The Punisher - Reevaluated

Posted by CapoCastillo 
Re: The Punisher - Reevaluated
February 08, 2009 06:26PM
On Frank Castle

During his four years as a US Marine Corps Captain in a special operations unit in the Vietnam War, (1968 to 1971).Castle graduated from Basic Training, then went on to Infantry School. Immediately following that, he went through the USMC's Reconnaissance, Force Reconnaissance, and Sniper Schools. Attaining dockets, Castle was permitted to go through U.S. Army Airborne School, and U.S. Navy Underwater Demolition Team training, becoming qualified as a Navy SeAL (Sea, Air and Land). He served in the Vietnam War in a special forces unit as a point man. Castle is a seasoned combat veteran of exceptional skills. He is well-versed in the arts of warfare and hand-to-hand combat. His styles of choice being Nash Ryu Ju Jitsu, (the four-style martial art founded by his Sensei Adam Nash and the Marine Corps LINE combat system) Ninjutsu, Shorin-Ryu, Hwarangdo, and Chin Na. He is an exceptional knife fighter who carries up to 3 or 4 different types of edged weapons, preferring the knife he learned to fight with in the USMC: the Ka-bar.

U.S.M.C. Spec Ops, eat Green Beret's for breakfast, according to a U.S.M.C. Captain that I know who spent 6 years in Nam and was a Force Recon Advanced Sniper Scout...

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
March 24, 2010 02:01PM
Another thought on Frank Castle,

How about this? Instead of increasing his endurance, granting him some level of Iron will under training. (Either Military or Martial arts would work.)

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
March 25, 2010 04:17AM
The Iron Will in place of Endurance is an interesting possibility. I usually attempt to avoid UPB powers, but this one might be a good fit. I'm just working in my mind if that makes more contextual comic book sense than Incredible Endurance does... Might have to look through some Punisher yarns.
March 25, 2010 04:27AM
Waiting for a Punisher torrent to download myself tongue sticking out smiley

But i think Iron Will would be a better fit, as most Movie "Action Heroes" have some variation of Iron Will, and the Punisher is an ramped up version of the Movie action hero.

And as previously mentioned, Iron Will can go under "Training" as opposed to "Powers", just like Stealth would.
I wouldn't give him "Batman" level stealth (Ex as listed) as listed on the CMF site here, but Ty would be good enough I think to mirror his U.S.M.C. sniper training.

March 25, 2010 04:46AM
If i did downshift the Endurance, i'd need to bump something else. i'm not comfortable having a Punisher with health below 100... where to get the points... Agility I suppose. He'd have an effective Amazing for purposes of shooting. That's probably pretty accurate. Part of me though really enjoys the high Endurance. Maybe try playtesting both versions - the Iron Will version and the High End version...
March 25, 2010 06:32AM
How about Raising the Agility From Ex to Rm, and Lowering the Endurance From In to Rm? with maybe iron will equal to his psyche rank, or psyche rank +1cs?

March 25, 2010 06:47AM
It's definately an attractive compromise route. I think i may do some play testing matches with both versions to see which captures what the spirit of the punisher in a fight better.

Chronomancer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about Raising the Agility From Ex to Rm, and
> Lowering the Endurance From In to Rm? with maybe
> iron will equal to his psyche rank, or psyche rank
> +1cs?
March 25, 2010 07:42AM
let us know will ya?

March 25, 2010 08:27AM
Personally I have to agree with the stats except for the endurance. As everyone has already said. It should be remarkable.
March 27, 2010 10:47AM
Interesting, From the Gamers Handbook of the Marvel Universe Volume 3 Page 183...

STATSTICS
F AM (50)
A EX (20)
S GD (10)
E EX (20)
R TY (6)
I EX (20)
P TY (6)
Health 100
Resources FR(4)
Popularity; 7
Background
Frank Castle (nee Castiglione)

Occupation U.S. Marine turned Vigilante
Legal Status: U.S. citizen with criminal record; U.S.M.C. records list him as a deserter
Identity: Known to authorities
Place of Birth: Queens, New York
Marital Status: Widower,
Known Relatives: Mario and Louisa Castiglione (possibly dead)

Base of Operations: His combat van
Group Affiliations; None
Former Group Affiliation: None
KNOWN POWERS
Equipment
M16 Assault Rifle: Range 5 areas, Damage10, Rounds 10
Sterling Mk 6 Sub-machine Gun: Range 5 areas, Damage 5(25 for burst), Rounds 34
Browning Autorifle: Range 5 areas, Damage10, Rounds 14
Smith & Wesson .357 Revolver: Range 3 areas, Damage 6, Rounds 6
Colt .45 pistol: Range 3 areas, Damage 5, Rounds 10
.223 Derringer: Range 2 areas, Damage 4, Rounds 4
Browning .9mm pistol: Range 3 areas, Damage 4, Rounds14

Any of the firearms can be loaded with conventional ammo (see above), dum-dum (+5 damage), or 'mercy bullets' (Amazing potency Knock out drug)
Gerber Mk II combat knife: Gd Edged damage
Grenades:
Concussion: Incredible(40) slugfest damage
Explosive: Remarkable Damage to everyone in the target zone
Tear Gas: Incredible potency; victims must make an Endurance FEAT Or be stunned. Victim's Intuition
decreases -3CS for 1 -10 rounds
Battle Van
Body Control Speed Protection
AM AM RM AM
Talents: Criminology, Demolition, Espionage, First Aid, Guns, Marksman, Martial Arts A, Military, Repair/Tinkering, Stealth, Survival, Weapons Tinkering, Wrestling.

Now, I understand (and like many others don't agree with) why they put him at an Am fighting to begin with, but as has been stated by many others elsewhere, Frank has admitted that he is not a match for Daredevil and others. Franks word is more important than some random guy who's never really read a comic and assigns random stats due to hearing "Frank Castle's a Bad ass... therefore Am fighting", but they forgot the CS that talents give.

Capo's modified stats were

F RM (30)
A Ex (20)
S GD (10)
E In (40)

Most of us here seem to agree with

F RM (30)
A RM (30)
S GD (10)
E RM (30)

For the physicals, as long as Frank is given some sort of additional edge physically. I've suggested Iron will as a learned skill as opposed to a power and it seems like that's acceptable to most here (which is good for my ego tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley ) and one which he's conceivably displayed. I think we also agree with Capo's updated skill list for Castle as well. he's shown to be able to do more than the list includes in the Gamer book Volume 3...

As to the mental, I don't think that Frank deserves Excellent reason. Maybe Good, with the talent Strategy which would give him a +1cs for setting up ambushes etc... (a +2cs if you stack both the Strategy and Military talents) but definitely more than the typical that they assign him in the gamers handbook. everything else should be good. grinning smiley

And Capo?

How about
Martial Arts I - This form of martial arts focuses on hardening the body to resist damage. The hero gains a +1CS to Endurance when recovering health, rest is not needed. The hero also gains a +1CS bonus to Endurance to resist being Stunned or Slammed for Frank?

April 02, 2010 01:01PM
Okay, so i compared the two versions postulated, and I think i would have to settle on higher agility, lower endurance, and good level Iron Will (excellent if you like your Punisher extra tough). i ran a mock combat against Daken Akihiro (the most recent person to murder Frank Castle) against both versions. The higher Endurance version scored early hits against Daken, and put him through some tough rounds. But Daken was able to gain multiple actions more consistently and when he got close enough, he started cutting Frank to ribbons. Against the Iron Will version, the higher agility was a boon in the Punisher's offense combined with his specialization. Daken still scored some scary hits on Castle, but the Iron Will gave Punisher just enough wherewithal to put Daken down. And for all of Daken's healing, the Punisher has plenty of ammo to keep plugging away.
April 02, 2010 03:54PM
Sweet grinning smiley that's what i was kinda feeling, that the Higher agility would work better and even with a little git of Iron will that would ahve balanced it out prety nicely

Thanks for sharing grinning smiley

November 15, 2020 05:29PM
Soulassassin
If I were reflecting the books MORE and not less than

Captain America
F-Mn
A-Amaz
S-Rem
E-Inc

Spiderman
F-Amaz
A-UN
S-Inc
E-Am

Deadpool
F-Mn
A-Am
S-Ex
E-Inc

Furthermore anyone fighting Deadpool gets -2CS due to his jabber talking and unpredictable moves

Wolverine
F-Amaz
A- Inc
S- Ex
E- Amaz

Health doubles in battle unless fighting Deadpool

Punisher

Your stats above when not in his own book

Daredevil
F-Amaz
A-Amaz
S-Ex
E-Inc

Drops to regular levels when not in his own book

You stated Spider-Man and Daredevil awfully high, but I understand where you're coming from. How would you rate Spider-Man's durability?
November 17, 2020 03:59AM
civet5285
I like your write-up, although isn't Rem the maximum human E rank? Otherwise, great job, thoughtful and thorough.

My thoughts as well. Remarkable for Endurance, the never quit part is the Psyche, which should be higher than good in my opinion.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
November 23, 2020 11:33AM
I'd go with: Gd Reason, Rm Intuition, and Rm or In Psyche. This guy gets up every day for decades and hunts criminals. He's been tortured, killed, resurrected, hunted, driven insane, wounded innumerable times, witnessed and inflicted unspeakable horrors, and Frank does not quit. Doesn't even take days off. That's some impressive willpower.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 8
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.