Doctor Strange (2016) Trailer

Posted by NikMak 
Doctor Strange (2016) Trailer
April 12, 2016 10:33PM
Doctor Strange

Is an upcoming American superhero film featuring the Marvel Comics character of the same name, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is intended to be the fourteenth film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Scott Derrickson, who wrote the screenplay with C. Robert Cargill from a story by the duo and Jon Spaihts, and stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong, Michael Stuhlbarg, Benjamin Bratt, Scott Adkins, Mads Mikkelsen and Tilda Swinton. In Doctor Strange, surgeon Stephen Strange learns from the Ancient One after a career-ending car accident.

Various incarnations of a Doctor Strange film have been in development since the mid-1980s until Paramount Pictures acquired the film rights in April 2005 on behalf of Marvel Studios. Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer were brought on board in June 2010 to write a screenplay. In June 2014, Derrickson was hired to direct the film. Cumberbatch was chosen for the eponymous role in December 2014, and at the same time, Spaihts was confirmed to be rewriting the script, while Cargill joined Doctor Strange to work on the script with Derrickson. The film began principal photography in November 2015 in Nepal before moving to the United Kingdom, and concluded in New York City in April 2016.

Doctor Strange is scheduled to be released in the United States on November 4, 2016 in 3D and IMAX 3D.
[www.imdb.com]
[en.wikipedia.org])

I can't wait! thumbs up

(Though i do get annoyed that the first film always has to be the origin story - but i understand there is a belief that a significant part of the potential audience dislike non-chronological story telling and /or lack of exposition, so i guess i will try and keep quiet about it! )
FTJ
Re: Doctor Strange Teaser Trailer
April 13, 2016 12:46PM
I'm often one to defend racelifting and genderbending characters, but the "Ancient One" in this movie looks like a terrible casting choice after seeing this trailer. I'm planning to see the movie, but this trailer makes me nervous.

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
April 13, 2016 01:39PM
SQUEEESPLOOSH!!!

I think Tilda was awesome as the Ancient One, IMO its about what she imparts to Strange and not what shee looks like that matters.

Marvel > DC
hot smiley
April 14, 2016 01:32AM
Tilda Switnon is a great actress, and I loved her portrayal in Orlando and in Only Lovers left Alive. Those performances obviously persuaded them she has what it takes to play someone hundreds of years old. I have the secret hope that one day it will be revealed that Orlando, Eve and the Ancient One are actually all the same character! smiling smiley
April 14, 2016 11:06AM
Warlock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SQUEEESPLOOSH!!!
>
> I think Tilda was awesome as the Ancient One, IMO
> its about what she imparts to Strange and not what
> shee looks like that matters.

Not me. I hear her talking, and instead of great wisdom in the voice of a mystic mentor, I just hear words words words and I want her to shut up because she is not the Ancient One. Swing and a miss in my book, Marvel... not going to watch it. End of story.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
April 14, 2016 02:54PM
Tilda rules at this role from what I have seen, because she is playing a hundreds year old Asian sorcerer and still manages to look like an English woman.

Oscar. Definitely. 'Nuff Said.

Popeye the Sailor vs All Three Stooges

Spinach comes out and someone dies.
April 14, 2016 07:09PM
Seriously... I hope when we see Black Panther behind the mask that it turns out to be a very talented Asian actor cast as a black man who is the king of a small, isolated African kingdom. Because that would be no different than Tilda as the Ancient One.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
April 15, 2016 12:22AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> Seriously... I hope when we see Black Panther
> behind the mask that it turns out to be a very
> talented Asian actor cast as a black man who is
> the king of a small, isolated African kingdom.
> Because that would be no different than Tilda as
> the Ancient One.

glad to see your finally coming round to our way of thinking; who would you pick? a few year ago Chow Yun-Fat would have been a great choice, but I'm not sure he still has the physical presence; Vincent Zhao Wenzhuo has the right feel for the role I think, but Im not to sure about his acting... I know Donnie Yen! he was awesome in IP man, he would be an ideal Black Panther smiling smiley
April 15, 2016 02:11AM
SMH confuzed smiley

FTJ
April 15, 2016 11:12AM
I initially referred to this trailer as Doctor Inception with a horribly cast Ancient One, and after rewatching it, I still feel that way. I just do not like Tilda Swinton's look or voice for that part. Maybe I'll come around, but right now my hope is that she's not in very many scenes. Maybe Mordo does most of Strange's hands-on training. Or maybe they do last minute reshoots and replace Tilda Swinton with that old Chinese woman from Daredevil. smiling smiley

As for Black Panther, obviously he should have been played by Chris Evans. tongue sticking out smiley

I miss Gene.

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
April 16, 2016 01:21AM
hmm, not aware of Chris Evans acting credentials... but if you say he can do a good job as Black Panther I'm all for it smiling smiley

April 16, 2016 09:21AM
Regarding Tilda as the Ancient One...

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has stated that in the Marvel Cinematic Universe there have been several individuals who have held the title of The Ancient One throughout the ages: "As we were developing this film we looked at The Ancient One as a mantle more than a specific person. The sorcerers have been around for millennia, protecting us from things we didn’t know about until this story. There have been multiple [Ancient Ones], even if this one has been around for five hundred years, there were others. This is a mantle, and therefore felt we had leeway to cast in interesting ways."

So Tilda's Ancient One is an inheritor of the mantle from a prior Ancient One. I was hoping it was something like that to explain why the cineverse Ancient One was being played by a white woman. It suggests Stephen Strange is not the first to have traveled there seeking help and end up receiving training. I can work with that.
FTJ
April 16, 2016 11:50AM
Did anyone think of telling Kevin Feige that Sorcerer Supreme is the title? Because I'm thinking maybe somebody should have explained that to him.

I miss Gene.

April 16, 2016 12:45PM
Redman II Wrote:
> Regarding Tilda as the Ancient One...
>
> Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige has stated
> that in the Marvel Cinematic Universe there have
> been several individuals who have held the title
> of The Ancient One throughout the ages: "As we
> were developing this film we looked at The Ancient
> One as a mantle more than a specific person.

Yup, everyone is a "mantle" identity these days. It's the magic key to casting anyone they want in any role they want. Well, I'm not buying it... neither the crap argument nor a ticket to the movie.

Redman II Wrote:
> The sorcerers have been around for millennia,
> protecting us from things we didn’t know about
> until this story. There have been multiple [Ancient
> Ones], even if this one has been around for five
> hundred years, there were others. This is a mantle,
> and therefore felt we had leeway to cast in
> interesting ways."

Nope... and I'll let FTJ explain it:

FTJ Wrote:
> Did anyone think of telling Kevin Feige that
> Sorcerer Supreme is the title? Because I'm
> thinking maybe somebody should have
> explained that to him.

This here. "The Ancient One" is not a mantle. It may be a title bestowed upon the man we know as The Ancient One in the comics, but his mantle was the one that was passed to Dr. Strange. The Ancient One as a title lends itself to some ridiculous concepts, such as a newly christened Ancient One who's only 16 when taking over for the previous. Sorry, that is as idiotic as I perceive Kevin Feige to be.

Redman II Wrote:
> So Tilda's Ancient One is an inheritor of the
> mantle from a prior Ancient One. I was hoping it
> was something like that to explain why the
> cineverse Ancient One was being played by a white
> woman. It suggests Stephen Strange is not the
> first to have traveled there seeking help and end
> up receiving training. I can work with that.

So Tilda and Kevin can kiss my backside, and have all the spin explaining away the change that they want, but if this is the way they've chosen to go, they can do it without my money, and I will have to seriously contemplate contributing to any other movies made by the same idiot people under the same idiot decisions with similar idiot explanations.

You can work with that, Redman... the only work I with it, however, is to condemn it as much as possible as the absolute crap that it is. I refuse to settle for garbage because someone came up with a way to spin it in a positive way. I'm still wondering what Baron Mordo is baron of, or if he just claimed the title because he's the bad guy and has no regard for rules. Because Transylvania has a population of approximately 7.3 million with only just under 700 of them being black men... it just seems unlikely in the extreme that one would achieve a title of nobility there unless it was through villainous means. And if that's the case, then that pretty much ruins the positive spin of casting a minority in the role.

June 27, 2016 09:59AM
Tigerfaced God Wrote:
> Tilda rules at this role from what I have seen,
> because she is playing a hundreds year old Asian
> sorcerer and still manages to look like an English
> woman.
>
>
> Oscar. Definitely. 'Nuff Said.

For a twist, I'd love to see the film end by Tilda explaining to Benedict at the very end of the film that she appeared to him as a woman to expand his mind to the possibilities...then she morphs into an older Asian man with a wink.

BAM, character preserved. It won't happen, but if it did!

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
June 28, 2016 12:24AM
Taarna Wrote:
> Tigerfaced God Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tilda rules at this role from what I have seen,
> > because she is playing a hundreds year old
> Asian
> > sorcerer and still manages to look like an
> English
> > woman.
> >
> >
> > Oscar. Definitely. 'Nuff Said.
>
>
> For a twist, I'd love to see the film end by Tilda
> explaining to Benedict at the very end of the film
> that she appeared to him as a woman to expand his
> mind to the possibilities...then she morphs into
> an older Asian man with a wink.
>
> BAM, character preserved. It won't happen, but if
> it did!

+1 this

preferably addressing the statement direct to camera so the rabid fanboys know its directed at them smiling smiley
June 28, 2016 01:39AM
NikMak Wrote:
> Taarna Wrote:
> -----
> > For a twist, I'd love to see the film end by Tilda
> > explaining to Benedict at the very end of the film
> > that she appeared to him as a woman to expand
> > his mind to the possibilities...then she morphs into
> > an older Asian man with a wink.
> >
> > BAM, character preserved. It won't happen, but
> > if it did!
>
> +1 this
>
> preferably addressing the statement direct to
> camera so the rabid fanboys know its directed at
> them smiling smiley

And that nod to the fanboys would just ruin it, because it would come off as condescending and pandering just a teeny tiny bit to save face with fans of the comics while still allowing them to do whatever the Hell they want. If Tilda is in it, I want nothing to do with it. Personally, I just don't like her. I'm not swayed in the least by her acting ability, and I've never enjoyed a single movie with her in it. Honestly, if there were a way to trade her life for Anton Yelchin after his tragic accident, I'd be all for it... and I don't really like the new Trek movies all that much.

June 28, 2016 02:11AM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> NikMak Wrote:
> -----
> > Taarna Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > For a twist, I'd love to see the film end by
> Tilda
> > > explaining to Benedict at the very end of the
> film
> > > that she appeared to him as a woman to expand
> > > his mind to the possibilities...then she
> morphs into
> > > an older Asian man with a wink.
> > >
> > > BAM, character preserved. It won't happen,
> but
> > > if it did!
> >
> > +1 this
> >
> > preferably addressing the statement direct to
> > camera so the rabid fanboys know its directed
> at
> > them smiling smiley
>
>
> And that nod to the fanboys would just ruin it,
> because it would come off as condescending and
> pandering just a teeny tiny bit to save face with
> fans of the comics while still allowing them to do
> whatever the Hell they want. If Tilda is in it, I
> want nothing to do with it. Personally, I just
> don't like her. I'm not swayed in the least by
> her acting ability, and I've never enjoyed a
> single movie with her in it. Honestly, if there
> were a way to trade her life for Anton Yelchin
> after his tragic accident, I'd be all for it...
> and I don't really like the new Trek movies all
> that much.

ahh, you misunderstood me - i suggested the direct look at camera as a wee bit of an insult to the 'rabid fanboys', a recognition that their concerns were invalid and inappropriate in a modern, civilized society; a throw back to the behaviors of the mid 20th century. sorry if that was not clear smiling smiley

as for not liking Tilda Swinton i am surprised may i ask - what films have you watched her in?

as for the star trek reference and the trading of her life for another... why would you even bring that up? it seems like uncalled for hatred and bile for no good reason - but then this is the internet i suppose :-/
June 28, 2016 03:03AM
NikMak Wrote:
> ahh, you misunderstood me - i suggested the direct
> look at camera as a wee bit of an insult to the
> 'rabid fanboys', a recognition that their concerns
> were invalid and inappropriate in a modern,
> civilized society; a throw back to the behaviors
> of the mid 20th century. sorry if that was not
> clear smiling smiley

Oh no, I didn't misunderstand at all. I would think that insult at the fanboys would justify their concerns and would ruin any attempt at inserting the Asian master trying to teach the lesson. It would come off like a big middle finger, and if that's the route they're going to take, then how is that not a throwback to older, less enlightened behaviors?

> as for not liking Tilda Swinton i am surprised may
> i ask - what films have you watched her in?

You can ask anything. The Chronicles of Narnia movies, Constantine, and Vanilla Sky. Hate her in everything, and hated everything I've seen her in. So I already hate Doctor Strange and I don't even have to watch it to know. I'm very confident in and of my hatred.

> as for the star trek reference and the trading of
> her life for another... why would you even bring
> that up? it seems like uncalled for hatred and
> bile for no good reason - but then this is the
> internet i suppose :-/

I called for it. See my previous comments about hatred. Basically I'm saying I'd rather it were her who passed on over any other performer... except maybe Samuel Jackson. I think I'd put the two of them on the same level of how much I hate them and their movie roles and really wish neither had ever gone into acting. Maybe if they'd gotten cancer early on in life and just stayed out of films... maybe I wouldn't hate quite as much as I have in the theaters.

June 28, 2016 03:07AM
Basically, I'm really hoping that this movie tanks harder than the first Captain America movie.

No, not the Chris Evans one... this one:

And if her movie baldness is not the result of the actress actually having cancer, then I'm just not wishing hard enough. the finger smiley

June 28, 2016 03:38AM
snip

>
> And if her movie baldness is not the result of the
> actress actually having cancer, then I'm just not
> wishing hard enough. the finger smiley

hmm, this web site has always had a dark heart to it - homophobia, misogyny and racism is a recurring problem - but i would not expect this from a moderator on any other site - in fact i would expect a moderator to delete exactly this kind of comment on most sites (maybe not on sites like 'Britain First' or '4chan', but most others). Am I out of touch?
June 28, 2016 05:03AM
I have wished cancer on people before. It's a thing I do. Get over it.

www.classicmarvelforever.com/phorum/read.php?3,76153,76161#msg-76161
www.classicmarvelforever.com/phorum/read.php?3,74491,74636#msg-74636
www.classicmarvelforever.com/phorum/read.php?3,72053,72651#msg-72651

June 28, 2016 11:19PM
No, i don't think i will.

I have been uncomfortable with the tone of this web site for quite a while. I think it is time I withdraw from these forums, I don't need negative, hate filled people in my life.

Maybe after I have had break from the bile that is spewed forth here, I will fee like returning, but for now I have had enough of you all.

Good bye and good luck in your future all of you, I hope you have happiness and health for you and your families.
August 08, 2016 12:30PM
NikMak Wrote:
> snip
>
> >
> > And if her movie baldness is not the result of
> the
> > actress actually having cancer, then I'm just
> not
> > wishing hard enough. the finger smiley
>
> hmm, this web site has always had a dark heart to
> it - homophobia, misogyny and racism is a
> recurring problem - but i would not expect this
> from a moderator on any other site - in fact i
> would expect a moderator to delete exactly this
> kind of comment on most sites (maybe not on sites
> like 'Britain First' or '4chan', but most others).
> Am I out of touch?

REALLY not getting where you think this site's got a 'dark heart', particularly in regards to any of those things you list. That might be what you tell yourself because you don't want to accept any reason but that for why someone didn't like a particular character that wasn't a white male but that doesn't make it so.

That being said Thrud is going too far with the degree of animosity voiced towards that female actress (which again while he hates her that doesn't mean he's hating her because he's misogynistic people do hate for more reasons than that) particularly as a moderator and generally such 'I wish she'd die from cancer' posts would get deleted from most forums that have any form of moderation.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 9
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.