Fantasy-based game

Posted by barna10 
Fantasy-based game
January 29, 2023 05:47PM
I am thinking of running a D&D-like game using Marvel as the system

All characters would start with TY stats. Each character would get a number of shift-points that could be used to either raise stats or gain talents. Anyone that takes Mystic Origin can gain spells

I'm thinking of 3-5 "shift points" for a start, but this idea is about an hour old, so going to sleep on it.

For spells, I am modifying the magic system a bit. Going to use D&D spells as a starting point, but allow normal Marvel advancement rules on them. 1st level spells have a TY rank, 2nd GD, 3rd, EX, etc.

Other spells can be developed or found that are not standard D&D spells.

Items will grant powers. Possibly allow gaining powers in rare circumstances (ie wishes, magic pools, temp powers, etc)

Other than that, not sure how much more there would be to get up and running!

Oh, in OSR-style, "gold" will translate into Karma. Players need to spend it to raise Resources.

Re: Fantasy-based game
January 30, 2023 02:17AM
It would work pretty well. The very low power levels are pretty dangerous in Marvel fantasy. I played a Hyborian Age game that was fun. I'd, personally, prefer the spells from the Magic Book. It's different from D&D and gives a different more exotic feel to the game. I believe I had some rules related to the Hyborian Age game that worked pretty good. I might be able to find them. Anyways, summary was that it was pretty fun and it had a much different feel from D&D which was nice and surprisingly worked very well for a sword and sorcery game.
January 30, 2023 09:28AM
Username
It would work pretty well. The very low power levels are pretty dangerous in Marvel fantasy. I played a Hyborian Age game that was fun. I'd, personally, prefer the spells from the Magic Book. It's different from D&D and gives a different more exotic feel to the game. I believe I had some rules related to the Hyborian Age game that worked pretty good. I might be able to find them. Anyways, summary was that it was pretty fun and it had a much different feel from D&D which was nice and surprisingly worked very well for a sword and sorcery game.

Awesome feedback, ty!

The reason I am veering towards the "D&D spells" is simply the flavor and well-known names.

Plus, there's this thread from wayback

January 30, 2023 08:54PM
I wrote a FASERIP fantasy RPG based on 4C a few years ago. It is easy enough to do. I commit to the "no killing" rule so it is more like the D&D cartoon than conan the barbarian though. Although if you kill "monsters" and not humans, especially say undead or automata, the game could work with no modificaiton to karma rules.

For Magic, back then I did it very predictably with the "powers as spells" stuff.

In my recent FASRIPopedia, I wrote up some Magic alternatives that might be useful for you. The draft version is on the website:
[www.faserip.com]

Schools of Magic, Magic Items, Witchcraft (powers as spells) and Cults and Cultists (karma pool for the benefit of the devil or other god they serve, they're all effectively no more than "team mates" or "sidekicks" of a villain).

Hope you find something useful in that lot. smiling smiley

Oh and there's a creatures page - that and the Animals page is sort of a Monster Manual I guess.
[www.faserip.com]

www.faserip.com
May 23, 2023 02:35AM
Marvel FASERIP works pretty darn well for most any system due the underlying rule strength, and the magic system et all can make for an easy fantasy game

Issues I've had with doing it include:

A) the ends/the extremes. Both the very low & very high ends of the ability score spectrum work less & less well as compared to the middle area (which for supers is excellent to monstrous). Fantasy set games will often spend much time on the low end, which can make for a bit too much of tossing dice to no avail (miss/fail) & some difficulties with karma & advancement.

cool smiley even with the magic books as the game basis, a fair bit of work needs be done making up spells, creatures, organizations, etc, although this probably puts off very few game masters and is often much of the GM's fun! Still, one will just need to color outside the lines at times when making up spells, creatures, etc, in similar fashion to placing super beings & aliens inside the marvel system. This one is a minor issue, but still can be an issue. The ability modifier table, right after primary abilities, could be a handy way for the rollers to roll.

C) character generation. barna10 may have a good way, but I think it may be hard to tell. I've come to lean more towards picks/modelling for supers over the decades & probably would just do the same for fantasy FASERIP, That said, I'm all too aware players tend to be utterly terrible at such things! Still, the existing chr gen needs tweaks at the very least. It may be worth considering fleshing out from a concept desired, such as fierce barbarian warrior, noble knight, sorcerer of the light, druid, cat burglar, monastic mystic & martial artist, and so on. the Marvel system lets one step a bit outside the usual fantasy RPG too, to include archetypes of fantasy & comics usually left out of games, the more ordinary type with a magical item(s) or pet. In any event, I'd call this a minor issue for most (as most have some experience with fantasy games) to a moderate issue for some.

D) little things. FASERIP now actually needs little edits to handle the change from 1980's to 2020's. It needs much bigger ones to medieval type or otherwise alien settings. Resources probably will stymie many. barna10 has an idea for them, going very old school game on it. Others might be more ok with the base games translated to the setting, and tweaks for handling treasures found. At best one still could be bogged down in equipment/weapons/armor tables. For my part, resources really affected the standard game only for role play and for the rich & super smart; building power armor, robots, super weapons, vehicles & gadgets. Reason scores should be pretty low & this not a thing, but it could be if one tried to simply palate swap tech for magic . This leads us to reason. One can tilt the scale (typical is standard medieval person of 1180 as opposed to 1980) but this can have issues as one moves up the ranks, but most if you ever genre blend or travel dimensions to some types of worlds. Reason & science talents are best kept away from the other general stuff, if there is a character with decent ability & them, it's probably their whole "special talent/power", doing reason/science. Low scores in reason (forced upon characters) might well justify reason modifying talents /skills to be +2 CS rather than +1 CS, to give a character something of a better shot (as the low base reason will reduce the chart & chances). Medieval weapons & armor need a little fine tuning, but the basics of the simple but effective marvel system are fine.

Well, this is getting long winded, so I'll stop there although D can surely be expanded on.
May 28, 2023 06:14PM
Giving this some more thought, I am more committed to the game

I am envisioning a golden age sort of pulp feel, even though it is set in the modern day

Characters are part of the Marvel universe, but for some reason they slip into a fantasy realm, which is the source of their powers

All the characters will be generated as low-power, nearly everyday folks. (ie Column 2)

Some can be sorcerers, some can be magically altered, some can have magical devices, but all share the common origin of being somehow linked to the fantastic realm of [INSERT NAME HERE}, and all slip into the realm at inconvenient times

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 21
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.