Suggested forum modfications, updates

Posted by Daelon 
Suggested forum modfications, updates
April 15, 2008 07:35PM
Hoi all!

here can we post our requests, suggestions how the forum's, the forum's rules should be changed to be a better place to talk each other.

Dae
Re: Suggested forum modfications, updates
April 15, 2008 07:39PM
1st on my wishlist is an "ignore" function. with that the users can hide those persons messages which they don't want to read. i think this could be very useful to shut down flames...

2nd is to set a size limit to the signature, to prevent the page-sized images.

any opinion ?
April 15, 2008 08:40PM
I'll take both of those into account. Thank you.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
April 16, 2008 04:48AM
I'll second the idea of an Ignore list. It works well at Daz3d.com's forums for the 3d art community.

I'll also suggest that the size for sigfile images be limited to the max of a standard web advertising
banner: 480 pixels wide by 60 pixels high. That's thes standard for advertising and a number of other
sites I'm active in--both as a user and as an admin.

It keeps down the graphical clutter that slows down the boards, and helps prevent the "visual pollution"
that having a great deal of lage images to scroll through creates when all one wants to do is read the
text and 'meat' of the discussion.

Add to that suggestion, the option to not view sigfiles at all (managed from the individual member's
profile as an option).

Best regards,

Niniri

April 17, 2008 09:37AM
Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know, if people aren't considerate with their signatures, you can go into your forum settings, and there is now an option (a checkbox) that allows each of you to disable the display of signatures. I hope that helps.

Also, if there is a general user-moderated guideline about signatures, anyone with a huge picture can be asked to change their signature to something that promotes less clutter. It should be obvious to most which signatures are over the top.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2008 09:37AM by kevin.
April 17, 2008 09:23PM
I’m curious if the Threads break off into numbered pages????….

I know the Forum Topics break off after 20 or so posts, but I mean the individual Threads.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Expanded MSH Table
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

MOTÖRHEAD
April 18, 2008 04:42AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think they might, after 10 or 20 posts. But I might just be thinking forum topics.

Scratch that - I'm thinking there might not be pagination now. Judging from the settings, the flat view threads should start to paginate after 30 posts. I assume this will work, but I'm not sure we have any threads with more than 30 posts yet.

Does anyone like the new hybrid-threaded view of the discussion forum threads? Or do you all prefer the flat view of all the other forum threads?

Kevin M. Frey
Owner / Technical Consultant
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 06:46AM by kevin.
April 18, 2008 05:13AM
hoi !

my vote for the classic flat-view smiling smiley

Dae
April 18, 2008 05:39AM
Thanks Daelon, for your opinion. I believe I've taken care of number one on your wishlist smiling smiley

What I might be able to do is let users set what view they see (flat/threaded/hybrid). I'll look into that.

OK - Flat view's been restored as the default, and users can change the setting themselves if they prefer threaded or hybrid view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 05:46AM by kevin.
April 18, 2008 06:43AM
ATTENTION Everyone,

We've updated the signatures so all of them have dividers now. If you've implemented your own divider with dashes or underscores or some such thing, you should edit your signature so you don't have double dividers. We're also looking into rules for signature images.

The question is, how would everyone decide what image is too big?
April 18, 2008 07:38AM
Hmmm, I definitely prefer threaded where I see just the post I'm trying to read with the tree showing the rest, with the ones I've read shown as such and the unread ones listed a different way so I can track and read just what I aim to read.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 18, 2008 07:48AM
The good news is you should be able to change it yourself in your Control Center. Give it a try - if there are any problems... post back.
April 19, 2008 10:28AM
Thank you for the ignore button, Kevin. I appreciate the effort you're putting into this! smiling smiley

Cheers,

Niniri

April 20, 2008 03:22PM
All,

Had a few requests to shorten signature line to 30-40% of the width of the signature area. I tried this, and don't really like the wya it looks, so i have it at 76% now and made it a lighter color to make it more subtle and less divisive. What are people's thoughts on the signature divider?

Niniri: glad to help!
April 20, 2008 07:35PM
hoi Kevin!

the divider is ok for me, it's visible, and the signature is narrower with it, too smiling smiley

Dae
April 22, 2008 02:10PM
Hmmm, the Artwork and Concept Videos section of the forums doesn't move threads with the newest posts to the top like the other forums do, you have to hunt through it to find where someone posted a reply to an existing thread.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 23, 2008 10:29AM
Nightmask,

I'm unable to duplicate this issue... I bumped a thread by posting to it with no problem. It moved to the top right away. Can you provide any additional details?

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 23, 2008 12:40PM
Can we get a forum as before, Your Favorites, where homebrewed characters can go. Then the other stats forum is for pretty much anything else, comic book, movie, book, etc. characters.
April 23, 2008 12:59PM
Redman II and I both had looked into the Artwork and Videos forums after seeing notifies of new posts yet they weren't at the top they were at the bottom of the page instead. I suppose it might have been a temporary glitch if it's moving new posts to the top now but we've both seen new posts that didn't move up like they do in the other forums.

-- Peter David

Can't log out
April 23, 2008 01:05PM
Strange, tried to log off the site to check something and I can't seem to log out.

-- Peter David

April 23, 2008 01:36PM
tystates Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can we get a forum as before, Your Favorites,
> where homebrewed characters can go. Then the other
> stats forum is for pretty much anything else,
> comic book, movie, book, etc. characters.

I second this notion. It would make for less potential confusion when folks post a homegrown version of established characters, and help make it more clear as to which character writeups are modeled from the comics, movies, etc.
April 23, 2008 01:42PM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Redman II and I both had looked into the Artwork
> and Videos forums after seeing notifies of new
> posts yet they weren't at the top they were at the
> bottom of the page instead. I suppose it might
> have been a temporary glitch if it's moving new
> posts to the top now but we've both seen new posts
> that didn't move up like they do in the other
> forums.

I just made a reply to a thread in Artwork & Videos, and it moved the thread to the top of the list. So it seems that little glitch was indeed either temporary or is fixed now.
April 23, 2008 03:40PM
Also looks like more of my characters are missing their character pages looking more into the forums, and someone's character just vanishes completely on page 8 of the Your Favorites section. [www.classicmarvel.com]

-- Peter David

April 23, 2008 04:00PM
I can keep re-importing the database, but it's certainly possible that some items are just broken, and I don't know if re-importing will fix some stuff, but break others, or if it will even do anything differently at all. I'm willing to try, but it's a risk.

Kevin M. Frey
TransEffect LLC

TransEffect LLC
April 23, 2008 05:56PM
Whatever we have saved is good, no need to risk losing anything else. Probably lucky to have gotten this much of the archive transferred.

Re: Can't log out
April 26, 2008 11:21AM
So has anyone been looking into why I (and maybe others) can't log out? Perhaps related to fixing the problem of the archive forums automatically logging you out the fix won't let you log out at all?

-- Peter David

Re: Can't log out
April 26, 2008 01:39PM
You still can't log out? Weird.. I have no trouble logging out...
April 26, 2008 05:24PM
I'm having no issues with this new forum, as is. Everything runs much faster vs. the old 56k like loading speed and frequent drops of the old forum. Plus this one is running Digital vs. the Anolog. Kevin really doesn't need to do much with this site. It's running great. Plus, the Skycutter pays for these updates for us. I personally think he's done enough and then some.
April 26, 2008 05:30PM
Uh you don't consider a problem with a log-in/log-out for the site a problem to be fixed, other than it's not a problem you've got?

-- Peter David

April 26, 2008 05:47PM
Friends,

There is going to be a short break in the responses to community requests for change. Perhaps a couple of weeks to see what types of problems arise with the new set up we have hear. Kevin, to my knowledge, has already heard your pleas and is taking everything posted here under consideration. However, the management feels that a period of time with no changes to the site is required to effectively, and efficiently discover all the potential bugs flying around in this place. It is much easier on both Kevin's work day, and Skycutter's wallet, if we fix things after a more comprehensive look of the operation has been gleaned.

Questions or comments can be left here in this Topic, or in Private Messages to Skycutter or myself.

I'm sure you understand.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 20
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.