What's out there for new characters as an Origin?

Posted by Nightmask 
Re: What's out there for new characters as an Origin?
January 12, 2016 07:49AM
Necromancer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That record would probably end up being sealed and
> handed to someone such as Project Pegasus or
> SHIELD. I can't imagine the fed would allow it to
> just stay in the local state courthouse. Than
> again, do the original groups like Project Pegasus
> still exist in Marvel? Now that I mention it, I
> can't seem to recall seeing them for awhile now.

Last time I saw Project Pegasus was in Quasar, while dealing with the original Squadron Supreme when they were trapped on 616 Earth. For which given it's nature now that you mention it someone working there could easily become empowered either accidentally or on purpose as was seen when Thomas Lightner in trying to use the Nth Projector parts smuggled in by the Deathlok Robot copy to reactivate his Blacksun powers instead turned himself into the Nth Man. So much technology and superhuman study and experimentation goes on there or did that in a campaign using a standard Marvel Earth setting could easily have both heroes and villains originate from there.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
January 12, 2016 10:04AM
Pseudo-Skrulls from the FF Compendium. Anybody who can't make a Typical rank shapeshifter work isn't paying attention and needs to abuse the Power Stunt rules more.

Cap's adamantium shield from "The Captain" storyline. Cap got his iconic shield back, and USAgent go the black, red, and silver "Captain" shield. What happened to the adamantium one Tony Stark made?!
January 13, 2016 08:43AM
The Enhancement spell from Realms of Magic is surprisingly interesting.

The Strikeforce: Morituri exists; it sounds like an upgunned version of the UCWF's Malus process, with MOAR POWER. Did anybody ever give Strikeforce: Morituri a writeup?

And if you need some assistance brainstorm, (WARNING: TVTropes Wil Eat Your Brain):
[tvtropes.org]
January 25, 2016 04:52PM
I had an Indians Jones like archaeologist that hunted the legendary and mythic items like a Viking helm of invisibility and a Medusa shield, etc.
Just need to do a bit of research into ancient cultures and their myths.
April 26, 2017 08:59PM
Can't tell if this was included or not, but making demonic pacts is an option (it's how Marvel created the brief super-hero team the Slingers after all). Satannish and Mephisto in particular love those kinds of deals.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 26, 2017 09:55PM
Nightmask
Can't tell if this was included or not, but making demonic pacts is an option (it's how Marvel created the brief super-hero team the Slingers after all). Satannish and Mephisto in particular love those kinds of deals.

My main had a deal with the forces of darkness in his early days (Thulsa Doom) and his Staff of Demons is actually an interdimensional pocket prison that houses an eldritch horror from beyond space and time that he has to commune with on occasion and provides some of his magical prowess.

One world of adventure is never enough.
July 22, 2017 03:38PM
Can't believe I didn't include the Controller's technology here. Between his psionic-powered exo-skeleton that provides him with movement and his mind control disks he's got some formidable technology available to him. A new villain (or hero) could improve upon that and end up quite a threat whichever side he was on.

There's also that hypo-disk of the Ringmaster from the Circus Of Crime, someone could acquire and upgrade that tech as well. Just because Ringmaster hasn't tried to in all this time means another couldn't.

-- Peter David

July 22, 2017 04:02PM
The scientists that empowered the Rhino are still around, they could create another super-powered tank like him or perhaps an improved version (since the comics are littered with 2.0 and up versions of heroes and villains created by such processes, as well as retconned prototype versions). So there could be a prototype version of Rhino around that could show up.

The Unicorn's technology is still around for someone to acquire (likely a Russian/Soviet Bloc character since they're its source). Same goes with the Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo technology.

Given Magneto's created or empowered several beings over the years someone could stumble across one of his abandoned labs and end up becoming empowered or releasing some prototype being Magneto never activated for some reason.

The Kree have been shown having several bases on Earth, someone could find one that was previously undiscovered or an existing one to gain Kree technology for an origin or become empowered by some Kree device.

Plenty of Deviant technology scattered around for someone to find or get empowered by, since Deviants love creating weapons and manipulating DNA trying to find a way to stabilize their own.

-- Peter David

September 19, 2017 03:55AM
From reading the old classic Thor comics recently a possibility of an alien god to exist is possible. The Doomsday Star (formerly known as Templeworld) was a dying world whose benevolent god gave its power to freely power its people and they were an enlightened utopia until an alien armada attacked. The god died creating a barrier around the world that destroyed the alien fleet so its people (who called themselves the Soul Survivors) set about somehow capturing the gods of other worlds to drain to power their world. Their last god was Odin before being defeated but they had the power to drain gods, store that power, and even manifest it in physical form. While much ends up destroyed there is the possibility one of the aliens or an alien that learned of them could use the technology to become a god themselves.

-- Peter David

September 26, 2017 02:10AM
Someone could have Battleworld as an Origin, since a suburb of Denver was part of it and brought back by Molecule Man one or more people could have had an empowering event due to what happened.

-- Peter David

October 08, 2017 05:40PM
While not necessarily something for an origin in Fantastic Four #51 an unnamed scientist develops a device that allowed one to completely copy someone else's abilities and appearance onto themselves. He used it to steal the form of the Thing planning to destroy the FF but ended up sacrificing his life to save Reed Richards. While he died an unknown and unnamed hero in the end his device (along with the subliminal thought device he used to subtly lure Ben to his home) remained fully intact and forgotten. It's possible someone could have found it, learned what it could do, and used it for heroic or nefarious purposes.

-- Peter David

October 12, 2017 07:26PM
The character could be an advanced android created by the Mad Thinker that managed to gain free will, perhaps one that is a copy of an existing character that altered its appearance enough to be different from the original and a new hero name.

-- Peter David

October 15, 2017 05:21PM
It would seem that the MU has actually experimented with cosmic ray bombs (as revealed in FF #203), someone could have powers from that or their child or grandchild might. Same with all the conventional atomic bomb testing, more than a few soldiers in RL and the comics were used as guinea pigs and exposed to radiation from bomb tests deliberately.

-- Peter David

October 28, 2017 12:44PM
So I've been wondering... since the Hyborian Age is officially part of the Marvel Universe, are there any leftover relics of magic power that might be buried deep or secreted away in some ancient collection that could possibly bestow super powers or be used as a tool for heroic deeds? I remember the Tiger Amulet of White Tiger being connected to some ancient deity and still being quite powerful in the modern age, so maybe there are some artifacts still connected to the Hyborian gods or at least holding some of their ancient power.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
October 28, 2017 01:10PM
Thrudjelmer
So I've been wondering... since the Hyborian Age is officially part of the Marvel Universe, are there any leftover relics of magic power that might be buried deep or secreted away in some ancient collection that could possibly bestow super powers or be used as a tool for heroic deeds? I remember the Tiger Amulet of White Tiger being connected to some ancient deity and still being quite powerful in the modern age, so maybe there are some artifacts still connected to the Hyborian gods or at least holding some of their ancient power.

Outside of the Conan-related what-ifs I can't remember much at all of the few Conan Marvel comics I've got but there's most likely something left behind, at least something associated with Mitra (and we know there are Set items around, including descendants of it and other primordial gods and demons). The same would hold for things from King Kull's age (who Spider-man actually met once). Conan's Atlantean sword might still remain, and we've seen Red Sonja return and possess Mary Jane at least twice if memory serves.

-- Peter David

October 28, 2017 02:04PM
Nightmask
and we've seen Red Sonja return and possess Mary Jane at least twice if memory serves.
Memory does serve. I was just re-reading the first time earlier today and it got me thinking. There was an ancient necklace with a wizard's essence in it that allowed the wizard to take over some poor sap. Red Sonja possessed Mary Jane to come fight the wizard, and in the end Spider-Man threw the necklace out into the ocean where he hoped it wouldn't be found again, but I think it may have and that's the second time Red Sonja came back to possess M.J.

Also, there was that time New York wasn't turned into a Hyborian era city with people on the inside not remembering the modern world. I forget how that all began, but it ended when Doctor Strange cast a spell to turn back time before the whole event occurred. But there are still ties to the ancient magic of that age beyond memory that could inadvertantly create a few supervillains and maybe a champion or two.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
October 28, 2017 02:19PM
Thrudjelmer
Nightmask
and we've seen Red Sonja return and possess Mary Jane at least twice if memory serves.
Memory does serve. I was just re-reading the first time earlier today and it got me thinking. There was an ancient necklace with a wizard's essence in it that allowed the wizard to take over some poor sap. Red Sonja possessed Mary Jane to come fight the wizard, and in the end Spider-Man threw the necklace out into the ocean where he hoped it wouldn't be found again, but I think it may have and that's the second time Red Sonja came back to possess M.J.

Also, there was that time New York wasn't turned into a Hyborian era city with people on the inside not remembering the modern world. I forget how that all began, but it ended when Doctor Strange cast a spell to turn back time before the whole event occurred. But there are still ties to the ancient magic of that age beyond memory that could inadvertantly create a few supervillains and maybe a champion or two.

That was the same wizard, Kulan Gath, from the necklace. It was found by a fisherman who resisted the mind control but was killed by a mugger who wasn't so fortunate. The magic used to make that never happen is what drew Nimrod to what was then Modern times as he promptly vaporized the mugger and rescued the fisherman and became friends with him and his family. I just haven't really read any of that intensely to know anything about the magic items of the time beyond a few gods like Crom (who was worse than Odin by just sitting around doing nothing useful), Mitra, and of course evil Set.

-- Peter David

November 11, 2017 10:37AM
The super-villain Victorius (a former AIM scientist) successfully recreated the Super-Soldier serum, he could potentially empower others the same way.

A scientist successfully created a serum to grant someone the same powers as Spider-Woman and everything I've seen so far shows that at least in the comics he's still alive and unbothered. The same scientist was called in to remove the mind-control brain mine that Fixer had implanted in Deathlok (the original's) brain when even Reed Richards couldn't remove it.

-- Peter David

June 01, 2018 04:22PM
Thrudjelmer

I did a origin based on the theme of Conan with the snake cult and discovering a lost temple, which bring about a Yaun ti. And while more of a villainous bent a new Serpent Society.
June 01, 2018 04:29PM
Also used Orion Sentinels from Dragon magazine #179, which I believe the file should be loaded to the site.
June 03, 2018 06:16AM
MajorSteel
I did a origin based on the theme of Conan with the snake cult and discovering a lost temple, which bring about a Yaun ti. And while more of a villainous bent a new Serpent Society.
I like it.

June 05, 2018 02:20PM
I've had several characters who discovered something that gave them power in one or another abandoned H.Y.D.R.A. base.
June 15, 2018 11:27AM
BGibbs666
I've had several characters who discovered something that gave them power in one or another abandoned H.Y.D.R.A. base.

Done this as well, an experiment put in a stasis pod, woke up to discover 40-60 years passed.
May 07, 2021 05:17AM
Horton Cells, the synthetic blood of the Human Torch

Horton Cells (H42N2C2O6) are synthetic replicas of human cells using plastic and carbon polymers, they duplicate the structures found in organic human cells. They were created by brilliant scientist Professor Phineas Horton. These cells can be grown in a culture, and are compatible with humans. The cells can activate latent mutant and Inhuman physiology. Even in small clusters, they are capable of generating and storing a remarkable amount of power:
  • Professor Horton used the cells to create the first android. However, when exposed to Oxygen the cells burst into flames. The android then became known as the Human Torch.
  • While traveling inside the Human Torch in miniaturized form, Ant-Man (Scott Lang) temporarily gained a version of the Torch's powers after coming in contact with one of the cells that power him.
  • The Pyronanos are nano-machine based artificial beings, which were created using cells secretly extracted from Jim Hammond.
  • Toro (Thomas Raymond)'s latent Inhuman physiology was exposed to Horton cells. The cells bonded to his nervous system and caused his powers to manifest as an exact duplicate of the Torch's.
  • Frankie Raye was also exposed to Horton Cells. But her step-father Professor Horton was able to hide the event from her. But when she came in contact with Johnny Storm, the second Human Torch, her powers activated.
  • Compound D, a mind control substance created by the Mad Thinker, is made from Horton cells.
  • A Nazi scientist replicated the Human Torch by creating the Firebrand Squadron.
  • The US government replicated the experiment creating Invader-1, a female version of the Human Torch nicknamed "Tara."

The Horton Cells in the Human Torch's blood are compatible with humans, making him a universal donor:
  • A blood transfusion from the Human Torch gave Spitfire (Lady Jacqueline Falsworth) her super-speed powers and prevented her conversion after being bitten by a vampire. A second transfusion decades later saved her life and restored her youth.
  • Hyena (Henry Mortonson) obtained a blood specimen and planned on an army of Nazi speedsters.
  • Warrior Woman (Julia Koenig) also received a blood transfusion that reversed her brain damage and restored her health and power.
  • Ultron reported he could taste life after consuming the Human Torch's blood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 20
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.