FIVE BUCK COMICS?????

Posted by G.A.W. 
FIVE BUCK COMICS?????
March 06, 2023 02:02PM
Heard rumors that the big two ( and some independent comic companies ) will be raising prices on standard comics to :

4.99 + tax

We'll see ( maybe at the end of 2023 )

Their main focus is Trade paper backs and graphic novels which could be marginally / fair priced.

At what point is floppy comics worth getting at 5 bucks when Trades could be gotten on sale perhaps and back issue bins for 20,30 or 40 year old comics could be 5 bucks or even cheaper?

There was one company that was selling comics for 1.50 to 1.99 at one time called Alterna Comics but i'm not sure if they are still around.

Digital? Pirating ? Library loans?

Question-- There has to be a way to make comics cheaper then 4 to 5 bucks each , right?
Re: FIVE BUCK COMICS?????
March 07, 2023 07:52AM
The problem is not manufacturing, it's profits, plain and simple

Artists want to make more, managers want to make more, shareholders want more

You are subsidizing their profits and lifestyles.

It's is 100% NOT about making an affordable product

March 08, 2023 03:09AM
They're quite expensive for the product you're getting. The quality of material has significantly increased over time and it's not necessarily a useful expense in my opinion. Additionally, the lack of advertisements means that the books themselves must pay for themselves without being subsidized by ads, which has raised the price. Finally, despite what anyone might say, floppy comics are not selling well. The American superhero comic is in a slow crash.

Personally, I don't know this for sure, but I recall hearing that the writers arent making much. I would bet the artists make more, but. I don't think anyone is getting rich off of making comics and I don't think either company makes much money. In fact, I think they might be barely breaking even and are subsidized by their much larger parent companies.

Part of the reason I think this is because any sales numbers we get of individual comics show low sales rates compared to 20 years ago. The second, the number of series have declined from peak substantially in some cases. Third, all industrywide numbers are combining more and more data sets into the total sales charts. Manga and graphic novels(but not necessarily superhero graphic novels) are included in the numbers often. This has all of the makings of an industry that doesn't want anyone to know how bad things are. Finally, the DC comics layoffs we saw were quite substantial it seemed and their comics I think are doing better than Marvel.

The big question on sales for comics is digital, but. I can't imagine it's that good if Comixology got axed.

On the prices, 40 years ago (1983) the median price of a comic was $0.60. in 2023 dollars that would be $1.80 in today's dollars. Honestly, $2.50 would be a lot more reasonable in my opinion.
March 08, 2023 06:50AM
March 08, 2023 09:17AM
Personally, I think it was more of the quality declined and people stopped reading/advertising and they raised prices to stay in the black, but this is a chicken or the egg argument, so it's not a hill I'm willing to die on.
March 09, 2023 02:50PM
and yet Manga is doing very well.

it still wont save floppys. I do love me some quarter boxes though!
March 10, 2023 05:03PM
I buy comics online, the older ones, that is. and the seller sale them cheap, might get if for $3 might get it for $12
Others source started doing the naughty versions to sale comics. AKA Nude topless and some bottomless.

From metal to foil, printed to virgin, and most times limited to 1000 or less.

Comic took a hard hit with writers sucking a lot, many have increase the art quality but it matters not so much
It why you have a lot of storylines that just for the crapper, and many a fan are going WTF is this?
So YMMV on why and who

Many shops showcase an artist, who do a drawing on a blank cover with a COA. Many will do a remark on a current comic already out with a COA. It varies, some will even do all that, have it graded and numbered!!
Some of these are for sale, but run from anywhere $20 to $5K.
It like if i ever Meet Keanu Reeves and get some of my BERZKER signed, instants $4K!!
I bought some Scotty Campbell art for $40 signed, COA... going for about $300 now, Scotty Young going for a little more than that, not graded, i need to grade them, so if i ever sell, i can sell for $1K+

Another artist... Clayton Crain...

So yes, the artist are making money hand over fist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 21
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.