Man of Steel Casualty estimate

Posted by civet5285 
Re: Man of Steel Casualty estimate
December 03, 2014 06:02AM
I can believe it. They really tore some shit up in that film. smileys with beer

Of course, the price of failure was world domination by Zod. Gotta look at the long view. winking smiley
December 03, 2014 08:53AM
FASERIPPER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course, the price of failure was world
> domination by Zod. Gotta look at the long view.

True, but the impact of these figures makes Superman seem a lot less super. Its like the message is that heroes are just ordinary people too and when villainy threatens, they can't save you. Childhood ruined, everything ruined, movie sucked, yada yada yada.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 03, 2014 11:22AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> FASERIPPER Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Of course, the price of failure was world
> > domination by Zod. Gotta look at the long
> view.
>
>
> True, but the impact of these figures makes
> Superman seem a lot less super. Its like the
> message is that heroes are just ordinary people
> too and when villainy threatens, they can't save
> you. Childhood ruined, everything ruined, movie
> sucked, yada yada yada.

Ah, well... it's true as far as it goes, I suppose. We all love watching super-powered dudes punching each other through sky scrapers, but no one ever thinks of the cost to the puny mortals. Of course, that's a weakness intrinsic to the genre. To some extent, enjoying super hero stories requires you to stick your fingers in your ears and go, "la-la-la-la-la", because if you think about it too hard, the whole trope starts to unravel and your aren't really enjoying it any more.

There are a few stories that have addressed this problem (Watchmen, the TV series Heroes, etc) for a more realistic depiction of the genre, but it remains none-the-less. I don't really mind that much. Comic books will always be purile entertainment for me. I'm cool with that.
December 03, 2014 03:34PM
No. Superman is Superman and he should be saving the city, not helping tear it apart. Pushing the story to make it impossible for him to be the superhero doesn't make it a better story, just more depressing.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 03, 2014 11:01PM
FASERIPPER Wrote:
> Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> -----
> > FASERIPPER Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Of course, the price of failure was world
> > > domination by Zod. Gotta look at the long
> > view.
> >
> >
> > True, but the impact of these figures makes
> > Superman seem a lot less super. Its like the
> > message is that heroes are just ordinary people
> > too and when villainy threatens, they can't
> save
> > you. Childhood ruined, everything ruined,
> movie
> > sucked, yada yada yada.
>
> Ah, well... it's true as far as it goes, I
> suppose. We all love watching super-powered dudes
> punching each other through sky scrapers, but no
> one ever thinks of the cost to the puny mortals.
> Of course, that's a weakness intrinsic to the
> genre. To some extent, enjoying super hero
> stories requires you to stick your fingers in your
> ears and go, "la-la-la-la-la", because if you
> think about it too hard, the whole trope starts to
> unravel and your aren't really enjoying it any
> more.
>
> There are a few stories that have addressed this
> problem (Watchmen, the TV series Heroes, etc) for
> a more realistic depiction of the genre, but it
> remains none-the-less. I don't really mind that
> much. Comic books will always be purile
> entertainment for me. I'm cool with that.

agreed, very much agreed smiling smiley
December 04, 2014 01:04AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> No. Superman is Superman and he should be saving
> the city, not helping tear it apart. Pushing the
> story to make it impossible for him to be the
> superhero doesn't make it a better story, just
> more depressing.

Well, I was actually more or less agreeing with you in my previous post. I simply meant to acknowledge the fact that this topic is a realistic representation of what the cost to the common man would be, if two super-powered beings slugged it out in a major metropolitan area.

Like you, I also prefer my Super Man yarns more sanitized, with the good citizens of Metropolis crawling out of the rubble after the villain has been subdued, somewhat grimy and bruised, but not much the worse for wear, gazing up adoringly into the sky with their hands on their hearts, saying "God bless you, Superman."

More reality-grim stories such as the Watchmen are quite enjoyable too, they just don't deliver the right feel for a classic, four-color paladin of truth and justice, like Superman.
December 04, 2014 05:52AM
Yeah, I'm fine with Watchmen and some others being all grim and gritty... but definitely not Superman.

December 04, 2014 01:08PM
The real Superman, not this wannabe knock off (that lets his dad die and kills Zod in the end) they showed in the movie, would have lured Zod away from the city and civilians the second he realized that this was going to be a knock down drag out city crushing fight.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
December 04, 2014 10:23PM
deleted snarky comment!

i have had my coffee this monring and happy Nick is back in control ;P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 11:47PM by NikMak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 6
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.