Exploiting Autograph Karma???

Posted by G.A.W. 
Exploiting Autograph Karma???
July 05, 2023 03:34PM
Anyone make players roll a Popularity roll ( at least a green result ) to get autographs for More karma???

Just hand wave?

Are there any superheros with feeble ( 2 ) popularity that are mainstream and would want / willing to sign autographs ?
Re: Exploiting Autograph Karma???
July 06, 2023 04:56AM
If it seems like a fun thing to happen, hand wave it.

Think of Ant Man in End Game....he begged for people to let him sign an autograph or take a picture with him.

July 10, 2023 04:35PM
I've seen two methods proposed for exploiting karma.

The first I'm not sure I buy, but the theory was to max out the wealth somehow, then buy a planet, and become ruler of said planet, and somehow that was supposed to grant the character a huge amount of karma to tap into. I cannot recall the specifics.

The second method was to have powers related to water and duplication and multi-tasking at a rank that could cover a typical earth-type water-plentiful planet. Then rescue everyone that has a water accident. This was more power leveling than exploiting, but assuming they have the right powers at high enough level, totally doable and legal... if very busy making. The disadvantage, of course, would be that one time they missed a critical FEAT roll of some kind, and zeroed their karma....
July 15, 2023 06:26AM
nijineko
I've seen two methods proposed for exploiting karma.

The first I'm not sure I buy, but the theory was to max out the wealth somehow, then buy a planet, and become ruler of said planet, and somehow that was supposed to grant the character a huge amount of karma to tap into. I cannot recall the specifics.
If I had to guess... it would be something along the lines of "I rule, therefore everyone on the planet is part of my team, so I form a Karma pool with them and have access to all their Karma."

nijineko
The second method was to have powers related to water and duplication and multi-tasking at a rank that could cover a typical earth-type water-plentiful planet. Then rescue everyone that has a water accident. This was more power leveling than exploiting, but assuming they have the right powers at high enough level, totally doable and legal... if very busy making. The disadvantage, of course, would be that one time they missed a critical FEAT roll of some kind, and zeroed their karma....
I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. Doable, maybe... if you've got god-level water powers to cause a flood... you are going to cause all kinds of property damage, not to mention put people's lives in danger. Not only does that not sound legal, but I would negate any chance of Karma gain for saving people from a threat that you put them in.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 15, 2023 11:43AM
One does not put anyone into danger. One simply rescues them once they get in danger. And prevent property damage during storms and floods, etc. I'm not sure where you got the idea of causing dangers to happen?
July 18, 2023 08:32AM
Having done some calculations, pulling off surface rescues only (the estimated volume of the Earth's oceans is far beyond the largest cubic volume of effect given in the tables) it would require a power that functions on the Range E column at Monstrous or above rank, divided by the number of duplicates or copies with a rank of power that can allow for meeting or overlapping the divided areas of influence.

It would also help if the combined processing and action taking ability also functioned on Column E of the SAoT table
July 19, 2023 07:42AM
nijineko
Having done some calculations, pulling off surface rescues only (the estimated volume of the Earth's oceans is far beyond the largest cubic volume of effect given in the tables) it would require a power that functions on the Range E column at Monstrous or above rank, divided by the number of duplicates or copies with a rank of power that can allow for meeting or overlapping the divided areas of influence.

It would also help if the combined processing and action taking ability also functioned on Column E of the SAoT table

Did you factor in the Karma you should lose for screwing with nature enough that now the planet is heading down the road of over-population? All those lives saved are people that would have died....now more will die because of over-crowding, disease, lack of food, etc....

I'm not really that morbid, but there is such a thing as "too much good". If the hero starts policing the world, why would governments spend money on fire departments, police, coast guards, etc. The hero's actions could lead to a very bad situation where their powers simply can't make up for the apathy inspired by them always saving everyone. What type of a Karma loss would that lead to?

I would let the players attempt to exploit the mechanics, but would get creative on the repercussions.

July 19, 2023 10:30PM
From the Advanced Player's Book:

Rescues: Saving another life is worth 20 Karma points flat, It doesn't matter if the person is Aunt May falling off the Brooklyn Bridge or Doctor Doom falling into the core of his cyclotron. To most heroic characters all life has value, even that of evil characters. A maximum of 100 points may be awarded for any one action involving rescue (Iron Man saves a 747 filled with people from crashing — he gets 100 points max).

There is a limit to the amount of Karma you can get for rescues all at once. If you save the a room full of people, the whole city, or an entire world... it's 100 Karma. I think the Basic set has a slightly higher total, but the point is there are limits to work with should people try to engineer large scale rescues just for the Karma.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
July 20, 2023 06:55AM
Thrudjelmer
From the Advanced Player's Book:

Rescues: Saving another life is worth 20 Karma points flat, It doesn't matter if the person is Aunt May falling off the Brooklyn Bridge or Doctor Doom falling into the core of his cyclotron. To most heroic characters all life has value, even that of evil characters. A maximum of 100 points may be awarded for any one action involving rescue (Iron Man saves a 747 filled with people from crashing — he gets 100 points max).

There is a limit to the amount of Karma you can get for rescues all at once. If you save the a room full of people, the whole city, or an entire world... it's 100 Karma. I think the Basic set has a slightly higher total, but the point is there are limits to work with should people try to engineer large scale rescues just for the Karma.

Nice catch

August 01, 2023 11:55AM
Indeed so.

My theoretical scenario takes that into account.

Given an Earth-like planet, you could manage multiple rescue attempts per day scattered across the world.

Please note that the net karma per day of my theoretical scenario is measured in the hundreds, maybe a thousand-ish on a busy day.
August 04, 2023 09:40AM
Really, all you need is Self Duplication. You can do any number of things that aren't dangerous to gain Karma.

Having Artist Talent you gain Karma for simply working a week (20-30 dupes all drawing everyday)

Or, simply commit to doing things, like working at soup kitchens all across the city. Keeping a weekly commitment is worth 5 Karma per commitment, no maximum.

Scenarios like these stretch the imagination less and are easy to calculate how long it would take to get to Karma total X.

Or...if you really want....the Basic Set had a reward for going on a date...speed dating with 30 of yourselves? (2-20 karma per date)

Also from the Basic Set
  • Make a paid appearance (5 karma per)...supers job could literally be making paid appearances
  • Help a friend in need (5-20 karma)...just make LOTS of friends (Facebook friends count?)
  • Get together with friends (5 karma)...have firends in lots of places, or in lots of virtual places
  • Make charity appearance (30 KARMA!) ... this could rack-up fast!
  • Spend a week with family (15-25 points)...does extended family count?

OH...WOW...just noticed Charity Donation in the Revised Basic Set gives you + your resource rank for a donation...the rich get richer!

August 05, 2023 11:43AM
My focus was on the heavy hitter of rescuing, but you make an excellent point that even with only duplication, there are many ways to potentially earn karma, and a lot less fraught with potential risk than water-based rescues.

If one's family is scattered around, you could spend time with each one separately and simultaneously, maybe toss in a few close friends as well.

Imagine the karma possibilities of duplication plus disguise powers... might be a bit tricky getting legit IDs for them all.

Which raises another karma question: if such a duplicate/disguise super were to commit the criminal act of obtaining false IDs, or even the morally questionable action of taking over the IDs of recently deceased... does it count as continued criminal activity for karma purposes if one continues to use such IDs?
August 09, 2023 09:55AM
barna10
Also from the Basic Set
  • Make a paid appearance (5 karma per)...supers job could literally be making paid appearances

OH...WOW...just noticed Charity Donation in the Revised Basic Set gives you + your resource rank for a donation...the rich get richer!
The only problem with paid appearances are those supers with secret identities...

As for spending time with family and does extended family count? I would say absolutely. It has heroes doing positive stuff for the people in their lives, and sometimes it can mean the world to some people when distant family reconnects.

August 10, 2023 05:40AM
Thrudjelmer
barna10
Also from the Basic Set

The only problem with paid appearances are those supers with secret identities...

As for spending time with family and does extended family count? I would say absolutely. It has heroes doing positive stuff for the people in their lives, and sometimes it can mean the world to some people when distant family reconnects.

This is why you setup things like "The Avengers Foundation". Check doesn't need to be made out to a person....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 33
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.