New Marvel RPG

Posted by G.A.W. 
New Marvel RPG
July 29, 2023 10:19AM
So i guess the new....

MARVEL MULTIVERSE ROLE-PLAYING GAME: CORE RULEBOOK Hardcover – August 1, 2023

is coming out.... I don't suppose anyone wants to shell out 54 bucks plus tax to review a game that most likely won't be better than

TSR Marvel RPG ( FASERIP ) ...????
Re: New Marvel RPG
July 30, 2023 10:34AM
You mean , Shift-0 reason to buy it?

What if you find 50 bucks on the street then roll an 87 on d100 under shift 0 , ? then ...?

............ yeah ........ I guess not ... i would just pocket the money /// 50 bucks is 50 bucks !!!
August 03, 2023 07:29AM
barna10
I see zero reasons to buy it

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
August 05, 2023 03:44PM
Just saw it at Walmart for$ 47 and Amazon has it on sale for 36$ ( of a 59.99 cover )

looked thru it at walmart and of course the art - from actual Marvel Comics - looks very good.

A healthy dose of stat blocks in a core book and I learned something about myself just then.

I'm too old to Have to learn a new system to play a superhero RPG.

I guess the attributes of Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic are ok but modeling new characters seems a bit harder compared to the FASERIP system.

With 4 superhero rpg's in my collection ( and multiple editions of some of those !! ) i'll pass.
August 06, 2023 08:06AM
G.A.W.
So i guess the new....

is coming out.... I don't suppose anyone wants to shell out 54 bucks plus tax to review a game that most likely absolutely won't be better than TSR's Marvel RPG ( FASERIP )

Fixed that for you.
MOney Grab???????????
August 06, 2023 12:08PM
yeah... good catch.

Part of me thinks this may be just a MONEY GRAB - since this game is being put together - IN-House.

If a big RPG company like Free League or Modiphius licensed it - then I would at least take it seriously.
August 09, 2023 09:49AM
The fact that they named their Ability scores using the letters of MARVEL tells me everything I need to know about this game, and there is nothing redeeming that that insight. Yes, this game is an obvious cash grab. RPGs are huge now, and Marvel has had its successes in the past with licensed products, so now they want to cash in and doing it themselves, they can't help but celebrate themselves at every turn. "Look at us, we have art from our own comics in the book. We put our name all over everything, even your character's ability scores. Wooo! Buy us!" I will pass, and I will also have a good chuckle at the people that paid to playtest it.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
August 10, 2023 05:39AM
I am dumbfounded that they didn't simply re-release FASERIP. Why create another crappy RPG as a cash-grab. Morons.

They could have simply done a new core set with new art work and zero other edits.

Then they could start publishing GHOTMU with current characters.

All done, zero dollars in development, and far less risky.

MAYBE they'd have to partner with HASBRO because of they weirdness with the copyright, but I bet they'd have zero issues with that.

August 12, 2023 11:24AM
barna10
Then they could start publishing GHOTMU with current characters.

GHOTMU for each universe... cover a couple of universes in one book for the ones with less screen/page time.
October 16, 2023 11:32AM
i have a question:can the marvel multiverse role-playing game core and playtest rulebooks be used to create supporting cast members?
October 16, 2023 03:10PM
I didn't buy or read those rule sets.

I suppose when this new game goes to used book stores or half priced books or a garage sale I might pick it up
November 18, 2023 04:29AM
Which marvel earths are featured in the marvel multiverse role-playing game core rulebook?
November 18, 2023 07:18PM
I would guess the " modern " version of the 616 universe.
November 20, 2023 12:49AM
G.A.W.
So i guess the new....

is coming out.... I don't suppose anyone wants to shell out 54 bucks plus tax to review a game that most likely won't be better than

TSR Marvel RPG ( FASERIP ) ...????[/quote

I guess don't knock it until you try it. But I expect to knock it.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
November 28, 2023 09:13AM
I think i would play a session or two at a convention but wouldn't want to read it to run it.

I should play more superhero RPG's nowadays . get a sense of the good and the bad or the like or dislike.
February 01, 2024 02:45PM
I'll pass on it myself
February 02, 2024 10:09AM
It's half off on Amazon now. - I presume it is not selling well.

It's like D&D now- It doesn't matter who owns the IP, I can still play Marvel Super Heroes
or Dungeons and Dragons without Wizards of the Coast and some other company Funk-ing things up.

We got many good Retro-Clones or the original systems to play the games with now.
March 06, 2024 04:04AM
I got a copy at a local used book store for $25.

A guy offered to run a game at the local Game Store. We had a Session Zero Monday evening. Meet the Judge and other players, rolled up some quick characters (nothing fancy; Brick, telepath, and speedster so far - had a couple no-shows), and ran a quick meet-up (S.H.I.E.L.D. texts all the characters and has them come to the local branch office, Agent Coulson introduces himself and each other, says he's been watching us, and "asks" us to do Nick Fury a favor, and We're Off!)

It's fun enough, I guess. Might just be nostalgia of playing any supers game. It's in no way as good as FASERIP! So far, it seems very dumbed down. Kinda like D&D over the past few editions. In fact, it's very reminiscent of the D20 system in some ways. The Stats M.A.R.V.E.L. basically correspond to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Charisma, and Intelligence (I think I have those in proper order). The size charts Tiny, Small, Medium, Huge, etc. seems like it's copied and pasted right from the D&D books, etc.

I totally agree that they should just update the FASERIP system and make new GHOTMUs.
March 14, 2024 09:53AM
The FACERIP system has been " Retro-Cloned " half a dozen times ( with homebrew and new ideas and repairs / improvements etc )

Here are some titles:

G-Core
4C
FASERIP
Astonishing Super Heroes
Ascendant, ( this one is well written but Extremely Crunchy and uses elements of DC heroes rpg too )
FASERIPopedia Rules Cyclopedia

[towerofzenopus.blogspot.com]

One neat thing about a retro-clone is that people / fans can write and publish adventures or supplements for the Clone that could be used by fans of the Marvel TSR rpg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 29
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.