Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....

Posted by DavidEMartin 
Re: Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....
December 10, 2011 10:42PM
Hello everyone I am new to this forum.

THANK_FOR_ALL
Re: Satsuke
December 11, 2011 08:13AM
Welcome to our odd little world and YOU_ARE_WELCOME.

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
December 23, 2011 06:45PM
i was wondering about something, i am currently trying to create a mutant who uses his mutant powers (hyper intelligence mainly) to create a suit of battle armor one piece at a time. as a mutant i "should" have more natural powers than otherwise, which is cool but if he did make the battle armor would he get the stat increases like a high tech with a battle suit? since his natural powers are his boosted intel, linguistics, and weapons tinkering (to make his suit) and the intended suit powers are currently forcefield and flight(powered by the forcefield) from the gauntlets i was hoping to get some FACE stat boosts to help him in the field.
January 16, 2012 09:29AM
Dear Dave (et al)
I still am confused with Hyper speed and true flight - if you combine them what speed table do you use? Where is the space speed table?
Ta
Gus
January 31, 2012 06:45AM
Speaking of speed, I want a villain who has some limited control over temporal forces to slow the heroes down so he can deal with them in a more managable fashion without having to resort to allies or henchmen. What would be the best way to handle him slowing down? Should I just treat him as having hyper-speed compared to everything around him?
February 03, 2012 10:05PM
If you could have any power from the Ultimate
February 07, 2012 04:26AM
Greetings. I posted a poll elsewere in this Discussion section as a topic, but I'd love to get your direct input if you get the chance.

Can Taskmaster copy someone with Ultimate Skill? Or is he only limited to a Monstrous rank and could only come close to copying someone with Ultimate Skill?

E.G. - a person with Ultimate Skill in Martial Arts B who's then copied by Taskmaster. Does Taskmaster now have Ultimate Skill: Martial Arts B?

Thank you,

Revengel
FTJ
February 10, 2012 11:49AM
Re-reading this thread, I thought I'd add a couple of questions, if Mr. Martin still reads this. smiling smiley

1) If you were going to run a MSH game today, what would be your preferred setting? (current or former Marel universe, What If universe of your very own, totally unreleated to Marvel, etc.)

2) And what would be your preferred theme? (crime fighting, magic, super-science/exploration, etc.)

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
February 11, 2012 02:08PM
hello im wanting to start a campaign what books and material should i start with thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 03:35AM by The_Skycutter.
Re: LordTrevaine
February 12, 2012 12:30PM
I still am confused with Hyper speed and true flight - if you combine them what speed table do you use?
Depending on what you and your GM decide, you could either use the higher rank as your True Flight airspeed or you could add the two ranks together to get your airspeed. It could make for interesting storytelling either way.

Where is the space speed table?
Space Speed, space speed..........
Trying to remember what I came up with but in the meantime, check out the Stardrive speeds of Table 1 of the ALIENS OF MARVEL netbook. Pick a range that would make sense for your character. Marvel netbook downloads

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2012 01:02PM by DavidEMartin.
Re: Guyver
February 12, 2012 12:37PM
You're going to want to download the Rules books, the UPC, the Marvelphiles, the Gamers Handbooks to the Marvel Universe... pretty much anything that looks useful. What the heck, it's free !
Supplemental Netbooks
Core books and compendiums

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: FTJ
February 12, 2012 12:46PM
1) If you were going to run a MSH game today, what would be your preferred setting? (current or former Marvel universe, What If universe of your very own, totally unrelated to Marvel, etc.)
Hmm, I'd probably try to run a period 1960s campaign stretching from JFK's Camelot to Nixon's Secret Empire. Keep everything in period "TransistorPunk" tech levels and sensibilities.

[i2) And what would be your preferred theme? (crime fighting, magic, super-science/exploration, etc.)][/i]
My hypothetical TransistorPunk campaign would be a cross between the FF's orientation on High Adventure and The Big Picture and the Avengers' emphasis on crimestopping. Use the day-to-day law enforcement to build background details that would feed The Big Picture. Say, the Fantastic Avengers start noticing common links between seemingly unrelated street criminals...

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: Revengel
February 12, 2012 12:49PM
Can Taskmaster copy someone with Ultimate Skill? Or is he only limited to a Monstrous rank and could only come close to copying someone with Ultimate Skill?

E.G. - a person with Ultimate Skill in Martial Arts B who's then copied by Taskmaster. Does Taskmaster now have Ultimate Skill: Martial Arts B?

Ever photocopy a photocopy?
Same idea.
Taskmaster or other similarly-powered characters can only duplicate another's abilities up to the limits of his own power rank.

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: Zeun4749
February 12, 2012 12:56PM
If you could have any power from the Ultimate
Teleportation might be fun but I'd stick to True Flight. I'd be less likely to snap an ankle teleporting a little too high into a target zone.

Hmm, just realized how I could get away with this-- a backpack that folds out into a seemingly-practical hangglider. In fact the hangglider would be a useless prop. That way the inevitable YouTube videos would be titles things like "Hangglider soaring over Downtown Milwaukee" instead of "FLYING MAN over Milwaukee !"

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2012 03:34AM by The_Skycutter.
February 13, 2012 07:38AM
Thank you David big help still trying to get to grips with it all but should be up and running soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 04:02PM by The_Skycutter.
Re: Revengel
February 13, 2012 10:07AM
DavidEMartin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can Taskmaster copy someone with Ultimate Skill?
> Or is he only limited to a Monstrous rank and
> could only come close to copying someone with
> Ultimate Skill?
>
> E.G. - a person with Ultimate Skill in Martial
> Arts B who's then copied by Taskmaster. Does
> Taskmaster now have Ultimate Skill: Martial Arts
> B?
>
>
> Ever photocopy a photocopy?
> Same idea.
> Taskmaster or other similarly-powered characters
> can only duplicate another's abilities up to the
> limits of his own power rank.

Thank you very much - and I mean VERY much - for taking the time to answer!

Be well,
Revengel
February 14, 2012 02:55PM
So then if one had Photographic reflexes (or Total Memory - Physical)... at Un then would the -3CS rule for automatic feats be a valid rule for what one could automatically do? (Un-3CS = In rank skills and below are automatically done?)

Hope that made sense...

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 04:04PM by The_Skycutter.
March 05, 2012 04:22AM
Dave in game terms how do you think the rank of a "SOUL" should be determined? I always have based it on the Karma making Stats-is this proper?
I only ask because the recent debate in the forum about this..
"Hi" by the way and I wish you a good day.
Tig
March 21, 2012 12:03PM
How do I join a game ? can someone inbox me and walk me thru this ? I'm dying to start an adventure true believers
April 01, 2012 01:19AM
Captain Berlin

>>-Mr Fantastic is listed with Amazing Reason and the power Hyper-Intelligence. Is Amazing his final score, or does it add up? If it does, how much? What was his score, before he was transformed and got the power Hyper-intelligence? (He is descriped as the smartest man in the world, but you could easily roll up a hero with a higher Reason an I wonder, if Amazing is maybe too low)

I'd say his base intelligence was Am because he was supposed to be super smart before the accident. His hyper-intelligence is focused on physics and physics related devices, so only in those situations is his hyper-intelligence score added to his reason.

>>- Hyper-Invention: Does it have a Power Rank? Does it add up to Reason like the power Mechanical Intuition (Advanced Players Book)? The hero needs 2CS less Ressources to build stuff. Does that also count, when he invents stuff, like a teleporter device or body armor?

It does have a rank (the rank goes up 1 cs if you specialize in a type of device), it's added for purposes of building devices. The reduced cs applies when building things, but if you specialize, it only applies to what you specialize in.
April 24, 2012 05:00PM
Okay, I hope I'm not repeating something anyone else asked, but I did a search for time limits for the whole forum and no results. Some powers (specifically Self-Sustenance) are written as reaching their time limit. I have yet to find any information on how long a power lasts. Does this information exist, and if so, where? Book and pg. # please.
April 25, 2012 03:56AM
khanibal Wrote:
> Okay, I hope I'm not repeating something anyone
> else asked, but I did a search for time limits for
> the whole forum and no results. Some powers
> (specifically Self-Sustenance) are written as
> reaching their time limit. I have yet to find any
> information on how long a power lasts. Does this
> information exist, and if so, where? Book and pg.
> # please.

Some powers are defined as having a duration equal to power rank turns, hours, minutes, etc., but there is no across the board rule. If a power doesn't state it's duration within the description, you're on your own.

Re: Khanibal
April 28, 2012 11:19AM
The temporary form requires the hero to
consume mass quantities at the expiration
of the Power. ("That's the fifteenth
steak you've eaten, Fred. How long did
you say it's been since you ate last?")
The required intake is one-quarter what
the hero would normally have consumed
during the time he was abstaining. The
hero can raise his Power rank +1CS by
opting for the temporary form.

oh boy.......... Never did anything about defining "Duration"....... Is there something in the Grubb rules about that?
The idea is that if you had Good level SS, you could go without air/water/food for "x" length of time. Amazing would get you "x+", Monstrous "x++" and so on.
Back when I get out of my chair and go find a copy of the rules books......

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
April 28, 2012 06:41PM
DavidEMartin Wrote:
> oh boy.......... Never did anything about
> defining "Duration"....... Is there something in
> the Grubb rules about that?
> The idea is that if you had Good level SS, you
> could go without air/water/food for "x" length of
> time. Amazing would get you "x+", Monstrous "x++"
> and so on.
> Back when I get out of my chair and go find a copy
> of the rules books......

I've fought with this for over 2 decades. There is no generic duration for powers. Some have it defined in the description, but most don't. The only table that gives durations is the Magic table in the Advanced Player's Book.

April 28, 2012 06:53PM
barna10 Wrote:
> DavidEMartin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > oh boy.......... Never did anything about
> > defining "Duration"....... Is there something
> in
> > the Grubb rules about that?
> > The idea is that if you had Good level SS, you
> > could go without air/water/food for "x" length
> of
> > time. Amazing would get you "x+", Monstrous
> "x++"
> > and so on.
> > Back when I get out of my chair and go find a
> copy
> > of the rules books......
>
> I've fought with this for over 2 decades. There
> is no generic duration for powers. Some have it
> defined in the description, but most don't. The
> only table that gives durations is the Magic table
> in the Advanced Player's Book.

Which pretty much leaves you having to define things on a case by case basis, some powers you can get by with turns for duration others you'd need hours or days (humans after all can't go many minutes without breathing but can go many days without food as long as they have the air and water).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 28, 2012 07:04PM
Nightmask Wrote:

> Which pretty much leaves you having to define
> things on a case by case basis, some powers you
> can get by with turns for duration others you'd
> need hours or days (humans after all can't go many
> minutes without breathing but can go many days
> without food as long as they have the air and
> water).

I usually use other games as a reference.

duration
May 01, 2012 11:04AM
Damn..... All this time and you'd think I'd notice Grubb never did anything about Duration either.
The DC HEROES system handles Duration readily and quite easily.

I'm guessing I need to do something akin to the Range Table..... Okay, something to do to keep me from knocking my head against the wall that is the Marvel : Avengers Alliance game........

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: duration
May 01, 2012 11:14AM
To me, the duration of self-sustenance feels like it should be the power rank number equals the number of days without food/drink/air/etc.
May 01, 2012 11:26AM
DavidEMartin Wrote:
> Damn..... All this time and you'd think I'd
> notice Grubb never did anything about Duration
> either.
> The DC HEROES system handles Duration readily and
> quite easily.
>
> I'm guessing I need to do something akin to the
> Range Table..... Okay, something to do to keep me
> from knocking my head against the wall that is the
> Marvel : Avengers Alliance game........

So you're stuck while playing it, or wanting to avoid getting caught up playing it?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 01, 2012 11:28AM
rileyV Wrote:
> To me, the duration of self-sustenance feels like
> it should be the power rank number equals the
> number of days without food/drink/air/etc.

Well as I noted the problem with that is time without food before you start suffering is a lot longer than time without water or air. So Feeble rank giving you 2 days without trouble on either doesn't begin to actually matter towards your going without food as just about anyone can go 2 days without trouble, unlike air where you're getting a major benefit. So balancing the duration is the problem.

-- Peter David

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 22
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.