Game Revisions

Posted by Ameca 
Game Revisions
July 26, 2008 06:42AM
Greetings fellow Marvel fans..

I have been playing Marvel for some time now and have made a few modifications to the game to make it more interesting. I will provide you the rule and the reasoning behind it.

Rule change 1

Damage

Damage is now configured by rolling random damage verses random resistance. Everything is done in the field of D4/6/10 sided dice. Unearthly can use D100.

Example: John has Excellent Strength and would roll 2D10 to damage the thug. He rolls 15 and inflicts Excellent Rank damage of 15 points to the Thug. The thug has on Kelvar with a Good 10 protection. The Thug Rolls 6. The total damage the thug would take is 9 points.

Reason:
In comics there is always the random nature of a weaker hero or villain able to damage a stronger one that a clear case flat score would not account for.

Rule change 2

Danger Sense

We allow for a Danger Sense roll. If successful the Hero or Villain can take any Defensive action for free that turn. Danger Sense would get action resistance rolls for multiple attack events as well. Like fighting the Danger Sense could gain more than 1 reaction.

Spiderman is being attacked by 2 thugs and has already attacked 2 other thugs. He rolls successfully on his Danger Sense and opts to Evade his attackers. He is successfully on both accounts and completely evades their attacks and gains +1 CS in the process on his return next round attacks.

Reason: Spiderman. He is the reason we changed Danger Sense. It did not justify his comic book ability until we added this change. Then he became the Amazing Spiderman again. *Nuff Said

Rule Change 3

The Action Ability Score

Take the Fighting / Agility/ Reason/ Intuition scores add them together and divide by 4. This total will give you your rank for determining two events. Initiatives and changing actions. This score is rounded and you will take the high end to determine your INT for each round.

Example: If your Action Ability Score is 32 then you get a 3 plus whatever you roll on a D10 for initiative.

For changing your action it uses the total sum against the universal chart.

Example: If your Action Ability score is 32 then you roll on the Remarkable col of the table. Green is -2 to the action changed, Yellow is -1 and Reds are perfect scores for no action reduction.

Reason:
Initiative rolls should be based on how well a character can preform not on how well their Intuition is strickly. The example that comes to mind is Someone who is a good fighter (but has a low Int) could still understand tactics and know how best to position themselves for battle. Someone agile might be more quick then you are giving them credit for even if they are not very perceptive. Like we are sure Sherlock Homles is very perceptive but why would he win int every time against say Thor when it is obvious Thor knows how to fight and Mr. Holmes obviously is not a scrapper. Then we come to Reason. Someone smart might be able to out think someone with good fighting skills.. then lastly is Intuition. So you see we are trying to create a full package of ability into 1 score instead of relying on 1 stat like say the game Champions did.

Reason:
The reason we wanted to change the Change action roll is for all the same reasons above. It makes sense~

Well folks those are the main rule changes we came up with. If I recall others as our game goes on I will post them here. I want to thank the creators of this site. You folks are my heroes.. I am such a deep fan of these rules and deeply happy that their are others that enjoy them as well. Games like D&D however interesting and endearing just don't afford the kind of creative freedoms that this games rule sets allow. As a game master/DM I enjoy creating my whole universe and I don't like using what has already been done. My adventures in Third Earth, have been fantastic and far removed from the typical Marvel characters or DC. The nice thing is I can do "Cross Overs" and time I want and bring into my world those elements. All that said.. feel free to use what rules we have come up with to make our game more enjoyable to us. I know the other rule set changes I have read have helps us!

Ok folks.. good luck.. and most importantly
Have fun storming the Castle!
Ameca~
Re: Game Revisions
July 26, 2008 06:56AM
Additions:

Rule Change 4

Healing Factors

Regeneration heals at this rate:

Pr: 4 heals 1.2 hit points every 3 rounds. = 4 hit points over 10 rounds or 1 turn
Ty: 6 heals 1.2 hit points every 2 rounds. = 6 hit points over 10 rounds or 1 turn
Gd: 10 heals 1 hit point every round. 10 hit points over 10 rounds or 1 turn
Ex: 20 heals 2 hit points every round. 20 hit points over 10 rounds or 1 turn.

Etc all the way up.

Recovery

Recovers at 1 End rank per turn with a successful rank check on the Universal table.
The player/enemy can make a Recovery check at the round immediately following the first loss of End ranks to stop any residual End losses from bleed damage etc.

I know others might do this differently but this is our way of handling it.

Enjoy folks~
Ameca
July 26, 2008 07:55AM
Welcome to the Forums, Ameca smiling smiley

The Danger Sense and Action Ability Score options definitely pique my interest. I'll certainly check those ones out and see how they work for our group. smiling smiley

And thanks to your parting remark there, I'm going to have Princess Bride quotes bouncing around my head all day. tongue sticking out smiley
July 26, 2008 07:06PM
you have some interesting inovations. I really like your take on the damage roll. i think that one is very creative and thematic. The only downside I could see is one where your player rolls uncannily high, and your npc rolls pathetically low, and suddenly your Thanos or your Apocalypse, just got took down by Squirrel Girl.
August 10, 2008 01:02AM
I really like the danger sense rule. It accuratly reflects Spiderman Id say. Im using that one for sure.
October 16, 2008 05:18AM
There was a really cool dodging revision I read once. Basicly it's like this:

Agility score was subtracted from the dice roll, with column shifts depending on the color result. I liked the idea but thought subtraction form the dice score was too extreme. I would go with agility score of the defender vs. agility score of the attacker. Anything left over would then be taken from the dice roll.

Example:

Incredible (40) agility defender vs. Excellent (20) attacker. Attacker rolls 50 on percentile dice. This leaves the attack resolved on shift 0 column, plus it loses 20 point on the dice roll. So the attack gets resolved as a roll of 30 on the shift 0 column.

You could also apply colmn shifts for environmental conditions, talents, etc.
October 16, 2008 07:12AM
Reading the Danger Sense and Evade can only be used against one opponent at a time and only in close quarters combat (adjacent characters). It's the opposite of Dodge which can only be used with shooting and charging attacks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 17
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.