Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....

Posted by DavidEMartin 
Re: Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....
November 30, 2012 12:59AM
I want to ask something.

If we shoot someone, the chance to miss from 2 areas away is bigger than the chance to miss from 1 area away or when the gun directly touches the opponent. So are there any house rules that can control that?
November 30, 2012 08:27AM
The only ones I can think of are if the character has any powers to counter it.
November 30, 2012 11:18AM
Actually, there are ranged attack penalties for weapons. Page 41 of the Advanced Player's Book, bottom left of the page under the Shooting Weapons heading. It says:

Range is the maximum range of the weapon in question. For each area beyond the first, the weapon receives a -1CS to hit. This is different from ranged Powers, in which Range is set as effective number of areas. Example:a Thug with a rifle fires at a target five areas away with Excellent ability. The thug receives a - 4CS to hit as a result of the range. If the thug were striking with a Power (including such specialty items as a repulsor blast), then there would be no penalty to hit from range.

Note that range penalty ONLY applies to shooting weapons and not powers. So yeah, its -1CS for every area beyond the first one up to the weapon's maximum range. In my game, I would use this for all standard equipment, but if a player creates a tech guy and one of his powers is a kinetic missle weapon (a gun), then his gun power is an exception to the rule for standard firearms.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 01, 2012 01:47AM
I found the point blank tactic on the player's book.

One more question, where can I find the range rank table that has A to E coloumn?
December 01, 2012 05:20AM
Rico888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One more question, where can I find the range rank table that has A to E coloumn?

Welcome, Rico888 smiling smiley

The Range Table with Columns A-E is in the Ultimate Powers Book, a pdf dowload of which is available on this site:

Download Page with UPB
December 02, 2012 03:04AM
Quick question.
Can hyper-speed and hyper- invention /repair tinkering be linked to create a really fast builder?

Ok, not so quick. How about tossing catalytic control and molecular conversion into the mix?
December 09, 2012 10:55AM
I have a question about the downloads. What's the size of the files for the Campaign Book and the Battle Book?
Elemental and Molecular Conversion question
December 09, 2012 11:16AM
While this should probably be self-evident I thought I'd ask just to see the answer with regards to elemental and molecular conversion when transferring something into another element or compound is there any reason one can't convert something from say lead to carbon in a diamond configuration instead of graphite, or into rubies or emeralds? This would seem to be an inherent aspect of the powers but some are uptight about the idea of making gems like that even though it should be a root aspect of the power.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: Elemental and Molecular Conversion question
December 09, 2012 02:56PM
I myself don't have a major problem with players trying to use such powers for a quick bit of wealth, as I feel there are enough logical hurdles to navigate depending on items and amounts that can prevent a quick handwave of "well I automatically get +3cs to Resources for everything imaginable". I feel it encourages player creativity rather than just presuming a massive boost to their bank accounts.

Trying to peddle lots of gems, esp. if high quality, will draw all sorts of attention, from government and worse. Similar things can happen if peddling mass amounts of any consumer goods. Using it to provide yourself with needed items and components to help offset costs will generally benefit you a lot more in the long run, though there are still potential plot hooks if folks learn what you can do.
December 11, 2012 05:24PM
Dave, your wisdom is both formidable and profound! That is why I came to this thread, seeking knowledge.

The question is this, who are your favorite 3 characters, do you think the official write-ups do them credit, and how would you modify them to account for how they've developed over the years.
December 11, 2012 05:30PM
Hey Dave, I know that there have been threads about your favorite power and most underrated and so forth, but I do not remember ever seeing the one I am about to ask, so if it has been asked I apologize, but out of all the powers in the Ultimate Power Book, which one do you feel needs to be "fixed" from the way it is written the most?
Re: Psiman
December 14, 2012 05:46PM
"which one do you feel needs to be "fixed" from the way it is written the most?"

Given the fact that when I wandered into this site there was a raging argument going on about it, I'd say True Invulnerability is the head of the line for a rewrite.
I think it was easily 2-4 years before that argument finally wound down.

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 05:47PM by DavidEMartin.
December 14, 2012 11:50PM
Is it because you think it's too much like body armor or you just don't like the way it's written?
December 15, 2012 01:26AM
DavidEMartin Wrote:
> "which one do you feel needs to be "fixed" from
> the way it is written the most?"
>
> Given the fact that when I wandered into this site
> there was a raging argument going on about it, I'd
> say True Invulnerability is the head of the line
> for a rewrite.
> I think it was easily 2-4 years before that
> argument finally wound down.

Oh no, you brought up the dreaded 'True Invulnerability' topic! *makes warding signs against evil*

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Re: RileyV
December 15, 2012 06:01AM
Is it because you think it's too much like body armor or you just don't like the way it's written?

It's because I assumed everyone thought the way I think and it seemed a no-brainer at the time.
I often think of THE LIFE OF BRIAN, in particular the schism betwen the two sects of Brianists, those who worship the Holy Shoe and those who worship the Holy Ghourd.

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2012 06:02AM by DavidEMartin.
Re: RileyV
December 15, 2012 06:05AM
DavidEMartin Wrote:
> Is it because you think it's too much like body
> armor or you just don't like the way it's
> written?
>
> It's because I assumed everyone thought the way I
> think and it seemed a no-brainer at the time.
> I often think of THE LIFE OF BRIAN, in particular
> the schism betwen the two sects of Brianists,
> those who worship the Holy Shoe and those who
> worship the Holy Ghourd.

Ti wasn't the only spot you ran into that problem either, Power Creation was another that ran afoul of that. Reminds me more of Riff from Sluggy Freelance though, people trying to pirate his technology found it failing in a dangerously spectacular fashion because he'd leave stuff out of the notes he felt was a no-brainer.

-- Peter David

December 19, 2012 11:11PM
I think the UPB is a fabulous resources (Well done, Mr. Martin) but I have to admit that I've always prefered the Body Armor/Resistance/Invulnerability powers as stated in the Player's Book and that's what I've always used.
February 02, 2013 03:25AM
Dave,
What in the MSH RPG would you change, in terms of game system? I mean overall and not limited to your contributions.

Also, thank you, for those contributions to a hobby I've enjoyed for over 20 years.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain."
-Roy Batty, Blade Runner
February 04, 2013 05:10PM
Which hero from the Advanced Judge's Book do you think most needs a rewrite using the Ultimate Powers Book?

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 16, 2013 10:06AM
On "Movie Pool" AKA the Wade Wilson from the X-Men Origin's: Wolverine movie, what powers did that version of Deadpool have and what levels game wise?

Reinhardt: Ahh, you kids today with your techno music! You should enjoy the classics, like Hasselhoff!
Lúcio: I can’t even take you seriously right now.
February 20, 2013 08:07AM
Just threw this up on the forum but maybe you have an answer, thanks.

Body Transformation - Self
Energy Form - Radio Waves

Are you immune to physical attacks?
Can you walk through walls?
Are you totally insubstantial?

And if you're a energy being, is this always on?

And does this break the spirit or rules of the game with this kind of power or being?

Thanks again
Re: Overwatch
February 22, 2013 06:01AM
Overwatch Wrote:
Body Transformation - Self
Energy Form - Radio Waves

Are you immune to physical attacks?

Attacks that need a physical body as a traget, sure. You're not solid, liquid, or gaseous. You're more a plasma.
Can you walk through walls?
You can use your radio indoors, right? Barriers would have incorporate some form of radiowave-dampening. A Farraday Cage, for example, or static-generating circuitry.
Are you totally insubstantial?
Inasmuch as a plasma is insubstantial, yes. But things that would affect or contain a plasma could be used against you.
And if you're a energy being, is this always on?
As long as the Body Tranformation is in effect. When that wears off, you're back to Cinderella the scullery maid.
And does this break the spirit or rules of the game with this kind of power or being?
Rules are meant to be broken. Why would an entity composed of sentient radiowaves "break the spirit of the game"? Admittedly you wouldn't be much use rescuing a kitten from a tree but there would be plenty of other things you could do. Remember, your microwave oven is basically a radio transmitter (hint, hint). So go save the city from the Mutant Peeps !

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: Overwatch
February 25, 2013 12:09PM
Thanks again. This is all awesome
March 09, 2013 07:14AM
This has probably been asked before, and I'm feeling too lazy to search for it, but there are some powers in the UPB where the write-up talks about both intensity and colour of the FEATs needed. So, for example, linguistics says that alien humanoid languages are a Remarkable FEAT, and that learning them from an instructor is a Green FEAT, but learning them from fragments of a language is a Red FEAT.

How does that work when your power rank is not the one needed for the FEAT in question? If I have Incredible Linguistics and I'm trying to learn Imperial Shi'ar from a couple of intercepted video messages, do I still need to roll a red FEAT, or does the higher rank make it easier? If I only have Excellent Linguistics, and I'm trying to learn the same language, under what circumstances can I potentially learn it on a Red FEAT (as per the generic rules about making FEATs)?
April 01, 2013 09:49PM
Hi again
I'm GMing a "Secret Warriors" campaign with my friends and we stumble upon a controversial step. According to the book whenever a player want something from a NPC, he needs to roll popularity, but at the same time it states that you never can roll popularity against an hostile character. That make us wonder how an interrogation works. We use a work around using Reason against Psyche (or Intuition depending on what method is used to lure/force the target to talk).
How it was supposed to work?
April 18, 2013 02:23AM
erynus Wrote:
> Hi again
> I'm GMing a "Secret Warriors" campaign with my
> friends and we stumble upon a controversial step.
> According to the book whenever a player want
> something from a NPC, he needs to roll popularity,
> but at the same time it states that you never can
> roll popularity against an hostile character. That
> make us wonder how an interrogation works. We use
> a work around using Reason against Psyche (or
> Intuition depending on what method is used to
> lure/force the target to talk).
> How it was supposed to work?

First, an interrogation shouldn't be based off of Popularity. If it were, Army interrogators would always fail because they have 0 Popularity (no one knows who they are!). Popularity rolls are for influencing people based on your rep, it's not your ability to influence people people i.e. Charisma.

It's like Brad Pitt walking into a cafe and trying to get a table. Regardless of whether he's a jerk or not, he gets the table because the people know it's Brad Pitt! One might be able to get the same result by being Charismatic, but that's not popularity. This is also why you can't use Popularity to influence a hostile person. If the waiter doesn't like Brad Pitt or if he was a total jerk last time he was in there his "star power" means nothing.

Unfortunately there is no "Charisma" stat in Marvel. I suggest using a Psyche roll. You can have the other party resist with Psyche as well.

April 18, 2013 05:40AM
barna10 Wrote:
> erynus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi again
> > I'm GMing a "Secret Warriors" campaign with my
> > friends and we stumble upon a controversial
> step.
> > According to the book whenever a player want
> > something from a NPC, he needs to roll
> popularity,
> > but at the same time it states that you never
> can
> > roll popularity against an hostile character.
> That
> > make us wonder how an interrogation works. We
> use
> > a work around using Reason against Psyche (or
> > Intuition depending on what method is used to
> > lure/force the target to talk).
> > How it was supposed to work?
>
> First, an interrogation shouldn't be based off of
> Popularity. If it were, Army interrogators would
> always fail because they have 0 Popularity (no one
> knows who they are!). Popularity rolls are for
> influencing people based on your rep, it's not
> your ability to influence people people i.e.
> Charisma.
>
> It's like Brad Pitt walking into a cafe and trying
> to get a table. Regardless of whether he's a jerk
> or not, he gets the table because the people know
> it's Brad Pitt! One might be able to get the same
> result by being Charismatic, but that's not
> popularity. This is also why you can't use
> Popularity to influence a hostile person. If the
> waiter doesn't like Brad Pitt or if he was a total
> jerk last time he was in there his "star power"
> means nothing.
>
> Unfortunately there is no "Charisma" stat in
> Marvel. I suggest using a Psyche roll. You can
> have the other party resist with Psyche as well.

Wouldn't a Reason feat be more appropriate? After all you aren't pitting your mind against theirs you're trying to persuade them into giving you what you want, trying to outthink them and target their vulnerabilities (if any) to break them to serve your needs.

-- Peter David

April 18, 2013 05:43AM
Nightmask Wrote:

> Wouldn't a Reason feat be more appropriate? After
> all you aren't pitting your mind against theirs
> you're trying to persuade them into giving you
> what you want, trying to outthink them and target
> their vulnerabilities (if any) to break them to
> serve your needs.

If this were true the "Big Bang Theory" wouldn't be such a funny show. Nerds would make the best diplomats. Maybe an Intuition feat, but definitely not Reason.

April 18, 2013 06:13AM
barna10 Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't a Reason feat be more appropriate?
> After
> > all you aren't pitting your mind against theirs
> > you're trying to persuade them into giving you
> > what you want, trying to outthink them and
> target
> > their vulnerabilities (if any) to break them to
> > serve your needs.
>
> If this were true the "Big Bang Theory" wouldn't
> be such a funny show. Nerds would make the best
> diplomats. Maybe an Intuition feat, but
> definitely not Reason.

I suppose it depends on the method of interrogation, they aren't all the same after all. If you're brutalizing someone it's a measure of how good you are at hurting someone, but if you're going at them psychologically then it should be more Reason based.

The Big Bang Theory btw is peopled with characters that are also obviously saddled with terrible limitations with regards to interpersonal interaction (including ironically the psychiatrist mother of the one), meanwhile its those well-educated and highly intelligent who are generally used to torture people for information in more developed countries (like bush jr.'s 'enhanced interrogation teams').

EDIT:

Hmmm, in thinking things over it seems like it should be a Psyche feat on the part of the victim of the interrogation, with the color of the feat determined by the methods and how much the protagonist understands about interrogating people and getting information or cooperation out of them.

-- Peter David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 09:30AM by Nightmask.
April 18, 2013 10:55AM
I could see an argument for using the interrogator's Psyche as a reflection of force of personality and attempting to impose his will upon another.

Reason could apply in some methods as well, perhaps reflecting careful manipulation and construction of arguments designed to trip up the victim and get them to reveal what you wish to know.

Intuition might be applicable in other methods, helping to read the person's reactions and suss out what they're hiding as an example.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 33
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.