Astonishing Super Heroes and other retro-clones

Posted by Maniacles 
Astonishing Super Heroes and other retro-clones
March 13, 2022 07:37AM
So apparently, a new retro-clone of our favorite rpg has just been released. It is called "Astonishing Super Heroes".
You can learn about it here, if you don't already know it:

Any chance any of you guys already have it? If so, how does it feel as compared to good old MSH?

And while we're at it, we may as well talk about all the other MSH/FASERIP retro-clones that are out there.
To my knowledge, these are all the retro-clones that are out there right now:

G-Core
4C
FASERIP
and now, Astonishing Super Heroes

There's also Ascendant, which is actually a retro-clone of the old DC Heroes rpg from Mayfair, but with elements of FASERIP fused into it, according to the creator.
Re: Astonishing Super Heroes and other retro-clones
March 13, 2022 11:45AM
I never understood these retro clones. Just play MSH. The real one!

March 13, 2022 02:27PM
tystates

Exactly.
It's not like it's hard to find ...

... Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash.
March 14, 2022 04:19AM
Easy to find, yes, but the price-point is often prohibitive. I e-mailed this site a long while ago and never got an answer about legality of having all the pdfs available here (though sometimes e-mails from this site get lost anyway, lol). I haven't played Astonishing Super Heroes (or, actually, MSH yet, to be honest), though I did observe it from afar, but I imagine anything that brings awareness to folks is good - eventually, they'll find themselves here, right? lol
March 17, 2022 07:32AM
Legality was handled ages ago.

TSR is gone, the Marvel license had lapsed before WOTC bought TSR, and Marvel expressed in writing they didn't care about the product (to the former and current owners of this site).

Plus, none of these are available for sale from any retailer, either as new print or pdf.

Download and use at your leisure.

March 17, 2022 07:37AM
tystates

I like them because because there are some new ideas in them. I don't think I'd ever play a "FASERIP", "4C", or "G-CORE" game, but each has some new ideas that add to the game.

4C added things like powers that give you more resources or popularity, and one that gives you more talents. (like these)

FASERIP has some great interpretations of the the various "control" powers like elemental, continuum, and energy control powers, and tons of great power stunt ideas.

G-Core has tons of source material and tons of new super powers

In addition, each has different interpretations of some of the original material (ie different mechanics for specific super powers) that also add variety.

March 17, 2022 08:49AM
barna10
Legality was handled ages ago.

TSR is gone, the Marvel license had lapsed before WOTC bought TSR, and Marvel expressed in writing they didn't care about the product (to the former and current owners of this site).

Plus, none of these are available for sale from any retailer, either as new print or pdf.

Download and use at your leisure.

Ah, that's excellent to hear - I assumed it was something like that but... I dunno. That sort of stuff gets tricky past a certain point. Thanks for the confirmation. winking smiley

EDIT: Also! I definitely got two e-mails about the responses after my posts, so maybe the e-mail thing is working now?
March 19, 2022 07:26AM
BWS2K

EDIT: Also! I definitely got two e-mails about the responses after my posts, so maybe the e-mail thing is working now?

Thanks for the confirmation! Yes, email is finally fixed.

March 31, 2022 02:17PM
Retro clones as they are labeled, are just home brew version of, in which case they can be great or they can suck hard balls. I read through a couple and seems ok, I did read one that i thought sucks worse than a black hole, but i kept that to myself which one it is. Just cause i didn't like it, doesn't mean i need to bash it publicly.

As in all things, do whatever makes your game fun.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 22
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.