The original Westworld, Mr. R.I.N.G., Six Million Dollar Man's enemy Robot etc.

The original Westworld, Mr. R.I.N.G., Six Million Dollar Man's enemy Robot etc.
December 02, 2018 12:20AM
There is a strong archetype in the 1970s robot character on television of the basically human or actor in a body stocking type android, with a strange weakness.

This weakness is that when in a fight or when tripping and falling over, their face falls off, to reveal previously silent beeping circuitry. Sometimes there are a pair of clearly false but realistic eyes poking out of the wiring and christmas lights, other times the underface is a mass of little transistors and circuit boards.

Has anyone written up this type of android?

If not anyone have any ideas to contribute?

I want to use them in a game but I thought I'd ask here before just writing them up.
I was going to make them fairly close to human power level since other than some of the television androids having superhuman strength, and a couple of them having huge leaping and jumping ability they don't seem much more powerful than a human.
1968 Model A Delos Robotics Android (humanoid robot)
December 13, 2018 10:45PM
F Ty (6)
A Ty (6)
S Gd (10)
E Ty (6)
R Ex (20)
I Fe (2)
P Fe (2)

Health: 28

Contacts:
Delos Corporation robotics engineers, cyberneticists and lab technicians. The 1968MA has an inbuilt radar receiver and radio receiver allowing it to be tracked from 120 miles away by compatible Delos technology or by correctly adjusted normal radar or radio tracking equipment (Yellow FEAT check to adjust such equipment)

The 1968 Model A ("1968MA") Android was created by the Delos Corporation as a department of defence project in 1962. After a disastrous series of experiments all government funding was cut off. Following this, Delos recouped its enormous expenditure by converting the androids for civilian use as adult playthings in a variety of adults-only theme park environments.

It should be clearly understand that the 1968MA Android is NOT incredibly superior to a human being. Without added armor or other powers this type of robotic humanoid is completely susceptible to extremes of temperature, gunfire, electrocution and so on.

1968MAs run on a hydrogen-lithium miniature battery. This is recharged by infrared spectrum photovoltaic cell absorption, usually during a "sleep" pattern in which the android imitates the inactivity of a human being when resting or asleep.

This is the oldest complete model of android encountered.

Known Powers

Robotic Body: "Class A: Equal To Human"
The 1968MA is capable of walking speed movement as if a human, is able to carry what a human can carry, operate machinery and vehicles as if a human, and can sit, stand, lie down and even perform more complex physical movement as though a human.

Self-Sustenance
Other than absorbing infra-red spectrum energy, 1968MA androids do not need food, water, sleep or air.

Talents

1968MAs rarely have more than one Talent and the Talent it is programmed with is almost always a servile, maintenance related or entertainment related one.

Limitations

Instant Kill: Drowning
Any immersion in water, or even forcing a 1968MA to drink some water, shorts them out and destroys all their operational abilities immediately. Sparks and smoke pour out of their face plate and through their eyes, nostrils and mouth. Joins at the wrists, waist and ankles will also smoke and spark.

Uncanny Valley
The 1968MA physically resembles a human being closely as long as it is not scrutinised for a duration longer than five minutes. After five minutes it becomes increasingly obvious (+1 CS per minute after five minutes on any Reason check or related Talent) to detect that the android is in fact "not human".

Physical contact with bare human flesh immediately provides obvious evidence that the android is not alive. Its rubber covering equivalent to skin is cool, it does not sweat, there is a faint but perceptible vibration or barely sub-audible (to normal human ears) hum, and the android does not blink except when a special subroutine causes it to do so when faking an emotion.

Emotionless
The Delos 1968MA is completely devoid of any genuine emotion and is not capable of convincingly faking any emotional response. If it smiles, there is no interconnected set of nonverbal cues - "the eyes don't smile" or "it's not a smile it's a grimace", and so on. This Emotionlessness extends to a complete lack of empathy, sympathy and understanding of the concepts of pain and suffering.

No Survival Instinct
1968MA models also have no urge to survive. If they fail a Reason check in a situation where there is a likelihood of their destruction, this means their logic circuits tell them they are doomed. This in turn means they simply stop doing any activity and await their extinction. If someone else is present who the android might listen to, this "giving up" behavior might be overriden, but only on the basis of a cogent logical argument. Any appeal to heroism or human values will be met with the response "I am not human" or "Irrelevant", etc.

Loose Face Plate
1968MA models, and many later models forked from them, are notorious for having loose face plates. When the android runs, it must make an Agility check for each minute of running. If it fails the check, its face falls off revealing the circuitry underneath. Also, when the android suffers more than half its Health in damage, cumulative or in one strike, its face plate automatically falls off.
R.I.N.G.
December 14, 2018 11:15AM
F Gd (10)
A Ty (6)
S Rm (30)
E Rm (30)
R Rm (30)
I Gd (10)
P Fe (2)

Health: 76

Contacts:
Professor Walker's widow; Carl Kolchak

R.I.N.G. (Robomatic Internalized Nerve Ganglia) is an attempt by Professor Avery Walker, working for DIA, DISC and DARPA, to improve on the basic Delos technology of the 1968M android.

As a test robot, R.I.N.G. has no human appearance, being a basically humanoid rubber-covered mechanism fitted with a flame-retardant brown body stocking. It has no face plate, leaving its facial circuitry exposed. R.I.N.G. crudely disguises this appearance using halloween masks, cosmetic undertaker's putty, hoods, and so on.
R.I.N.G. runs on a hydrogen-lithium miniature battery. This is recharged by infrared spectrum photovoltaic cell absorption, usually during a "sleep" pattern in which the android imitates the inactivity of a human being when resting or asleep. However R.I.N.G. can also recharge using a variety of short cables and plugs compatible with most normal electricity outlets available in the Americas and Europe.

Known Powers

Robotic Body
R.I.N.G. has a mechanical body with great strength, endurance and resistance to damage.

Resistances
R.I.N.G. has Good resistance to cold, heat, naked flame, acid, strong alkali (bleach), electrocution and falling damage.

Body Armor
R.I.N.G. has a tough outer casing providing Typical protection from physical attacks.

Self-Sustenance
Other than absorbing infra-red spectrum energy, R.I.N.G. does not need food, water, sleep or air.

Climbing (Rm)

Leaping (Rm)

Talents
R.I.N.G. has the Talents of Philosophy, Wrestling and Sculpting.

Limitations

Instant Kill: Drowning (but able to be resisted)*
Any immersion in water, or even forcing R.I.N.G. to drink some water, may short R.I.N.G. out and destroy it. *However due to its robust construction R.I.N.G. may attempt a Yellow result on Endurance to resist the effects of water and survive the effect to continue functioning normally. Every round of exposure to water R.I.N.G. must make this check to keep functioning.

Emotionless But Learning
R.I.N.G. is completely devoid of any genuine emotion and is not capable of convincingly faking any emotional response. However, the crude AI conferred on this android by Professor Walker dominates R.I.N.G.'s existence with an ever more complex set of responses, in effect evolving an emotional nature. This evolution causes R.I.N.G. to constantly seek more literature and philosophical input. When encountered R.I.N.G. may be early on in this process, and therefore a more sinister and dangerous entity, or further along in the process in which case R.I.N.G. is still very dangerous with little self control but with a much greater chance of being able to be emotionally influenced or persuaded.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 26
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.