How does Selene's psychic vampirism work?

Posted by Tagline 
How does Selene's psychic vampirism work?
October 26, 2018 05:17PM
Can anyone shed some light on this one? It's not very clear:

Psychic Vampirism: Every use of Selene's powers (at Excellent level or over) require her to make an Endurance FEAT roll. Failure indicates a loss of 10 Health. Once below 20 Health, she begins to age rapidly. Her Health can only be regained by stealing it from others. She steals Psyche by touch, at Unearthly ability; she will then regain as many Health points as her prey has Psyche. By depriving a victim of his life force, she places him under her control, at Monstrous level of effectiveness (this requires 2 rounds of concentration). The victim loses as many Health points as he had Psyche points. If his Health points are depleted as a result, the victim dies and their body disintegrates. If the victim's Psyche is depleted but he remains alive, then he retains his free will, but becomes a psychic vampire like Selene (though not subject to her will).

----------------------------------------------

Psychic Vampirism: Every use of Selene's powers (at Excellent level or over) require her to make an Endurance FEAT roll. Failure indicates a loss of 10 Health. Once below 20 Health, she begins to age rapidly. Her Health can only be regained by stealing it from others.

>So far so good.

She steals Psyche by touch, at Unearthly ability;

>How? Does she need to make a roll for this. Is it a Fighting FEAT she needs to make or does she roll on the Unearthly column if so what result does she require? Or is the touch Automatic?

she will then regain as many Health points as her prey has Psyche.

>Okay.

By depriving a victim of his life force, she places him under her control, at Monstrous level of effectiveness (this requires 2 rounds of concentration).

>This is separate to the process of stealing life it's an optional extra she can choose to do. But what does 'at Monstrous level of effectiveness' mean? Does it mean the victim has an opportunity to break free of her control? If so how? Does the victim roll their own Psyche FEAT comparing to Monstrous in respect to rules regarding resistances?

The victim loses as many Health points as he had Psyche points. If his Health points are depleted as a result, the victim dies and their body disintegrates.

>Okay.

If the victim's Psyche is depleted but he remains alive, then he retains his free will, but becomes a psychic vampire like Selene (though not subject to her will).

>If the victim's Psyche is depleted? So it appears Selene's touch drains BOTH health and Psyche but how much Psyche does the victim lose exactly? All of it irrespective of how much he had? According to this she will then regain as many Health points as her prey has Psyche. implies all of it however this She steals Psyche by touch, at Unearthly ability implies she can only steal a maximum of Unearthly (100) points of Psyche from the victim.

I am confused.
Re: How does Selene's psychic vampirism work?
October 31, 2018 02:21AM
Here's my guess as to how it works:

Yes, I think Selene does have to make a Fighting FEAT to make a touch attack against her prey.
Once she has her hands on her prey, she can drain them of their Psyche at a rate of Unearthly rank for every round she continues to touch them. The prey also loses the same amount of Health points per round as they do Psyche points.
While Selene has her hands on her target, she places them under her mental control, making it easier to feed of them if she commands them not to struggle. It takes two rounds to get control of her target, during which time they could probably break out of it by making a Psyche roll... but if she already has her hands on her prey, that would mean she's already drained her target of 100 Psyche for that round, which means her prey would be at a severe disadvantage making any Psyche rolls, unless the drain takes place at the end of the round instead of immediately... something that must be clarified or determined by the Judge beforehand.
Finally, if Selene stops feeding or lets go of her prey for whatever reason... if they no longer have any Health after being drained of Psyche, they turn to dust, but if they have any Health left, they turn into psychic vampires.

Hopefully my answers were on point, or even just close to being right.
October 31, 2018 11:11AM
Maniacles
Here's my guess as to how it works:

Yes, I think Selene does have to make a Fighting FEAT to make a touch attack against her prey.
Once she has her hands on her prey, she can drain them of their Psyche at a rate of Unearthly rank for every round she continues to touch them. The prey also loses the same amount of Health points per round as they do Psyche points.
While Selene has her hands on her target, she places them under her mental control, making it easier to feed of them if she commands them not to struggle. It takes two rounds to get control of her target, during which time they could probably break out of it by making a Psyche roll... but if she already has her hands on her prey, that would mean she's already drained her target of 100 Psyche for that round, which means her prey would be at a severe disadvantage making any Psyche rolls, unless the drain takes place at the end of the round instead of immediately... something that must be clarified or determined by the Judge beforehand.
Finally, if Selene stops feeding or lets go of her prey for whatever reason... if they no longer have any Health after being drained of Psyche, they turn to dust, but if they have any Health left, they turn into psychic vampires.

Hopefully my answers were on point, or even just close to being right.

Yep I think so that's my interpretation of it also, thanks for contributing.
November 12, 2018 11:31AM
You know, a failed take over attempt by Selene might be a good origin for a low level psychic character.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 7
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.