Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread
September 13, 2017 02:03AM
DorkLord
Lord Nikon
hey everyone. I've been around in the past, lurked here and there, back again. I guess just reintroducing myself.

Welcome back, Lord Nikon!

Thank you!
September 15, 2017 04:17PM
Hello from South Texas! New to the forum (never lurked) but I played this game (FASERIP) when I was younger! It was a big part of my childhood. Introducing my kids to it and they love it! I have about 90% of what I had when I was younger and love the resources that are available here!
September 16, 2017 03:47AM
Welcome to the forum, drdevil.

Please declare action and roll initiative. cool smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
October 02, 2017 04:29PM
Hi, I'm CykusX, but y'all can call me Tito Lounge
October 02, 2017 10:39PM
CykusX
Hi, I'm CykusX, but y'all can call me Tito Lounge

Greetings! Welcome to the insanity.

December 04, 2017 05:49PM
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but I've been following Classic Marvel Forever for a while, and recently started contributing to the Unofficial Canon Project on Facebook. In the real world (and on Facebook) I go by the name Andrew Goldstein, but I will answer to pretty much anything except Drew. I knew a guy in junior high school named Drew, and I couldn't stand that guy.

Um, anyway...I digress. Just wanted to introduce myself, so "hi". smiling smiley
December 04, 2017 07:53PM
Iron Duck
Hi everyone,

New to the forum, but I've been following Classic Marvel Forever for a while, and recently started contributing to the Unofficial Canon Project on Facebook. In the real world (and on Facebook) I go by the name Andrew Goldstein, but I will answer to pretty much anything except Drew. I knew a guy in junior high school named Drew, and I couldn't stand that guy.

Um, anyway...I digress. Just wanted to introduce myself, so "hi". smiling smiley

Welcome to Classic Marvel Forever!

One world of adventure is never enough.
December 10, 2017 03:08PM
Hello everyone!

I am starting a Marvel Campaign. I have played before, but that was so long ago.
January 10, 2018 03:13PM
Hi everyone. I haven't been on these forums in...yikes, 11 years! I've got a few things I'm going to post once I get myself familiar with the comings and goings of these forums.

I am the tweaker (Author is not even close to accurate for what I did) of the Advanced Set Rule Books that resulted in the MSH-X series (the ones with the Alex Ross covers). I've done some small updates over the past dozen years, so I'll need to get that uploaded at some point. More interestingly I've recently started working on a set of manuals that combine what I've done with the MSH-X tweaks and the 4C System. I'm basically calling it the 5C System.

Outside of that, hope people have been doing well and I look forward to some lively discussions!
February 11, 2018 06:14PM
Hi All,

Played Marvel and Advanced Marvel back when they first came out, but have not played in what? 20 years?

Trying to get back into the game.
February 11, 2018 08:03PM
Greetings and welcome!

February 12, 2018 07:35AM
Hello, all!

So excited that this site and resource exist. Used to play when I was in high school (late 80's/early 90's), and am an old RPG fanatic (even to the point of being the president of my college Role-Playing club), but I've been out of it for about 20+ years. The only books I have left are some old World of Darkness books--having ditched all my MSHRPG, Shadowrun, HOL, Champions and Warhammer (original) books.

My kids have expressed an interest in running an RPG, but they're a bit young, and the quantity of rules/calculations required in D&D and a few other games are a bit daunting for my seven year old, so I remembered how simple it was to play in the old FASERIP system. Plus, the Karma system was a great way to encourage positive actions in game.

But, boy, has playing games changed in the era of the Internet! Character generators! Online dice rollers! Playing via Skype!??!!?

Anyway, appreciate the resource, here, and I'm excited about expanding my kids' imagination and love of cooperative story-telling in this medium.

-me
April 19, 2018 04:04PM
Only just discovered this place thanks to a FB page. I've been playing MSH since the age of 10,so 29 years now. Sadly I'm not tech savvy & don't have a PC, so I probably won't be able to get as much use from the recources here as I'd like, but I'll try to lurk
May 04, 2018 06:24PM
welcome, BGibbs666 smiling smiley
May 31, 2018 12:56AM
Hi, all. I'm actually an old member who's recently returned after a long hiatus. For any of you who use The Big Book of Characters, I'm the guy (SolidSnake77 I believe) who submitted the write-up for Odin (some...15 years ago?) that was included in that source book. I just recently discovered this after downloading it so my thanks to Nemesis for the nod. winking smiley

I've been inspired by all the great fan-made source books that I've downloaded here to try my hand at making some of my own--to of course share with the community. Right now I have ideas for an overarching Marvel cosmic source book, Defender's source book and Tales of Asgard source book. I'm sure there are people working on similar projects, but if I get one finished and it's any good at all, I'll be sure to let you guys know. At the very least I'd like to start contributing new and revised write-ups again.
May 31, 2018 01:06AM
Welcome back. cool smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
May 31, 2018 05:08AM
NowhereMan
Hi, all. I'm actually an old member who's recently returned after a long hiatus. For any of you who use The Big Book of Characters, I'm the guy (SolidSnake77 I believe) who submitted the write-up for Odin (some...15 years ago?) that was included in that source book. I just recently discovered this after downloading it so my thanks to Nemesis for the nod. winking smiley

I've been inspired by all the great fan-made source books that I've downloaded here to try my hand at making some of my own--to of course share with the community. Right now I have ideas for an overarching Marvel cosmic source book, Defender's source book and Tales of Asgard source book. I'm sure there are people working on similar projects, but if I get one finished and it's any good at all, I'll be sure to let you guys know. At the very least I'd like to start contributing new and revised write-ups again.

Hello NowhereMan, you may want to know that a Tales of Asgard source book is already being assembled. If you want to join us let me direct you to Marvel Super Heroes The Unofficial Canon Project@Facebook where we have all joined forces to create for the grand old game. Contributors are ALWAYS WELCOME. Come join us today!!! We have helpful people to assist and set you on your journey.

June 01, 2018 04:05PM
Greetings folks.
Been about year, but been on facebook.
Hope folks are doing good!!
June 05, 2018 02:54AM
Necromancer
NowhereMan

Hello NowhereMan, you may want to know that a Tales of Asgard source book is already being assembled. If you want to join us let me direct you to Marvel Super Heroes The Unofficial Canon Project@Facebook where we have all joined forces to create for the grand old game. Contributors are ALWAYS WELCOME. Come join us today!!! We have helpful people to assist and set you on your journey.

Thanks for the invite. I did decide to join the group and even looked over some of the files for the Asgard sourcebook. Very interesting stuff. I'm in the process of creating some content for the game already so I'll be contributing soon.
June 07, 2018 01:26PM
Hello CMF community,

Thank you for the rich & extensive documentation you provide on this site. I have been into comics & their various mythos for many decades, but have always seemed to dabble with RPG's only on the periphery. I have most of the Marvel TSR sets (Basic, Advanced & MSH 1991) which I purchased mostly for collectability, with a small hope that I'd some day be able to find a group & play.

Recently, my 13 year old son expressed interest in D&D, which prompted me to dig out my RPG collection and force, err I mean coerce Wifey into playing. We ran Day of the Octopus and the Murderworld portion of Murderworld, but now we're trying to create our own characters and I could really use some guidance. I approach levels of confidence in what I'm doing, but there are so many rules and caveats, having someone else's opinion would help me know where I'm interpreting things correctly and where I'm way off base.

My main objectives are to have fun, adhere to the rules and keep things flowing without becoming bogged down by minutia.

My main battle questions regard multiple actions.

1: Captain America bouncing his shield off Doc Ock, into a printing press and back into his hand. I handled this by calling the first toss at Ock a green (target in the same area, and a feat he does often) then called the ricochet another green, but at -1 CS and the return to Cap a green at -2 CS. I realize it's a judgement call, but do you think I should have made the ricochet a yellow? Was I supposed to make him do a fighting roll for multiple actions/targets first to see if the other actions can even be attempted? Are all multiple actions at -3 CS or does each action after the first occur on the column to the left? (-1CS for second, -2CS for third, etc). According to Cap's stats, his shield does Remarkable (30) damage, but his strength is Excellent (20), so throwing his shield inflicts 20 damage to each target it hits, right?

2: Thing grabbing a printing press which has 20 hit points remaining and throwing it into one of the other printing presses which was still at full HP. I said green strength feat to grab, yellow strength to rip it out of the ground and green throwing blunt feat to see if it hits. I wasn't sure exactly how to calculate damage to the sitting press as the module does not specify what material the presses are, but since their strength is Excellent, and Excellent materials include iron and bullet proof glass, I decided it caused Excellent damage.

My questions regarding character creation are many and multi-faceted, but here's a few to get the ball rolling:

1: I originally used both the 1986 & 1991 books to create our first characters, got a little stuck/confused, stumbled onto this site and all the wonderful information it has to offer and then became more confused! LOL When I glanced at Necromancer's awesome Character Creator available in the downloads section, it seemed as though a new character can roll to receive up to 18 power slots, so I guess my question is which books or resources are best to use when creating characters & is it ok to "cherry pick" from each of them?

2: Wifey wants to make a female Asgardian who flies, has body armor, carries a sword and has a ranged energy attack. I read where a ranged attack can be tied to a common item, but I cant really find too much information about how to obtain a sword (resource feat?) or how the mechanics of such an attack would work. Also, I would like to steer her towards a spear so she at least has the option of bashing someone with the butt end rather than always rolling for a possible kill attack that cannot be lessened in any way. (Although I don't remember Valkyrie ever hacking up stiffs like she was Deadpool or Wolverine, but rules are rules...) Can she create a character who wields a magic item, or does such an item have to be earned or bestowed upon a character? If she can have a magic item, what is the proper way for that to come about?

3. I want to make an Altered Human with the ability to transform into flame (costs 2 powers), flame control, flame range attack, body alterations for extra attacks and flight which puts me at 6 powers (1 over the limit, according the books I used) Would it be considered an acceptable limitation if I made the flight power tied to the self-transformation ability (flight speed -2CS of transformation ability level) AND limited the transformation power to an energy dampening/mystic curse where he must burst into flame periodically but doing so causes him to become overly aggressive and possibly go into a mindless roid rage if he stays in flame mode for too long?

If you made it to the this point, I thank you for reading. If you take the time to provide a few answers, my family I will be extremely grateful!

Take care and keep rolling 100!

Excelsior
June 08, 2018 08:14PM
Fuegoman
Hello CMF community,

Thank you for the rich & extensive documentation you provide on this site. I have been into comics & their various mythos for many decades, but have always seemed to dabble with RPG's only on the periphery. I have most of the Marvel TSR sets (Basic, Advanced & MSH 1991) which I purchased mostly for collectability, with a small hope that I'd some day be able to find a group & play.

Recently, my 13 year old son expressed interest in D&D, which prompted me to dig out my RPG collection and force, err I mean coerce Wifey into playing. We ran Day of the Octopus and the Murderworld portion of Murderworld, but now we're trying to create our own characters and I could really use some guidance. I approach levels of confidence in what I'm doing, but there are so many rules and caveats, having someone else's opinion would help me know where I'm interpreting things correctly and where I'm way off base.

My main objectives are to have fun, adhere to the rules and keep things flowing without becoming bogged down by minutia.

My main battle questions regard multiple actions.

1: Captain America bouncing his shield off Doc Ock, into a printing press and back into his hand. I handled this by calling the first toss at Ock a green (target in the same area, and a feat he does often) then called the ricochet another green, but at -1 CS and the return to Cap a green at -2 CS. I realize it's a judgement call, but do you think I should have made the ricochet a yellow? Was I supposed to make him do a fighting roll for multiple actions/targets first to see if the other actions can even be attempted? Are all multiple actions at -3 CS or does each action after the first occur on the column to the left? (-1CS for second, -2CS for third, etc). According to Cap's stats, his shield does Remarkable (30) damage, but his strength is Excellent (20), so throwing his shield inflicts 20 damage to each target it hits, right?

2: Thing grabbing a printing press which has 20 hit points remaining and throwing it into one of the other printing presses which was still at full HP. I said green strength feat to grab, yellow strength to rip it out of the ground and green throwing blunt feat to see if it hits. I wasn't sure exactly how to calculate damage to the sitting press as the module does not specify what material the presses are, but since their strength is Excellent, and Excellent materials include iron and bullet proof glass, I decided it caused Excellent damage.

My questions regarding character creation are many and multi-faceted, but here's a few to get the ball rolling:

1: I originally used both the 1986 & 1991 books to create our first characters, got a little stuck/confused, stumbled onto this site and all the wonderful information it has to offer and then became more confused! LOL When I glanced at Necromancer's awesome Character Creator available in the downloads section, it seemed as though a new character can roll to receive up to 18 power slots, so I guess my question is which books or resources are best to use when creating characters & is it ok to "cherry pick" from each of them?

2: Wifey wants to make a female Asgardian who flies, has body armor, carries a sword and has a ranged energy attack. I read where a ranged attack can be tied to a common item, but I cant really find too much information about how to obtain a sword (resource feat?) or how the mechanics of such an attack would work. Also, I would like to steer her towards a spear so she at least has the option of bashing someone with the butt end rather than always rolling for a possible kill attack that cannot be lessened in any way. (Although I don't remember Valkyrie ever hacking up stiffs like she was Deadpool or Wolverine, but rules are rules...) Can she create a character who wields a magic item, or does such an item have to be earned or bestowed upon a character? If she can have a magic item, what is the proper way for that to come about?

3. I want to make an Altered Human with the ability to transform into flame (costs 2 powers), flame control, flame range attack, body alterations for extra attacks and flight which puts me at 6 powers (1 over the limit, according the books I used) Would it be considered an acceptable limitation if I made the flight power tied to the self-transformation ability (flight speed -2CS of transformation ability level) AND limited the transformation power to an energy dampening/mystic curse where he must burst into flame periodically but doing so causes him to become overly aggressive and possibly go into a mindless roid rage if he stays in flame mode for too long?

If you made it to the this point, I thank you for reading. If you take the time to provide a few answers, my family I will be extremely grateful!

Take care and keep rolling 100!

Excelsior

Battle Questions:

1) Cap can bounce his shield off of targets and have them return to his hand, he's been doing it for 80 years now and its mentioned to be part of his play style. I would rule it automatic on a Green FEAT roll, Judge's discretion on a Yellow FEAT roll and No on a Red FEAT roll.
Blunt weapons in the MSH game inflict Strength + 1 CS damage. The advantage of blunt weapons and they can slam.

2) Handled it well enough.

Character Creation:

1) The CCC is an amalgam and lists most of the powers available in all of the official books in one resource. As well as other materials and quality fan generated powers. The number of powers rolled is as David E. Martin wrote it in the original TSR official UPB.

2) Swords in the MSH game can be used to attack with the flat of the blade as a Fighting FEAT, inflicting Blunt Damage (Strength +1 CS damage up to the Material Strength of the item in question) instead of being forced to always make edged attacks. There are powers which are specifically designed for the creation of weapons in the CCC and the description will tell you what to do to generate it. There are also magic weapon creation tables in the CCC.

3) Your altered human can do that with one power: Body Transformation.

Welcome to Classic Marvel Forever!

August 16, 2018 05:27AM
Hello. I've been a member of Classic Marvel Forever for so long, it seems! As of the writing of this line, 4 minutes to be generally precise. I'm no one in particular. I've been roleplaying various games for about two and a half decades. I'm new to Marvel Superheroes, though. I thought it would be fun to play with my son.

By way of introduction, my name is James. I chose the username SquishyThud from the subtitling on an early Futurama episode. It's rarely, if ever, taken already, and I like to keep things simple. I like reading and writing. I enjoy long walks on the beach and long talks over good coffee. I've killed fewer people than you may expect from someone like me. I've known more killers than you may expect from someone like me. I'm generally strange, but not really creepy. That's what I told the judge, anyway, and now I'm out of the funny farm, so it must be a good thing to say to normies.

I've been perusing the website for a couple of months now. It's an impressive collection of information. Very thorough. I like the player-made writeups that I've seen, too. I'm glad to be here.

Imagine I'm giving a non-threatening smile here. I'm not, but imagine it, please. ... ... ... Thank you. You can quit.
August 16, 2018 05:56AM
SquishyThud
I've killed fewer people than you may expect from someone like me. I've known more killers than you may expect from someone like me.

Welcome, James. Thanks for keeping the kill count low. smoking smiley

November 01, 2018 08:09PM
Greeting .

I am working at home on a long term study of telecom .

the Marvel 2 telecom of a setting on MARVEL inSider of
a problem I have with what I call 2 star communicatopm
disorder of Sanity : Some * topic and reply blogging . . .

the political problem I had is accusatory of nonsense ...

otherwise , I work on Marvel2 telecom and a character .

if anyone would like to reply I''ll check back after whatever
networking nonsense this post caused . I'm a super user2

Peace and Pragmatic ,
Lord Eberis [(DemoGraph)]
work at home communications
and Free State Bb consultant ..
November 18, 2018 01:51PM
Hello, everyone. I haven't been around here in years. I just made this new account because I couldn't access my old one, which was Killer B. So I just added an underscore into the old one, and voila, I'm back. I mainly came back out of curiosity. I found some write-ups I made for some of my homegrown PC's, and damn did I make some overpowered. I haven't played in over a decade. And I don't have my gaming equipment anymore. But maybe I'll begin again.
Later.
November 19, 2018 05:53PM
Hi! I've lurked here off and on for 4 years and would just like to say 'hello' and 'thank you' to all those who post and keep this tremendous site going. The resources here are top notch! MSH was my first RPG around '86, and I played the stock Wolverine in a solo battle against The Scorpion. I couldn't just hack and slash so we had to get creative because we were young and didn't know Wolvie could just cut the suit and leave Mac Gargan mostly unharmed. It all worked out and I've been hooked since. Again, thanks to all!

Aha!
November 21, 2018 05:46AM
Hello, how is everyone doing. Haven't logged in here before, I used to play this game a long time ago, when it first came out.
December 01, 2018 03:34AM
Hello fellow Marvel fans! (DC too, I guess).

New to the forum. I'm a huge Marvel Comics fan. My favorite team is the Xmen. I started playing Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing Game in 1987. I have not played since around that time and would love to get back into it. I purchased the advanced rules set on ebay and have been reading the books again. I live in NW Arkansas (Bentonville) and would love to get into a group if one exists. Or maybe people even do this now via Skype or Zoom? I'm open! I work from home (self employed) so I'm pretty flexible as far as time goes. PM me if you have a group I can join (locally or via Skype/Zoom etc.). I have not played in 30 years so Im pretty much going to be a rookie. I still remember what FASERIP and all that means but game play will be clunky for me for a bit. Happy to be here!
January 15, 2019 04:19PM
hello everyone and thanks for the great website! looking to introduce role playing to a newer game group who are nuts about supers and came across these cool systems and then stumbled into this website. Lots of great information to dig through here. Also looking for more info on the Marvel SAGA game, I have pdfs of the game book and the roster guide but looking for supplelements etc if someone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome. Thanks and glad I came!
January 30, 2019 02:49AM
Hello, everyone. Long time lurker here. I love Classic MSH. I also like other supers RPGs like Golden Heroes. Say, is it permissible to discuss other supers RPGs here? I get that it is a Marvel Super Heroes Board, but I was just wondering. Anyway, I have been reading comics and playing RPGs fpr nearly 4 decades, and I'm glad this forum exists. Thank for having me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 39
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.