Street Maps in the MSH products

Posted by barrataria 
Street Maps in the MSH products
September 19, 2020 05:38AM
Hi all, I've amassed a bit of a mishmash of MSH products over the years and never having played it BITD I'm not sure what's what. And I don't know what MSH fans commonly call each thing.

I have the "Deluxe City Campaign Set", "New York, New York", and the maps from the basic and advanced set (I think).

So, there are 4 poster maps that go together to make a faux-Manhattan broken up into "areas" for game purposes. I *think* the Basic Set map (was there only one?) covers 6th-9th Avenues from Hayes to Harrison Streets. Then one labeled from the Advanced set fits atop that one, from Hayes north to Pierce between 6th and 9th. To the east of the Basic map I have one labeled for the NY, NY set that goes through 10th-11th avenues ending at the fake East River.
To the south of the basic map I have one labeled "Secret Wars II" that continues 6-9th avenues down to Wilson Street.

1) Were there more poster maps for this faux-Manhattan?

Then, weirdly, although they put fake NY maps in the NY, NY set, the "Deluxe City" has two poster maps of (mostly real) midtown around Rockefeller Center, and a bunch of smaller area maps for various sites in the City.

2)Were there others made to fit with these maps?

Googling around shows various NY maps with Marvel locations superimposed; I have the Saga "Guide to Marvel Earth" which looks more or less like all of those.

3) Was the faux-Manhattan just a Jeff Grubb thing, or was it somehow related to comics? Other than the locations they crammed in there?

Thanks for any thoughts, I'm interested both in Marvel NY and TSR's various fake cities (Lakefront City from Gangbusters, Promise City from Boot Hill). I always thought about using the Gangbusters set and Moldvay's "Trouble Brewing" module as a superhero site. I'm curious if others took the faux-Manhattan and used it for other games.

And thanks for this site, although I was a huge Marvel "Bronze-Age" reader I started tuning out around the time the X-Men took over everything. By the time I started playing RPGs a few years later I never went back to supers games. Eventually I got some V&V stuff, but periodically I came across MSH things in used bookstores and once I realized how well-loved/supported the game still is I started paying more attention and got hold of the rulebooks. It's easy to see why it was so popular, and IMO it captures Marvel the way the d6 games once captured Star Wars. Perfectly.
Re: Street Maps in the MSH products
April 14, 2021 08:05PM
Look under Resources-Netbooks and Enhancements and you find the Mega map on how it all fits together, you can download it as well. It show you how to place the maps together if you have the product on hand.
Hope it what you were looking for

PS others have done maps, for outside the product, might ask if they are willing to share

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 26
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.