Ultimate Powers book "normal humans" issue

Posted by barna10 
Ultimate Powers book "normal humans" issue
May 09, 2021 02:57PM
I am not a fan of "normal" humans as PCs to begin with, but a human magic wielder rolling on column 2 seems overly restrictive, especially since rolling the same character using ROM would mean rolling on column 1.

I usually handle human mages as high-tech heros, just replacing +2cs reason for +2cs psyche and rolling on column 3. These seems far better for creating a super-class mage than capping psyche at RM.

Of course if you use basic set magic....a lower cap would make sense...but using the UPB, I'd assume you're not using basic set magic.

Thoughts?

Re: Ultimate Powers book "normal humans" issue
May 10, 2021 06:40AM
Hmmm
As i understand it, it geared toward just going and learning, nothing special happened. Just the normal chum who learned there an actual academy/school/secret cabal that offer teaching, From out right failures to top of the class, people go to get away from the humdrum of life.

Now if a player make a character specifically being a mage, nothing wrong in using your suggestion to get better stats, IE that truly remarkable gifted mage. It akin to rolling up a SD&D character, your stats are going to present you the options of what you can do, Mold the vision of the character taking shape, the only different is, there no prerequisite, since the die rolls are random to success.

So, this be more of a GM preview of when creating general NPC, roll on column 2, Player creation, roll on column 3, implement your suggestion and bam, you got a pretty awesome to start up with.
May 19, 2021 04:24AM
barna10
I am not a fan of "normal" humans as PCs to begin with, but a human magic wielder rolling on column 2 seems overly restrictive, especially since rolling the same character using ROM would mean rolling on column 1.

I usually handle human mages as high-tech heros, just replacing +2cs reason for +2cs psyche and rolling on column 3. These seems far better for creating a super-class mage than capping psyche at RM.

Of course if you use basic set magic....a lower cap would make sense...but using the UPB, I'd assume you're not using basic set magic.

Thoughts?

While not immediately obvious, there are other ways to generate a mage character. The core ROM rules assume that you are beginning with a normal human, enhanced human or someone in possession of a lot of mystic artifacts. It is almost required that the Judge develop some sort of optional system when combining the UPB, ROM and the Advanced and/or Basic sets.

However, one could begin with a different archetype, most notably alien or mutant and choose mystic origin and a school of magic as one of their powers. In this manner, one could create characters such as Urthona or the Scarlet Witch. As per core ROM rules, most beginning spell casters receive the ability to use eldritch bolts and a mystic shield at beginning spell rank (or power rank if converting to the UPB.)

Another option with high tech heroes, is that one could choose a school of magic as one of their powers and create a character based around the school of scientific magic.

The basics of character generation in ROM is somewhat restricted in the beginning, however, it is important to note that magic ranks and abilities can be purchased far cheaper than actual powers, which allows for quick advancement and magic can be used to simulate any other power.

The rules for normal humans work just fine in my opinion, well enough, that one can structure an entire Hyborian era campaign around the rules for Normal Humans and Realms of Magic. The rules for Normal Human character creation which appeared in Dragon Magazine are far more preferable to the ones in the UPB, allowing for more skilled and capable humans.

Personally, I have always enjoyed the ROM accessory as it does add some much needed variety to the game system, but nothing states that you can't mix things up a little to open the door to a more equitable character creation system. Any Judge or GM will have developed a more fluid character creation system/rules system over time if using multiple MSH products and accessories simply because of the slight rule differences which appeared over the game's evolution, the Advanced Set offers Power Stunts, UPB offers expanded origins and powers, Revised Basic offers a cleaned up and streamlined rules system and officially introduced intensities, ROM of magic opens doors to mysticism in the Marvel Universe.

One world of adventure is never enough.
May 30, 2021 05:55AM
Totally agree with everyone you just stated, except for using table 2. A max of EX for PCs is brutal in the average campaign, especially when you consider 95% of their stats are going to GD or less (75% TY or less)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 25
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.