Mr. Fantastic's stats. I think a change is needed

Posted by Taarna 
Re: Mr. Fantastic's stats. I think a change is needed
January 04, 2020 12:01PM
Nightmask
If things worked how you argue then Graviton would have Shift-Z Strength because he can use his powers to lift entire mountains and Molecule Man would have CL5000 Strength since HIS powers can move entire galaxies if he feels like it. Obviously that's absurd and so is Reed with Remarkable Agility or Excellent Strength.

I would argue that since they're exerting their willpower to control the powers that let them lift those things that the false argument would be for them to have Shift-Z and CL5000 Psyche, not Strength.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
January 05, 2020 02:57PM
Nightmask
That would be false. This case for example, Reed's Agility represents his natural agility WITHOUT his powers doing anything or substituting, and his natural agility is NOT Olympic class and has NEVER been shown being that exceptional. Reed makes power feats to dodge because his POWERS are doing the work NOT his agility, because he's not that agile.

Never?! I've uploaded scan after scan showing Reed's agility and quickness for which he has trained long hours increasing whether he was using his stretching or not. His powers don't just do the work for him; they make him into what he is. They've empowered his physical abilities.

Johnny Storm has Excellent agility. Is he an Olympic level athlete?

Nightmask
That's the kind of logic you see out of a conspiracy nut, when they go 'some conspiracies are real so this conspiracy must be real' when it's not.

So everyone who disagrees with you is a conspiracy nut?! Nobody here is accusing Marvel Comics or the game of the conspiracy of nerfing Reed Richards's abilities. There were a whole lot of characters to list within a limited amount of time so mistakes were made. These things happen.

Nightmask
If things worked how you argue then Graviton would have Shift-Z Strength because he can use his powers to lift entire mountains and Molecule Man would have CL5000 Strength since HIS powers can move entire galaxies if he feels like it. Obviously that's absurd and so is Reed with Remarkable Agility or Excellent Strength.

Graviton and Molecule Man use a form of telekinesis based on gravity and transmutation respectively. Neither of these guys physically picks things up the way Reed has done. Reed's stretching allows him to take hold of objects several yards away. If his elastic body had not increased his strength in some way, he would not have been able to take hold or pick up such heavy objects like the Thing or mechanical devices he has carried around without any kind of strain.
January 06, 2020 08:08AM
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask

I would argue that since they're exerting their willpower to control the powers that let them lift those things that the false argument would be for them to have Shift-Z and CL5000 Psyche, not Strength.

It applies just as well to the flawed argument we're getting that Reed should have ridiculously high stats for his Agility and Strength for things his powers are doing, particularly since Graviton isn't making a Psyche feat he's making a power feat just like Molecule Man would be. When the powers are what's doing it then claiming that they should have a stat increase to match is ridiculous in any case. It's not like Ben whose powers explicitly increase his Strength and Endurance while in his rocky form.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
January 08, 2020 05:34PM
I admit I have not played nearly enough MSH to be a good judge on this matter... But if I was the Judge here I'd allow him to use his power rank instead of his agility for certain dodge feats if applicable maybe at a reduced rank of -1 or -2 depending on what exactly he is trying to dodge.
January 08, 2020 07:52PM
Howlet
I admit I have not played nearly enough MSH to be a good judge on this matter... But if I was the Judge here I'd allow him to use his power rank instead of his agility for certain dodge feats if applicable maybe at a reduced rank of -1 or -2 depending on what exactly he is trying to dodge.

And you would not be wrong to do so. Mr. Fantastic has been seen stretching and bending his body to avoid attacks. I would allow him to do so at his full power rank because trying to hit someone who can move like this should be much harder than hitting even a normal person of Remarkable Agility.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
January 08, 2020 07:59PM
Nightmask
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask

It applies just as well to the flawed argument we're getting that Reed should have ridiculously high stats for his Agility and Strength for things his powers are doing, particularly since Graviton isn't making a Psyche feat he's making a power feat just like Molecule Man would be. When the powers are what's doing it then claiming that they should have a stat increase to match is ridiculous in any case.
I get that they aren't actually needing to make Psyche FEATs, just pointing out the powers they're using aren't something they're doing physically with their body like Reed Richards does with his; Graviton uses his powers by force of will, so it would make more sense (even though wrong) to assert his willpower (Psyche) must be as high as what his powers are capable of to effectively use them. Again, a blatantly wrong argument, but it's the same kind of wrong as saying someone who seems more agile because of how crazy they can bend and move their body would somehow give them a higher Agility rank.

May 04, 2020 01:54AM
Bump.

Distracting discourse smiling smiley
May 04, 2020 07:07AM
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask

It applies just as well to the flawed argument we're getting that Reed should have ridiculously high stats for his Agility and Strength for things his powers are doing, particularly since Graviton isn't making a Psyche feat he's making a power feat just like Molecule Man would be. When the powers are what's doing it then claiming that they should have a stat increase to match is ridiculous in any case.
I get that they aren't actually needing to make Psyche FEATs, just pointing out the powers they're using aren't something they're doing physically with their body like Reed Richards does with his; Graviton uses his powers by force of will, so it would make more sense (even though wrong) to assert his willpower (Psyche) must be as high as what his powers are capable of to effectively use them. Again, a blatantly wrong argument, but it's the same kind of wrong as saying someone who seems more agile because of how crazy they can bend and move their body would somehow give them a higher Agility rank.

When a power is part of a body, such as super strength its not a power stunt to me, rather part of the character's FASERIP.

I think Reed has Superhuman strength baked into his body at the Remarkable level.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
May 05, 2020 05:17AM
Taarna
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask

When a power is part of a body, such as super strength its not a power stunt to me, rather part of the character's FASERIP.

I think Reed has Superhuman strength baked into his body at the Remarkable level.

And that's where you fail in your argument, Reed doesn't have Super-strength, it's not part of him he's faking it with his powers. Since he's faking it it is inherently not part of his FASERIP. Doesn't matter whether someone's using tactile telekinesis to lift something, control over magnetism or like Reed using his elasticity to fake it it's still faking it it's not part of their Strength. You never see Reed moving anything super-heavy without using his powers to do it, he's never shown maintaining his normal physique in such cases he's always stretching or distorting his body in some fashion therefor it's not part of his Strength stat. ALL of Reed's write-ups and descriptions over the years have made it clear that he has normal human strength for someone of his build and does moderate exercise, that his powers are doing the work to fake anything higher. If you're faking it you don't have it.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 03, 2020 02:05PM
Thrudjelmer
Howlet

And you would not be wrong to do so. Mr. Fantastic has been seen stretching and bending his body to avoid attacks. I would allow him to do so at his full power rank because trying to hit someone who can move like this should be much harder than hitting even a normal person of Remarkable Agility.

100%. The agility or dodging displayed is probably at the incredible to amazing level.

"To defend: this is the pact. But when life loses its meaning and is taken for naught... then the pact is to avenge."
July 03, 2020 02:09PM
Nightmask
Taarna
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask

And that's where you fail in your argument, Reed doesn't have Super-strength, it's not part of him he's faking it with his powers. Since he's faking it it is inherently not part of his FASERIP. Doesn't matter whether someone's using tactile telekinesis to lift something, control over magnetism or like Reed using his elasticity to fake it it's still faking it it's not part of their Strength. You never see Reed moving anything super-heavy without using his powers to do it, he's never shown maintaining his normal physique in such cases he's always stretching or distorting his body in some fashion therefor it's not part of his Strength stat. ALL of Reed's write-ups and descriptions over the years have made it clear that he has normal human strength for someone of his build and does moderate exercise, that his powers are doing the work to fake anything higher. If you're faking it you don't have it.

I view strength like natural body armor if your power grants it to you.

But putting that aside for the moment, when using his powers what do you think Reed's strength level is? And wouldn't you say if he does have superhuman strength when using his powers, he should hit for more than typical damage?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 14
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.