"the" list of FASERIP characters

"the" list of FASERIP characters
January 25, 2019 11:54PM
There was a brief discussion the other day about creating a "Monster Manual" folder and sheet style system for ALL the FASERIP character writeups.

I am going ahead and creating a webpage for this purpose.

Using scripting the html of the page will simply list "all" the formatted files (PDF in this case) in the directory to which the files are uploaded. This list automatically updates as more are uploaded and is automatically alphabetical.

It won't take long for alpha and beta testing to end and then I will make it go live. I will also add a dedicated email account to which people can email their own PDFs for inclusion.

Because this is like the old physical ring binder folders where individual sheets can be added in the "right place" alphabetically the formatting must be:

STRICTLY one character, team or race per "sheet" ie per PDF file

STRICT nomenclature. This means "Captain America, current" "Captain America, golden age" "Captain America, Ultimates" and so on. It doesn't matter exactly what suffixes are used as long as there are no stupid, weird or arbitrary naming conventions used. Captain America is what the hero is called, not Cap, SteveRogers or anything else. Otherwise the listing function is completely useless because it also automatically acts as a means to simply search the html page for a hero, villain, race, item etc. by name.

Anyway, I am still scripting but it won't take long.

I suggest all admin, editing and adjudication be done on this website rather than having multiple permissions on the web hosting. It's trivial to replace files by upload.

If some of the heavy hitters of writeups with 1,000 or more potential sheets need it, I can confer on them FTP privileges for the listing directory. But I really want the PDF file names etc. to be transparent and logical. Skrulls should be listed as Skrulls, Eternals as Eternals, and so on.

The only other question is for example listing by name or listing by race. So for example Eternal, Gilgamesh: is that preferable to Gilgamesh, and it's just noted in his PDF that he is an Eternal then you search for "Eternal" and find the "Eternals" sheet in the list?

The main purpose is to create one, single level, simple searchable webpage with every possible sheet listed on it. No nested levels, no weird formatting, no multiple clickthroughs. The umpteen Batman sheets can be listed as Batman, Earth-1 Batman, vampiric, Batman, Brave and Bold version and so on.

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome.
Re: "the" list of FASERIP characters
January 26, 2019 01:57AM
Link to webpage:

FASERIP List of PDF sheets for characters, items, teams, races, etc.

No CSS or anything yet, and the plainer the better in my own opinion, but that can be changed easily.

As it is, all PDFs and only PDFs in the FASERIP directory will be listed, in strict alphabetical order. Each PDF is linked, so clicking on one opens it in whatever online or browser based PDF functionality you have. Likewise right click downloading is still enabled.

See what you think and let's discuss.

EDITED TO ADD:
If individual PDFs don't currently have their author's names, and if it is too onerous to add them in the PDFs, I will add a tag after the file name like "Skrulls author Sidious" or similar.
January 26, 2019 02:04AM
There are some PDFs on there now to click on as a demo. These are NOT the intended sheets that will be in the directory.

Priority is to writeups of Marvel characters, then other universes and other media.

When we're happy with the approach, I will add standard legals, links to other sites, etc.
January 26, 2019 02:35AM
I haven't set it to filter PDFs only yet, is there a preference for PDFs or shall I leave it to filter PDFs and HTML documents as well?
January 26, 2019 08:38AM
I’d prefer PDFs to be honest. Seems like it’s going to be a lot of work, BenReilly’s website has about fifty different versions of Spider-Man and his various suits as an example.
January 26, 2019 10:43AM
PDFs is what I am going with.
Ben Riely has really good work but the terrible color schemes make them unreadable, so for his sheets I am having to reformat each of them. It is a lot of work, but the whole point is to make a somewhat standardized "ring binder" in one place on one level rather than the immersive hunt and peck required currently. smiling smiley

Submissions (PDF sheets) to faserip@thesevensidedcube.com
January 26, 2019 02:35PM
I've identified approximately 3,700 sheets to add, of which many are in HTML format able to be directly converted to PDF with no ill effects. Unfortunately one large repository, Ben Riely's pages, contain significant numbers of pages where the color selection makes them impossible to read. Using those pages requires deletion of the style section and several pages of code and uploading of a separate image file to a directory, uploading of the corrected HTML file then online conversion, download of the resulting PDF then finally uploading of the PDF to the archive.

Nevertheless work has commenced and I will now just keep chipping away at it.
January 26, 2019 02:36PM
Anyone wanting to send in PDF files for inclusion please do so. Email to faserip@thesevensidedcube.com

www.faserip.com
January 27, 2019 12:54AM
Progress is being made, got a fair few entries listed now and a lot more on the way. I've found the least time consuming possible way to restore the Ben Riely sheets to readability where necessary and because they have to be edited in some cases I am also adding enough background detail so people who don't know the characters can roleplay them.

www.faserip.com
January 31, 2019 04:12PM
The archive has a lot of characters in it now, I am filling in remaining blanks and combing ever more obscure websites. Anyone is welcome to send PDF file character sheets, item sheets, weapons locker entries etc. for inclusion. Email to faserip@thesevensidedcube.com

www.faserip.com
February 16, 2019 01:37PM
The Real Time Traveller (R)
The archive has a lot of characters in it now, I am filling in remaining blanks and combing ever more obscure websites. Anyone is welcome to send PDF file character sheets, item sheets, weapons locker entries etc. for inclusion. Email to faserip@thesevensidedcube.com

What was that Pulp Marvel website you got The Shadow’s stats from?
February 17, 2019 10:38PM
[www.angelfire.com]

the link at the bottom of the PDF actually works, you can click straight through smiling smiley
March 26, 2019 07:29PM
Definitely let us know.
I have a few posted, feel free to add if desired.
May 02, 2019 02:35PM
Incredible (pun intended) and cool - Great work
I clicked on a few random persons
(I did notice Doom's reason was dropped to a 40? Did I miss something in the comics?)
Anyway keep up the great work ! I bookmarked the page and will use it often
Excelsior
December 19, 2019 11:31AM
Has the site gone down? I can’t seem to access any of the list.
January 22, 2020 07:50AM
Same here.
July 12, 2020 02:29AM
Sadly, it isn't on the way back machine either.
December 31, 2021 02:26AM
Yes, pdf not the best archive format idea, really.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 37
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.