The Earth-009 Campaign Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Wave Two Has Begun!
February 14, 2009 06:33PM
Thanks to all those who submitted characters for Wave Two.

I'll begin dealing with the character submissions for Wave Three in approximately two weeks.

For those who made it into Wave Two..... your Point of Entry posts are waiting for you. cool smiley

Game On!

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: Wave Two Has Begun!
February 15, 2009 10:04PM
Pick me!!!! hot smiley
The Third Wave
March 12, 2009 07:33PM
Prospective Players,

So here's the deal my friends: The competition for this round is ridiculous, and has prompted me to make the application process more comprehensive. That beings said, from this point forward, every applicant will be required to respond to at least one test post of my choosing. For this round, based on the difficulty I'm having choosing the recruits, only the applicants with the best response posts will be allowed in. How many will be accepted depends greatly on the quality of the posts received.

Whenever a new Player enters the Earth-009 game world, their character is greeted with a Point of Entry post, or POE. This post sets the tone for that character's first thread and the plots and subplots therein. What is provided in the following links are two POEs, each welcoming the character Swansong into the game. Her character sheet can be found in the original post of this thread, and I suggest that all those responding to the posts read her sheet thoroughly, as she's your character for these test posts. In addition, I ask that you review the Policy and Stylebook, as it will aid you with the proper posting structure involved, and prepare you for game start in the event that you and your character are accepted into the fold.

Good luck:

Swansong: Fravashi

Swansong: Devil May Fly

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: The Third Wave
March 12, 2009 09:01PM
Intriguing idea.

Swansong, DSk style smiling smiley

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
March 12, 2009 09:05PM
Enjoy my friend. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. grinning smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
March 12, 2009 09:37PM
Fravashi won't download. Guess I'll fly smiling smiley

March 12, 2009 10:09PM
Actually, this test involves both posts... so I'll get it working right away.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
March 12, 2009 10:47PM
Strange... it's working fine for me, and for Carlos. Hmmm....

Try it again please. cool smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
March 12, 2009 11:18PM
The Last Duskblade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Strange... it's working fine for me, and for
> Carlos. Hmmm....

I downloaded it, too, and it worked fine.
March 13, 2009 05:10PM
I guess too many people were trying to DL it when I was. I got it now.

Re: The Earth-009 Campaign Thread
March 13, 2009 05:31PM
Um... so it's clear, we're to submit response posts to both Swansong POEs?

March 13, 2009 06:32PM
Dead Sidekick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Um... so it's clear, we're to submit response posts to both Swansong POEs?

I think you only have to pick one to respond to for it, DS
March 13, 2009 08:07PM
Oh, duh.

I thought we were trying out to play Swansong. winking smiley

Do we get extra credit if we respond to both anyway, to show our eagerness to play?

March 13, 2009 08:34PM
Dead Sidekick,

> Oh, duh.

Yeah, if you like one more than the other, feel free to just respond to that one. Both would be cool however, since they are markedly different in tone and style.

> I thought we were trying out to play Swansong. winking smiley

Nope. Just a test post to check out what you bring as a Player. I thought using one character for the test would be more interesting that each person playing their own character. Although, you are of course free to play her however you want.

> Do we get extra credit if we respond to both
> anyway, to show our eagerness to play?

Extra credit?: No. Although I've been told this is akin to a college essay, so perhaps you should get some.

Show eagerness to play?: Yes. tongue sticking out smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2009 09:13PM by The Last Duskblade.
POE Glee!
March 14, 2009 10:41PM
Friends,

So I've received the first of the POE responses, and I must say, they are even better than I hoped. That being said, if any of you who have not submitted your Swansong response yet are having trouble, feel free to contact me via e-mail or Private Message and I'll answer any questions I can for you. Hope you're enjoying this new element of the submission process. grinning smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Re: POE Glee!
March 17, 2009 10:44AM
Sent mine in, hope you like them. I'll admit those were challenging senarios. This will sepperate the men from the boys when it comes to the RPing I should think. Looking forward to seeing what you think (and praying I finally make the cut).
Re: POE Glee!
March 18, 2009 01:05AM
Men from the boys, heh. I almost never ever play a female character (I'm not a good female impersonator...) but I really ran with Swansong in my POE response.

I hope to meet her in game smiling smiley

Submission Deadline (April 1st Entry)
March 18, 2009 11:28AM
Potential Players,

All POE responses are due back on the 20th of this month. That'll give Carlos enough time to prepare everyone for the April 1st game start.

Thank you.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
The Good, The Bad, and The Marvelous!
March 22, 2009 06:47PM
Friends,

I've got to be honest, this 'wave' was the most difficult to manage vetting by far. There were a number of Players involved who not only have awesome role-playing skill, but who also represent some of my closest friends on this website. Three Players have been accepted, even though there was closer to seven or eight who were a great fit, this combination of Players struck me as well balanced and complimentary. The factors I chose Players on were as before, but this time included the writing sample, which turned out to be a very helpful tool.

Once again, I'm announcing three types of news:

The Good: I've sent out acceptance e-mails to the Players chosen for this entry. Those who received a welcome message from me should respond quickly with the provided materials, as game start will be upon us shortly. Have fun!

The Bad: If you have not been graced with a welcome message from me, you and your character have not been chosen for the April 1st wave.

The Marvelous: The next entry point for this campaign is on May 15th, 2009. For those who submitted a character for any of the prior entry points, and were not accepted, you may consider your character already submitted for the fourth wave. However, I suggest contacting me again, if only to make a point of your continued interest in the campaign. You may also use this time to further polish your character, or change your submission altogether.

Thank you again for your endless enthusiasm for Carlos' creation, as well as your own. It's proving to make Earth-009 an awesome game experience.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
March 29, 2009 03:27PM
Hi, just read the Gaming Policy and Stylebook, Sample Character Proposal and Creation Rules, v3.1...Sounds GREAT.
I will e-mail you with some questions on a character concept.
Again Coolgrinning smiley
March 30, 2009 07:35PM
Well everyone, since I'm tired of leaving you all in the dark, I'm going to shed some light on the Mysterious Earth-009 campaign. I'm going to be making one of these reports every now and then as a vague brush up on what's been happening. Enjoy.

Elysium City Report

The city is a dream achieved. The next step in our evolution as both a culture and a species is here. From all over the country, maybe even all over the world, people marvel at the magnificence that is Elysium City. On January, 1st, 2009, the city opened and very soon after that, humans, and Metahumans alike flooded in, looking to make the revolutionary haven, their new home. Within the boundaries of the city, lives begin again, bonds are forged, and in a city, whose population is made up of mostly meta-humans and other things of the like, there is bound to be something stirring on the streets.

Join with us, as we observe the lives of:
A former gang member,
A man part of a mutant terrorist organization,
An aspiring tattoo artist,
A strange teenaged doctor,
A gifted biochemist
A very unhealthy college dropout
A little girl nicknamed: Crunch
And more to come

Their paths seem unconnected, but in the end, their souls are all linked.
This is, Earth-009.

First Report: March, 8 - 15, 2009.

Josiah and Roane: Having both driven haphazardly on the icy roads of Elysium, the paths of Roane Thomas and Josiah crossed briefly in the walls of The General Hospital in the Lowtown district. Though their interaction was limited, it was obvious by the circumstances of the encounter that this wouldn’t be the last time they saw each other. Meanwhile, Roane left with the beautiful nurse, Kerri to begin his new life as a healer in Elysium General, while Josiah waits to see Detective Sculluzo, while conversing with the exotic Ms. Fireheart and the mysterious Lindsey in the lobby.

Roane having left Kerri, met his employer, Doctor Kronwall, and talked with him about his life in the hospital. Then, he was given the grand tour. Or at least, he would have been given the tour, had he not been called into action. He'd seen a patient dying in the operation room and acted quickly. Using his power, he saved the patient’s life, and effectively made himself known amongst some of the staff. Coincidentally, the patient that Roane healed turned out to none other than Sculluzo himself.

Josiah, meanwhile, goes to visit a man named Olivier, who has been recently healed. However, Olivier is concerned about his father’s reactions and response to his hero activity. Then Lindsay takes Olivier home, while Josiah looks in on the recently healed Sculluzo.

Gwen : Detective Sculluzo was seriously wounded and poor Gwen doesn’t know what to do. She accidentally injured the man, but only because her enemy made her do so. Gwen, with her powers, acted as a beacon for the ambulances to come and pick up Sculluzo and take him to Elysium general, where he now rests. Meanwhile, Gwen tried to pursue the armored man who attacked her and poor Sculluzo. To her disappointment however, the man seemed to have teleported away in a blaze of fire. Upon returning to place where the police and medics retrieved Sculluzo, Gwen was reunited with her cat, Cinders, who was being kept safe by Sculluzo. Now she heads to Elysium General, to see her mother and Sculluzo and to set off on her new life in Elysium.

Garnell : In an effort to repent for his life prior to arriving in the City, Majyk assisted a man by the name of Alec Voight, set up local gang leaders in Elysium, in order to bring them to justice via true prosecution. Most recently, he’d met and had dinner with a Mafioso by the name of Bugetti. During this dinner meeting, Garnell’s alter ego “Vic” surfaced. He excused himself temporarily from that meeting, to the restroom in order to converse with his alter ego. His former self. He received a strange pep talk from himself, and hints that he was to seduce the Restaurant Hostess, Mia. Then she would become his eyes and ears concerning the gang leaders. So, he did, and then he finished dinner and now is getting ready to go back to his office in the G. Lucas Firm.

Rafi : The aspiring tattoo artist is just beginning his life in Elysium city. His first night in the city was spent sleeping his new and expectantly empty flat above the tattoo parlor he now owns. The next morning, three members of a gang called the Playboyz came to his parlor to ask for tattoos, and ended up deciding to help Rafi Furnish his new flat and shop. Their first stop was an old Canadian furniture shop. There they met the Collector; the owner of the shop, and Rafi purchased new furnishings for his home. Meanwhile, using his special abilities, he was aiding Gwen against hostile forces in the form of a dragon. Soon after that, Rafi and the members of the Playboyz got directions from the shop keep to another store where Rafi could get the rest of the furniture he needed. In this shop, he met a mysterious girl who gave him an unusual relic. It was a tattoo machine of some kind, said to be used by the Celtic god Dagda, to create the ancient Celtic goddess, Morrigan. She bargained with Rafi for it, asking him to draw a design for it which he completed in the store. The gangstas however, didn’t notice the ordeal, having been under some kind of spell.

Mark : The boy is terminally ill. His days were said to be numbered, but he was strong. After he was diagnosed with an extremely deadly case of abdominal cancer, he was placed into hospice care so that he may live the last few months of his life in relative comfort. He however, refused to accept his life was going to end. He was spending long hours researching new therapies that grant him an extension to his within life span. Eventually he discovered an experimental procedure sponsored by a Roxxon International. He was tested to see if the experiment would be possible for him. Then, he was relocated to Elysium city, where he now takes regular treatments.

Mike : He and his wife Beth live a happy life in Elysium city. They have a wonderful relationship and in this most beautiful of cities, one wouldn't expect there to be an trouble about. However, as of late, Mike and Beth have found their lives shrouded in mysteries. His latest Mystery being spark by the discovery of a strange aluminum cylinder near his house filled with a strong, fish smelling substance inside. It's labeled C13. Mike, even with his scientific prowess, cannot discern the contents of the container. This leads then to head to the Voltaire Academy. On the way, they spot some of the strangeness’s of Elysium. This time in the form of construction workers filling in pot holes with "water" on the streets. They arrive at the academy to find it in ruins. Bombed out, all the windows shattered, the light of sirens casting an eerie tone. After asking around for answers, they find that the destruction was caused by a Giant-little girl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 07:39PM by Tavish.
March 30, 2009 08:23PM
Ok that was a thing of beauty right there! Makes my little update look weak. I feel like Im watching an old serial with the whole "Join us as we..." line. Two thumbs up man.thumbs upthumbs up
March 30, 2009 09:16PM
It's not perfect, but it's alright for a first try I think. The next ones will be more refined. Though the first part is going to be somewhat of a reoccurring theme. As more characters join, the top part will get longer and more detailed. So, yep, this is report number one. Thankies for the complement though, I really appreciate it.
March 30, 2009 09:51PM
It's a lot better than the little info we had before... grinning smiley

Keep it up grinning smiley

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
March 30, 2009 10:42PM
Very nice work indeed, Tavish. Looking forward to more as it unfolds and you get a chance to post it.
March 31, 2009 12:25AM
Great job, Tavish! I think you did a nice job capturing the spirit of the thing! grinning smiley

casl
April 05, 2009 07:19PM
I gotta get me one of those for my game, except due to ongoing temporal distortions, if all goes well nobody's going to remember much about what didn't happen.

winking smiley

April 07, 2009 09:00PM
DSk,

I suggest plying your players with a reward of bonus Karma in response for a thoughtful, well-written synopsis. It worked for me! grinning smiley

casl
April 09, 2009 02:14AM
Heh.

They're presently earning Karma faster than I can calculate.... Dang I got some awesome players....

April 09, 2009 01:51PM
WOW
Sounds fantastic. Nicely done.

"Dude"!...grinning smiley "Elysium City sounds like just the place for a little Parkour and Free Running".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 5
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.