15 days of Halloween: Pumpkinhead

Posted by thejackolantern 
15 days of Halloween: Pumpkinhead
October 19, 2009 06:04AM
'Nothin' can call it off... '

A demon summoned to seek revenge, the terrible creature born out of folklore and bent on a single purpose, Pumpkinhead represents a monster that is both terrible and ferocious, as well as the least terrible of the monsters that surround it: The guilty and the damned. Once summoned, Pumpkinhead cannot be stopped, cannot be reasoned with, and will not stop until it is finished with its grisly task. The cost of such a servant? To become the next Pumpkinhead in death with the user's immortal soul as forfeit.

Seen in in four movies, Pumpkinhead is a creature born out of vengeance, tied to the person who summons it. So far, the sequels have proceeded to change and shape the original mythology of the character, and will be for the most part largely ignored.

Pumpkinhead

F: Ex (20)
A: Ex (20)
S: Am (50)
E: Am (50)
R: Typ (6)
I: Ex (20)
P: Rm (30)

Health: 140
Resources: Fe (2)
Popularity: -15 in the folklore of mountain folk

Talents:
None

Powers:
undead Spirit of Vegeance: Pumpkinhead is a summoned spirit, given flesh through a binding of a willing host and a dead body. The creation of Pumpkinhead requires the use of black magic, and has been so far overseen by the mountain witch Haggis. Once created, Pumpkinhead rises and performs a deed of vengeance for the summoner, possessing the following abilities:
- Telelocation: Victim: Pumpkinhead can track the person who vengeance sought against with Am (50) ability, and will not lose the trail through any means. If people attempt to help the victim or hinder Pumpkinhead, they become bound within the curse as well, and will be dealt with accordingly
- Undead state: As a spirit of vengeance, Pumpkinhead cannot be harmed easily through conventional means, and possesses Rm (30) resistances to physical and energy damage, and is immune to toxins, poisons, disease, and aging. Pumpkinhead does not need to breathe, eat, or sleep.
- Terrifying Visage: Pumpkinhead is terrifying to behold, especially to its victims, forcing them to make an Ex (20) Psyche FEAT or stop dead in their tracks.
- Hypnotic "Voice": As seen in the first movie, Pumpkinhead can mesmerize its victims to emerge from protection or safety with Ex (20) abilty. Pumpkinhead doesn't speak, but the victim hears whispers and it places them in a trance. The sight of a cross or other holy object breaks the trance.
- Symbiotic Link: Summoner: Pumpkinhead possesses a symbiotic relationship with its summoner, allowing the summoner to see the actions of revenge firsthand with Am (50) ability, even if the summoner doesn't wish to see them.
- Natural Weaponry: claws: Pumpkinhead's claws can easily shred steel, metal, woods, and stone. Pumpkinhead's claws can do In (40) damage, which is considered mystical as well and it halves body armor.

Contacts:
Although it has no real contacts, it is connected to its summoner and the witch Haggis.

Limitations:
Bound to its summoner: Pumpkinhead is bound to the one who has commissioned the witch Haggis to summon it. The life forces of both are tied together, so to destroy one, someone would need to destroy the other. The summoner's dead body is then used to 'seed' the next Pumpkinhead. If the summoner is stopped or killed, Pumpkinhead dies. At the same time, Pumpkinhead can be killed by his summoner at the cost of their own lives.
Hideous visage: Pumpkinhead has a -2cs reaction bonus even if the psyche feat is made due to the unnatural state of it.
Unholy: Pumpkinhead cannot cross holy spots or enter holy ground due to its nature. Crosses do not repel it, but faith might.
Re: 15 days of Halloween: Pumpkinhead
October 19, 2009 12:28PM
Been a while since I saw the movies (and only the first two at that), but I don't recall Pumpkinhead doing anything that would've necessitated AM Strength. From what I recall offhand, RM Strength could accomplish. In a similar vein, RM might be sufficient for the claw damage -- more than enough to kill the vast majority of humans in a single strike, while enabling athletic ones in pretty good shape to survive...until they're hit again.

All in all, a very good writeup though.
October 20, 2009 06:52AM
Didn't Pumpkinhead rend steel with his claws though? I could have sworn he gouged a car door or something. I was 9 when I saw that movie so my memory is fuzzy. I'm not able to speak on the strength, but the claws seem about right at Incredible.
October 20, 2009 11:39AM
Well, game-wise, even if the car is considered to be constructed of RM material, that would put its Body at EX, since there aren't many consumer vehicles sporting 1" thick metal shells.

On the other hand, it certainly doesn't detract from a great writeup, and Pumpkinhead might well need the Strength and the Claw damage if he's dropped into a superhero setting. At the very least, IN rank claw damage lets him not only tear through a car's hood, but also carve deep gouges in the engine block with a single swipe.

Keeps those uppity mortals from driving off, and does wonders as an intimidating visual winking smiley
October 28, 2009 05:04PM
Nice write up. Just one thing. In one of the later movies, didn't he fly? I could be wrong. I've only seen them a very limited number of times. Like maybe twice.
June 19, 2010 04:58PM
If I remember correctly he leapt vast distances but didnt actually fly. Of course I could be wrong.

Formerly YourHumbleServant

2 things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the universe ~Albert Einstein

People who advocate foolish or dangerous ideas should not be forcibly silenced, but only as a testament to the greatness of the principle of liberty, NOT because the ideas they advocate have any merit whatsoever. ~Thomas Jefferson

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience ~ Mark Twain

Lady Gaga makes Miley Cyrus look like John Lennon ~ Chris Titus

Government that is big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have..History shows that as government grows..liberty decreases. ~ Thomas Jefferson
June 22, 2010 03:49PM
Flying.

Maybe you're thinking of a similar (to me) character, Jeepers Creepers, who had leathery wings. Creepy (as his friends call him) had more of a sense of humor than Pumpkin Head. But not as much a sense of humor as Freddy.
July 01, 2010 03:28AM
Pumpkin didn't fly, although in the Sci-Fi follow-ups, he leapt once or twice. Part of the creepy factor was that he was always stalking someone
April 25, 2020 10:51PM
The sequel to Pumpkinhead was called Pumpkinhead II: Bloodwings. And a figurine was made showing it with wings, but it never actually possessed any in the movies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 14
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.