Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....

Posted by DavidEMartin 
Re: duration
May 01, 2012 11:37AM
So, at the lowest ranks, you don't bother worrying about food or water. It's just a given. You'd just focus on air and any usual endurance checks from not consuming water and food are just bypassed. After you get past the normal limitations, that's when you worry about food and water.
Re: Ask Dave Martin Anything.... well, hopefully anything game related....
May 05, 2012 02:59PM
Under the Grubb rules, it seems that Life Support lasts power rank turns until you get to ShZ, when it becomes indefinite. That renders the power almost useless at typical levels. I've decided that for a non-combat power this is just too much hassle (besides, it's only important if the Judge has decided to kill the hero by environment), and have decided to simply set it up like Water Freedom, either you got it, or you don't.
Thank you, everyone, for trying to help resolve this.

P.S. The duration table in the magic rules gets REALLY generous.
May 06, 2012 09:53AM
To Mr. Dave E. Martin: (Thank you for your contributions to the Marvel Super Heroes role-playing game- I've been playing this since I was a teenager- I'm now 35, and love how the older version of games- MSHRPG are much more fun than the more recent ones; i.e. Margaret Weis’ version…)

(1): Do you think the extended ranks (Fantastic- Fn (35), Spectacular- Sp (45), Sensational- Sn (60), Awesome- Aw (90) ) could have been used to denote the differences in certain Marvel character stats? (For example- the Hulk and Thor both have Unearthly (100) Strength; would Awesome (90) have been a better fit for either the Hulk or Thor?)

My main question involves a character of mine that is an empathic vampire:

*The reason I'm asking this question is because Energy Conversion in the UPB only seem to list energies that can also be used as Energy Emission based powers.

My question is-
(1) Wouldn't emotions be considered a form of energy? (For example, one of my main characters is an Empathic Vampire- feeds off of emotions, and it is that emotional energy that helps sustain the loss of his stats at an hourly rate).

(2) Could he through Energy Conversion convert those negative emotional energies (he does his best to feed off of negative emotions as well as beings he would find to be "evil"- he can read auras) into positive healing energies? (Or would he need energy absorption as well in order to gain those negative energies in the first place? Would empathic vampirism be the means in which he “absorbs/feeds” into those energies?)

(My character also has Life Control Power: Biophysical Control- via Damage Transferral; he tries to "give back" to others despite his need to feed, and I thought why not put some of those negative energies to some good use- to convert it to positive energies to heal either himself, or others).

Thank you so much for any input you might have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 04:00PM by The_Skycutter.
June 18, 2012 10:46AM
With darkforce manipulation can I create a suit of armor that is also a gateway? If I could wouldn't all attacks just pass into the gateway?
July 08, 2012 04:47AM
Hi David, long time player first time caller. If I am building an armor suit, how do I outfit it with relatively mundane devices, like a flash light, police scanner, short wave radio, 38 in the glove box or a video camera? Are these simply things I buy with a resource FEAT and configure or do they cost me pts in creation.
Always wondered about that.

Thanks
July 08, 2012 07:30AM
I would have figured the flash light, police scanner, short wave radio and video camera would have been determined are character creation. A gun could be, too, unless you wanted a 38 specifically.
Re: Tigerfaced God
July 11, 2012 05:29PM
You're not looking to add anything fancy, so I'd just assume you bought the parts at the hardware store and worked them into your suit as you were building it. RileyV was right on the moolah.

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
August 07, 2012 04:41PM
Strictly preference question David: Super villain plans to take over and has a small army to terrorize people and slow down the heroes. Aesthetically, would you have lizard people armed with melee weapons, talking gorillas with guns or 50's style robots with vacuum cleaner arms and death rays?
Re: Tigger
August 09, 2012 10:51AM
Tigerfaced God Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Strictly preference question David: Super villain
> plans to take over and has a small army to
> terrorize people and slow down the heroes.
> Aesthetically, would you have lizard people armed
> with melee weapons, talking gorillas with guns or
> 50's style robots with vacuum cleaner arms and
> death rays?

All three are good, but for sheer mindnumbing shock and terror I'd go with Lizard People Armed with Melee Wepons.
Talking Gorillas with guns would make folks wonder if there was another PLANET OF THE APES sequel being shot.
The 50s style Roots armed with DeathRays....... Are you thinking of TARGET EARTH ? Good small-scale alien invasion flick from '54 starring the underappreciated Richard Denning and of course yet another appearance by Whit Bissell as a scientist !

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 10:52AM by DavidEMartin.
August 10, 2012 11:19AM
You got the robots dead on. Cardboard panted silver washing machine looking stuff, I was thinking specifically of the Mysterious Dr, Satan/Copperhead serials from the 30's, not even as cool as the Bela Lugosi movie/serials The Phantom Creeps. I love 30's sci-fi/horror.

For the apes I would shoot more for a Beasts of Berlin feel, but the Planet of the Apes would be pretty hard to shake.

Thanks for the input, big, crazy lizards with gladiator weapons it is.
August 22, 2012 05:23PM
Hello

How does regeneration work? With thr upb reduceing time. Is it just rank divided by ten a rd healed? Thank you for everyones time.
August 22, 2012 05:26PM
Gorger Wrote:
> Hello
>
> How does regeneration work? With thr upb
> reduceing time. Is it just rank divided by ten a
> rd healed? Thank you for everyones time.

No, the rank number divides the normal time required to heal to get the faster rate. Normal healing is a daily/24hr recovery rate of Health, so you divide 24hrs by the Rank number of Regeneration to determine how quickly you gain health back. A high enough rank and you recover health in minutes rather than hours.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
October 06, 2012 12:06PM
Hey smiling smiley

I was just wondering if you'd managed to find anything on Longevity yet?

"This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' ... and I'll whisper 'no.'" - Rorschach
October 12, 2012 07:00PM
Question about Absorption power. It states that the hero heals his power rank each time he is exposed to an energy. Is this correct or does it work more like the power from the Player's Book. If it works as written, Absorption of Electricity is awesome since one could just plug into a power outlet and repair at a hugely superior rate to anything else! Imagine if one had RM(26) Electricity Absorption and he plugged into a wall outlet (TY intesnity). He'd heal 26 points of damage per 10 seconds, as long as he was plugged in.

October 19, 2012 02:10AM
barna10 Wrote:
> Question about Absorption power. It states that
> the hero heals his power rank each time he is
> exposed to an energy. Is this correct or does it
> work more like the power from the Player's Book.
> If it works as written, Absorption of Electricity
> is awesome since one could just plug into a power
> outlet and repair at a hugely superior rate to
> anything else! Imagine if one had RM(26)
> Electricity Absorption and he plugged into a wall
> outlet (TY intesnity). He'd heal 26 points of
> damage per 10 seconds, as long as he was plugged
> in.

It makes more sense to assume that someone missed that the text didn't say "up to" than it does to assume that you can absorb more energy than is available from the source, ja?

also (i thought) a round is roughly 6 secs...which seems like nitpicking, but -if your take on the way it works is correct- at 6 secs per round, in 30 secs you'd have two extra rounds and would absorb 130 health instead of 78.
October 19, 2012 07:21AM
Brotherless_one Wrote:

> It makes more sense to assume that someone missed
> that the text didn't say "up to" than it does to
> assume that you can absorb more energy than is
> available from the source, ja?
>
> also (i thought) a round is roughly 6 secs...which
> seems like nitpicking, but -if your take on the
> way it works is correct- at 6 secs per round, in
> 30 secs you'd have two extra rounds and would
> absorb 130 health instead of 78.

Correct, brainfarted on time.

I'd tend to agree with you, but I'd still like a definitive answer. Common sense is not always correct!

The text reads: "The hero gains a number of Health points equal his Power rank number each time he is hit by his specific form of absorbable energy."

If it was worded differently, I would think someone missed a word or to, but using the word "equal" seems to discount that. So, it's either really poorly worded, or the intent is much different than the Absorption power from the Advanced Player's Book.

October 19, 2012 08:44AM
barna10 Wrote:
> Brotherless_one Wrote:
>
> > It makes more sense to assume that someone
> missed
> > that the text didn't say "up to" than it does
> to
> > assume that you can absorb more energy than is
> > available from the source, ja?
> >
> > also (i thought) a round is roughly 6
> secs...which
> > seems like nitpicking, but -if your take on the
> > way it works is correct- at 6 secs per round,
> in
> > 30 secs you'd have two extra rounds and would
> > absorb 130 health instead of 78.
>
> Correct, brainfarted on time.
>
> I'd tend to agree with you, but I'd still like a
> definitive answer. Common sense is not always
> correct!
>
> The text reads: "The hero gains a number of Health
> points equal his Power rank number each time he is
> hit by his specific form of absorbable energy."
>
> If it was worded differently, I would think
> someone missed a word or to, but using the word
> "equal" seems to discount that. So, it's either
> really poorly worded, or the intent is much
> different than the Absorption power from the
> Advanced Player's Book.

Go with poorly worded, no way David intended someone with Unearthly Absorption Power to gain 100 health from a Feeble rank attack.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
October 19, 2012 09:15AM
Nightmask Wrote:

> Go with poorly worded, no way David intended
> someone with Unearthly Absorption Power to gain
> 100 health from a Feeble rank attack.

I would think so, just wanted to make sure before I edit the text.

October 19, 2012 11:05AM
We found the new reboot power for Wolverine. That's how he survived the nuclear explosion. tongue sticking out smiley drinking smiley
October 24, 2012 12:09PM
What reboot power does he have?
October 25, 2012 02:00AM
Being able to survive at the heart of a nuclear explosion by healing. It's more powerful than self-revival. Early wolverine couldn't do that. It's basically serial immortality-spontaneous creation.
October 25, 2012 08:33AM
So unkillable and deadly. That makes a great combo!!
So short of dispersing his molecules like the Beyonder or Molecue Man can, he goos to go
October 25, 2012 09:49PM
Yeah, at some point, he would have to go through another mutation...again.
October 25, 2012 10:42PM
Just chain him up and shoot him into space. It doesnt matter how fast you heal if you are off planet and in the void.
He could heal/regenerate forever as he drifts away with no way to get back and constantly sufficates/freezes. Just
plot a non-intersecting course and have Juggy toss him. While I used to be a Wolvie fan the over-hyped abomination
they have turned him into is yet another reason I dont read comics any more. Sorry, will stop venting now.

Formerly YourHumbleServant

2 things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the universe ~Albert Einstein

People who advocate foolish or dangerous ideas should not be forcibly silenced, but only as a testament to the greatness of the principle of liberty, NOT because the ideas they advocate have any merit whatsoever. ~Thomas Jefferson

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience ~ Mark Twain

Lady Gaga makes Miley Cyrus look like John Lennon ~ Chris Titus

Government that is big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have..History shows that as government grows..liberty decreases. ~ Thomas Jefferson
October 26, 2012 01:37AM
The sun could work, too.
October 31, 2012 07:12PM
So who actually owns the IP of the rasrip system?
translation?
November 03, 2012 08:59AM
"the IP of the rasrip system" ???

"You will know pain,
Then you will know fear,
And then you will die.
Have a nice flight."

[www.facebook.com]
[www.renderosity.com]
[www.flickr.com]
Re: translation?
November 03, 2012 10:31AM
FASERIP
Most gaming companies register the system they use so it become Intellectual. Property. IP usually get renewed
Normally, the company owns such, but Marvel was a licensed product to TSR. So who owns it?

It possible that ownership has lapsed as well
Re: translation?
November 03, 2012 11:27PM
If it hasn't lapsed, I'd guess Marvel owns it. However, they don't make any money on it anymore, so they might have let it go.
November 04, 2012 04:13AM
I wouldn't think Marvel owns it. It was created by TSR using characters licensed from Marvel. If anyone were to own the FASERIP system, I'd think it was Wizards of the Coast who bought TSR, but the sale may or may not covered all of their game properties. Maybe they did get it but ignored it because they couldn't get the licensed characters.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 24
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.