Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread
December 19, 2015 11:38AM
Hello peeps!!

been in hibernation for a bit, but i hop on here now and then. See what is what.
April 25, 2016 03:31PM
Hello. I'm El Sijo (SEE-ho) from Puerto Rico, long-life fan of- well, everything that's fantastic, especially superheroes. Back in the 80's I bought the original Marvel RPG and several of its sourcebooks (The Fantastic Four and Ultimate Powers were my favorites.) Recently, I came to "buy" (it's actually free) the "new" game FASERIP (which someone told me was originally called Phaserip) and it rekindled my interest in the original. Someone at the BASH Facebook page (where I often hang out) told me about this place, so I decided to drop by, and now, officially join.

You have an amazing site here! I expect to enjoy it. And maybe, I can contribute to it, as well. smiling smiley
April 25, 2016 04:59PM
Welcome, El Sijo smiling smiley
April 25, 2016 11:02PM
welcome!

all contributions are welcome as well smiling smiley
June 02, 2016 07:44PM
Hi folks!

I've been playing MSH pretty much since 1986, off and on, though I haven't had a play group for a long, long time... pretty much since the turn of the century now that I think about it. I still love the game and have recently started playing again with my cousin over Skype. I like what you folks have put together here.
June 03, 2016 12:58AM
Welcome smiling smiley
June 12, 2016 01:33PM
Ok, looks like I registered on these forums quite a while back but never posted an intro. Anyway, I'm a long term RPG player. Since before dice were included in the Basic D&D set (where's my walker). I've played Champions and MSH "back in the day" when they were still being published. I can't list all the other RPGs I've played, I've probably forgotten quite a few.

I just had a couple of questions. I noticed there are multiple versions of the books on this site, corrected Advanced Judge's Book, Skycutter's Judge's Book, and the Expert Net Edition Judges book for example. Are there any significant differences in these books? And I was also wondering if there is list of character creation steps?
June 12, 2016 03:10PM
Greetings!

Look in the advanced set (any) for a list of character creation steps (pretty simple process). Look starting on page 4 of the Advanced Players Book.

Then there's a more detailed version in the Ultimate powers Book, but that can come after re-familiarizing with the rules.

The various other editions aren't necessary to play the game and are really just tweaks of the main rules. Some clarify some things, others add other more ranks (mainly between AM(50), MN(75), and UN(100), often referred to as the Expert Rank set).

Also, there's a quite good...well pretty awesome if you ask me smiling smiley ... character creator called the JMCC that provides on click character generation...by some guy named barna10...see my signature for the latest version

June 12, 2016 04:42PM
Yes, I've already downloaded and tried out your character generation program. I've had a lot of fun creating random characters. It is great! Character generation programs always make life easier! smiling smiley
September 20, 2016 06:07AM
The stars are right!

The words have been said!

(Mostly...)

Doktor Archeville has returned!
September 20, 2016 12:13PM
Welcome back. smileys with beer

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
September 20, 2016 12:26PM
Dr Archeville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The stars are right!
>
> The words have been said!
>
> (Mostly...)
>
> Doktor Archeville has returned!

To think just this weekend I was looking back at the archives checking the last ons of some of the posters and noticing how many years you hadn't been around and wondering what happened to you. Welcome back!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
September 20, 2016 12:45PM
Welcome back, Doc Archeville grinning smiley
September 20, 2016 02:48PM
Nightmask Wrote:
>
> To think just this weekend I was looking back at
> the archives checking the last ons of some of the
> posters and noticing how many years you hadn't
> been around and wondering what happened to you.
> Welcome back!

It was you! You summoned me from my eternal slumber!

What happened to me? Let's see...
Got married, got my BA in English, devoted more time to Freedom City Play-by-Post (a Mutants & Masterminds board) as both player and Admin, helped the library I work in move to a different (and much cooler) building.
Then I separated from my wife (we had far too little in common and it took us to long to realize that), moved into an apartment with a gaming buddy & his fiancee (they were married a few months later), got into Pathfinder (both home games with my roommates & PF Society games at local game shopper), attended my first Dragon Con. Got to watch some Classic Doctor Who eps with my fave Doctor, Sylvester McCoy!
Also got big into tumblr. Still on there a lot, I think it's my favorite form of social media (for now).
Then, in the space of six months (Sep 2013-Feb 2014), my dog (husky/lab we'd had for seventeen years) had to be put to sleep, my divorce was finalized (amicably), I was laid off from the library job I'd held for fourteen years (due to budget cuts; 50 others were also let go), and my roommates and our - well, their - friends all abandoned me, so I lost the apartment and had to move back in with family.
(My "Country & Western" period: I lost my my job, my wife, my friends, my home, and my dog.)
And I dropped off from FB PbP, selling it to one of the moderators; it's still quite active, and I'm happy for that.
After two years of job hunting (over 500 applications and around 50 interviews), I finally landed a gig as an insurance agent with Aflac, which has proven... challenging. But it has potential, so I'm trying to stay positive. Still keeping an eye out for any library openings, though.
September 20, 2016 04:07PM
As I am recently re-employed after a period of hardship, I know the struggle, so let me congratulate you on weathering it and wish you luck in moving forward. thumbs up cool smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 08, 2016 06:30AM
Sorry that was late when I come to post my first message, and I don't take time for presenting Myself.
So sorry for that.
I'm Joël, I'm French (Close to Paris, lucky me ^^), I have 40 years old (Gloups, time pass so quickly).
I'm a Marvel Reader since 1991 in french, then I read comics in English in 1999 and never return to french version (With some work exception).
I'm a role player since 1995. I have try Marvel Univers RPG, then Marvel Heroic RPG, but never find what I seek for a super-heroes Game.
I never understand a thing to the Mutant & Mastermind rules ... So One day I find the Box for MSH & Now it's time to open up & give him his chance.
I'm a librarian. I have the luck to handle the Science-Fiction/Fantastic/Heroic Fantasy novel adults section et Comics (European, America in french, Japanes, and even Boock in the original language) for both Adults & Kids.
Thanks you by advance for all you can share. And sorry for my weird english.
December 08, 2016 07:51AM
Slobo Wrote:
> Sorry that was late when I come to post my first m
> essage, and I don't take time for presenting Mysel
> f.
> So sorry for that.
> I'm Joël, I'm French (Close to Paris, lucky me ^^)
> , I have 40 years old (Gloups, time pass so quickl
> y).
> I'm a Marvel Reader since 1991 in french, then I r
> ead comics in English in 1999 and never return to
> french version (With some work exception).
> I'm a role player since 1995. I have try Marvel Un
> ivers RPG, then Marvel Heroic RPG, but never find
> what I seek for a super-heroes Game.
> I never understand a thing to the Mutant & Masterm
> ind rules ... So One day I find the Box for MSH &
> Now it's time to open up & give him his chance.
> I'm a librarian. I have the luck to handle the Sci
> ence-Fiction/Fantastic/Heroic Fantasy novel adults
> section et Comics (European, America in french, Ja
> panes, and even Boock in the original language) fo
> r both Adults & Kids.
> Thanks you by advance for all you can share. And s
> orry for my weird english.

Glad to have you here and don't worry about the English it's WAY better than my French (3 years of it in highschool and can't manage better than 'oui' or 'je m'apelle Nightmask').

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
December 08, 2016 07:54AM
Welcome, Slobo smiling smiley

And your English is fine. The English language itself is weird. winking smiley
December 16, 2016 08:49PM
Slobo
Sorry that was late when I come to post my first message, and I don't take time for presenting Myself.
So sorry for that.
I'm Joël, I'm French (Close to Paris, lucky me ^^), I have 40 years old (Gloups, time pass so quickly).
I'm a Marvel Reader since 1991 in french, then I read comics in English in 1999 and never return to french version (With some work exception).
I'm a role player since 1995. I have try Marvel Univers RPG, then Marvel Heroic RPG, but never find what I seek for a super-heroes Game.
I never understand a thing to the Mutant & Mastermind rules ... So One day I find the Box for MSH & Now it's time to open up & give him his chance.
I'm a librarian. I have the luck to handle the Science-Fiction/Fantastic/Heroic Fantasy novel adults section et Comics (European, America in french, Japanes, and even Boock in the original language) for both Adults & Kids.
Thanks you by advance for all you can share. And sorry for my weird english.

Bienvenue!

Inquiètez-vous pas! Vous écrivez assez bien en anglais pour communiquer ici. Si jamais vous avez des questions, laissez-moi savoir et je peux vous aider.
December 16, 2016 11:33PM
Oui, nous ferons de notre mieux pour vous aider.

December 17, 2016 04:23AM
Welcome Captain Knucklehead!

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever introduced myself either. Hey everybody! I'm a big time Marvel rpg fan and have been looking for other like minded gamers who play in a similar style, for a game or even just to chat about the game. Glad to see some people still loving on this game!
December 17, 2016 12:48PM
Wendell_Burke

Come to think of it, I don't think I ever introduced myself either. Hey everybody! I'm a big time Marvel rpg fan and have been looking for other like minded gamers who play in a similar style, for a game or even just to chat about the game. Glad to see some people still loving on this game!

Thanks, Wendell. I've been running a Skype/Roll20 game for several months now. Completely self-contained universe, unrelated to anything else, so up-to-date comic stats aren't ever an issue. Everything is 100% player generated (though one of the principal characters is a souped-up Daredevil analogue). It's nice to flex the creative muscles again.
December 18, 2016 10:30AM
Captain Knucklehead
Wendell_Burke

Thanks, Wendell. I've been running a Skype/Roll20 game for several months now. Completely self-contained universe, unrelated to anything else, so up-to-date comic stats aren't ever an issue. Everything is 100% player generated (though one of the principal characters is a souped-up Daredevil analogue). It's nice to flex the creative muscles again.

I bet! You should post a link to your game! It would be neat to check it out.
December 22, 2016 02:59PM
Figured i would throw in an introduction. Long time Marvel RPG player, it was actually my first RPG I ever played. D&D was taboo at my house, and the "Karma" stat in Marvel almost got it banned from my own home. I kept on playing in secret until my parents just shrugged and let it be. Though my group moved onto other games in time, I've always found myself coming back to Marvel, and I snag Marvel books when I stumble across them. My collection has shrunk after a purge several years ago, so all I really have now is the Advanced PB and JG, the Ultimate Powers Book, and I believe a guide to the F4?

I've played every edition of Marvel that came out. Marvel SAGA, MURPG (red and white stones), MHRP...I still think FASERIP is about the best.

In terms of personal preferences, I'm not a fan of the Ultimate Powers Guide, and having seen several revisions to FASERIP over the years (including some here), I still like sticking to the book. I rarely have characters made by the random systems, preferring either modelling heroes or using existing (or modified) heroes. I've introduced my own children to Marvel, and thus far they're liking it.

In terms of comics, I grew up reading Marvel and DC Comics. My favourite team was, in the early 90s, Excalibur, but I stopped collecting them sometime after issue #30 or so. It also strangely took me three years to get my hands on issue #4. My favourite hero was (and is) the Hulk, likely influenced by the Incredible Hulk cartoon in the 80s and the Bill Bixby series (the Hulk cartoon played in a bundle with Spider and his Amazing Friends). If I were to rank my age, it would be Incredible (40).

Generally a fan of Marvel over DC, but not much of a comic collector nowadays. I've been enjoying the Marvel movies, to an extent, though I wasn't impressed much with either Avengers 2 or Civil War. In terms of style, I prefer the Bronze Age storytelling styles, and really (REALLY) miss the era where Marvel and DC had house styles.
December 22, 2016 04:30PM
Coffee Zombie
Figured i would throw in an introduction.

Hey Zombie! Welcome!

Coffee Zombie
In terms of personal preferences, I'm not a fan of the Ultimate Powers Guide, and having seen several revisions to FASERIP over the years (including some here), I still like sticking to the book. I rarely have characters made by the random systems, preferring either modelling heroes or using existing (or modified) heroes. I've introduced my own children to Marvel, and thus far they're liking it.

I'm big on playing the rules as written also, though I have to admit, I've seen some good house rules and elaborations that I think still work well and actually improve the game, but I'm a pretty tough judge on this. I actually really like the UPB, as broken as some of the powers are, I just ban those from my games, Otherwise it does contain some good extra choices from the core book where the power levels are right in line with other basic powers.

Coffee Zombie
In terms of comics, I grew up reading Marvel and DC Comics. My favourite team was, in the early 90s, Excalibur, but I stopped collecting them sometime after issue #30 or so. It also strangely took me three years to get my hands on issue #4. My favourite hero was (and is) the Hulk, likely influenced by the Incredible Hulk cartoon in the 80s and the Bill Bixby series (the Hulk cartoon played in a bundle with Spider and his Amazing Friends). If I were to rank my age, it would be Incredible (40).

I also liked the Hulk show with Bixby and Spider-Man and his Amazing friends. It was great to see some of the guest stars on that show, like when Cap came to the local school to put on a demo for the kids and Spider-Man and the others had to try to stop him from completing the course. That reminded me of playing Marvel as new heroes trying to learn the ropes and establish yourselves.
January 25, 2017 08:42AM
Greetings, one and all!

I am Balefire, but I entrust my secret identity to you as Chris. I've been a tabletop gamer for over twenty years - and it all started with Marvel.

This game was my introduction to pen and paper RPGs. I first played it at the age of 10 with three of my neighborhood friends. I'll never forget the long Summer afternoons we would spend in my garage, drinking Cokes and playing this game. I even still remember who played whom (I was Magneto, my friend Mike was Nightcrawler and my friend Matt was Wolverine)

This game fostered my love for role-playing and led me to experience other games in the genre like D&D and World of Darkness, but Marvel always held a special place in my heart. I never forgot it, but almost nobody else I spoke to had heard of it, which puzzled me considering it was quite popular in the day. I'm just happy to have found this site and all the resources to experience and play it again with a new generation. I'm trying to get my younger brothers interested and run a game with them sometime soon.

Nice to meet you all, and I'll be seeing you around the boards!
January 25, 2017 09:34AM
Hey Chris, welcome! I also have really good memories of this game from when my friends and I used to play ages ago. It's always good to find others who still appreciate what the game has to offer. There's also a Facebook group called 'Classic Marvel RPG' that you might dig. Yeah, it was nice to see so much nice material created for this game since its creation. Enjoy!
February 28, 2017 06:26PM
Greetings all! I've been a tabletop gamer for well over 35 years now. Last time I played Marvel was probably back in the 80s or very early 90s. Looking forward to getting back into it!

While Marvel wasn't my first RPG, it was always my favorite. I spent countless school hours creating characters (hmmm, should i have been doing something else?)

Mostly I was the judge, itll be interesting playing again.
February 28, 2017 07:48PM
mirtos
Greetings all! I've been a tabletop gamer for well over 35 years now. Last time I played Marvel was probably back in the 80s or very early 90s. Looking forward to getting back into it!

While Marvel wasn't my first RPG, it was always my favorite. I spent countless school hours creating characters (hmmm, should i have been doing something else?)

Mostly I was the judge, itll be interesting playing again.

Well met and welcome to Classic Marvel Forever. Things are more lively around here in the NA winter from my personal experience. Plenty of grognards around here so you should fit right in. I happen to be one myself, but don't tell anyone.

One world of adventure is never enough.
March 29, 2017 02:44AM
Hello there.
I have been playing RPGs for quite a while, and I once before planned a Marvel Superheroes RPG, I think back in the early 2000s. But lately my group was talking about superhero games, and so I decided to have a look into it again.
I don't really have a clue what I am doing, I never actually ran it, but I have experience with a lot of different systems, so I hope I can manage.

PS. actually I am going to use the Faserip retroclone. Doesn't really matter, it's mostly a matter of a design that's easier to read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 36
Record Number of Heroes Online: 6 on January 11, 2016
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.