Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

Posted by GmJoeSolarte 
Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice
March 26, 2016 06:57AM
Saw it yesterday. Loved it.

WHAT I LIKED: Ben Affleck's Batman. Very much based off the animated series or the Arkham video game series. Had that feel and look to it, both in appearance and his fighting style.

WHAT I LOVED: Gal Gadot as WonderWoman was AWESOME!!! Loved her! And did enough in this film that you will see a connection between it and the WonderWoman film from next year. The origin for The Cyborg was AWESOME.

What I did not like: Lex Luthor was a bit too much like the Joker that he may as well have been him. I'm not knocking Ezra Miller yet, but I don't see why, based on what we saw, why not use Grant Gustin's Flash instead.

I give it a solid B.

Joe Solarte stats, background. [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Re: Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice
March 26, 2016 02:33PM
Not quite horrible enough to rename my list of movies that suck almost as much as Star Wars the Force Awakens, but definitely among the top 20 piles of steaming excrement on that list.

About the only redeeming feature of this snoozefest was Wonder Woman.

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
March 26, 2016 05:38PM
The pace was so slow. Half way through it felt like 3 hours. "Wow" moments came off as "ok". Jeremy Irons is an amazing actor and they gave him nothing to do as Alfred.

Thought the take on Lex Luthor was interesting. Liked it a little better than the "evil genius" and "mad scientist" versions in other media. Sure plenty will hate the character.

Loved Wonder Woman. When she appeared, people in the theater cheered.

The Justice League glimpse was good. Aquaman looks different, I'm guessing to make him look different than Thor and Cyborg's origin story was pretty well told in 45 seconds.

Had a lot of reservations about the Batman character they presented. Didn't think Affleck was horrible, he had to deal with a bunch of scenes that were not interesting. Fight scenes were slow and I don't think he was to blame for that. Cavill was the same Superman as last time, but plagued with self doubt and regret about the people killed in Metropolis.

The actual Batman vs Superman fight was ok, with moments of awesome. Though flawed, there were a number of very good moments. Way better than Green Lantern.

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.
March 26, 2016 05:39PM
Dead Sidekick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not quite horrible enough to rename my list of
> movies that suck almost as much as Star Wars the
> Force Awakens, but definitely among the top 20
> piles of steaming excrement on that list.
>
> About the only redeeming feature of this
> snoozefest was Wonder Woman.

I agree. the movie was boring and they needed to take about an hour out of the film. Wonder Woman was good and the final battle was good. The only problem was I was half asleep from boredom by the time the fight happened. Doomsday looked like borrowed cgi of the trolls in LOTR. Not a strong start to the DC movies so far.
FTJ
March 27, 2016 12:32PM
I spotted Man of Tomorrow. These negative movie reviews seem to be getting to him. winking smiley

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
March 27, 2016 12:37PM
First I like to say I was very wrong, I was one of those people who did not want to see anyone else, but Christian Bale as Batman.... Ben Affleck nailed the role completely & made it his own, and was GREAT as Batman!

Henry Cavill as Superman was on point as the Man of Steel.

Jeremy Iron's gave a solid performance as Alfred Pennyworth.

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was AMAZING!!

Jason Momoa as Aquaman looked good (I would had preferred to see Momoa as Lobo).

Ray Fisher as Cyborg was interesting.

_What I did not like about Batman Vs. Superman_

Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luther, if Zack Snyder's intent was to make the viewing audience hate the character.... it worked and I did.

Doomsday cgi was lacking badly and the canon origin now changed to using dna from both General Zod & Lex Luther, just felt like flawed storytelling much like the character.

Ezra Miller as Flash, based on what is seen of the hero so far, why Zack Snyder did not use Grant Gustin as Flash instead is beyond simply logic to me.... if the formula is working, don't change it.

Overall Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice is a good movie and I would rate it a B+; go see it while it is in the theaters, you will not be disappointed. smoking smiley

The Cutter

March 27, 2016 07:04PM
I didn't like Affleck as Bruce Wayne or Bats. Branding enemies with your "logo" is another costumed character's schtick (re: The Phantom) and even in a cinematic universe where "Superman" has already killed thousands if not a million people smashing Metropolis, it still seems weird to see a sadistic and cruel "Batman" going Captain Howdy on his prey.

This movie would have worked during the rise of "dark" comic books leading up to Kingdom Come, but nowadays it just seems like the "edgey" storytelling got dull 25 years ago.

This was an Elseworlds story where the premise is "what if Batman and Superman were written and directed by someone who's never been within 24,000 miles of a DC comic?"

March 30, 2016 05:40AM
I've been dropping my two cents all over the place for this film. I give it a soild 9/10 for what I believe to be a genuine interpretation of multiple comic storylines from paper to the big screen with a modern day/real world twist. There are definitely things that I didn't like such as the dark filter Snyder uses on everything. And other things like casting choices or plot points that were not the choices I would have made but I accept and appreciate for what they were. As a fanboy I don't give my allegiance blindly, I'm more protective than anyone. In the end I believe everyone should see the film for themselves and form their own opinion. I would just hope they keep an open mind about the many visions that go into making a film like this. And while it may not be their personal interpretation of the story/characters at least respect the hard work that went into making it.

~This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good...
March 30, 2016 10:03AM
The Man of Tomorrow Wrote:
> In the end I believe everyone should see the
> film for themselves and form their own opinion.
> I would just hope they keep an open mind about
> the many visions that go into making a film like this.

If I have to go into the movie keeping an open mind, then the movie is failing me already. I have an opinion of the movie without having seen it, and from what little I have seen, I think sitting through the movie would only make that opinion worse and I would need to vent that opinion... loudly... everywhere. So it's probably best that I just avoid it, and also I don't want one dollar of my money going to the box office returns so they can point to how much money it made and say "People DO love this movie," and know that they think I'm one of them. Nope.

> And while it may not be their personal interpretation
> of the story/characters at least respect the hard work
> that went into making it.

I don't respect hard work unless I like the results. Someone can build me a house and work really hard at it... but, in the end, if the house does not meet my expectations, then I'm not only not going to respect the hard work that went into it, I'm going to criticize and possibly openly badmouth the person(s) who did the work.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 30, 2016 10:49AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> I have an opinion of the movie without having seen it

Judge a book by it's cover much?

> I don't respect hard work unless I like the results.

Way to be super negative Thrudjelmer...

~This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good...
FTJ
March 30, 2016 12:08PM
All I can say is they lost me with the trailers. I'm not a Batman fan, and I'm not a big enough Superman fan to want to see him in another movie that Zack Snyder is involved with. I feel like if they don't dump Snyder and soon, DC Comics is on the road to becoming defunct or sold off to Marvel at a bargain basement price.

I miss Gene.

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
March 30, 2016 12:22PM
My wife and I went with one of our sons to see this last night.

I expected to really hate it, and I didn't.

It actually somewhat salvaged what I thought was the worst Superman realisation of all time from the atrocious Man of Steel.

Wonder Woman doesn't look right but then Aquaman isn't blonde any more either so it is what it is. The Xena / Captain America "inspiration" is obviously going to be very strong indeed going forward with Wonder Woman related films.

I enjoyed the Flash stuff, and could barely even make out the identity of the actor playing the character.

It seems that in the BvS universe heroes are pretty comfortable with never keeping any Karma. So be it.
March 30, 2016 08:32PM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> The Man of Tomorrow Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > And while it may not be their personal interpretation
> > of the story/characters at least respect the hard work
> > that went into making it.
>
> I don't respect hard work unless I like the
> results. Someone can build me a house and work
> really hard at it... but, in the end, if the house
> does not meet my expectations, then I'm not only
> not going to respect the hard work that went into
> it, I'm going to criticize and possibly openly
> badmouth the person(s) who did the work.

That's really the harsh reality of things, doesn't matter how much hard work and effort is put into something if the results don't meet muster then the hard work has earned no respect. You hire someone to wash your car, 4hrs later after he's been at it all that time the car is STILL looking pretty dirty you don't go 'well at least I should respect the hard work on his part' you go 'after all that the car's STILL dirty?'. Moviegoers want that clean car not the dirty one.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
March 31, 2016 11:17AM
The Man of Tomorrow Wrote:
> Judge a book by it's cover much?
>
> Way to be super negative Thrudjelmer...

The DC superhero movies have given me absolutely no reason to not be super negative or to bother looking past the "book's" cover at this point. I keep seeing more of the same, and I'm just sick of it... so yeah, that's how it is. I'm not a fan of all the Marvel movies, and some of the changes they make to their stories don't sit well with me either, but I will say that Marvel has consistently made more of an effort to try and the difference between their movies and DC's is night and day (almost literally), so I'm more willing to keep an open mind toward their movies. I've been down on the X-Men movies from the start (as well as the Fantastic Four movies), but Deadpool has turned me around on that studio... because if they can manage to turn out a gem like that, then there's still hope for them.

FTJ Wrote:
> All I can say is they lost me with the trailers.
> I'm not a Batman fan, and I'm not a big enough
> Superman fan to want to see him in another movie
> that Zack Snyder is involved with. I feel like if
> they don't dump Snyder and soon, DC Comics is on
> the road to becoming defunct or sold off to Marvel
> at a bargain basement price.

This exactly. Snyder is part of that book cover I am judging, and he needs to go. The trailers have been all I've needed to say "OH HELL NO, NOT FOR ME!"

Nightmask Wrote:
> That's really the harsh reality of things, doesn't
> matter how much hard work and effort is put into
> something if the results don't meet muster then
> the hard work has earned no respect. You hire
> someone to wash your car, 4hrs later after he's
> been at it all that time the car is STILL looking
> pretty dirty you don't go 'well at least I should
> respect the hard work on his part' you go 'after
> all that the car's STILL dirty?'. Moviegoers want
> that clean car not the dirty one.

Word. thumbs up cool smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 31, 2016 04:24PM

Wrong foot, wrong path.

March 31, 2016 07:03PM
[birthmoviesdeath.com]

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 01, 2016 04:58AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> [birthmoviesdeath.com]
> d-the-damage-done

I have to agree. The Man of Steel movie did not give us a Superman that is worthy of wearing "the symbol of hope" much less being one.

BvS Dawn of Justice was worse and went on to reduce Batman to a high-tech thug. Despite being in a world where superhuman alien invaders throw a city at each other slaying untold thousands of innocents, Batman does not come off as a man sworn to protect the innocent when he's finally had enough of Supermaniac - this Batman has absolutely no code against killing and maims for life those he leaves alive for the cops to arrest. Batman the sadistic bully vs. Superman the destructive oaf.

DC signed off on this garbage?

April 14, 2016 02:42AM
So, for all those who think the internet and critics might be too harsh to Batman V Superman because people are jerks and have nothing nice to say about anything... I'll just leave this right here.

cool smiley

FTJ
April 15, 2016 07:59AM
I gotta share that with the world. smiling smiley

I miss Gene.

April 15, 2016 10:06AM
FTJ Wrote:
> I gotta share that with the world. smiling smiley

I felt the same way, so I started here. smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 8
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.