One Punch Man

Posted by Nightmask 
One Punch Man
December 07, 2015 01:15AM
Kept noticing this on TVTropes for a while now and finally checked out what there is of it translated online and it's a pretty nice manga.

The titular One Punch Man was a normal Salaryman (think average white-collar worker) whose world has a lot of monsters, freaks of nature, etc in it. One day after being rejected at a job interview while seeking work he comes across a human-turned-monster looking to kill a kid for a tacky joke on him and as a result of the event reinvigorating hiim when he had become totally dejected with life (he looked so lifeless in the eyes the monster originally spared him just because he looked dead inside already) he devoted himself to becoming a hero instead. Somehow his basic workout regimen takes him beyond his human limits, shattering them completely so that just 3 years later he's been completely transformed, losing all his hair but becoming unknown to anyone the most powerful being on Earth.

Unfortunately for him this has also removed all excitement from his life, as he can literally one-punch any threat to death. His super-strength is totally off the charts (in fact it's so incredible that even the guy that ends up working with him the most can't even begin to guess how strong he is), he's invulnerable to harm, has reflexes so fast and senses so sharp he ends up with a nemesis because he had no problems tracking the 'ultimate ninja' and casually plucking his weapons out of the air.

The drama of the comic comes from him trying to regain what he'd lost in becoming so powerful (only in his dreams does he manage to really feel excitement and fear as only there does he ever have threats that challenge him), while living in a world that's almost a Death World. The cities and various offshots are simply labled from A to Z (so we see not just A City where the licensed hero organization for the world is headquartered but Z Ville where One Punch Man lives) and many are heroes in name only. Hazings of newbies is apparently common and heroes are broken into classifications from C to S class, with One Punch Man's sidekick (a powerful cyborg) ending up qualifying for S class right off while One Punch Man himself starts at the bottom of C (he did poorly on the written exam and they completely ignored just how off the charts his physical exam was).

Makes for a good read, and you'll find since the heroes names are assigned by the organization they're as lazily descriptive as it gets (multiple characters have Tank Top in their title because they had tanktops on, and One Punch Man ends up called Caped Baldy when he finally earns an official name). Makes me hope they translate more of it soon.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: One Punch Man
December 07, 2015 01:11PM
I didn't never read the japanese comics but I like the way that sounds almost lazy because lets face it your going to get that a lot in the real world with who decides names for things. smiling smiley

How would you do stats for that guy though, just make him Superman strong or something?
December 07, 2015 08:27PM
spiderfan88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't never read the japanese comics but I like
> the way that sounds almost lazy because lets face
> it your going to get that a lot in the real world
> with who decides names for things. smiling smiley
>
> How would you do stats for that guy though, just
> make him Superman strong or something?

Well given he was able to leap from the top of a skyscraper and destroy an asteroid in one punch strength in the Shift Z range seems the minimum for him, along with at least Unearthly True Invulnerability. His strength is so unfathomably high he had no problems when punched to the moon by an invading alien leader he easily leaped all the way back to Earth simply be deciding to jump back. He still needs to do things like eat and sleep but he's not shown much vulnerability beyond that. He seems to have an Agility in the Monstrous to Unearthly range and his senses are sufficiently acute he's as far as the part I've read up to not been taken by surprise by anyone and as also noted he plucks super-fast objects out of the air with ease even when tossed from behind and in one of the earlier encounters he has one of the monsters was a humanoid mole creature; he has no problems digging into the earth to get him.

He also seems to have the common rooting power of super-strong characters, so he generally doesn't get knocked through the air unless he lets it happen. He's had kaiju-sized monsters strike him in the head from behind and he didn't even budge, totally no selled their attack to the point a crowd of people watching convinced themselves the monster had to have missed because they saw no reaction out of Saitama/One Punch Man.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
December 17, 2015 01:02PM
thanks for the power explanations, that is one of the most fun things with MSH RPG type games for me is working out the stats for people. smiling smiley
December 17, 2015 01:07PM
spiderfan88 Wrote:
> thanks for the power explanations, that is one of
> the most fun things with MSH RPG type games for me
> is working out the stats for people. smiling smiley

You're quite welcome, and I've more than a few characters I've statted and posted in the canon character section.

There's even a point where One Punch Man is dealing with a ninja that's decided to be his nemesis and the ninja is showing off a new technique where he can move so fast he can create multiple after-images, OPM just casually on the fly not only instantly copies the technique but creates such a nigh-infinite string of after-images that he easily overwhelms and defeats the ninja.

-- Peter David

Link to the manga
December 17, 2015 01:08PM
Here's a link to where I found the manga at for anyone interested in checking it out.

[www.mangareader.net]

-- Peter David

October 17, 2016 07:15PM
I really wish that they were translating this comic faster. Reading the Tropes page for it there's a human character you see who's always identified with the villain since he was a little kid so grows up to be a villain himself, in fact he starts getting called a human monster because while he's human and looks human he acts like a monster and has the power to grow more powerful after every defeat similar to Doomsday or a Saiyan. Comically though on the Tropes page when he finally fights the titular One-Punch Man his power has him get more and more powerful only to be one-shotted each time until he starts LOSING power until he ends up back at zero, so he actually hits a maximum point and because OPM is infinitely more powerful than everything his power ends up running in reverse. I SOOOOO want to see that but it looks like it'll be late next year if ever that it'll get translated to that point. What a bummer.

-- Peter David

October 17, 2016 09:59PM
Ahem.... you may enjoy this:

October 18, 2016 03:29AM
Have you seen the anime adaptation? How would you say it holds up to the manga, is it a good adaptation?

Also, fun fact, OPM started out as a somewhat crude (as in crude art style, not crude humor) self-published b&w webcomic (done as a hobby/side thing) in 2009. Webcomic --> Manga (in 2012) --> anime (in 2015) -- that's a heck of a journey in only six years!

Be Ex/20 to each other.
October 18, 2016 10:02AM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
> Have you seen the anime adaptation? How would you
> say it holds up to the manga, is it a good
> adaptation?

I've seen at least a season, it was fair but some of the changes were grating. For example when one-punching a particular big bad after it decimated all the heroes that had fought it at that point to protect the civilians in a shelter in the manga he simply looks after Licenseless Bicycle Rider Man and his disciple while the crowd starts inventing reasons for how he couldn't possibly have really taken out the bad guy with one punch in the anime he hears all that and starts downplaying his achievement and saying how the other heroes had simply weakened it enough for him to take out and playing up the other heroes which I felt was just wrong. The character REALLY doesn't care what people think and whether or not he's real, he's as invulnerable to their criticisms as he is to nuclear weapons.

> Also, fun fact, OPM started out as a
> somewhat crude (as in crude art style, not crude
> humor) self-published b&w webcomic (done as a
> hobby/side thing) in 2009. Webcomic --> Manga (in
> 2012) --> anime (in 2015) -- that's a heck of a
> journey in only six years!

Very fun fact, going from that start to being a recognized and likely profitable writer/artist in such a short time.

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 10
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.