The Batman vs Superman Movie discussion.

Posted by Taarna 
December 08, 2016 05:06AM

I saw this movie recently for the first time. It was on my to do's but negative reviews, and other things in life took priority.

*** SPOILERS TALK ***

For openers, my main problem with the movie was with the headline casting. Ben Affleck isn't a very good actor unless the scene demands anger. While he looked the part of Batman, he didn't play or act it well.

Henry Cavill was terrible as Clark Kent and only okay as Superman. His hair wasn't right. I know that could be minor to some, but Superman, as I think of him, has a lot of hair. Also, Superman has many powers, they didn't show them here.

Jesse Eisenberg was pretty weak as Lex Luthor.

However, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was fantastic, the best part of the movie, even if she's only in it for 10 minutes. Her action scenes, and looks were fantastic!

If the movie had cast Christian Bale as Batman, and someone else as Superman, with a better script, oh what potential! But outside of the action scenes, this wasn't a very good movie, and it sort of wasted top level talents in Fishburne and Irons.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
Re: The Batman vs Superman Movie discussion.
December 08, 2016 05:51AM
Yeah this film has solicited a very mixed response among comic fans. As a big Superman fan there were many things that for me just didn't gel with the ideal Superman that lives in my mind. Things like the no trunks costume, the dark color scheme, lack of a spit curl, and so forth, things that were already problems left over from Man of Steel. As a big fan of comics however I'm able to step back and appreciate the film and the rest of the DCEU for what it is; a story that takes place in one of many possible realities. It's just another elseworlds take on the DC universe. I think if you can look at the films like this you can begin to appreciate the things about them that you do enjoy. For me that's the relationship Clark shares with his family and Lois, going back to the mad scientist roots of Lex Luthor, and Superman's willingness to sacrifice himself to save his adoptive planet. The movie isn't perfect by any means and I try not to look at it through the rose colored glasses of my fandom, but all in all I don't believe the film was as terrible as some others would have you believe. To each his own though, and if this film franchise isn't for you then I suggest the plethora of amazing animated films involving these characters such as All Star Superman, Superman vs the Elite, and Superman/Batman Public Enemies to name a few of my personal favorites.

~This is an imaginary story (which may never happen, but then again may) about a perfect man who came from the sky and did only good...
December 08, 2016 07:23AM
The Batman and Superman relationship in the animated Justice League
were pretty good.

I'd give the movie The Batman and Superman Dawn of Justice a 6.5 out of 10 as some scenes were great ( I like the Batmobile scenes ), but if I wasn't a comic book fan, I could see 5 out of 10 for joe average movie goer.

I guess comic book fan success is partly defined by expectations of a movie minus reality. I expected a lot more.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
FTJ
December 08, 2016 07:50AM
I too saw it for the first time not that long ago. It wasn't godawful like I expected, but I saw no reason why Affleck's Batman got great reviews. Henry Cavill is hawt so I have no complaints there. smiling smiley

All in all, I'm glad I didn't waste theater money on Batman v Superman v Xena v Young Joker v Moria Cave Troll. With Zack Snyder at the helm, it could have been much worse, but it still didn't do anything to make me want to pay theater prices to see any DCEU films in the future. I will stick with DC animation, which is consistently good to outstanding.

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
December 08, 2016 11:44AM
I give the movie a 2 out of 10... and that is high praise for Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie sucked so hard, it dragged her small appearance in it down rather than having her raise it up. I do look forward to the WW solo movie, but after seeing this movie, I had and still have zero interest in seeing the Justice League movie.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 08, 2016 06:45PM
It lost me at Batfleck using a branding iron on criminals, marking them. But, that Batman operates in a Jared Leto Joker world, so... seeing Suicide Squad makes the BvS characterization of Bats more tolerable, in a deviant fan fic sort of way. Hope Batfleck solo movie rocks that vibe.

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
December 09, 2016 05:05AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I give the movie a 2 out of 10... and that is high
> praise for Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman. Unfortunatel
> y, the rest of the movie sucked so hard, it dragge
> d her small appearance in it down rather than havi
> ng her raise it up. I do look forward to the WW s
> olo movie, but after seeing this movie, I had and
> still have zero interest in seeing the Justice Lea
> gue movie.

I'll see the Wonder Woman movie. Gal Gadot was fantastic.

The justice league movie might be good. Aquaman, and the Flash, if properly cast with the right script and screenplay combined with wonder woman could make it good.

Ironic, since Superman and Batman are the two most popular characters in the Justice League. So how about this, Superman and Batman take a vacation somewhere, and are only in 1/3 of the movie, with the majority of screen time given to the other characters!

Or re-cast both Batman and Superman...I know, it won't happen!

December 15, 2016 06:08PM
I haven't watched it yet, I do plan on it at some point. But I agree that Bats and Supes need a vacation. Batman movies now days only fuel the "Because I'm Batman" Meme and Superman movies just don't really do it for me. (To be fair the Hulk Movies had the same problem too much invincible god character) But I would pay to watch a Booster Gold movie, Give me Blue Beetle, tell me about the DC heroes other than Superman and Batman.
December 18, 2016 12:46AM
I'd give the Superman versus Batman movie a 7 out of 10. It seems I liked it more than most of the people here. Ben Affleck was a good Batman, being better than most not as well as some. I didn't care for the branding iron though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 10
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.