Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....

Posted by DavidEMartin 
Re: Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....
April 25, 2013 12:59AM
Thanks for the reply
My point was that there are no rules for interrogation on the rulebook, maybe cause super villains enjoy too much babbling about their schemes. But on an espionage set we feel it should be harder to get information.
As my players are almost always the active part, we don't roll for targets Psyche, just use it as a target for color success. We roll Reason because it mean the links the interrogator have to make using logical thinking. Given that if you beat someone enough he eventually tell you whatever you want him to tell, we avoided the "brutalize" approach. The way of interrogation differs if it is an open interrogation like in police way, wich is a Reason vs Psyche feat or if it is a subtle interrogation like wheedling, wich is Reason vs Intuition as the target is guessing if everything is just rubbish.
On the other hand when my players are the questioned part, they roll Intuition or Psyche feat vs Reason intensity of the interrogator. Just one roll to lighten things up.
Should i use a situational modifier based on the target healt?
April 27, 2013 06:28PM
Dave, if you could take a mulligan to any one Power -- scrapping everything that's ever been documented on how it works (whether constructed by you or from the original rules set) -- and were able to re-write it from scratch, which Power would it be and how would you make it different?

edit: occurs to me maybe this had been asked prior but I didn't backtrack through the past pages and maybe you've come across something newer that bugged you

FASERIPPED! A play-by-post Marvel adventure

Write-ups: Rottweiler, Hardknox, The Outcasts, Kaela, Magua, The Human Fly

"Don't over think any weapons or powers too much. Try to keep it simple and implement House Rules where you think situations don't make sense, or if the Books don't provide enough details" - TankerAce

"Some rules are just very bad, very poorly thought out, and should simply be discarded because of how completely illogical they are." - Nightmask

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2013 06:31PM by Relic.
May 17, 2013 04:52AM
Pffft.

FASERIPPED! A play-by-post Marvel adventure

Write-ups: Rottweiler, Hardknox, The Outcasts, Kaela, Magua, The Human Fly

"Don't over think any weapons or powers too much. Try to keep it simple and implement House Rules where you think situations don't make sense, or if the Books don't provide enough details" - TankerAce

"Some rules are just very bad, very poorly thought out, and should simply be discarded because of how completely illogical they are." - Nightmask
May 19, 2013 10:10AM
I haven't seen dave on lately.
May 19, 2013 04:15PM
I've got one for you Dave (or anyone else that knows the answer):

Why are some forms so limited in power? Specifically Modified Human - Extra Parts, Abnormal Biochemistry, and Mineral Life.

I can't count the number of times I've rolled these and thought "Cool!" until I started rolling and they had horrible stats. How are you supposed to make a rock man juggernaut when you roll on column 2 (max of EX)!?

Um.....
May 21, 2013 09:22AM
"It seemed a good idea at the time" ?

As you may infer, I got too damn involved with that damn MAA game. Good think I detest alcohol and tobacco as I suspect I have an addiction-prone personality.

Looks like I have a lot of old mail here to respond to.
Not today though.

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: Um.....
May 21, 2013 10:39AM
He lives!!!
May 23, 2013 02:07PM
rileyV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He lives!!!

I do ?
Oh, good.
Okay, one less thing to worry about.

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
May 23, 2013 10:10PM
May 25, 2013 07:49PM
Dave,

First off thanks for answering our questions, I was wondering if you could explain how Regeneration works as opposed to just healing through bed rest based on health regained from Endurance? This aspect of the game never made much sense to me and I patch worked my way around it by saying Endurance recovery is once a day and regeneration is by the hour, or if the player takes the power a second time, by the round...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter having worked on the game with a greater understanding of the rules and how they were meant to be interpreted.

Thanks in advance,
Keith
May 25, 2013 07:55PM
bobmalo Wrote:
> Dave,
>
> First off thanks for answering our questions, I
> was wondering if you could explain how
> Regeneration works as opposed to just healing
> through bed rest based on health regained from
> Endurance? This aspect of the game never made much
> sense to me and I patch worked my way around it by
> saying Endurance recovery is once a day and
> regeneration is by the hour, or if the player
> takes the power a second time, by the round...I'd
> love to hear your thoughts on the matter having
> worked on the game with a greater understanding of
> the rules and how they were meant to be
> interpreted.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Keith

Healing is Endurance rank in health per day until healed. Regeneration speeds up the rate at which you recover by the power rank number. To make the math simple if you had Excellent (24) rank in Regeneration you'd reduce the 24hr/1day recovery rate to 1 hr to regain your Endurance rank. If the rank were merely Good (12) you'd go 2hrs before getting your Endurance rank in Health back, and so on. There are several threads covering the various versions of Regeneration (both from the advanced book, UPB, and other versions) if you look back through the archive.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 27, 2013 02:43AM
Nightmask Wrote:

> Healing is Endurance rank in health per day until
> healed. Regeneration speeds up the rate at which
> you recover by the power rank number. To make the
> math simple if you had Excellent (24) rank in
> Regeneration you'd reduce the 24hr/1day recovery
> rate to 1 hr to regain your Endurance rank. If
> the rank were merely Good (12) you'd go 2hrs
> before getting your Endurance rank in Health back,
> and so on. There are several threads covering the
> various versions of Regeneration (both from the
> advanced book, UPB, and other versions) if you
> look back through the archive.

Nightmask,

First off thanks for responding on a memorial day weekend, I know everyone here would probably have been doing other stuff and to take the time out to pen a missive is sometimes hard work in and of itself, but you're wrong about the healing time. Page 32 of the PHB states healing is every hour, Regeneration on page 87 drops it every minute and the UPB makes no mention of whether or not you regeneration power rank number of points at the accelerated rate, just that healing happens at power rank times faster. The threads on the boards, while plentiful didn't help me much but your explanation did clarify UPB somewhat, but alters my original question.

Was it the original intention with Regeneration (P9, I think...) that Regeneration functioned like Hyperspeed insomuch that it just accelerated your baseline healing ability (endurance rank...), if that is the case does the time factored (explained much better by Nightmask...) go off of the original premise of the hour or by the minute before the amplification by Regeneration? And as a follow up, was it intended to be Endurance rank level or at power rank level? (You regenerate 75 health at 75 times faster, despite having a remarkable endurance....)

Thanks again for the response.
Keith
May 27, 2013 03:19AM
bobmalo Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Healing is Endurance rank in health per day
> until
> > healed. Regeneration speeds up the rate at
> which
> > you recover by the power rank number. To make
> the
> > math simple if you had Excellent (24) rank in
> > Regeneration you'd reduce the 24hr/1day
> recovery
> > rate to 1 hr to regain your Endurance rank. If
> > the rank were merely Good (12) you'd go 2hrs
> > before getting your Endurance rank in Health
> back,
> > and so on. There are several threads covering
> the
> > various versions of Regeneration (both from the
> > advanced book, UPB, and other versions) if you
> > look back through the archive.
>
>
> Nightmask,
>
> First off thanks for responding on a memorial day
> weekend, I know everyone here would probably have
> been doing other stuff and to take the time out to
> pen a missive is sometimes hard work in and of
> itself, but you're wrong about the healing time.
> Page 32 of the PHB states healing is every hour,
> Regeneration on page 87 drops it every minute and
> the UPB makes no mention of whether or not you
> regeneration power rank number of points at the
> accelerated rate, just that healing happens at
> power rank times faster. The threads on the
> boards, while plentiful didn't help me much but
> your explanation did clarify UPB somewhat, but
> alters my original question.
>
> Was it the original intention with Regeneration
> (P9, I think...) that Regeneration functioned like
> Hyperspeed insomuch that it just accelerated your
> baseline healing ability (endurance rank...), if
> that is the case does the time factored (explained
> much better by Nightmask...) go off of the
> original premise of the hour or by the minute
> before the amplification by Regeneration? And as a
> follow up, was it intended to be Endurance rank
> level or at power rank level? (You regenerate 75
> health at 75 times faster, despite having a
> remarkable endurance....)
>
> Thanks again for the response.
> Keith

First off, Nightmask isn't wrong, and neither are you. The Advanced Players book contradicts itself regarding how healing happens. One section (on page 32) states the character regains health once per hour but then the description of the Regeneration power on page 87 states the character "...heals faster than the normal rate of Endurance Rank per day. A hero with Regeneration recovers the Endurance Rank every 10 turns (one minute),..."

The judges book supports regaining the Endurance rank per hour on page 11. In addition, the Revised Basic Rule Book supports the once per hour rule on page 27.

Now, regarding Regeneration: it depends on which version of the power the hero has. If he has Regeneration form the Advanced book, he simple heals his Endurance rank every 10 turns (1 minute).

If he has Regeneration from the UPB, he heals his Endurance rank every (60/power rank number) minutes. In addition, the hero regains lost Endurance ranks quicker. Instead of 1 per week, he regains Endurance ranks at the rate of (7/power rank number) days.

For instance: A character with an Excellent(16) Endurance heals 16 points per hour, normally. If he has the Regeneration power from the Advanced book he instead heals 16 points per minute (960 per hour).

If he instead had the Regeneration power from the UPB, the power rank number now matters. Let's give him Ehot smiley16) Regeneration. He now heals 16 points every 37.5 turns (or 3.75 minutes). He also recovers Endurance ranks quicker. He can attempt to recover 1 every 10.5 hours instead of once per week.

600 turns per hour
24 hour per day
7 days per week

600 * 24 * 7 = 100,800 turns per week

100,800/16 = 6300

6300/600 = 10.5 hours

May 27, 2013 09:18AM
bobmalo Wrote:
> Nightmask Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Healing is Endurance rank in health per day
> until
> > healed. Regeneration speeds up the rate at
> which
> > you recover by the power rank number. To make
> the
> > math simple if you had Excellent (24) rank in
> > Regeneration you'd reduce the 24hr/1day
> recovery
> > rate to 1 hr to regain your Endurance rank. If
> > the rank were merely Good (12) you'd go 2hrs
> > before getting your Endurance rank in Health
> back,
> > and so on. There are several threads covering
> the
> > various versions of Regeneration (both from the
> > advanced book, UPB, and other versions) if you
> > look back through the archive.
>
>
> Nightmask,
>
> First off thanks for responding on a memorial day
> weekend, I know everyone here would probably have
> been doing other stuff and to take the time out to
> pen a missive is sometimes hard work in and of
> itself, but you're wrong about the healing time.
> Page 32 of the PHB states healing is every hour,
> Regeneration on page 87 drops it every minute and
> the UPB makes no mention of whether or not you
> regeneration power rank number of points at the
> accelerated rate, just that healing happens at
> power rank times faster. The threads on the
> boards, while plentiful didn't help me much but
> your explanation did clarify UPB somewhat, but
> alters my original question.

The power is pretty clear that you recover your Endurance rank number of health not your power rank number, since it says it accelerates your natural rate and your natural rate is based on Endurance rank.

> Was it the original intention with Regeneration
> (P9, I think...) that Regeneration functioned like
> Hyperspeed insomuch that it just accelerated your
> baseline healing ability (endurance rank...), if
> that is the case does the time factored (explained
> much better by Nightmask...) go off of the
> original premise of the hour or by the minute
> before the amplification by Regeneration? And as a
> follow up, was it intended to be Endurance rank
> level or at power rank level? (You regenerate 75
> health at 75 times faster, despite having a
> remarkable endurance....)
>
> Thanks again for the response.
> Keith

barna10 covers what I'd have said for the most part, other than noting that the hourly recovery rate for health is a very glaring and bad error in the books and healing should recover on a daily basis (every 24hrs) normally. Aunt May, beaten to a bloodly pulp and zero health, would be completely recovered in a lot less than a day with a Feeble Endurance going by an hourly rate which is just absurd. I can't imagine how they get it right in some places but completely muffed it on the detailed section regarding healing and health recovery but they do.

Neither the Advanced Players Handbook version of Regeneration (which has no power rank) nor the UPB version use the power rank for health recovery, it only accelerates how fast you recover your Endurance rank number of health. In the case of the Advanced Player's version it reduces the daily rate to minutes (or roughly 1333 times faster than normal), with the UPB you have to do some math to determine the newer rate (as I detailed already). Other than determining how much faster you recover your Endurance rank number in health and lost Endurance ranks the only other thing the power rank for Regeneration is good for from the UPB is determining whether or not you successfully regenerate a lost body part.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 27, 2013 04:52PM
Dave,

You said that assigning Column 2 to Mineral and Modified Human - Extra Parts "sounded good at the time", but now, how would you change them?

May 31, 2013 07:34AM
Dave,

Have you ever found your notes concerning the Dragon Magazine article with the Longevity power, and if so, were you able to figure out what text got cut out from the published article where I specified?

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
June 10, 2013 08:30PM
bobmalo Wrote:
> Dave,
>
> First off thanks for answering our questions, I
> was wondering if you could explain how
> Regeneration works as opposed to just healing
> through bed rest based on health regained from
> Endurance? This aspect of the game never made much
> sense to me and I patch worked my way around it by
> saying Endurance recovery is once a day and
> regeneration is by the hour, or if the player
> takes the power a second time, by the round...I'd
> love to hear your thoughts on the matter having
> worked on the game with a greater understanding of
> the rules and how they were meant to be
> interpreted.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Keith

Hi bob welcome to the forum, you will always get lots of help here every one has how they play. My answer would be what ever makes your game fun. Do you want super fast regen like wolverine for those gritty fights, just depends on what makes sense and fun for you and your gamers ill show what i have done.
- Endurance: healing once per day for all heroes and villains that do not have healing type powers. I do not include most normal humans,aliens etc as the E. healing sets them apart.
- Regeneration: I use there power rank to let them heal every hour,only cost one power slot in my game. can repair most broken bones,cuts etc. Serious damage like spinal injury,brain damage,heart lungs etc. can be healed at half power rank in days or months depending on how severe the damage was.
- Fast healer: This power is two and they heal by tenths like ben reillies sight shows I.E. Amazing heals 5 points per rnd. Severe injuries are capable of being healed in hours and days as above plus can power stunt endurance recovery wheres regen you can not. hope this help and remember its about your fun first and foremost.
June 14, 2013 11:58AM
I have a question myself about power duplication. It states that only one power at a time can be used. Exaple of my question is if you copy say transformation lizard Spidy's old foe will you get the entire set of powers that go with as one,or do you gain all the powers but each one cost power slot or do you only gain one power out off all them? thanks in advance
July 05, 2013 04:47AM
Greetings! Hopefully this hasn't been asked before; as a 7 page thread is a bit much to read through.

I've only had the privilege of hosting one game of Marvel; but when I did, we were confused by the rules regarding making a charging attack. The basic set rules say

...he charges right into the guy, shifts one column to the right of his Endurance rank on the Universal Table for each area he charges through, and makes an Endurance FEAT roll. He also does more damage, because he shifts his Strength rank one column to the right for each column he shifts his Endurance.

Charging is an Endurance feat, so wouldn't that mean that the further away the character starts, the more likely they'd be to succeed and do more damage than normal? Why would anyone do anything else? Seems like this should be the other way around, where the further away you are, the harder it is to accomplish this, as the person you're charging as more time to get out of the way. Am I missing something?
July 15, 2013 12:47PM
I'm going to make a shameless request that Mr. Martin, or Nightmask (or both) post their wisdom on my thread about bio-electricity. Thank you in advance. smiling smiley
August 29, 2013 12:07PM
I wonder what it would take to restart Marvel Super Heros using the FASERIP. Any thoughts?
August 29, 2013 12:37PM
I've looked into it. The actual FASERIP system seems uncopyrightable. The content is of course proprietary, but there seems to be nothing preventing the publication of new FASERIP material.

August 29, 2013 06:13PM
hopefully he will check in soon.
August 29, 2013 11:36PM
MajorSteel Wrote:
> I wonder what it would take to restart Marvel
> Super Heros using the FASERIP. Any thoughts?

A letter writing campaign?
August 31, 2013 09:17AM
im on bored where do i sign up
August 31, 2013 09:22AM
well consider you have to get the license right to use marvel copyright material. But go so far as to get others from other comic book companies and do a truley ultimate crossover
August 31, 2013 09:23AM
September 02, 2013 12:26PM
Would be nice to see the updated characters from the new marvel universes,but if they give the project to a smuck no way,they need to consult dave and people from this forum.
September 03, 2013 01:15PM
A modest and true representation in order for them to be played and be welcome in a balance game.

I notice some interpretation wouldn't accurately be defined in those goals.

However, fixing broke powers and have the time to really edit as Mr Martin has stated with an expansion power book here and there.
It would take expansion books in order to keep the game fresh and have revenue to stay in business. Of course the character roster would be the greatest part
September 03, 2013 01:18PM
For the most part character write-ups are just bloat. Those could be provided on a fansite. The real emphasis should be on rules and other nuts-n-bolts

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 33
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.