The heroic Zero from Schoolhouse Rock

Posted by Nightmask 
The heroic Zero from Schoolhouse Rock
December 07, 2014 03:27PM
Super-hero ID: Zero
Name: Unknown
Power Category-Unknown, presumably Random Mutant
Appearance: Appears as a young, blond-haired teenage boy in an ill-fitting super-hero costume with a long red cape.
Height: Roughly 4’ 6”
Weight:
Sex: Male

Fighting: Typical (6)
Agility: Typical (6)
Strength: Typical (6)
Endurance: Typical (6)
Reason: Typical (6)
Intuition: Typical (6)
Psyche: Typical (6)

Health: 24
Resources: Feeble
Popularity: 0 normally, 100 for those aware of his awesomeness.

POWERS

The Power of Zero: Zero possesses the fantastic power of Zero which allows him to manipulate reality in various ways with Unearthly effectiveness. This unique power allows him to take any discrete numerical factor and effectively increase it by ‘adding a zero’ to it as well as reduce it in similar fashion by ‘removing a zero’. At the present time he may add up to 4 zeroes onto something, automatically doing so with a single zero, on a green feat 2, a yellow feat providing 3, and on a red power feat increasing something by an astounding 4 zeroes. Duration is at least 1d10 turns or as long as he concentrates on doing so, whichever is longer. Examples of what he may do with this power include the following:
-He may increase the weight of anything simply by redefining its weight by adding one or more zeroes onto the original defined value of its weight, quickly increasing the weight beyond the ability of most to lift or for living beings to move. Such massive increases in weight may require Endurance (for living things) or Material Strength (for non-living) feat checks to check to see that the weigh doesn’t provide a kill result or break down the surroundings.
-Hyper-Leaping by simply increasing his natural leaping distance as he redefines his range suitably.
-Vastly increase his strength, bumping it up similarly as long as he chooses to concentrate on doing so.
-Augment his physical endurance and stamina by increasing his overall metabolic efficiency and toughness.
-Increase his Healing rate by a suitable factor simply by willing it so (but cannot regenerate lost body parts but may be able to fully recover from otherwise impossible to heal damage to organs such as his kidneys or brain).
-Increase his Agility as far as Unearthly rank by improved nerve conductivity and responsiveness.
-Temporarily increase his Reason and Intuition by increasing the speed at which his brain processes information and right and left-brain hemisphere interactions
-Acquire enhanced senses by modifying the sensitivity of the particular sense as well as provide himself with passive Nightvision.
-More stunts are certainly possible as Zero has barely plumbed the depths of his fantastic power.

TALENTS

Mathematics +3CS;

HISTORY

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: The heroic Zero from Schoolhouse Rock
December 07, 2014 03:52PM
That is a fantastic power, I'd like to play a character like that in game.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
December 07, 2014 10:43PM
hes a nightmare for the GM!

his capabilities are so random may require a lot if fudging behind the screen to make sure you don't accidentally derail the story or kill the player/party

fun to play though... "I leap across the building roofs" (only needs a green roll to increase hyper leaping enough)... rolls white - ker-splat!! grinning smiley
December 07, 2014 11:01PM
NikMak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hes a nightmare for the GM!
>
> his capabilities are so random may require a lot
> if fudging behind the screen to make sure you
> don't accidentally derail the story or kill the
> player/party

Well given it's a storybreaker power (or at least pretty seriously powerful if used to full effect) I did install some limitations since otherwise it would be a 'no feat needed/always succeeds' kind of thing where he could augment anything as infinity as he desired.

> fun to play though... "I leap across the building
> roofs" (only needs a green roll to increase hyper
> leaping enough)... rolls white - ker-splat!! grinning smiley

It does make for a fun and unusual power, I'd been meaning to get around to posting him for years but only got to it tonight after seeing the video again on Youtube thanks to the TVTropes link to it. Lots of interesting powers in the 'Heart is an Awesome Power' trope but many would be difficult or impossible to translate into a game (such as someone with the ability to 'push' anything including pushing away his injuries onto someone else an even pushing away CONCEPTS).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
December 07, 2014 11:03PM
Warlock Wrote:
> That is a fantastic power, I'd like to play a
> character like that in game.

I do love the power myself, and the character and song in general is one of my most favorite ever (and Verb's pretty fun too).

-- Peter David

December 07, 2014 11:39PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> NikMak Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

- --- - edited for brevity - ---- -
Lots of interesting powers in the 'Heart is
> an Awesome Power' trope but many would be
> difficult or impossible to translate into a game
> (such as someone with the ability to 'push'
> anything including pushing away his injuries onto
> someone else an even pushing away CONCEPTS).

- --- - edited for brevity - ---- -

push away concepts... do you mean a power that can impact the concept of 'Drive' or 'Will'; as in "I use my power and the bad guy just doenst have the motivation to commit crime any more"?!

Is it (in terms of game mechanics) any different from any other form of mind control?
December 07, 2014 11:45PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Warlock Wrote:
> -----
> > That is a fantastic power, I'd like to play a
> > character like that in game.
>
> I do love the power myself, and the character and
> song in general is one of my most favorite ever
> (and Verb's pretty fun too).

Conjunction Junction was always my fav. I wonder what a power like Atticus O'Sullivans' Iron Druid power to bind objects together would be like in game? Could be interesting.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
December 07, 2014 11:57PM
NikMak Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> -----
> > NikMak Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
>
> - --- - edited for brevity - ---- -
> Lots of interesting powers in the 'Heart is
> > an Awesome Power' trope but many would be
> > difficult or impossible to translate into a
> game
> > (such as someone with the ability to 'push'
> > anything including pushing away his injuries
> onto
> > someone else an even pushing away CONCEPTS).
>
> - --- - edited for brevity - ---- -
>
> push away concepts... do you mean a power that can
> impact the concept of 'Drive' or 'Will'; as in "I
> use my power and the bad guy just doenst have the
> motivation to commit crime any more"?!
>
> Is it (in terms of game mechanics) any different
> from any other form of mind control?

While I haven't read the material the character is from I got the impression that any concept could be pushed away or into someone else. So I imagine anything that can be codified as a concept could be pushed from exhaustion to morality to mortality and more.

One female character from a work where those with conventional powers were rated heroes and those with odd ones tended to be put upon had the power that you couldn't take anything that belonged to her from her which sounds weak at first until over the course of the series she realizes you can't take her LIFE from her, or her health, then expands to her friends since that would be taking something from her and apparently culminates in her becoming the number one hero of the city as conceptually the city is 'hers' and since crime would take from what's hers crime goes away.

-- Peter David

December 08, 2014 12:59AM
wow... and of course the planet is hers in the same context.. and the solar system if you think about it... where exactly does this stop? smiling smiley
March 22, 2018 04:14PM
I think I under-rated Zero's Strength, when he's shown holding a barbell weight straight up in the air one-handed above him that's rated at 5 pounds he ups it to 50 lbs and handles it and manages for a short bit to hold it up in the air when he increases it to 500 lbs. So he's one-hand holding 500 lbs in the air for several seconds, as a scrawny kid. I think I should have rated him around Good instead of Typical, he's almost Excellent.

-- Peter David

May 10, 2020 06:01PM
Never forget the greatest hero, my hero, ZERO!

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 5
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.