What's out there for new characters as an Origin?

Posted by Nightmask 
Re: What's out there for new characters as an Origin?
July 13, 2010 08:28PM
Can't believe I left out the Vulture's flight harness and technology. The Vulturians actually stole the technology at one point as an origin so it's likely others could also acquire the technology to use for their own heroic or nefarious purposes. Gives flight and some modest FASE augmentation and no particular reason one would have to assume an animal motif like has been done so far. Plenty of other possibilities handy.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 15, 2010 04:30PM
Dr Strange being replaced as the top magic user could have allowed certain demons to escape various hells and limbos unnoticed and these demons could grant powers to people for various reasons
July 28, 2010 04:32PM
Just remembered that there's the android/artificial life-form creating technology of Beehive that was used to create Him/Adam Warlock and Paragon/Her/Kismet. Someone could exist without the more cosmic level power they possessed, perhaps as a weaker or defective product due to the salvage tech being damaged or perhaps the user not fully understanding how to make use of it. Or operate at those levels for a more powerful campaign or one more cosmic in scope.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 30, 2010 07:33PM
I've been known to play a free-willed Doombot; generally add up to be enjoyable characters, especially if first-time reactions are well played.
July 30, 2010 08:52PM
The Dr. Doom boxed set allowed for a free-willed Doom bot as a possible heroic NPC, and they did have one in the comics that I saw at one point although it was hijacked and forced to revert to its original killing programming resulting in its destruction. Generally do have a good set of offensive and defensive features and can operate all Doom technology, even if they lack the actual range of talents and genius of Doom.

-- Peter David

July 31, 2010 06:37AM
someone maybe fing old guardsman or mandroid armor
July 31, 2010 10:25AM
I've never seen the Mandroid armor as all that impressive, nor the Guardsman armor, although I suppose they could prove useful to a degree for a new character or at least for a new villain since the Mandroid armor at least is so large getting it around unseen and hiding it in general is very problematic. I guess their displays in the comics have been more inferior than the armors actually are, similar to how many villains look pathetic after a while because you can't really show them winning very often against the heroes.

-- Peter David

July 31, 2010 03:55PM
they wouldnt be good if your playing a game involving powerful characters, but if you were say a really smart teen or something and wanted something to modify and play as a street level hero or villian that could also possibly hang with midlevel characters then it would be perfect
August 02, 2010 07:40AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Dr. Doom boxed set allowed for a free-willed
> Doom bot as a possible heroic NPC, and they did
> have one in the comics that I saw at one point
> although it was hijacked and forced to revert to
> its original killing programming resulting in its
> destruction. Generally do have a good set of
> offensive and defensive features and can operate
> all Doom technology, even if they lack the actual
> range of talents and genius of Doom.

I'd forgotten about that (and I even own that set).
I generally make some minor mods in order to make it "my own".
August 02, 2010 11:29AM
Vrykolas2k Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Dr. Doom boxed set allowed for a free-willed
> > Doom bot as a possible heroic NPC, and they did
> > have one in the comics that I saw at one point
> > although it was hijacked and forced to revert to
> > its original killing programming resulting in its
> > destruction. Generally do have a good set of
> > offensive and defensive features and can operate
> > all Doom technology, even if they lack the actual
> > range of talents and genius of Doom.
>
>
> I'd forgotten about that (and I even own that set).
> I generally make some minor mods in order to make
> it "my own".

The Boxed set or the Doombot? winking smiley Most of them if you want to use in anywhere close to current canon require mods, some very hefty mods since a surprising number of the Gang Wars for example ended up becoming heroes with the Thunderbolts. Heck in the Avengers Boxed Set a number of the featured villains in its adventure scenario also became Thunderbolts and heroes (like Radioactive Man and Baron Zemo). Which is pretty funny when you think about it today, to have so many villains actually change sides when Status Quo Is God went on vacation with regards to them (too bad Moonstone's been subjected to it after we saw so much character development where she should have gone staunchly hero).

-- Peter David

August 02, 2010 03:11PM
Now I'm wondering what happened to that hammer Loki made for Storm to restore her powers and remake her as an Asgardian Goddess. It's presumably still around could it work for others or did Loki just key it to Storm alone? Would be interesting if someone picked up the hammer after it somehow survived the final Ragnarok and became powered up similar to how Storm was at the time.

-- Peter David

August 03, 2010 01:08PM
Gods having sex with mortals and creating demi gods or an interesting thought i had was Gods breeding with differnt races of Gods, that ould make for a very powerful characters Herc has always been shown to have a love of the ladies, and he has spent alot of time in Asgard whose to say he didnt have a child at some point with an Asgardian woman maybe even some one like the Enchantress, Loriel, Karnilla, or just some random Asgardian and out of fear of facing the wraith of Odin or Zeus the mother kept the child hidden on Earth. What could really make for an interesting character would be if Hela and Pluto had a child in secret during some of their dealings and for the same reason hid the child. The child of two death gods would surely have some awesome powers and be the heir of both underworlds Maybe the death gods would try to pit the child against one another in the hopes of taking out a rival death god and gaining control of the other realm. That could make for a very interesting high powered adventure
August 03, 2010 01:42PM
Well pre-OMD Spider-man had several encounters with Loki as a result of protecting one of Loki's children (a daughter) and Loki made it clear he had many children spread around the world over the centuries. Such demi-gods would prove possible (and as you note Hercules has a LOT Of women he's been 'friendly' with, as was recapped during the issue showing the efforts to liquidate his assets after his apparent death and all the many women he'd been supporting around the world).

-- Peter David

January 16, 2011 06:11PM
Just remembered another possible origin source to list in the mix. Tiger Shark was given his powers by a criminal scientist who used a device to imprint the genetic potential of a number of tiger sharks as well as Namor onto a normal human. This provided TS with the genetic potential of both Namor and that of the sharks plus their predatory instincts, since it was shown imprinting using a superhuman's genetics onto a normal human it could most likely be used to imprint other being's genetic templates onto a selected target. Similar to Doom's power transferal device minus the stealing the powers from the target a new hero or villain might come into being from this device with powers copied from from other animals or supers. Odds are the original device still exists for salvage and possibly the plans as well.

-- Peter David

January 17, 2011 09:50AM
Hmmm, there are also some Bruce Banner hidden bases still scattered around that haven't been found. From what I've seen the original Banner base complete with a gamma projector is around (although if you're holding to the comics I think it's currently occupied by Banner and his Hulk brigade, but still doesn't preclude it being a source of a new hero or villain during its unoccupied periods).

-- Peter David

January 17, 2011 12:32PM
the original X-Factor got taken to a planet filled with mutants. Earth isnt the only place in the Universe that the x-gene was placed, maybe a character could be a mutant alien. Could be fun to take a generic alien states and give them mutant powers
January 18, 2011 12:03AM
Check out Cadre K, the mutant Skrulls trained by Charles Xavier.

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
January 18, 2011 12:18AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> The Dr. Doom boxed set allowed for a free-willed
> Doom bot as a possible heroic NPC, and they did
> have one in the comics that I saw at one point
> although it was hijacked and forced to revert to
> its original killing programming resulting in its
> destruction. Generally do have a good set of
> offensive and defensive features and can operate
> all Doom technology, even if they lack the actual
> range of talents and genius of Doom.

I'll have to look that up later (going to work soon). I might need to include that in the Ultimate Origins Book.

Nightmask Wrote:
> Just remembered another possible origin source to
> list in the mix. Tiger Shark was given his powers
> by a criminal scientist who used a device to
> imprint the genetic potential of a number of tiger
> sharks as well as Namor onto a normal human. This
> provided TS with the genetic potential of both
> Namor and that of the sharks plus their predatory
> instincts, since it was shown imprinting using a
> superhuman's genetics onto a normal human it could
> most likely be used to imprint other being's
> genetic templates onto a selected target. Similar
> to Doom's power transferal device minus the
> stealing the powers from the target a new hero or
> villain might come into being from this device
> with powers copied from from other animals or
> supers. Odds are the original device still exists
> for salvage and possibly the plans as well.

Anyone want to toss together stats for this so I can add it to the book?

geekgirl Wrote:
> the original X-Factor got taken to a planet filled
> with mutants. Earth isnt the only place in the
> Universe that the x-gene was placed, maybe a
> character could be a mutant alien. Could be fun to
> take a generic alien states and give them mutant
> powers

Easy enough to take the base Alien stats from the Judge's Book and the use the Stat modification table (and do the powers random).

Edit - On second thought I am not going to include the Doom Bots. I don't really see enough there to make it a viable Origin.

Yay! I killed another thread with an invisible post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 06:19PM by majortomsawyer.
January 19, 2011 09:47AM
I could see old school Iron man tech still being around that was missed by Stark's crusade in Armor Wars.

A second buyer for example, or a spare copy of the info Spymaster stole. Or even just info on some remote server that was missed somewhere.
January 19, 2011 09:49AM
I could see old school Iron man tech still being around that was missed by Stark's crusade in Armor Wars.

A second buyer for example, or a spare copy of the info Spymaster stole. Or even just info on some remote server that was missed somewhere.

As for Mandroids being effective... Stark considered them dangerous enough that he had to take them out in armor wars.
January 19, 2011 09:50AM

It might give a hero just enough time to "prove" themselves to Tony before he comes by and takes their suit... think if it was a team game of pilfered Iron man gear and tony only thought some were worthy... the the others who lost their armours would need to find new origins. That'd be neat.

As for Mandroids being effective... Stark considered them dangerous enough that he had to take them out in armor wars.

Really, armour wars REALLY brings up a lot of questions about Civil War... but i freaking hate Civil War anyway because the whole idea was without logic considering the fact that government is routinely infiltrated by super villians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 09:54AM by Kasz216.
January 19, 2011 10:07AM
Kasz216 Wrote:
> I could see old school Iron man tech still being
> around that was missed by Stark's crusade in Armor
> Wars.
>
> A second buyer for example, or a spare copy of the
> info Spymaster stole. Or even just info on some
> remote server that was missed somewhere.

Well by the end of the Armor Wars Stark finally accepted that once the information was out there it was beyond his ability to retrieve it all (after all how does he get it out of the brains of all the people who've looked at it and have the intelligence to remember it? ) and that he'd just have to work hard to push his tech that much farther ahead to make it more obsolete and keep a tech edge over it.

> It might give a hero just enough time to "prove"
> themselves to Tony before he comes by and takes
> their suit... think if it was a team game of
> pilfered Iron man gear and tony only thought some
> were worthy... the the others who lost their
> armours would need to find new origins. That'd be
> neat.

Well it's not likely Stark would even know it was his tech anyway without a chance to at least eyeball it, especially if the way it was expressed was radically different from how he'd lay it out. Unless a GM wanted to give the player's character a headache having to deal with Stark there's not much reason the PC should have to deal with those problems. Of course something to remember the older tech if it doesn't have shielding can be destroyed by a negator pack. It's a one-shot-kill device that from the looks of the comics provides no save to resist.

> As for Mandroids being effective... Stark
> considered them dangerous enough that he had to
> take them out in armor wars.

Stark was targeting anything with his tech in it no matter how absurd. The Guardsmen suits used at he Vault for example that he gave the specs to the government for. Since the government had someplace to make them destroying the actual suits was pointless and seemed more as an example of how far into madness Stark was at that point.

> Really, armour wars REALLY brings up a lot of
> questions about Civil War... but i freaking hate
> Civil War anyway because the whole idea was
> without logic considering the fact that government
> is routinely infiltrated by super villians.

It was without logic in a lot of ways, once 'you don't have rights because you've got powers so we can do anything we want to you' became the government's attitude it was wallbanger after wallbanger.

-- Peter David

January 20, 2011 12:30PM
majortomsawyer Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> -----
> > The Dr. Doom boxed set allowed for a
> free-willed
> > Doom bot as a possible heroic NPC, and they did
> > have one in the comics that I saw at one point
> > although it was hijacked and forced to revert
> to
> > its original killing programming resulting in
> its
> > destruction. Generally do have a good set of
> > offensive and defensive features and can
> operate
> > all Doom technology, even if they lack the
> actual
> > range of talents and genius of Doom.
>
> I'll have to look that up later (going to work
> soon). I might need to include that in the
> Ultimate Origins Book.
>
> Nightmask Wrote:
> -----
> > Just remembered another possible origin source
> to
> > list in the mix. Tiger Shark was given his
> powers
> > by a criminal scientist who used a device to
> > imprint the genetic potential of a number of
> tiger
> > sharks as well as Namor onto a normal human.
> This
> > provided TS with the genetic potential of both
> > Namor and that of the sharks plus their
> predatory
> > instincts, since it was shown imprinting using
> a
> > superhuman's genetics onto a normal human it
> could
> > most likely be used to imprint other being's
> > genetic templates onto a selected target.
> Similar
> > to Doom's power transferal device minus the
> > stealing the powers from the target a new hero
> or
> > villain might come into being from this device
> > with powers copied from from other animals or
> > supers. Odds are the original device still
> exists
> > for salvage and possibly the plans as well.
>
> Anyone want to toss together stats for this so I
> can add it to the book?
>
> geekgirl Wrote:
> -----
> > the original X-Factor got taken to a planet
> filled
> > with mutants. Earth isnt the only place in the
> > Universe that the x-gene was placed, maybe a
> > character could be a mutant alien. Could be fun
> to
> > take a generic alien states and give them
> mutant
> > powers
>
> Easy enough to take the base Alien stats from the
> Judge's Book and the use the Stat modification
> table (and do the powers random).
>
> Edit - On second thought I am not going to include
> the Doom Bots. I don't really see enough there to
> make it a viable Origin.
>
> Yay! I killed another thread with an invisible
> post!

Humanshape Robot.
Easy enough.
Just pattern it after a Doombot.
I generally make mine look like the 2099 version, give it some logical Powers, then roll the ranks.
January 20, 2011 05:19PM
Vrykolas2k Wrote:
> Humanshape Robot.
> Easy enough.
> Just pattern it after a Doombot.
> I generally make mine look like the 2099 version,
> give it some logical Powers, then roll the ranks.

Considering how many Doombots have been seen or retconned into being over the years it's not that hard to see them as a possible origin, either because someone managed to find and salvage one or one went fully sentient and free-willed.

From looking at the old Hulk comics there's a powerful suit of robotic armor Banner built early on capable of ignoring heavy weapons fire and theoretically survive a nuclear blast. A spy stole it and used it against the Hulk and it proved indestructible by the Hulk at the power levels he had at the time so it was probably running modern Thing level stats, other than Agility which was apparently Feeble as it was extremely clumsy. The armor got dumped into a seemingly bottomless pit (pilot and all) by the Hulk and is likely still there. Plus the schematics for the armor likely still exist somewhere in the government's records like all those other experimental devices seen in the older comics when so many heroes were working for the military. Someone might find them and fix some of the problems (the prototype the spy was welded inside during the original test and couldn't get out and wasn't bright enough to realize if he couldn't get out he'd eventually die) and go on a rampage for a villain or set out to save the day for a hero.

-- Peter David

January 20, 2011 05:41PM
Hmmm, you know as frequently as Marvel's been bringing in alternate future children and divergent timeline children of current characters to get around the 'wait we slid the timescale so they haven't had kids yet' problem it's quite the valid origin anymore to just go 'I'm the future descendant of X' or 'X and Y'.

-- Peter David

January 21, 2011 07:13AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Hmmm, you know as frequently as Marvel's been
> bringing in alternate future children and
> divergent timeline children of current characters
> to get around the 'wait we slid the timescale so
> they haven't had kids yet' problem it's quite the
> valid origin anymore to just go 'I'm the future
> descendant of X' or 'X and Y'.

Ya, there's always that.
Easily covered by Breed Mutants, for the most part.
January 21, 2011 07:22AM
Vrykolas2k Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> -----
> > Hmmm, you know as frequently as Marvel's been
> > bringing in alternate future children and
> > divergent timeline children of current
> characters
> > to get around the 'wait we slid the timescale
> so
> > they haven't had kids yet' problem it's quite
> the
> > valid origin anymore to just go 'I'm the future
> > descendant of X' or 'X and Y'.
>
>
> Ya, there's always that.
> Easily covered by Breed Mutants, for the most
> part.

True but this thread was for creating characters that are more connected to the MU than the average randomly generated or sculpted character by tying their origin in with stuff that's already in existence in the MU, something that's fairly common in comics having new heroes or villains show up being linked in some fashion to previous heroes or villains. Much like Arnim Zola, Magneto, and the High Evolutionary all gained their fantastic genetics knowledge from Maelstrom's father which resulted in HE going on to create the New Men and Magneto both Alpha the Ultimate Mutant and the Savage Land Mutates and Zola not only Proteus (I think that was his name) and Dough Boy but much more recently Jolt, the young girl who joined the Thunderbolts.

-- Peter David

July 27, 2011 10:48PM
Just remembered something I don't believe got added to the list. The process that made Michael Morbius into The Living Vampire. While he killed everyone on the ship where he held the experiment (other than maybe his true love, I can't remember if she was on board or not) the ship so far as I know remained intact and he did not destroy either the machine, formula, or notes on his experiment to cure his blood disease. While it's not the most favorable transformation for those who enjoy the angst of 'how can I continue to live when I must kill and feed upon others to survive' having your character end up the next Living Vampire might be acceptable to some.

-- Peter David

July 29, 2011 12:53PM
If you read up on A.I.M and Hydra in the handbooks, you come to find there alot of ways to make an origin background.
I have used these background on former experiemnts placed in suspended animation.
I have used the hidden submarine base in another origin.

In essence, almost anything used in one of the Canon characters can be utilize for your own.

from super powered villains who genetically altered someone, to a lost hidden cache or base/lair.

Apocoalypse when he was doing the four horsemen, a failed experiement. (or was it?)
HIgh Evoluntionary experiments around the world and his hidden bases
Ultron experiemnets like he did with Jocasta is another way for those who like robots
Galactus himself with alien worlds he consume who made it onto his ship Taa 2 or his world ship before it was destroyed if you like such origins
Captain Universe set up is also another way.
Beyonder and the Secret Wars
Beyonder New Universe origin
And I am sure if you are really creative.... The Dreaming Celestial could be an option. Or the Celestial themselves.
Any Elder of the Universe could be as such, utilize as an origin as they were once obessed with cloning their race and failed to achieve perfection
October 20, 2011 10:30PM
Just came to mind that there are two alien cyborg power armor suits on Earth that may be possible origins for a character, either directly or indirectly. The Firefall and Starshine Galadorian Spaceknight armors. While the Firefall suit was damaged the Starshine suit was perfectly intact (after the original died Brandy was mystically merged with it rather than surgically, something later reversed). Both are quite powerful, the one channeling the living flame of Galador and the other the Living Light respectively.

There is also the leftover technology of the Dire Wraiths scattered around all over the place, and various experiments they'd enacted against the Space Knight Rom that could still be around gathering dust until someone stumbles across them, either to release some poor deluded soul (like the Human who was bonded to the Firefall armor) duped by the lies of the Dire Wraiths or accidentally end up changed by some abandoned equipment or suit up in some lost Dire Wraith anti-Space Knight superweapon.

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 19
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.