Re: Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread
January 31, 2014 08:53AM
Baron von Poopy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi everybody.
> So I used to play with my buddies in high school
> back in the late 80s. Is was one of the few RPGs I
> really liked (otherwise it was table top war
> gaming like Btech, 40K, Squad Leader).
>
> So, twenty plus years later I'm introducing my
> nephews to pen and paper games. Having them build
> a group of friends and I'll run a campaign for
> them of original characters.

Welcome to the Forum baron!!!
January 31, 2014 01:52PM
And hello to everyone I missed! So many people are joining lately, a good thing ofcourse, and some of you slipped by my radar. Glad you're all here.
February 16, 2014 03:48PM
Greetings all!

I suppose I've put the cart before the horse here, as I've already posted a couple times in the forum elsewhere. At any rate...

I've been interested in RPGs for a while now, starting with computer games in the late 90's (Deus Ex anyone?) and then eventually, in the early aughts, GURPS (by way of looking to make my Heroscaping more interesting with the hex-combat). That'd be 3e, for those keeping track. It opened up a whole new world for me, so to speak, and I've been grabbing all I can ever since. My gaming experience is almost entirely in the play-by-post format as I live in rural New England and I don't think I could find a party of five people of any age to RP in these parts. I've GM'd my fair share, mostly Star Wars SAGA with some others here and there. I've limited experience with MSH as I had to back away from the two (great) games I finally made it into because of life throwing me some curves. I still make roll characters fairly often and try to squander my hours with Mythic GME and various systems under the heading "Creative Writing".

While I've never owned very many comics, I've always been a fan of Marvel. X-Men and Spidey especially. I had a friend a couple years ago that had me look through a couple boxes of his comics from the early nineties to see if they could fetch anything online. Oh my word, was that fun. I read the first dozen or so issues of Deathlok, experienced Namor, Punisher, and Cable for the first time. Good stuff. I find myself enjoying fringe characters, more of a support role in a party rather than the main powerhouse. I recently rolled up what turned out to be an Inhuman and I'm anxious to Mythic him through some Nightmares of Future Past (my favorite setting by far), and it may be possible to get involved in another game if I spot the right one around the Internetz... I'm by no means an expert with the system though, and am always looking to learn all the things that I never knew I never knew.

Cheers!
-BW
February 16, 2014 10:50PM
BWS2K Wrote:
> Greetings all!
>
> I suppose I've put the cart before the horse here,
> as I've already posted a couple times in the forum
> elsewhere. At any rate...

Don't worry about it. We don't stand on ceremony around here.

And welcome to the forum. thumbs up cool smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2014 10:52PM by Thrudjelmer.
February 17, 2014 08:42AM
welcome to this circle of "like" Minded Individuals!! heh

Here we explore anything and everything that can be put into stats, to what if, to "Hypothesizing" what the reasoning of those who were writing.
February 17, 2014 12:03PM
Hey BW, Welcome to the forum! I would think there'd be a lot of Call of Cthulhu games going on up there. <winking smiley Star Wars is great but I haven't played the Saga version yet. Someday maybe.
February 17, 2014 03:50PM
Thanks all!

No, there's not much of anyone in my neighborhood that plays anything really. The Saga games were all online and both my first and greatest time GMing, hands down. I ran a number of solo threads with the intent of weaving them together. It worked, for those that stuck with it. I had -so- much fun. I rolled a character, Roborilla, for a MSH game recently (but had to step down just as things were heating up) and I'm desperately trying to bring him back to life. I rarely get so excited about a character that I can't sleep. smiling smiley

Not a lot of gaming going on here though, or am I missing it?

Anyway. Glad to be here. See ya 'round!

-BW
February 18, 2014 04:54AM
Welcome to the treads both of you. Enjoy your stay in our crazy neck of the woods

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
February 21, 2014 10:06AM
Welcome BW. Some of us 'old timers' don't post a whole lot, but we do lurk around
and pop in from time to time, if mostly just to read and stuff!

Cheers,

Niniri

March 27, 2014 08:07AM
Hi all . . . newbie here . . . been lurking on and off for a few years now, the need to obtain a Hi-Rez copy of ThatArtGuys Super-Mondo Judges Screen necessitated finally signing up . . .better late than never, as they say.

A little background/history as seems to be the norm here. I've been role-playing on and off now for close to 35 years. I got started with the red Moldvay Basic D&D set (actually, the Blue Expert set was purchased first, until I realized you needed the Basic Set first . . . I thought I was bright enough to be an "Expert" player right off the bat). That quickly led into 1st Edition AD&D, and avalanched from there. I had a copy of pretty much every core game TSR put out at the time (i.e: Boot Hill, Top Secret, Star Frontiers, Gangbusters, Gamma World, etc.), and a smattering of modules for each, but I was always more of a make up my own settings/adventures kinda guy (for some reason, it was decided amongst my group of friends, that I was to be the de facto GM), so the modules weren't strictly necessary. Around that same time frame (early 80's), a friend got his hands on both Champions I (as it was known then . . . and Champions II as I recall) and V&V. Super hero role-playing had arrived for us, and we pretty much abandoned all others (for a good amount of time anyway). V&V was probably my favorite, with mechanics not too far removed from standard D&D, and the concept of playing ones-self as a super-hero was pretty cool for an early-teens kid. Champions, while more sophisticated, was too much work for me. All that number crunching kinda zapped the fun out of the game for me. Then it arrived . . . that bright yellow box . . . with all those familiar characters bursting out of the front cover . . . the Gods of Role-Playing Games (i.e. TSR) had entered the super-heroic role-playing arena, and they hit it out of the park. Here were all of our favorite Marvel Super Heroes ready for prime time. We had futilely tried to emulate our favorite Marvel/DC heroes with V&V and Champions, but here was the entire Marvel Unviverse laid out for us in the context of a super simple, mechanically appropriate game system. We played the Original Set, and then the Advanced Game, so much in the next few years that burn-out was inevitable. As we approached high school, the idea of playing super heroes, in the context of a role-playing game, seemed so . . . juvenile. By this time we were gravitating towards more "adult" themes in our RPG's . . . Twilight:2000, Traveller, revisiting AD&D (before 2nd edition ruined that), Call of Cthulhu, MERP. The Supers games were put away to languish for years. After high school, the group fell apart, as often happens, and life responsibilities and families took the place of our "childish ways". I continued gaming a bit through the years, finding other groups here and there, but nothing on the level that I had in my formative years. Slowly in the last few years or so, the gaming bug has bit me a again, and having a little more free time hasn't hurt either. Besides a festering boardgame obsession, breaking out some of the old RPG favorites has also occured. I'm currently attempting to get an "Old School" 1st Edition AD&D game running, as well as slowly picking away at a Call of Cthulhu game. Thanks to Marvel Studios, and their blockbuster movies, there has been a rumbling that some of my folks wouldn't mind trying their hand at some Super-Hero role-playing. I still have V&V, and a few itterations of Champions/HERO games in my collection . . . I have the old Mayfair DC Heroes someplace too . . . but I figure, if everyone's digging on the Marvel movies, why not bring out the obvious choice. I know there have been other attempts at the Marvel Universe in a role-playing context (that SAGA version and even Marvels own MURPG), but I own and know the Original MSH game so well that it's a no-brainer. MSH it is!

So, thats where I am today, and I guess why I've finally manned-up and actually registered here. This is such an incredible resource for one of my all-time favorite games, and the community is friendly and as equally enthralled with MSH as I am, I figured it was best to just dive right in. I look forward to posting tidibits here and there, and I look forward to the support of the community. I'm glad to be here!
March 27, 2014 08:48AM
Welcome to the jungle! grinning smiley

March 27, 2014 10:00AM
Ahh, Star Frontiers... I remember that game.

Welcome to the forum! thumbs up smileys with beer

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
March 27, 2014 01:45PM
welcome to the forum Drums!!!
March 27, 2014 03:19PM
Greetings and welcome, measuredrums smiling smiley
March 30, 2014 12:10PM
Greetings True Believers!

I've been roleplaying since D&D red box and running games just as long for whatever group I encountered. Middle school, high shool, military, ect., ect. D&D, to AD&D, to Space Opera, Star Frontiers, Traveller, Twilight 2000, Elfquest, The Fantasy Trip, Stormbringer, Champions, Villains & Vigilantes, & MSH. Way too many games but great times.

After a decade-long VG break, returned to ttrpgs, running GURPS, CoC, a few FGU systems & AD&D 3rd. Then another break that lasted years. Returned to ttrpgs five yrs ago w/ M&M 2nd, then 3rd. Shied from D&D 3.5 & Pathfinder finding a safe place with superhero rpgs. After seeing what I didn't like w/ M&M moved back to my personal fav TSR's MSH Advanced (tweaked).

Been stalking this site for years even before it had a fully-functional forum feature (!) as this. The forum input was exceptional and kept MSH at the forefront of not only my superhero gaming systems, but also as a generic system for any game I ran. Noticed the great appreciation for this system among gamers via online responses on various sites and decided to join the forum. Officially.

Expect more, like PbP player requests.

Excelsior!

"We aren't here to rule. We aren't here to bring Chaos or Anarchy. We're here to end the Reign of Criminals .....

..... This is only the Beginning. Tyrants, your days are numbered. You can't fight us---and you can't find us. We strike like Lightning---and we melt into the night like Ghosts."
FTJ
March 30, 2014 02:25PM
Welcome to the new non-lurkers. smiling smiley Jump right into the action!

I miss Gene.

All-New Future Force (BASH! UE)
Marvel MC2 builds for BASH! Ultimate Edition

"Now, before I slay you all, behold my master plan!" — The Mole Man, Fantastic Four #1
March 30, 2014 04:20PM
The New Non-Lurkers... sounds like it would be a weird superhero team.

March 31, 2014 07:32AM
welcome to the forum Unearthly!
May 15, 2014 07:08AM
I invited a whole lot of peepsw from the facebook group 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, who we are all chatting about Marvel. I hope some come and join us!
May 15, 2014 10:47AM
MajorSteel Wrote:
> I invited a whole lot of peepsw from the facebook
> group 1st Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, who
> we are all chatting about Marvel. I hope some come
> and join us!

As do I, always nice to see new members around!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 07, 2014 09:54AM
Hi All,

NikMak Here.

I have been playing MSH rules (often significantly distilled at home) off and on and after a hiatus of a decade or more I am currently introducing a new generation of gamers who love supers games to the world of FASE-RIP. I cant tell you how pleased I was to learn about this site.

This is a fantastic resource for a working GM with family - thanks for all your hard work; which I am blatantly ripping off for my newest bunch of heroes! smiling smiley

Cheers

Nick
July 07, 2014 12:13PM
NikMak Wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> NikMak Here.
>
> I have been playing MSH rules (often significantly
> distilled at home) off and on and after a hiatus
> of a decade or more I am currently introducing a
> new generation of gamers who love supers games to
> the world of FASE-RIP. I cant tell you how
> pleased I was to learn about this site.
>
>
> This is a fantastic resource for a working GM with
> family - thanks for all your hard work; which I am
> blatantly ripping off for my newest bunch of
> heroes! smiling smiley
>
> Cheers
>
> Nick

Welcome to the site Nick, glad to have you here!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 07, 2014 04:34PM
Greetings, NikMak smiling smiley Welcome to the site. We hope you continue to find much here to spark your interest.
July 10, 2014 06:35AM
welcome to the forum NikMak!!
September 10, 2014 04:53AM
So I just registered, came here because of the Java based character generator and decided to create an account. Have always liked the Marvel comic universe the best and one of our gaming group is going to run a Marvel campaign!
September 10, 2014 08:02AM
Welcome aboard, sir. thumbs up cool smiley

September 11, 2014 11:47AM
Welcome john Prime
what loot you're bringing us?
smiling smiley
October 08, 2014 02:53AM
I'm back. About 6 years ago I tried to become an active member of this community.
Unfortunately a series of family tragedies and a few other events sent me into a very severe depression.
It's taken a lot to fight my way back to where I am now.

A quick update:
My family has expanded. We have a 4 year old boy.

Have to go for now. The only internet I have is a cheap, not so smart phone. And it's starting to overheat.
October 08, 2014 07:02AM
Welcome back. Glad to see things have improved for you, and I hope your visits here will be enjoyable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 35
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.