Animate Matter... into a battlesuit?

Posted by BWS2K 
Animate Matter... into a battlesuit?
February 12, 2016 05:29AM
Greetings!

I rolled up a character recently with Molecular Creation and Matter Animation both at Incredible rank. I was considering limiting both to adamantium, which boosts them each +1CS, but I had a further thought - could Matter Animation be used to build and control a solid construct around the hero? Like a battlesuit or mech or something? An adamantium golem certainly seems possible, why not a hollow one with my hero inside? Thoughts?

-BW
Re: Animate Matter... into a battlesuit?
February 12, 2016 05:44AM
absolutely - especially as a power stunt
February 12, 2016 06:11AM
Yeah, I'm new to the system still but reading about Power Stunts at the moment. It totally seems plausible. Might take a while to create enough adamantium to make a usable golem/suit though. winking smiley

Thanks!
February 14, 2016 03:27AM
I wouldn't bother with adamantium only though - even if you limit it to adamantium only - even if your GM gives you the power increase to do it you limiting yourself way too much. obviously that is a personal preference thing though

what about the limitation 'battle suits only'? Most GMs would give you a column shift for that, and then you can do power stunts in game to learn how to do things other than just battle suits...
February 16, 2016 03:58PM
Sounds like sorta the Green Lantern like ring, where you point and activate and whatever you are building constructs.

Joe Solarte stats, background. [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
February 17, 2016 06:09AM
Reminds me of Madison Jeffries in the Box armor. (pg. 25 of 1990 handbook in downloads, the one with Spider-Man on the cover)
Had a number of stunts he could do in regard to the armor on top of the armors functionality.
March 11, 2016 06:27PM
I remember we were for some reason cranking out a lot of random characters, heros and villains for some reason. I remember we were selecting names that quite frankly were stupid (it was the point I think).

So when we did a character with Matter Manipulation, I decided to call him "Whats-The-Matter"

March 12, 2016 05:01AM
Clever. grinning smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 13, 2016 11:04AM
Some of the creations I did for this ridiculous ideas we were going with, and I think off the top of my head.......the fewer powers you had, the better it could be. For example, my brother wanted his personal character in this spin off world to still be Iron Man like.....so he was allowed to have Personal Body Armor, with flight, ranged energy weapon, some other things........at TYPICAL level. Typical body armor. Typical flight. Typical energy blaster. And were very strict on his actual bonuses in the armor. We ruled it could be no more then +2 CS, so if he wanted to be at +2 STR, that was it. If he wanted more he had to lose it, so if he wanted +3 to his str, he would have to go -1 to something else.

In addition to "What's-The-Matter", whom I think had Poor flight and Good Matter Manipulation, I created such notable characters as......
  • The Incredible Shrinking Kid
  • The Invisible Man
  • Hee-Haw (could body transform into a winged donkey)

stupid stuff like that.

I designed his personal enemy called, and I think I told this story before, his enemy was also in a powered armor, and was called .

My brother was insistent that I could not take that name, and we did side-adventures, where he was attacking journalists on TV for calling him "The Expletive", "The Bleep", "The Censored", "The Unmentionable Word" anything but his real name and he was going nuts over it. One time, he was holding up a TV Station and demanded the news anchor say his name. When he said, there was a BEEP done. He demanded to know who did it, and was told that the Censors did it, and how no one knows whom they really are.

March 15, 2016 04:02PM
Animated battle suit is a great idea.

All different types of matter is excellent and all kinds of different forms makes a very dangerous character.

Nice.

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.
March 15, 2016 06:28PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit more than the power was intended to do? To animate matter to get Body Armor is one thing, to animate it so it can fly or shoot blasts from the hands requires a lot more than simply making it move. Wiring, conduits, circuitry, a power source, and those are just a few examples. You would also need to know exactly how do to all that in the first place, ie super genius level intellect or about 4-5 different doctorates. Not to mention the ability to always be concentrating enough to keep all of those parts doing what you want them to do would, while in the midst of a raging battle, take some serious multi-tasking. For example Box had a suit of armor that was its own creation and then he used his power to augment it beyond what the wiring and circuits could do on its own.

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just build the suit of armor and then augment it with your powers than to create it out of whole cloth with whatever was around.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
March 15, 2016 11:40PM
Warlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit more
> than the power was intended to do? To animate
> matter to get Body Armor is one thing, to animate
> it so it can fly or shoot blasts from the hands
> requires a lot more than simply making it move.
> Wiring, conduits, circuitry, a power source, and
> those are just a few examples. You would also need
> to know exactly how do to all that in the first
> place, ie super genius level intellect or about
> 4-5 different doctorates. Not to mention the
> ability to always be concentrating enough to keep
> all of those parts doing what you want them to do
> would, while in the midst of a raging battle, take
> some serious multi-tasking. For example Box had a
> suit of armor that was its own creation and then
> he used his power to augment it beyond what the
> wiring and circuits could do on its own.
>
> Seems like it would be a lot easier to just build
> the suit of armor and then augment it with your
> powers than to create it out of whole cloth with
> whatever was around.

not sure I agree. If the concept is 'animated matter battle suits' then it would do things slightly differently from the traditional 'sci-tech' battle suit you describe, but would still be identifiable to the layman as a 'battle suit' (Tony Stark and Reed Richards may well cry with pain at the incorrect use of nomenclature, but no one else would give a toss!)

So the animated matter suit would fly, but perhaps by growing wings (power stunt? probably); not via repulser/jet boots

The animated suit would have a range attack by firing chunks of itself (power stunt? probably not) or by detaching the 'gauntlets' form the rest of the body coating; not by generating energy blasts (that would be some sort of power stunt: -3CS to generate a sonic boom blast by moving the material really fast perhaps like a pistol shrimp?)

To be honest other than the fact it uses solid matter - this power sounds a lot like the energy sheath one (I dont have time to give a book/page reference but i m sure some one lese here can oblige if its needed) - maybe it would be a good idea to cross reference the write up for that power to get a few idea of the suits abilities and possible power stunts?
March 29, 2016 07:16PM
While playing Amalgam's Uni-Boy, (Captain Universe merged with Ultra-Boy),

I had him pull whatever material was handy to himself, form it around his body, change it into stainless steel then use Molding to animate it.

Great idea.
Armor sounds do-able.
Perhaps a colony of nanobots.
An ability to add a little extra matter
and some computing power opens it up to just about anything.....anything.

Perhaps just wear armor and use powers.
(Like Windshear from Alpha Flight).

Personally like using natural powers to augment the armor....
(Ala the villain Axe from the original Valiant comics).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 8
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.