All-speak query

Posted by SunWuKong 
All-speak query
March 04, 2022 05:02AM
Just a quick one guys (and gals).

Entries for Asgardians have All-speak/toungue. This is (from an in-universe comic perspective) a good device for speeding up storytelling, but could this be open to abuse?

The power as written states characters "... can communicate in all of the languages of the Nine Realms, Earth's dialects, and various alien languages."

Does this extend to artifical or constructed languages? Could an Asgardian be able to program a computer for instance, understand Latin, or use ASL/BSL?
Re: All-speak query
March 07, 2022 04:43PM
Latin, absolutely.

I would be wary of opening up programming languages to this, though. I suppose the way I would handle it, since they are technically languages that enable communication, I would allow such languages to be understood... IF it were spoken, and the individual with All-Speak can speak it back (verbal programming)... but unless the Computers talent is possessed, it's more of just understanding and basic communication. Programming would require a deeper understanding (possessing the Computers talent) and an appropriate Reason FEAT to accomplish specific programming tasks.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 07, 2022 10:35PM
Thanks Thrud, that’s logical.

What about American and British sign language? Do you think the enchantment would extend that far? The language isn’t spoken per se (obviously). Would this restrict compression?
March 09, 2022 10:23AM
Well it's called all-SPEAK after all, things like computer and sign languages shouldn't be included in it. Plus much of the universe wouldn't technically be covered as part of the Nine Realms (even if Marvel's pretty much ignored that).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
March 09, 2022 08:55PM
I suspected as much. Thanks for confirming the chatter in the room.
March 31, 2022 02:19PM
I agree with Thrud, computer language would be a computer skill. As with Sign language, maybe a bonus to learn, but still got to learn it.
April 20, 2022 05:16PM
My answer is "I am Groot."

Which means, Allspeak isn't needed by telepaths.

IIRC, Allspeak basically is an Asgardian magical language that makes speaker and listeners hear each other in their own tongue. Thor in the MCU had to study Groot's language, obviously not covered by the parameters of the Allspeak spell. It's a good thing Groot knows English, somehow. Unless we go Multiversal and pocket dimensions and say that "Midgard" is more than the Earth, but the entire Earth Dimension, so Groot's homeworld is included.

::shrug::

Most computers are just going to say 556c74726f6e204c69766573

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 32
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.