Electronic Counter Measures

Posted by barna10 
Electronic Counter Measures
July 17, 2021 07:15PM
Re: Electronic Counter Measures
July 22, 2021 05:19AM
ECM takes a couple of forms, jamming and spoofing. For jamming, you're just overwhelming systems to drown out your actual signature in the generated noise. Spoofing involves tricking the detecting party into thinking you're somewhere else or creating multiple false signatures so hopefully they try to shoot down the decoys and not you. You could also expand this to include hacking, since you're emitting active signals. To that end, here's a quick power stunt list:

Detection: Energy Detection
Energy Control: Electrical Control, Magnetic Manipulation (EM waves), and Radiowave Control
Energy Emission: Electrical Generation (probably close range), Energy Doppelganger, Light Emission, Magnetism, Plasma Generation (at high levels), and Radiowave Generation
Illusory Power: All of them. I'd say it's a different power stunt to fool electronics/robots vs. visible light for biologics.
Lifeform Control: Neural Manipulation.
Matter Conversion: Ionization. At really high levels you can fry the detecting equipment and maybe change local atmospheric conditions.
Mental: Communicate with Cybernetics
Self Alteration: Blending and Invisibility or Phasing if your ECM guy is Reed Richards :-)
July 22, 2021 03:45PM
barna10
This is listed in the various tomes by Necromancer...

I'm looking for power stunt ideas. Thoughts?

It originally appeared in the Iron Man write up in the Revised Basic Campaign Book. (p. 20) thumbs up

One world of adventure is never enough.
July 23, 2021 05:29AM
Also remember that ECM can go into superhuman territory... for example, Iron Man using readings taken of Spider-Man when he wore the red & gold armor Stark created for him after Peter switched sides in the first Civil War to find a way to baffle his Spider-Sense and create false positives, rendering the power temporarily useless. I'd call tricking a superhuman sense with technological ECM stuff a definite power stunt.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 24, 2021 01:46PM
Thanks all, good stuff.

Everything else I rolled for the character led me to a more supernatural origin. I'm interpreting the power as his supernatural nature screwing with electronic detection ie his "unnaturalness" screws with things, like a vampire not being able to be photographed or Slenderman being fuzzy on camera.

July 24, 2021 04:41PM
Perfectly valid interpretation. I think maybe ECM is a little too specific a name and their should be a better, more generic term that covers the non-electronic application of this kind of effect.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 27, 2021 07:42AM
Pel Morba
ECM takes a couple of forms, jamming and spoofing. For jamming, you're just overwhelming systems to drown out your actual signature in the generated noise. Spoofing involves tricking the detecting party into thinking you're somewhere else or creating multiple false signatures so hopefully they try to shoot down the decoys and not you. You could also expand this to include hacking, since you're emitting active signals. To that end, here's a quick power stunt list:

Detection: Energy Detection
Energy Control: Electrical Control, Magnetic Manipulation (EM waves), and Radiowave Control
Energy Emission: Electrical Generation (probably close range), Energy Doppelganger, Light Emission, Magnetism, Plasma Generation (at high levels), and Radiowave Generation
Illusory Power: All of them. I'd say it's a different power stunt to fool electronics/robots vs. visible light for biologics.
Lifeform Control: Neural Manipulation.
Matter Conversion: Ionization. At really high levels you can fry the detecting equipment and maybe change local atmospheric conditions.
Mental: Communicate with Cybernetics
Self Alteration: Blending and Invisibility or Phasing if your ECM guy is Reed Richards :-)

Sleep-Induced seems like a fair addition to this

July 27, 2021 10:23AM
barna10

Sleep-Induced seems like a fair addition to this

Agreed. I was looking for an analog for Vertigo's Equilibrium Distortion and Neural Manipulation seemed to fit. Completely skipped over Induced Sleep. Make them dizzy or sleepy. Either way, they're not trying to punch your lights out. :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 22
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.