Classic Marvel Forever Combat House Rules

Posted by Nexus 
Classic Marvel Forever Combat House Rules
January 30, 2018 12:53AM
Have you tried of them in play? Which ones and how did they work out?
Re: Classic Marvel Forever Combat House Rules
January 30, 2018 08:47AM
Nexus
Have you tried of them in play? Which ones and how did they work out?

I think the most used house rules I know of are the various rules for Edged Weapons and damage, of which there are several options. They all work fairly well, the biggest issue is finding which suits your game the best.

One world of adventure is never enough.
January 30, 2018 12:35PM
I recently read in a Marvel group on Facebook about some people discussing the Evasion rule and whether it allows one to cover all attacks in a turn or if 1 evasion = 1 attack evaded. Several people seemed to agree that a successful evasion allows one to avoid all attacks from a single attacker, and that attacks from another attacker would require an additional evade FEAT roll (if one has the multiple attacks/actions to do so). And some feel that a successful evasion only applies to 1 attack, so that someone who wants to defend against 3 attacks would need to make 3 separate evade FEATs.

Honestly, I can see arguments for both sides, and I'm not sure which is official. My group has always played it as 1 evade avoids 1 attack, but I am considering trying it out the other way. I'm not sure if it's a house rule or not, but it can't hurt to try new things.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 01, 2018 07:13PM
I'm currently using it as effecting one attack while Dodge affects all attacks in the turn. It seems to keep them both useful for different situations.
February 02, 2018 10:53AM
I was the one who started the thread you are talking about from Facebook. Based on that discussion I house ruled dodge and evade as follows:

Evade: declared a beginning of round against 1 melee attacker that you are aware of. If you evade you evade all attacks from that attacker that round pls you get the bonus next round if you get a yellow or red. If someone who is super fast like the flash and can make large numbers of attacks, treat the attacks as attacks you are not aware of therefore you may not evade them.

Dodge works as is except it can be applied to both melee and missile attacks. We couldn't think of a logical reason why it wouldn't.

Thrudjelmer
I recently read in a Marvel group on Facebook about some people discussing the Evasion rule and whether it allows one to cover all attacks in a turn or if 1 evasion = 1 attack evaded. Several people seemed to agree that a successful evasion allows one to avoid all attacks from a single attacker, and that attacks from another attacker would require an additional evade FEAT roll (if one has the multiple attacks/actions to do so). And some feel that a successful evasion only applies to 1 attack, so that someone who wants to defend against 3 attacks would need to make 3 separate evade FEATs.

Honestly, I can see arguments for both sides, and I'm not sure which is official. My group has always played it as 1 evade avoids 1 attack, but I am considering trying it out the other way. I'm not sure if it's a house rule or not, but it can't hurt to try new things.
February 03, 2018 02:50PM
Has anyone used this House Rule by Redman? If so, how did it work?

The attack roll is modified based on the two opponent's comparative Fighting ability.

Compare the two foes' Fighting abilities in order to get a modifier to the attack roll. The character with the higher Fighting gets a bonus to his attack rolls equal to the difference between the two characters' Fighting ranks. Likewise, the lesser-ranked opponent suffers a penalty to his attack rolls equal to the difference.

Example: Captain America, with Amazing Fighting, is slugging it out with a random ninja with Excellent Fighting. When Cap attacks, he gets a +30 bonus to his rolls on the Amazing column. The ninja likewise suffers a -30 to his rolls on the Excellent column.
February 04, 2018 06:36AM
I'm not a fan. I did try it with my group, but I found that it made the difference in Fighting levels too pronounced. I used a modified rule of characters get a +1CS, -1CS, or no modifier only for differences in Fighting ranks. Therefore, Captain America with his Amazing Fighting who is already superior to the Excellent Fighting ninja only gets a +1CS bonus, while the Ninja fights at Good rank against Captain America. This puts a 5 rank difference in fighting ability (without taking into account talents or situational modifiers) of actually only have a 3 rank difference.

I know Captain America is great, but giving him +30 to his die roll means he doesn't miss (no White FEAT possible), while the ninja can never get a lucky Red FEAT in with a -30 to the attack roll, minimizing the threat of a trained assassin. He might as well have Typical Fighting rank, or be the equivalent of an unskilled combatant. One bonus or the other might be explainable, but with one going up and the other going down by the same amount, it becomes a no-risk situation.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 06, 2018 12:44PM
Thrudjelmer
I'm not a fan. I did try it with my group, but I found that it made the difference in Fighting levels too pronounced. I used a modified rule of characters get a +1CS, -1CS, or no modifier only for differences in Fighting ranks. Therefore, Captain America with his Amazing Fighting who is already superior to the Excellent Fighting ninja only gets a +1CS bonus, while the Ninja fights at Good rank against Captain America. This puts a 5 rank difference in fighting ability (without taking into account talents or situational modifiers) of actually only have a 3 rank difference.

I know Captain America is great, but giving him +30 to his die roll means he doesn't miss (no White FEAT possible), while the ninja can never get a lucky Red FEAT in with a -30 to the attack roll, minimizing the threat of a trained assassin. He might as well have Typical Fighting rank, or be the equivalent of an unskilled combatant. One bonus or the other might be explainable, but with one going up and the other going down by the same amount, it becomes a no-risk situation.

Sadly that's what I thought. I wanted to make combat resolution more skill vs skill for years but I never did find a method that didn't make things overly lopsided.
February 17, 2018 06:06PM
The color results system makes it nearly impossible to handle combat using relative strengths/skills as a benchmark for bonuses. I've pretty much given up on running Marvel because of this. I'm tired of trying to justify combat.

Anymore I think it's simply silly to run combats with characters like Cap. There's absolutely zero reason a normal thug should be able to land a blow against Cap, even if he isn't going fully defensive. Hell, even Aunt May has a decent chance of landing a punch on him. Makes no sense and I grew tired of ignoring the strangeness of it.

Better yet, try running a character like Flash. Anyone can hit him, no matter how fast he's running and it's just as easy to hit him running as if he were standing still. Sure, give the character a few negative column shifts, and still you get a 40% chance of hitting him. Could Dodge, but even then, 40% chance of hitting, and he needs to slow down. Makes no sense.

There's too much hose ruling that needs to be done for my limited gaming bandwidth. Too old and tired for it anymore.

EDIT: Just after typing this I thought of something......

What if you used Speed as damage resistance? Or Fighting as damage resistance? Combat is abstract anyway. Instead of Cap having to dodge, His AM fighting reduces melee damage by 50 points. This accounts for him bobbing and weaving, blocking, rolling with the blow, etc. If he is unaware, or totally not fighting back, this doesn't apply.

A Speedster would instead use speed. The rate of speed could reduce damage to account for being harder to hit, faster reflexes letting the speedster move out of the way, etc. This could happen over a certain threshold, say -6 ranks or something (so speed over RM would start reducing damage).

Hmm...I like it, could account for the combat issue I am so frustrated with. Damn, may need to run a new game now. Dangit!

EDIT2: Perhaps use the block mechanics, but allow the use of other abilities/attributes depending on the situation, and allow it for free instead of taking an action. For instance, allow a block with Psyche versus mental attack, or Agility against a ranged attack (a Dodge, instead of the normal dodge mechanics), etc

February 18, 2018 03:53AM
I just have to add my $0.02 on this opinion.

barna10
The color results system makes it nearly impossible to handle combat using relative strengths/skills as a benchmark for bonuses. I've pretty much given up on running Marvel because of this. I'm tired of trying to justify combat.

Anymore I think it's simply silly to run combats with characters like Cap. There's absolutely zero reason a normal thug should be able to land a blow against Cap, even if he isn't going fully defensive. Hell, even Aunt May has a decent chance of landing a punch on him. Makes no sense and I grew tired of ignoring the strangeness of it.

Better yet, try running a character like Flash. Anyone can hit him, no matter how fast he's running and it's just as easy to hit him running as if he were standing still. Sure, give the character a few negative column shifts, and still you get a 40% chance of hitting him. Could Dodge, but even then, 40% chance of hitting, and he needs to slow down. Makes no sense.

But they do get hit, even by normal people. Superheroes get hit all the time. Using the Flash, he has a Rogue Gallery filled with people that, realistically, should never be in his Rogue Gallery. The Flash can run near the speed of light, yet Captain Cold has on unnumbered times frozen him in a block of ice. Captain Boomerang and the Trickster are enemies of the Flash. Let me say that again. CAPTAIN f&%*ing BOOMERANG. The TRICKSTER. Enemies of the Flash. A Flash comic book facing off with either one of these villains should consist of one page where half of that page is advertisements. Yet again and again, the Flash not only has challenges from Captain Boomerang and the Trickster, but is captured and hit and put in various death traps by them. By a guy whose main power is air walking shoes. /dropmic

No, comic make no logical sense when you really think about their powers. But if they totally made sense we would not have a comic book to read. Same thing with MSH RPG. The Flash, realistically, should never be hit as he can move near the speed of light. If that was the case then there is no reason to have the Flash as a PC. Period. The game has balance in order to give you a reason and challenge to play the game.

It is also on the Judge to run the game right. Yes, Aunt May could roll a kill result on Galactus using a kitchen knife. Where is Aunt May going to get the Karma to do such a roll? How is the knife going to get through Galactus' body armor? While the initial statement of "Aunt May could get a Kill result on Galactus" might be true, in a properly run campaign that is not going to happen.

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”
― Oscar Wilde
February 18, 2018 04:58AM
When did Aunt May attack Galactus?

Sorry, combat makes no sense in Marvel.

This is something that is handled better by many other RPGs. Hand waving and saying "it's comics and will never make sense" is a rediculous argument, especially when other systems handle this problem just fine.

Lastly, the statement on balance is another hand-waving argument that had no place. Just because two characters are out of balance is no reason there cannot be a game mechanic that covers combat consistently. Again, this has been handled over and over again by other systems.

EDIT: There is no reason a Thug with TY agility has the same change of hitting a brick wall as he does the Flash when the Flash is running at full speed. If you think this is an OK expectation from the system, then we have diametrically-opposed expectations for our RPG systems.

February 18, 2018 09:25AM
[/quote=barna10]
When did Aunt May attack Galactus? [/quote]

Sorry, that is a old reference from a Marvel-phile article in Dragon Magazine many, many years ago. So many years ago...*sigh*

[/quote=barna10]

This is something that is handled better by many other RPGs.[/quote]

Then play it. Whatever makes your game session happy, you go with it. I disagree with your assement of MSH combat rules, but if you are not happy then don’t do it.

[/quote=barna10]
EDIT: There is no reason a Thug with TY agility has the same change of hitting a brick wall as he does the Flash when the Flash is running at full speed. If you think this is an OK expectation from the system, then we have diametrically-opposed expectations for our RPG systems.[/quote]

Ok, I have stop you there. That is a pile BS. First off, punching a wall is a automatic feat. Breaking the wall is a whole lot more complicated. Second, the TY thug is is not going to hit the Flash because he is not even going to take a swing. How do I know this? Because you just st told me that the Flash is moving. So the Flash is going to be 3+ areas way at the start of the round. So unless thugs like to swing at open air, hoping that a speedster runs into their fists, then the thug is not even going to take a swing. If the Flash is just standing there, then the player sucks RPing a speedster and should look into playing the Thing instead.
February 18, 2018 10:36AM
davidrpaige
barna10

This is something that is handled better by many other RPGs.

Then play it. Whatever makes your game session happy, you go with it. I disagree with your assement of MSH combat rules, but if you are not happy then don’t do it.

Then why try and add a stat to the system? If you're not happy with Marvel not including a stat like say...Charisma, then go play a system that includes the rules you want! Right? Or maybe...you hypothesize about how to make the system work for you.

davidrpaige
barna10
EDIT: There is no reason a Thug with TY agility has the same change of hitting a brick wall as he does the Flash when the Flash is running at full speed. If you think this is an OK expectation from the system, then we have diametrically-opposed expectations for our RPG systems.

Ok, I have stop you there. That is a pile BS. First off, punching a wall is a automatic feat. Breaking the wall is a whole lot more complicated. Second, the TY thug is is not going to hit the Flash because he is not even going to take a swing. How do I know this? Because you just st told me that the Flash is moving. So the Flash is going to be 3+ areas way at the start of the round. So unless thugs like to swing at open air, hoping that a speedster runs into their fists, then the thug is not even going to take a swing. If the Flash is just standing there, then the player sucks RPing a speedster and should look into playing the Thing instead.

The only BS is a lack of reading comprehension. I used Ability to try and make it clear the thug isn't punching anyone....apperently that sailed way over head level. And yes this could happen as the thug could be a sniper the Flash is 100% unaware of. Or this could be a moving car the sniper is trying to hit versus one that is sitting still...same chance to hit both. Hitting a moving target in real life is HARD, but apparently simple in the Marvel world.

February 18, 2018 12:36PM
I have a LOT of RPG systems under my belt. MSHRPG and Chaosium's Basic Role Playing system may be the two greatest systems I've ever seen.

I've never encountered a RPG rule set that didn't have some kind of issues under the hood. Even the all powerful popularity of Dungeons and Dragons I often have to contribute to its brand recognition as opposed to its rules design.

FASERIP is great, it's simple and the rules play along at the pace that you can tell the story, it's great for action sequences because it keeps the game from being bogged down under a set of rules unlike say, Dungeons and Dragons where some of the rules just get ridiculous to resolve at times, also you never need to worry about a unnecessary abundance of math and dice rolling, all of which just slow the game down in my opinion.

Again Charisma is a redundant statistic, Players already possess Popularity and Role Playing. I never met anyone who ever needed a dice roll to see if they randomly like a person, personally, I think that is a mechanic that would eventually cause personality flaws and quirks in a PC or NPC as sooner or later the dice would indicate a result that goes against the character's behavior.

I think using Popularity is inherently superior to any kind of Charisma statistic that could be created or written for the game. Charisma should be reflective of a character's Role Playing ability and actions, not of a random dice roll. Cause and Effect, of actions and consequences eliminate the need for a Charisma statistic and lead to a logical progression of your game and character interactions.

February 19, 2018 03:10PM
barna10
You are correct, and you are wrong. Correct in that the TY thug should not have the same chance to hit a wall as he does a speedster, but incorrect that the game doesn't already take this into account. Look at combat modifiers... if a target is moving at 10 areas per turn or greater, the attacker is at -4CS to hit. The Lightning Speed power allows a speedster to move at their maximum speed within one turn (no acceleration, just boom: max speed). As such, I would allow this penalty to be applied to speedsters with Lightning Speed even if they are standing still (presuming they are aware of the attacker) because of increased reaction time allowing them to instantly move so fast.

February 20, 2018 02:44AM
Thrudjelmer
barna10
You are correct, and you are wrong. Correct in that the TY thug should not have the same chance to hit a wall as he does a speedster, but incorrect that the game doesn't already take this into account. Look at combat modifiers... if a target is moving at 10 areas per turn or greater, the attacker is at -4CS to hit. The Lightning Speed power allows a speedster to move at their maximum speed within one turn (no acceleration, just boom: max speed). As such, I would allow this penalty to be applied to speedsters with Lightning Speed even if they are standing still (presuming they are aware of the attacker) because of increased reaction time allowing them to instantly move so fast.

Good call on the penalty, but this still means the Thug has a minimum of 34% chance to hit someone moving faster than 10 areas per turn (or 100 areas per turn....) Not bad odds at all, for the shooter.

February 20, 2018 11:51AM
barna10
Good call on the penalty, but this still means the Thug has a minimum of 34% chance to hit someone moving faster than 10 areas per turn (or 100 areas per turn....) Not bad odds at all, for the shooter.

Something I like to do as a house rule when penalties bring a FEAT to Shift-0 but still have more penalty left over is for each column shift below Shift-0, reduce the color result of the FEAT roll by one. For example, the Typical shooter with a -4CS penalty would only need 3 column shifts to get to zero, then if a Red FEAT is rolled it becomes a Yellow, and if a Yellow was rolled that's just a Green. A Green FEAT result counts as a white. Now that Typical shooter has a 6% chance of success.

February 20, 2018 12:47PM
Thrudjelmer
Something I like to do as a house rule when penalties bring a FEAT to Shift-0 but still have more penalty left over is for each column shift below Shift-0, reduce the color result of the FEAT roll by one. For example, the Typical shooter with a -4CS penalty would only need 3 column shifts to get to zero, then if a Red FEAT is rolled it becomes a Yellow, and if a Yellow was rolled that's just a Green. A Green FEAT result counts as a white. Now that Typical shooter has a 6% chance of success.

That's a great way to handle the speed issue.

That still leaves the Cap vs anybody issue. Cap in a fight against a few thugs is a race against time before they whittle him down to nothing. I believe he should be able to parry, throw, coutner punch, etc. all day versus people of lower combat ability. He shouldn't even take damage in such a fight, IMO.

February 20, 2018 02:11PM
The other factors you are not taking into account is the situational factors. Let's make an example of using a speedster. We'll take a slower one (because the Flash is WAAAAY too OP, even in the comics. I'll get into what happens when a mass come to 10% of light speed, let alone at light speed), we'll use Speed Demon. Speed Demon is probably a better representation of starting or mid-level PC speedsters would be. Just incase you don't have his stats handy:

Speed Demon
James Sanders
F: GD (10)
A: MN (75)
S: EX (20)
E: RM (30)
R: GD (10)
I: TY (6)
P: TY (6)

Health: 135
Resources: GD (10)
Popularity: -10

Powers:
Lighting Speed: UN (100) Rank - 150 mph, 10 areas per round
Established Power stunts:
  • Running in circle within 1 area creating MN (75) cyclone that can Stun or Slam anyone it affects
  • Circling an opponent at high spped, he can strike 3 blows per round, gaining a +2CS on damage and Stunning Intensity. Treat any Slam results as Stuns.
Protected Vision: wears goggles that protect eyes. GD (10) protection against anti-visual attacks.

Talents: Chemist

Let's say in our example there are 3 thugs (F:Gd, A: Ty, S: Ty, E: Ty, R: Pr, I: Pr, P: Pr), 2 with guns (Damage 6, Material Poor, 6 shots) and one with a crowbar (material strength EX) (they were breaking into an ATM on the street at a bank branch). The thugs start out near each other, in the same area, where the one with the crowbar is working on the ATM and the other 2 with guns are on the look out.

So Speed Demon can run 10 areas a round. Chances are, Speed Demon was running by when he came across this robbery. Seeing an easy chance for a quick buck, he decides to rob the robbers. First round is Speed Demon running past the robbers and circling a few times to get a lay of the land. Speed Demon ends his turn behind an obstruction, let's say a car or van parked on the street, at 3 areas away from the thugs.

Next round the thugs are aware they have company because something just blew by them. The two gun toting thugs are looking for what just whizzed past them, still not seeing anything (Speed Demon is behind an obstruction and failed a PR intuition check). The thug with the crowbar is still working on the ATM, still not aware something is happening. Speed Demon makes a run at the thugs, planning on dealing with the guns first. Time to roll initiative.

Speed Demon has Intuition of TY, so no bonus, but uses his Lightning Speed at UN in place of Intuition, so he gets a +6 as a modifier. The 2 gun thugs are PR so they get no modifier. The Gun Thugs will have a -2CS to shoot at Speed Demon because of his speed (moving 5 areas a round speed), resulting in rolling on the Fe column. The crowbar thug is on the ATM and is not part of the action just yet. Rolls are (actually rolling):
  1. Speed Demon gets a 10 (roll of 4 +6 modifer)
  2. Gun Thug 1 gets an 8 (roll of 8 +0 modifer)
  3. Gun Thug 2 gets a 5 (roll of 5 +0 modifer)

Speed Demon has the drop on them. He plans on an attack so his movement is halved, moving 5 areas a round. He positions himself between the 2 gun thugs and runs in a circle creating a MN cyclone. The thugs' actions are interrupted and all three have to make a Stun? check against MN intensity.
  1. Gun Thug 1 rolls a 5, fails his Stun check
  2. Gun Thug 2 rolls a 84, gets a yellow result, he is not stunned
  3. Crowbar Thug rolls a 25, fails his Stun check
So Crowbar Thug gets slammed into the wall/ATM and is dazed (rolls 2 turns of stun) and Gun Thug 1 is disoriented by the buffering winds and trying to recover (rolls 5 turns of stun). The other Gun Thug is going to try and shoot Speed Demon (with -2CS penalty due to the speed of Speed Demon).

Initiative is rolled:
  • Speed Demon gets a 10 initiative (roll of 4 +6 mod)
  • Gun Thug 2 gets a 9 (roll of 9 and no mod)

Speed Demon gets the drop and speeds around Gun Thug 2 using his power stunt. He rolls a 64 on UN rank (Lightning Speed power rank) and hits the thug 3 times for 120 points of damage (Ex strength with +2CS is In (40) damage per blow, hit 3 times). Gun thug 2 goes down. One turn is removed from each of the other thugs' stun count.

Speed Demon decides to end this faster and decides to do multiple attacks. He goes for 3 attacks per round. He rolls against AM FEAT using his UN Lightning Speed power rank and rolls a 94. He is able to do the attacks. He decides to use 2 attacks on the remaining gun thug and one on the crowbar thug.

Since they are both stunned, Speed Demon gets automatic initiative. He rolls an attack on Gun Thug, then Crowbar Thug, and then Gun Thug again (doing those cool speedster zipping back and forth). He rolls: 80, 45, and 62. Since they were stunned, the Judge determines that hitting them is automatic, but the rolls are for any special results. The Gun thug takes 40 damage (2 hits with Ex blows) and the Crowbar thug is damaged but not out. The Crowbar thug is no longer stunned and moves towards Speed Demon.

Next turn, the thug is moving to where Speed Demon was, by Gun Thug 1, and Speed Demon decides to attack again using 3 attacks. Initiative is rolled:
  • Speed Demon has a 14 initiative (roll of 8 +6 mod)
  • Crowbar Thug has a roll of 4

Speed Demon gets to go first and FEAT check against AM to attack 3 times. He rolls a 55, a green result, and can attack 3 times. He rolls: 100, 15, and 84. Speed Demon gets a Red result, a Stun, but it doesn't matter. 2 of his attacks land and do damage and drops the Crowbar thug.

Speed Demon scoffs, grabs the money the thugs were stealing, and runs off.

/micdrop

― Oscar Wilde
February 20, 2018 04:07PM
barna10
Then why try and add a stat to the system? If you're not happy with Marvel not including a stat like say...Charisma, then go play a system that includes the rules you want! Right? Or maybe...you hypothesize about how to make the system work for you.

I'm suggesting an additional stat to help refine the mechanics, not trash it. Popularity in many situations, in my opinion, does not make sense or takes the place of a character's charismatic ability/potential. Players that are in disguise and can't use their Popularity all of a sudden can't persuade people? Secret Agents, who by their nature would not have a high popularity, hence the secret part of Secret Agent, have no way to charm or intimidate? I just feel that there should be a Charisma rank that can work together with, or in place of, Popularity. I'm not saying the rules/mechanics are broken, I'm suggesting a possible way to make it stronger.

You on the other hand are saying the MSH combat system is broken and makes no sense. You've said yourself that you have given up on the combat system. Your take on combat is completely different then my intention of adding another Primary stat.

― Oscar Wilde
February 20, 2018 06:33PM
Sorry, no. You are suggesting altering the game, as am I. Combat has been lacking for 30 years. The game has never been good for martial artist types.

The difference is I'm not arguing against you altering the game to your liking, but you seem offended at me suggesting a different change. Enjoy your game, I will enjoy mine. I am not offended you want to alter the game. Sorry I offended you.

February 21, 2018 05:05AM
Necromancer
Again Charisma is a redundant statistic, Players already possess Popularity and Role Playing. I never met anyone who ever needed a dice roll to see if they randomly like a person, personally, I think that is a mechanic that would eventually cause personality flaws and quirks in a PC or NPC as sooner or later the dice would indicate a result that goes against the character's behavior.

I think using Popularity is inherently superior to any kind of Charisma statistic that could be created or written for the game. Charisma should be reflective of a character's Role Playing ability and actions, not of a random dice roll. Cause and Effect, of actions and consequences eliminate the need for a Charisma statistic and lead to a logical progression of your game and character interactions.

So to play devil's advocate, do you believe that a player who is shy and lacks charisma in real life should be barred from playing an ultra charismatic social character? It's unfair to expect a player to be able to role-play a good social interaction if he or she doesn't have that skill in real life, just like it would be unfair to ask a player to role-play with accurate descriptions of what he's doing when using the Mechanics talent to fix a car when he's got no idea how to fix a car in real life. Or throw a punch. "No, no... tell me what kind of stance you're using and exactly how your body is pivoting when you throw that punch, and what's your other arm doing?"

February 21, 2018 05:29AM
Personally, I like the idea of a "Charisma" stat, but I would allow talents that gave bonuses to Popularity for this, just a simpler approach.

That being said, the only issue I have with davidrpaige's approach is his scale seems way off. It looked as if humans could have UN Charisma which I do not like. I don't like humans having stats above RM.

February 21, 2018 09:10AM
DorkLord
Necromancer

So to play devil's advocate, do you believe that a player who is shy and lacks charisma in real life should be barred from playing an ultra charismatic social character? It's unfair to expect a player to be able to role-play a good social interaction if he or she doesn't have that skill in real life, just like it would be unfair to ask a player to role-play with accurate descriptions of what he's doing when using the Mechanics talent to fix a car when he's got no idea how to fix a car in real life. Or throw a punch. "No, no... tell me what kind of stance you're using and exactly how your body is pivoting when you throw that punch, and what's your other arm doing?"

No I wouldn't bar he/she from playing such a character, nor would I penalize said character for it if they did not possess the ability themselves. I do find it interesting however, that some people seem to need tables and random rolls for everything. Beyond Popularity and role playing actions in game, what else could one really need.

February 21, 2018 11:49AM
Somehow the Charisma stat discussion bleed into this thread.

― Oscar Wilde
May 24, 2018 06:03AM
Thrudjelmer

I play with evade for each attack and it works out great. It gives combat more of a dramatic feel without bogging the game down. I would roll for the attack and tell the player the colour result before they roll for their evade. This way the player will have an idea whether or not they should spend more or less Karma on the evade roll... especially if the attacker gets a Red result. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 21
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.