Mobius Strip?

Posted by barna10 
Mobius Strip?
July 28, 2023 04:26AM
In the Ultimate Powers Book (by Necromancer) there is a power - Mobius Strip

Ultimate Powers Book by Necromancer
M37/Mobius Strip**: The Mobius Strip or Mobius Loop, Mobius Band or Mobius is a surface with only one side (when embedded in three dimensional Euclidian space) and only one boundary. The Mobius Strip has the mathematical property of being unorientable. It can be realized as a rules surface. It’s discovery is attributed to Ferdinand Mobius in 1858. A hero who can perform the higher level of mathematics required to understand the Mobius Strip can use it to teleport through space and time anywhere with in the Omniverse, limited only by their
Power Rank. The hero may teleport to distant stars and worlds or even alternate dimensions or times. Powers which block Teleport are uneffective against the Mobius Strip. By holding hands, a user of the Mobius Strip may take along passengers with him through Euclidian spaces. A user of the Mobius Strip may also speak with the spirits of the dead and as a power stunt may eventually learn Zombie Animation.

Anyone have a clue where this came from? There's nothing for it in the SuperPowers wiki...

Re: Mobius Strip?
July 28, 2023 05:00PM
I have never head of such a power... Is there a hero that has anything like this?

I wonder if it isn't some kind of "trap entry," in case other people just wholesale copy Necromancer's work and try to pass it off as their own? Kind of like how cartographers put "trap streets" on their maps to catch copyright infringers.
July 29, 2023 10:16AM
Strange
August 03, 2023 07:44AM
It came in one of the later revisions of his UPB compilation/update works, and strangely that power is uncredited on Page 2 where other new powers and contributions are mentioned. Honestly, it seems like a glorified teleportation power that can get around effects that block teleportation... and I'm not really a fan of multiple versions of same or similar powers due to different mechanics.

For me, teleportation is teleportation regardless of whether a character dematerializes and rematerializes somewhere else, walks through a portal, moves between dimensions (like Nightcrawler), hops on the mobius strip, or just instantaneously appears at the desired location. It's all one power and the specifics of how it works should be worked out between player & judge.

But where this one gets weird is stating that the user of the power can also speak with the dead and possibly learn zombie animation... with no explanation for how a mobius strip accomplishes these things. If I had to hazard a guess as to the source of the power, I would lay it at the feet of the man who calls himself Necromancer... just because of the addition of the death & undeath sub-powers.

Other powers that he did credit himself for creating for that book include:
  • Enhanced Reflexes
  • Continuum Split
  • Omniversal Awareness
  • Mystic Energy Manipulation

Mobius strip teleportation seems to fit with that list.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
October 02, 2023 05:42PM
Thrudjelmer
It came in one of the later revisions of his UPB compilation/update works, and strangely that power is uncredited on Page 2 where other new powers and contributions are mentioned. Honestly, it seems like a glorified teleportation power that can get around effects that block teleportation... and I'm not really a fan of multiple versions of same or similar powers due to different mechanics.

For me, teleportation is teleportation regardless of whether a character dematerializes and rematerializes somewhere else, walks through a portal, moves between dimensions (like Nightcrawler), hops on the mobius strip, or just instantaneously appears at the desired location. It's all one power and the specifics of how it works should be worked out between player & judge.

But where this one gets weird is stating that the user of the power can also speak with the dead and possibly learn zombie animation... with no explanation for how a mobius strip accomplishes these things. If I had to hazard a guess as to the source of the power, I would lay it at the feet of the man who calls himself Necromancer... just because of the addition of the death & undeath sub-powers.

Other powers that he did credit himself for creating for that book include:
  • Enhanced Reflexes
  • Continuum Split
  • Omniversal Awareness
  • Mystic Energy Manipulation

Mobius strip teleportation seems to fit with that list.

I bet I know where this poswer came from. This sounds very much like abilities used by one of the protagonist’s of Brian Lumley’s Necroscope books. The character could speak to the dead, ask them to rise up and fight for him and learned from a dead philosopher/mathematician how to use the equation of the mobius strip to trace though space and even time.
October 17, 2023 08:45AM
nice find.
March 18, 2024 03:22PM
As a weeb the closest I ever know to such a power is when the girl JoJo from JoJo turned herself into a mobius strip to avoid being killed by the bad guy's gravity power.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 54
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.