Eternals

Posted by RangerMatthias 
Eternals
August 04, 2022 10:21PM
Has there been any updated Eternals write up?

Movie characterization or current Marvel Eternals vs X-Men stuff?

I read fairly recently where they gave Interloper a name and killed him off-camera. Annoying. He was my favorite Eternal. But, of course I have a pretty major fanon backstory for him. smiling smiley
Re: Eternals
August 05, 2022 12:52AM
Never mind. I found it. Nothing about the movie version (a minor joke on the last page not withstanding, Dr. Stanley Lieberman, indeed!).

While I appreciate the immense amount of time and work put into this, it needs a serious editing. Some basic math wouldn't hurt either - quite a few stats didn't add up correctly. And too many character profiles were obviously just copy and pasted with no proof-read or updates.

But, I'm just picking. I've always been a fan of the Eternals, ever since I first discovered them back in 1986. I had recently seen The Highlander and found the same mystique with these guys - immortal warriors fighting evil through the ages.

At this point, the Eternal's backstory and mythos is deeply woven into Marvel's history - what with the Celestials having actually, or tangentially created almost all of Earths Superhumans, Mutants, Inhumans, and various other Human sub-species. But, originally they were set on an alternate Earth. Only later did Lee and Kirby decide they were Marvel 616. I've always kind of felt that that might have been a mistake. Their mythos seems to work better separate - instead of them being aligned with Greek gods, they originally effectively were Greek gods; Zuras (Zeus), Thena (Athena), Khoryphos (Orpheus) Phastos (Hephaestus) Makkari (Mercury - technically more Roman on that one), etc. They lose a little mystique by just mixing them in with everyone else. IMHO.

I kind of think The Eternals movie should be considered this also. It explains why there hasn't been any mention of the giant hand coming out of the ocean by anyone - you'd think Dr. Strange at the very least would come check that out! But, if it's a different universe, they can always meet up by various multi-verse hopping. Yes, they did discuss Thanos, the Avengers, and young Thor following Sprite around, and now not returning her calls, but all that could still be on their Earth, just not everything MCU related - maybe there's no Dr. Strange or Scarlet Witch? Maybe Reed Richards or Prof X is the smartest man alive instead of Tony Stark?

Anyway, just some random thoughts I had.
Re: Eternals
December 30, 2022 02:21AM
I agree with you that The Eternals would have been much better in their own universe. Same with Jack Kirby's Fourth World. It is really quite sickening seeing his magnificent worlds used as fodder for the usual endless retread stories and his heroes and villains used as jobbers to pump up the main trademarks. Kirby created an American mythos and it is not just silly but quite insulting to see Superman or some other character shoehorned into the perfectly balanced drama of the swapped sons. Likewise with The Eternals it ruins the Chariots of the Gods and cosmic grandeur to have them just be one more inconvenient bit of Kirby's work to be trimmed and crushed into a niche rather than being their own story.

Kirby himself tried to tie up the loose ends in Captain Victory by having him be Darkseid's grandson or something as well as hinting at a connection to his version of Thor. It still made more sense and was more elegantly presented in a throwaway page than all the tortuous writing of Kirby's characters and settings into and out of continuity (or what now passes for it).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 41
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.