Re: Character Write-Up Request Thread
June 09, 2009 03:38AM
salvador Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My player is very weak in magnetism, she's
> building up to it. She was made a mutant with
> Xavier and Magneto's blood, so it's a long time
> over game build up thing.

Ahhh, like composite characters do you? My character Seraphim has the combined powers and genetic potential of the original X-men (including Xavier) as one of my favorite combo characters.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
June 09, 2009 03:39AM
COuldn't remember off-hand if he did or not. I always liked Mimic from the Exiles, I thought it was a cool take on him.
June 09, 2009 03:47AM
thejackolantern Wrote:
> COuldn't remember off-hand if he did or not. I
> always liked Mimic from the Exiles, I thought it
> was a cool take on him.

It was decent, but the writers held him back considerably given his potential before they apparently killed him off. He wouldn't touch powers he felt required practice or any degree of real work to learn to use, going after the simple ones and even when given opportunities to copy 'better' power templates (such as Spider-man's to replace the Beast's agility and gain a considerable array of bonuses superior to what Beast supplied) inexplicably choosing not to do so.

The 'half-power' limitation seemed a bit unnecessary as well, although I didn't mind his requiring a measure of time to fully acquire it otherwise his body would quickly lose the powers he attempted to copy because they hadn't time to 'set'. Kind of amusing though that my character Nightstalker when I thought about it I hadn't realized at first most of her power templates come from the same X-men Mimic settled on (Cyclops, Wolverine, and Colossus) as his idea of an 'ideal' power combination that seemed to favor resilience, strength, durability, and ranged attack.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
June 09, 2009 04:25AM
In case you want something official about mimic having the original 5 x-powers...

[marvel.com]

Nightmask Wrote:
> CapoCastillo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I believe the 616 Mimic has also established
> that
> > he has permanent access to the Original X-Men's
> > powerset as well.
>
> I can remember him displaying those powers in the
> reboot of Machine Man years ago, when he was
> restarted with Sentinel Technology (after being
> very ignominiously treated like trash to dispose
> of at a dump after his heroic sacrifice). I
> wasn't sure though if he had those permanently and
> could also copy new powers or what, since he
> wasn't automatically copying the other mutants in
> the area, like Sebastian Shaw. I think I
> preferred him more distinct from the Exiles
> version although I imagine at least some problems
> with him came from being able to stand in a spot
> like Genosha or the Morlock Tunnels before the
> genocide and gather up hundreds of power templates
> making him impossible to realistically defeat.
> That and a foolish move to make him more like the
> Exiles version in general because of his
> popularity, forgetting that it's Exiles Mimic's
> personality and heroic nature that makes him
> popular not his more limited Mimicing abilities.
June 09, 2009 04:53AM
CapoCastillo Wrote:
> In case you want something official about mimic
> having the original 5 x-powers...
>
> [marvel.com]
> n_Dossiers~colon~_Mimic

Hmmmm, so he's always got the original Five (although really should be six given he was around Xavier frequently as well) and can pick up others that come nearby. Definitely an improvement being able to always have some powers going no matter what and get some temp powers as the opportunity strikes.

-- Peter David

June 09, 2009 04:58AM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Ahhh, like composite characters do you? My
> character Seraphim has the combined powers and
> genetic potential of the original X-men (including
> Xavier) as one of my favorite combo characters.

Ya know, I never thought of that, but not really. Just the one character, Mimic was only there to help them realise magneto's been more than absent in the public. He's been missing. I'm going to do the 12, with the addition of Franklin Richard to help make it possible for the powers to funnel into Apocalypse.
June 17, 2009 12:56PM
Has anyone done characters from Venture Brothers? Personally, I think Brock Samson would make a kick a character. I'm actually working on a Brock.
June 22, 2009 09:07PM
Has anyone done a write up for Bomb Queen, and the various super heroes/villains that appeared in the series? If not (and sorry if this seems a bit odd/not related), how do you handle writing up a character?
June 24, 2009 07:55AM
Can anyone do a Birdman? (Yes as in the Hannah Barbara Birdman.)
June 24, 2009 10:56AM
I've never heard of bomb queen, but in writing up characters, I use the guidelines set out in the Adsvanced Rules Player's Book regarding character modelling. Then I try to find as much encyclopedia-like info on the character in questions, as well as contextual clues [Captain America said they were a better fighter than he, Colossus said that she wasn't nearly as strong as he was, etc.] and arrive at my models that way.

Yendor Wrote:
> Has anyone done a write up for Bomb Queen, and the
> various super heroes/villains that appeared in the
> series? If not (and sorry if this seems a bit
> odd/not related), how do you handle writing up a
> character?
June 25, 2009 10:36PM
I'm looking for stats on the typical Hand assassin. If anyone could point me to the right source book, I'll take that. thanks.
June 26, 2009 07:38AM
I'll do a Birdman sometime in the next week or so.
July 27, 2009 02:15AM
How about historical characters like Einstein or Tesla.
July 27, 2009 03:59AM
ajax plunkett Wrote:
> How about historical characters like Einstein or
> Tesla.

The second module for the Timewarp series (Wierd, Wierd West) has a short write-up on Einstein you can check out.

-- Peter David

August 06, 2009 10:41AM
Has anyone ever tackled statting the characters from Battle Chasers?

Dead Sidekick's Multiversal Table: [i540.photobucket.com]

My Canon Character Toybox: [www.classicmarvelforever.com]

The 126 Schools of Unarmed Ass-Whoopin': [www.classicmarvelforever.com]
August 13, 2009 08:22AM
Once I get out of work tonight I'm going to sit down and stat out Captain Planet. I was watching Nostalgia Critic's review of the show and remembered some of the crazy stuff Captain Planet would be get away with, but research is needed and I was wondering if anyone had input?
August 13, 2009 08:34AM
One thing that seemed pretty clear was that the rings of the Planeteers were nowhere near as powerful as when the Captain himself was formed. Also, exposure to pollution of nearly any stripe severely weakened him. Also, I don't think I ever saw the Captain utilize any of the 'Heart' powers.

BelleReeve Wrote:
> Once I get out of work tonight I'm going to sit
> down and stat out Captain Planet. I was watching
> Nostalgia Critic's review of the show and
> remembered some of the crazy stuff Captain Planet
> would be get away with, but research is needed and
> I was wondering if anyone had input?
August 13, 2009 04:37PM
CapoCastillo Wrote:
> One thing that seemed pretty clear was that the
> rings of the Planeteers were nowhere near as
> powerful as when the Captain himself was formed.
> Also, exposure to pollution of nearly any stripe
> severely weakened him. Also, I don't think I ever
> saw the Captain utilize any of the 'Heart'
> powers.

Mostly if the Captain used Heart it was more along the lines of 'isn't it nice how those dangerous wild animals are all nice and peaceful around me?' rather than being more explicit with it. The weakness of the rings might deal more with the immaturity on the part of the Planeteers as well as the writers having to show off the good Captain at least once an episode so the kids HAD to fail to fully exploit their powers. I mean seriously the power of Heart alone had the means to give one a touch of good that could change them (in the comics it nearly changed everyone to good during the Captain Pollution phase but Dr. Blight used her cloned evil ring of Hate to stop things before her allies fully succumbed to good).

His pollution weakness was variable to the degree it could harm him (due to the dramatic license having him sometimes more resistant other times super-susceptible). Also kind of ignored that some of the pollution he fell to is natural to a degree. Radiation is a natural part of the environment and yet he often proved way too vulnerable to it, as is environmental upheavals like deforestation due to wildfires (which helps clear out debris and for some forests is essential for renewal and the birth of new trees).

Fully empowered Captain Planet was pretty much a grab bag of powers, just about anything you could think of with his enjoying the enhanced gestalt effect on the 5 powers he was made up of. Transformations like Metamorpho, Weather Control, Plant Control and Growth, and so on. Difficult to rate the full range of what he could do when he was about like a GL Power Ring for variety.

-- Peter David

August 14, 2009 05:35AM
Along the Captain Planet talk; I've read that most of the powers he's exhibited were only used once and never seen or heard of again. I ran across several arguments weather or not he was a full fledged character or a Deus ex Machina.

Anyhow, I'm going to stick with the powers he uses every time for a base starting point and look into adding more powers as I move further.

I do like plant growth, weather manipulation, and elemental transformation like Metamorpho, flight and super strength. My memory conjures him using some sort of breath freezing attack, but that could easily fall under a weather manipulation or elemental transformation with a simple Power Feat.

Perhaps Captain Planet would be perfect for the 3 times use of a power before the FEAT is learned and no longer required?

Work has begun, slowly, but its started smiling smiley
August 15, 2009 01:17AM
BelleReeve Wrote:
> Along the Captain Planet talk; I've read that most
> of the powers he's exhibited were only used once
> and never seen or heard of again. I ran across
> several arguments weather or not he was a full
> fledged character or a Deus ex Machina.

He's always been a deus ex machina, quickly called up to fix things once they were way beyond the point the kids felt that they could handle things (yet probably could have with more experience and more faith in their individual powers). But that doesn't negate his also being a character with a full range of personality traits and in at least a few episodes when he was called early on he was trapped, unable to break up and forced to get along as a weak human and survive like anyone else.

> Anyhow, I'm going to stick with the powers he uses
> every time for a base starting point and look into
> adding more powers as I move further.
>
> I do like plant growth, weather manipulation, and
> elemental transformation like Metamorpho, flight
> and super strength. My memory conjures him using
> some sort of breath freezing attack, but that
> could easily fall under a weather manipulation or
> elemental transformation with a simple Power Feat.
>
>
> Perhaps Captain Planet would be perfect for the 3
> times use of a power before the FEAT is learned
> and no longer required?

Well we don't know how many adventures he has 'off camera' as it were, and he never seems to have problems calling up the stunts/powers he does show even if just the one time. As a gestalt being of sorts there's also a question about his karma, whether he takes that of the kids or has a fresh karma amount every time he's called up. Then again he tended to like to show off, perhaps some influence from Wheeler, so would likely at every opportunity look to show off his vast range of powers rather than use the same ones over and over again. Which given his possession of elemental mastery and his influence over the soul (power of Heart, clearly not just telepathy it reaches into the soul) a range of powers isn't something to be surprised about.

> Work has begun, slowly, but its started smiling smiley

Good to hear, look forward to seeing it posted.

-- Peter David

August 15, 2009 02:21PM
I'd love to see the rest of the Watchmen statted out.
August 15, 2009 09:02PM
You know I was just looking and you have "Big Barda" and mention Mister Miracle. But you don't have him. Could we please get a version of Mister MIracle.
August 15, 2009 09:18PM
Aramanthus Wrote:
> You know I was just looking and you have "Big
> Barda" and mention Mister Miracle. But you don't
> have him. Could we please get a version of Mister
> MIracle.

You know, he was probably one of the most unusual of the New Gods. He seemed to have no super-human attributes whatsoever other than the longevity of a New God. Even his ability to escape from any situation wasn't so much a super-power as superior training and his use of omni-gadgets designed to let him overcome any obstacle. I think they briefly gave him his New God powers then promptly had him sacrifice them for some reason (since Status Quo is the real god). Otherwise he was just a happy-go-lucky version of Batman when it came to being crazy prepared for any situation.

-- Peter David

August 16, 2009 05:17PM
Still you'd think important enough to have stats here on this site. He did have his own book several times. I mean Big Barda only recieved small parts compared to her husband Scott! Scott Free was always a cool character. I have to say one of my favorite DC characters. He falls behind Wildfire and Captain Atom. Those are my top three DC characters. Now do you see why Scott Free means a lot to me.
August 20, 2009 12:51PM
I've been wanting to write up stats for the characters in the videogame Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, but I'm very bad at making stats and power levels accurate. Any help would be appreciated.confuzed smiley
August 21, 2009 08:53AM
Sorry, never played it. but i tend to enjoy modelling video game characters.

AsthmaThug Wrote:
> I've been wanting to write up stats for the
> characters in the videogame Psi Ops: The Mindgate
> Conspiracy, but I'm very bad at making stats and
> power levels accurate. Any help would be
> appreciated.confuzed smiley
August 23, 2009 10:08AM
Well, I'll start a thread about it soon when I finish all of my first attempts at modeling the characters. I'd love your imput.
August 27, 2009 07:24AM
Has anyone got, done or seen the stats for the Marvel character, Lockdown? He was in Fantastic Four III #17 and Contest of Champions. He's sort of a pastiche of Batman.

'Shhh. My common sense is tingling'
August 27, 2009 07:42AM
never even heard of the guy...
August 28, 2009 05:26AM
Rats! That stinks. sad smiley

'Shhh. My common sense is tingling'

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 23
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.