One power

Posted by Savagex1 
One power
February 04, 2016 03:29AM
Hey everybody

After a post I did over a year ago I've pretty much just lurked here. But when I was around 15 my two brothers and I played a one shot game of Marvel, the rules for character creation were simple: Pick an archetype and based off of that assign your FASERIP 1 stat may be Rm everything else is Ex or below and 1 power, no power duplication.

Had a blast playing a drifter with Animal Mimicry while my brother played a street preacher with Biophysical Control-Healing.

I often think about how that game would have been different had I chosen a different power, so my question is given the rules above how would you build, what would your 1 power be?
Re: One power
February 04, 2016 10:14AM
Weather control. It starts off a little weak in that you don't get any power stunts, but the power stunts are cheaper (50 Karma instead of 100) and controlling the weather would be awesome. You can ruin people's day by raining on their picnic or parade... or put out fires. You can summon winds to knock them down, rip the shingles off the roof of their house, or blow their dog into the next county when they take it out for a walk... or you could make a fortune helping people generate electricity with windmills. You could freeze their plumbing in the summer time or heat up the day so their car is unbearably hot to get into when they go to drive home from work... or you could extend harvest season for farmers and keep temperatures above freezing so roads don't freeze and become a hazard for other drivers. You can summon lightning to smite someone you don't like where they stand or... smite someone else for no reason whatsoever... or even provide 1.21 gigawatts of power on demand for someone's time traveling DeLorean.

Very versatile power.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 05, 2016 10:23AM
Nice choice, Thrudjelmer.

One power...I would go with Telereformation. Range is insane, and with power stunts you could completely rebuild yourself, make duplicates, heal, shapeshift, etc.

February 05, 2016 11:09AM
One power? Technopathy...mentally communing with technology, and numerous potential stunts for comprehending and manipulating it. Probably better that I don't wield such power though.

Or, if we're going for gaming the system... Magic or Cosmic Energy Manipulation, either of which offers endless stunts to do virtually anything. Or just get insane and take Omnipotence and be God. tongue sticking out smiley
February 05, 2016 02:28PM
Teleportation as my power and my highest stat is Intelligence. He is a "Black Block" anarchist, who has been embedded in a Fortune 500 company since 9/09, and actually likes his co-workers after all this time. With his power, he follows an app for disasters as they happen, leaves work, rescues people and returns unnoticed.

He tells himself the living room full of vintage furniture and the Barney's New York Collection in his closet are just deep cover. He just might have to marry that Sammantha from accounting, too.

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.
February 05, 2016 03:18PM
Oh right, I forgot my one stat. I would have to go with Reason to back up the weather control power. The smarter the better for thinking through weather patterns to be able to maximize effects, and also just because yeah strength and other physical aspects has an immediate advantage in conflict resolution, but being able to out think and outwit an opponent would be preferable.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 05, 2016 03:33PM
February 06, 2016 11:33AM
I think if I were to play it again I'd go with Energy Solidification.

Though other thoughts I had were being an elite spec ops. All Ex abilities with Regeneration or True Invulnerability.
February 06, 2016 12:18PM
Plasma Generation would be good as well as Neural Manipulation
February 23, 2016 05:54PM
Shadowshaping.
March 23, 2016 07:21PM
Hmm...tough one. Actually I think I might be tempted to take Beast Boys animal duplication power. Hide fight or flight, you would have them all covered. At my age though I think I would appreciate regeneration the best.
March 24, 2016 03:24AM
airedale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmm...tough one. Actually I think I might be
> tempted to take Beast Boys animal duplication
> power. Hide fight or flight, you would have them
> all covered. At my age though I think I would
> appreciate regeneration the best.

Yes, very cool idea. Can I have it and not be green>

March 26, 2016 06:53AM
After watching JESSICA JONES, part of me thinks Mind Control ala Killgrave had would be awesome.

Joe Solarte stats, background. [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
March 26, 2016 09:46AM
GmJoeSolarte Wrote:
> After watching JESSICA JONES, part of me thinks
> Mind Control ala Killgrave had would be awesome.

I would totally abuse Mind Control..."Get off the road!", "Stop being such a prick!", etc.

March 26, 2016 11:15AM
barna10 Wrote:
> GmJoeSolarte Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > After watching JESSICA JONES, part of me thinks
> > Mind Control ala Killgrave had would be
> awesome.
>
>
> I would totally abuse Mind Control..."Get off the
> road!", "Stop being such a prick!", etc.

Dunno what I would REALLY do, but I know I could do well. I guess I would win at every Poker Tournament I would do, where I could LEGALLY make money and be able to report it.

Joe Solarte stats, background. [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
March 26, 2016 11:57AM
barna10 Wrote:
> I would totally abuse Mind Control..."Get off the
> road!", "Stop being such a prick!", etc.

Most legitimate use I've ever heard. smileys with beer

March 28, 2016 06:16PM
I'd have to go with RM Agility and gate way.
Yes you can use it to travel, but in combat you could power stunt redirecting in coming attacks, or use "one way" doors and fun locations for an offensive kick.
For offence, I'm thinking small exit door just in front of a hand or eye and the entrance door located at the bottom of the sea,, within the sun, within the mantle of the Earth. Etc.
Then there's recon possibilities. Imagine if the door fuctioned like a spycam or a two way mirror.
April 24, 2016 02:51PM
Gateway used correctly could be a devastating sing power.

You could create a prison an entrance - exit extremely close together creating a loop through which your victim... I mean villain, continuously travels. Similar to one of Superman's solutions for Doomsday.

You can kill less durable people by placing an exit against a brick wall, the way they crushed the Goa'uld in Stargate by putting a steel plate on their side of the gate, so this technique might be best reserved for armored characters.

Since Time and Dimensions are also possible, you can have your own doorway to the negative Zone, like Reed Richards or a fun one way trip to Jornada del Muerto, New Mexico, at 5:29:21 pm July 16, 1945 for a front row visit to the first Manhattan Project test. Useful in taking down a global threat.

A small door to the vacuum of space, inside a villain's mouth, can be a real field leveler when fighting heavy weights.

April 24, 2016 03:50PM
Tigerfaced God Wrote:
> Gateway used correctly could be a devastating sing
> power.
>
> You could create a prison an entrance - exit
> extremely close together creating a loop through
> which your victim... I mean villain, continuously
> travels. Similar to one of Superman's solutions
> for Doomsday.
>
> You can kill less durable people by placing an
> exit against a brick wall, the way they crushed
> the Goa'uld in Stargate by putting a steel plate
> on their side of the gate, so this technique might
> be best reserved for armored characters.
>
> Since Time and Dimensions are also possible, you
> can have your own doorway to the negative Zone,
> like Reed Richards or a fun one way trip to
> Jornada del Muerto, New Mexico, at 5:29:21 pm July
> 16, 1945 for a front row visit to the first
> Manhattan Project test. Useful in taking down a
> global threat.
>
> A small door to the vacuum of space, inside a
> villain's mouth, can be a real field leveler when
> fighting heavy weights.

This right here are many of the reasons I won't let myself take this power...

April 25, 2016 05:09AM
> This right here are many of the reasons I won't let myself take this power...

It is better to have a power with this potential and not need it, than not have it and the whole team gets killed.

When I had a character with gateway I mostly used it for group travel and an extra-dimensional prison.

April 25, 2016 07:33AM
Oh, I agree 100%. I'm just too evil and creative and lack enough constraint to use it. Just like my character Dr. Jekyl with Grafting....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 9
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.