A GM I know has made a points buy system for Marvel Heroes RPG and me and 5 mates of mine tested it. Here's the character I made and how I made him. What do you think?

Posted by JMISTHEBEST 
A GM I know has made a points buy system for Marvel Heroes RPG and me and 5 mates of mine tested it. Here's the character I made and how I made him. What do you think?
July 21, 2023 01:51AM

Its similar to how you create characters in The James Bond RPG

We all get 500 points with which to do this

The Fan Made Appearance Stat is the only 1 you don’t have to put any points in, if you want you can or you can take a risk and only have you’re Appearance be equal to Typical +a roll on the ability modifier table

The GM has decided that we must all use Altered Heroes

The GM has decided that that means that rather then raise 1 stat by 1 rank that all of our characters get to add 10 points to 1 stat

I will admit that The GM has decided that Talents cost 10 points each

Luckily, in my opinion, The GM has decided that Talents that normally use up 2 of your choices still only cost 10 points each

Saying that though because Law Enforcement includes both Guns and Law it costs 30 points

I’m planning to go for a, in my opinion, character that is very varied, fairly powerful, will be very useful and should be would be very fun to use

I was worried the other 4 players would go for characters that were super strong in some area’s and super weak in others area’s

But I was wrong and just like me they’re all going for a character that, in our opinions, is very varied fairly powerful, will be very useful and should be would be very fun to use

Also

Once we’ve all created our characters me and The other 4 Players decided which 1 of their Heroes will be the groups leader, he or she is even stronger then the rest and gets the following modifiers

He or she gets +1D8 to all stats, +1D6 to all powers, +2D4 Hero ID Popularity and +1D4 Secret ID Popularity

He or she gains 1 Random Talent, +1D6 to their Resources, they also add +1D4 to The Reason of all their Contacts and they also add +1D3 to The Resources of all their Contacts

The 2nd best, in my opinion, benefit from of being The Groups Leader is that as he or she is the leader of A Hero Group his or her appearance will always be at least handsome

The 3rd best, in my opinion, benefit from being the groups leader is that if the leaders appearance is Good or Lower it increase’s to Excellent, and that happens even if his or her appearance is Poor

The best, in my opinion, benefit from of being The Groups Leader is that also gains A Business Contact with A Reason of Excellent 1D3+15 and A Resource Rank of Good 1D3+10

In the end I created the following character that, in my opinion, is varied yet fairly powerful and very useful and these include the boosts

The stat I gave another +10 to is Fighting and his stats are Fighting Remarkable 30, Agility Excellent 20, Strength Excellent 20, Endurance Excellent 20, Reason Excellent 20, Intuition Remarkable 20 and Psyche Excellent 20, that gives him Health 90 and Karma 60. Costs 140 points, leaves 360 points

His Powers are Stunning type Ranged Attack Incredible 30, Flying Remarkable 30, Regeneration Remarkable 30 and Invisibility Remarkable 30. Costs 120 points, total cost 260 points, leaves 240 points

For His Popularity I want him to be A Very Popular in his Hero ID but his Civilian ID’s popularity will only have A Average Amount of Popularity and that’s why his Hero ID Popularity is 35 and his Secret ID Popularity is 5. Costs 40 points, total cost 300 points, leaves 200 points

His Resources are Remarkable 30 and his 5 Talents are Computers, Law, Leadership, Medicine and Unarmed Combat. Costs 80 points, total cost 380 points, leaves 120 points

My characters appearance starts at Typical, which means plain to average, but the ability modifier roll is A 15, which drops my characters appearance to Poor, which means Repulsive, lets hope I get chosen to be the groups leader. Costs 0 points, total cost 380 points, leaves 120 points

His Contacts are 1 Lawyer with Excellent 17 Reason and Good 13 Resources, 1 Doctor with Excellent 18 Reason and Good 12 Resources, 1 Junior Police Sergeant that’s got a high intelligence with Excellent 17 Reason and Good 13 Resources and 1 Forensic Scientist that’s fully trained, very intelligent and completely inexperienced with Excellent 20 Reason and Good 10 Resources. Costs 120 points, total cost 500 points, leaves 0 points

Also

The rest of the group decided that my character would be the leader and the most likely reason is that I’m the only 1 that’s previously played in more then 1 other Marvel Hero Campaign

This means that I get the modifiers mentioned earlier and that means that my characters actual capabilities are as follows
Fighting Incredible 38, Agility Excellent 25, Strength Remarkable 26, Endurance Excellent 4, Reason Remarkable 26, Intuition Excellent 24 and Psyche Remarkable 26, that gives him Health 113 and Karma 76

His Powers are Stunning Missile type Ranged Attack Incredible 36, Flying Remarkable 34, Regeneration Remarkable 34 and Invisibility Remarkable 32

His Popularity is Hero ID Popularity 41 and Secret ID Popularity 9, his Resources are Remarkable 35 and his 5+1 or 6 Talents are Computers, Electronics, Law, Leadership, Medicine and Unarmed Combat

As The Groups Leader my characters Appearance gets boosted from Poor, which means Repulsive, to Excellent, which means Pretty/Handsome

His Contacts are 1 Lawyer with Excellent 19 Reason and Excellent 16 Resources, 1 Doctor with Excellent 20 Reason and Good 15 Resources, 1 Junior Police Sergeant that’s got a high intelligence with Excellent 21 Reason and Good 14 Resources and 1 Forensic Scientist that’s fully trained, very intelligent and completely inexperienced with Excellent 23 Reason and Good 13 Resources

As my character is The Leader of A Hero Group he automatically gains A Business Contact with A Reason Rank of Excellent 17 and A Resource Rank of Good 12

Ooops

I initially forget that with the points buy system The GM decided that the system would give all Players enough freebies that when creating their character they would have quite a lot of leeway

This means that every character gets 5 free points in 1 stat, 2 free points in every other stat, 2D2+4 free points of Hero ID Popularity, 2 free
points of Secret ID Popularity and 1D6 free points of free resources

After generating his or her characters powers A Player gets to boost either 1 of his choice by 2 points or 1 random power by 4 points or 2 random powers by 2 points each

After generating his or her characters contacts A Player gets to boost either The Reason or The Resources of A Contact of his choice by 2 points or boost both The Reason and The Resources of A Random Contact by 2 points

This boosts my characters Fighting to Incredible 43, my Agility to Remarkable 27, my Strength to Remarkable 28 my Endurance to Remarkable 26, my Reason to Remarkable 28, my Intuition to Remarkable 26 and my Psyche to Remarkable 28 it boosts his Health to 124 and boosts his to 82

It also boosts my characters Hero ID Popularity to 49, boosts his Secret ID Popularity to 11, boosts his Resources Rank to Incredible 39 are Remarkable 35

I choose to boost 1 random power by 4 points and that ends up boosting Stunning Missile type Ranged Attack to Incredible 40

I choose to boost both The Reason and The Resources of A Random Contact by 2 points, I choose the Senior Police Sergeant that’s got a high intelligence, and this boosts his Reason to Excellent 23 and his Resources to Excellent 16

Also

With the points buy system the hero group can pool their resources to buy a good home to be their base

And

We as a group decided to pool our resources to buy the following home to be their base

It’s a Very Large House that has A Cost of Incredible 43 and this very large house has 14 Rooms that don’t count against the 14 room limit and another 14 Rooms that do count against the 14 room limit

The house 12 rooms that don’t count against the 12 room limit are 6 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 toilets and 2 closets and it also has 1 broom cupboard, 1 airing cupboard, 1 small front garden and 1 tiny back garden

The Houses 14 rooms that count against the 14 room limit are 1 remarkable rank Kitchen, 1 remarkable rank Dining Room, 1 remarkable rank Living Room, 1 good rank garage that can hold 3 fairly cars, 1 remarkable rank Rec Room, 1 incredible rank Private Gym that takes up the equivalent of 3 rooms, 1 remarkable rank Private Swimming Pool, 1 remarkable rank Library, 1 excellent rank Crime Files Room, 1 remarkable rank Workshop, 1 incredible rank Laboratory and 1 remarkable rank Computer Room
Sounds fine... But I hope you get to play multiple sessions of the game though!!!
July 21, 2023 03:49PM
As discussed in other topics and posts here recently - Point Buy character generation is its own " mini-game " for many RPGs.

As long as the Gamemaster and the players are having fun that's Cool and the Gang. Just hope you guys get to play at least a mini- campaign of the MSH game.

I myself am not a big fan but have played many rpg's that used point buy. I don't like to invest a lot of time and math tactical thinking optimizing or " point " creating a character for the games i'm a player in. But unto itself many people have FUN creating characters in that way - even 5E D&D. ( more so in 3E d&D ).

Sometimes I think many people would just ( mostly - not entirely ) just play the character creation point buy game - making many different types of characters ... and then actually run very little of the Actual game. - I guess i just really like the "Unexpectedness" of Rolling up characters!

PS: I realize it is separate from this topic but in the RPG medium there is something called Lonely Fun where players are only able to ( or want to ) interact with the Lore , rules mechanics , character creation etc because that is what is fun to them. - that's cool too.
Re: Sounds fine... But I hope you get to play multiple sessions of the game though!!!
July 22, 2023 01:36AM
What do you think of the fact that even though we'd never use them the other players said that if we had made them to use they would have given my character the position of leader because I'm the only 1 that has previously played in A Marvel Super Heroes RPG campaign

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 35
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.