Character Write-Up Request Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Character Write-Up Request Thread
September 19, 2015 10:21PM
how about few alternate (i.e. actually interesting and clever for a change!) vampire characters?

Eli from Let the right one in
Jesus Gris from and the Cronos device

speaking of old horror films... did anyone ever stat up The Thing ?

for a more recent horror film, I watched Oculus not to long ago - I'm surprised it didn't get a better reception, I found it genuinely creepy and really enjoyed it. anyway the mirror spirit in that would be a great adversary for anyone! (here is a question for you - how would the Mirror Master cope with the Oculus Mirror?)
September 21, 2015 02:43AM
Wow, good ideas! I didn't do Eli, but LTROI was on my list a few years ago, might have to go back to it grinning smiley

As for the Thing, I did a write-up for the Carpenter one several years ago:

[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

I thought I had written up the 1950s version, I couldn't find it...but it's worth looking at again.

We just watched Occulus, and I agree!
September 21, 2015 04:57AM
Good effort at the Thing! - it really is a tricky one to make rules for.
October 06, 2015 04:58AM
Halloween is coming around, and my group's scheduled gathering just happens to fall on Halloween this year. Personally, I think that calls for something... special.

Are there stats anywhere for the true Lord of the Vampires --Varnae? cool smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
October 06, 2015 06:50AM
Thrud,

Gamers Handbook of the Marvel Universe 4 (Serpent Society thru Zzzax) has a msh writeup for Varnae under its Vampires entry.

And while not MSH but DC Heroes instead, here's a writeup for Varnae from WORG: Varnae

Here's WORG's Dracula writeup, for a sense of comparison: Dracula
October 06, 2015 10:53AM
The stats for Varnae in the Gamer's Handbook is very underwhelming. He's weaker than Dracula (except in physical strength which he has a +1CS advantage), and doesn't live up to his description in his Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe entry which describes him as having superhuman strength, speed, stamina, agility, and reflexes while the Gamer's Handbook stats show his agility and reflexes are below average for humans (at Poor rank).

I'll check out the other source, though. thumbs up cool smiley

[ Edit ]

So, I'm comparing the two Varnae to Dracula at writeups.org and looking at the FASERIP stats, and I just see additional inconsistencies. For example, Dracula has a Good Reason while Varnae's is listed as Typical. However, writeups.org has Dracula's Intelligence at 6 and and Varnae's at 10. Varnae has Invulnerability at 20, while Dracula's is only 19... negligible, I know. Both have the vampirism power, but Dracula's has a score of 12 and Varnae only 8.

I have to admit that I don't know enough about the DC Heroes system to know how to read the stats, but just from casual observation of stats for both, it seems like both sets (official in Gamer's Handbook and unofficial at Writeups.org) seem like guesses... and not necessarily even best guesses.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2015 11:33AM by Thrudjelmer.
October 06, 2015 12:32PM
A "quick and dirty" way to roughly gauge DC Heroes' AP ratings in relation to MSH ranks is to multiply the AP rating x5 to find a rank number in MSH and then use the base rank or perhaps -1cs as a guideline. Using that rough idea, Drac's 6ap Int might place him in EX rank, while Varnae's 10ap is more likely IN rank (by the strict x5 guideline, they'd be RM and AM respectively, but I don't think either rates that high).

Admittedly, both of their stats at WORG are likely outdated, but the folks there try to make best estimates based on available comic displays. In Varnae's case, that can include some of his ancient appearances vs. Conan.

I think 2 of the key things to take away from Varnae's WORG writeup are 1) He's not bothered by any "modern" holy symbols such as those of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc., as he greatly predates the establishment of those faiths (only holy symbols of Pre-Cataclysm faiths can affect him).. And 2) He's a fairly accomplished sorcerer, likely in necromancy and other dark arts; possibly able to wield numerous magics at RM to IN rank

..and a possible #3) Being able to possess another vampire, he could prove elusive in being directly confronted
October 06, 2015 12:59PM
When researching less used characters, I always start at The Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe. When they have an entry, they have a fairly comprehensive listing of the character's appearances and describe what the abilities are, though what intensity isn't always clear. The only clear statistic from their website would be his Strength, since Varnae is described as being able lift 7 tons... a lot more than Dracula with his Remarkable.

My feeling, though, is that where ever Dracula differs from normal vampires, Varnae should still outrank Dracula since the reason Dracula had the extra power as Lord of the Vampires is because Varnae bestowed it upon him. Did he give him everything he had? Doubtful. What evil creature ever willingly surrenders all that it is to it's successor?

October 07, 2015 05:41AM
I wasn't familiar with Varnae. What issues has he appeared in?

October 07, 2015 06:50AM
A comprehensive history of his appearances can be found here:

[www.marvunapp.com] cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2015 06:51AM by Thrudjelmer.
October 29, 2015 11:27PM
Hi all, does anyone have any ideas or a write up for Icabod Crane from the current Sleepy Hollow?

Cheers.
December 06, 2015 12:39PM
Hi everyone! Hope you are surviving the Christmas season, mine is turning pretty bad...

I was wondering if anyone has done or could do Amethyst / Gem World statistics?
February 21, 2016 04:15AM
Has anyone done, and if not would anyone be interested in taking a stab at, Nina Price aka Vampire by Night?

March 23, 2016 07:30PM
How about writing up the characters in the 1970s film Logan's Run?
Conan
May 23, 2016 07:24AM
Has anyone done a write up for Conan?
August 06, 2016 09:02AM
Somebody needs to do a write up for Bollywood's Singham. cool smiley

September 03, 2016 04:38AM
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find stats for Sparx from the 1993 DC Annual Event known as "Bloodlines"?

Ty Stats did a great job stating the huge cast of new characters, but Sparx from the "Adventures of Superman Annual #5" is missing or did I just pass over her without seeing her listing?

Reinhardt: Ahh, you kids today with your techno music! You should enjoy the classics, like Hasselhoff!
Lúcio: I can’t even take you seriously right now.
September 19, 2016 03:50AM
Someone should do a write-up for Paperinik, the super-heroic ID for Donald Duck (a popular rendition of him in Italy).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
September 22, 2016 07:56AM
Howdy All;

I have more than a few outstanding write-ups from last Halloween, but I plan to begin a few new ones shortly for this Halloween....something stranger....something repeated....and something supernatural....

If you have any requests, I'll gladly take them. I'm working to get things squared and began writing up a few little things already.

Hope all is well...and Happy Pre-Halloween!
September 22, 2016 11:41AM
In honor of the new Phantasm movie coming out (Phantasm: Ravager), how about The Tall Man and his minions, the Lurkers ("dwarves"), the Gravers (gasmask-wearing mooks), and the Sentinels (spheres)?

Be Ex/20 to each other.
September 22, 2016 11:51AM
In honor of the new season of Supernatural starting next month, how about God and The Darkness from season 11?

September 23, 2016 01:29AM
I did the Tall Man the first year I did the Halloween write-ups, with sentinel spheres (Phantasm is one of my favorite horror films grinning smiley)

The link:
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

I should go back and add the dwarves, and I have plans for Reggie.....
September 25, 2016 05:27PM
How about the strigoi from The Strain?

Be Ex/20 to each other.
September 26, 2016 09:31AM
the_hammer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find
> stats for Sparx from the 1993 DC Annual Event
> known as "Bloodlines"?
>
> Ty Stats did a great job stating the huge cast of
> new characters, but Sparx from the "Adventures of
> Superman Annual #5" is missing or did I just pass
> over her without seeing her listing?

I guess somehow I just missed doing that character. I have all the annuals. I did those stats almost 20 years ago.

September 29, 2016 03:02PM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about the strigoi from The
> Strain
?

I did the Strigoi about two years ago, and I also did the pre-reveal of Abraham Setrakian about the same time:

The Strigoi

Abraham Setrakian
December 16, 2016 10:22AM
I have a nice list of cool characters to be added: Woodgod, Paladin, White Tiger, Ani-men, Molten Man, Human Fly, Jester, Gladiator (old Daredevil Villain), The Recorder, The Sleeper, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Shredder and Splinter, Steel Serpent (old Iron Fist Villain), and many others... I would KILL to be able to insert them on the OLD Characters list. Here's to Hoping. Yay
February 08, 2017 08:37PM
Has anyone done a Jane foster Thor?
May 02, 2017 04:09AM
Can anyone point me at a write up for Spitfire from The Invaders? Thanks in advance.
May 02, 2017 11:51AM
Steveraceuk
Can anyone point me at a write up for Spitfire from The Invaders? Thanks in advance.

Spitfire

May 02, 2017 12:10PM
Brilliant, thanks for the steer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 10
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.