whats more important ? Art or writing in comics??

Posted by G.A.W. 
whats more important ? Art or writing in comics??
November 18, 2022 08:31PM
i should say what do you prefer to be good if cant have both ?

have you liked a comic with crap art but good writing? vice versa?
Re: whats more important ? Art or writing in comics??
November 18, 2022 11:34PM
No matter how good the story is, comics are a very visual medium and lousy art will sink a great story every time.

... Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash.
November 20, 2022 06:10AM
I think it's the story. I think most of the problems with modern comics are poor storytelling and purposefully prohibiting character growth and change. Plus, aside from the poor storytelling, a lot of the writing is bad at least from what I've read, not that there aren't good writers now, there definitely are, or that everything older was better. I think the best writers now are comparable to the best writers of past eras, but the vast majority of decent writers that used to exist are gone and replaced with bad writers who are sometimes held up as good writers bizarrely enough. Despite that, I think the art and quality of the book is significantly improved overall in modern works. Stuff just looks better now, but I don't want to read it and mostly buy back issues. I will say that horrible art can sink a book, but horrible art has always been pretty rare and most people are more accepting of bad art, I mean look at the 90s for example.
November 20, 2022 08:38AM
Yeah,

on the whole , technology in color separation , color effects, back lighting, computer graphic assists etc etc
have made comic art better / and in general good artists are coming up .

but the late 1980's through the 90's left a bad taste in my mind with excellent art and crap stories usually written by the artists themselves , - Image comics early on.

and modern stories seem to add, infuse or replace stories with THE MESSAGE ( add PC or woke tropes here )

THEE worst comic series i ever read was done by the great artist alex ross called UNCLE SAM for DC and it was terrible but the art was fantastic.

for me i would like the story and ideas in a comic to be on the high end and would put up with sub par art ( even a lack of clarity ) from time to time would be better .... for me anyways
December 15, 2022 03:42PM
Tough question there. I'd say overall it's the art that attracts my attention, but the story that keeps me coming back. One good example of a story I liked but cringed over the artwork was ELECTRA ASSASSIN - story by Frank Miller, art by Bill Sienkiewicz. His bizarro avant garde style was all the rage back in the late 1980's, but didn't anything for me.
March 04, 2023 09:15PM
Story can kill a comic, many of us stop buying the crap from Marvel and i think they had to wise up and get better stories. And even then, they went and destroyed some iconic personna for the sake of what is called Wokism nowadays.
Where many of us could careless if one was gay, jewish or whatever, we wanted great stories. A uniqueness of their own to bring to life.

Art can be a great help, but often it only a guide to our own imaginations and that why we vary in opinions in how we see these characters.

A balance must be maintain for sure.
March 13, 2023 10:43AM
I prefer writing over art. In fact I would be perfectly happy with and even prefer a novel version of a comic book series with no art but the cover. I never read comic books for the art, myself.
March 15, 2023 03:06AM
nijineko
I prefer writing over art. In fact I would be perfectly happy with and even prefer a novel version of a comic book series with no art but the cover. I never read comic books for the art, myself.

I read "It's Superman!" By Tom de Haven a while back. It was good, something you might be interested in.
March 15, 2023 11:35AM
For me also the Writing wins the day - overall.

I read a beautiful DC graphic Novel with awesome Alex Ross art called Uncle Sam but found it was a non story , pretentious , and sort of a hit piece on america and i hated it. Art was great.

But I have read mediocre art comics where the story was engaging and the concepts , Ideas !! where very good. and liked those!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 18
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.