Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread
March 30, 2017 11:06AM
gmkeros
Hello there.
I have been playing RPGs for quite a while, and I once before planned a Marvel Superheroes RPG, I think back in the early 2000s. But lately my group was talking about superhero games, and so I decided to have a look into it again.
I don't really have a clue what I am doing, I never actually ran it, but I have experience with a lot of different systems, so I hope I can manage.

PS. actually I am going to use the Faserip retroclone. Doesn't really matter, it's mostly a matter of a design that's easier to read.

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the retroclone thing. We love the old MSH system, but we discuss all things superheroes here, and the the FASERIP system, as you point out, is close enough to the original so you should fit in just fine. thumbs up cool smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
April 22, 2017 10:07AM
Hi everybody,

Been lurking here (and on the FB group) for a few weeks, so I thought I'd make it official and join up.

MSH was one of the first games I played, back in the 80s, but until a month or so ago I hadn't really looked at it since, having been spending most of my time with D&D retroclones and a SF system of my own devising. But I suddenly got the urge to run a superhero-themed campaign, so after much looking around, I decided to revisit my first love... and here I am! It's very exciting to see so much online love (i.e., free downloads) for this classic system, and I'm excited to start my campaign, which will hopefully happen in June sometime...

Anyway, hi!
April 22, 2017 12:46PM
Welcome to the forum.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
April 24, 2017 12:31PM
Welcome to the forum! Yeah, it's a great game! I've missed playing it too.
April 25, 2017 03:15AM
Hi there!

Long time rpg player and comic lover. I started playing MSHRPG growing up in Spain and I have rekindled my passion for this system in the last two years.

Happy gaming!
April 25, 2017 12:20PM
amarchen
Hi there!

Long time rpg player and comic lover. I started playing MSHRPG growing up in Spain and I have rekindled my passion for this system in the last two years.

Happy gaming!

Welcome, and happy gaming indeed! thumbs up cool smiley

April 25, 2017 02:49PM
Hey! Welcome, amarchen! Always nice to meet another Marvel player! <smiling smiley Are you currently playing a game? What kind of Marvel games do you like?
April 26, 2017 08:14AM
Hey there! I'm Jacey, and my superpower is the Unearthly ability to never be able to think of a good username other than my actual legal name.

I've been playing superhero RPGs for a while now: as a kid I played TSR's Marvel SAGA game, which was a really fun card based system that (I felt) really captured the high powered action of the Marvel Universe in a way that was both simple and elegant - unfortunately, this game is also rare, and consequently pretty expensive nowadays. In my search for a game that captures the spirit of the comics as well as that game did, I've tried Savage Worlds, Mutants and Masterminds (3E), the old Mayfair DC Heroes game, and Margaret Weis' Marvel game that came out a couple of years ago - but while some of these were pretty good, none of them captured the combination of elegance, simplicity and feeling of constant exciting action that made TSR's 90s Marvel game so great.

Until I found this website.
Seriously, I've been playing with just the basic rules for a little while now, and Classic Marvel is exactly the game I have been looking for - simple, fun, full of action, with a wealth of material out there, and I'm able to explain the basic rules in about 2 minutes to most of my players. I think it's a perfect gateway drug not just to superhero roleplaying, but to rpg's in general!

I'm currently playing in an ongoing X-men campaign (as Rogue). I also play D&D somewhat regularly, and my other hobbies include reading, video games (Overwatch!), and collecting comic books, video games, and cartoons that were released decades before I was born.
April 26, 2017 09:42AM
Jacey
Hey there! I'm Jacey, and my superpower is the Unearthly ability to never be able to think of a good username other than my actual legal name.

I've been playing superhero RPGs for a while now: as a kid I played TSR's Marvel SAGA game, which was a really fun card based system that (I felt) really captured the high powered action of the Marvel Universe in a way that was both simple and elegant - unfortunately, this game is also rare, and consequently pretty expensive nowadays. In my search for a game that captures the spirit of the comics as well as that game did, I've tried Savage Worlds, Mutants and Masterminds (3E), the old Mayfair DC Heroes game, and Margaret Weis' Marvel game that came out a couple of years ago - but while some of these were pretty good, none of them captured the combination of elegance, simplicity and feeling of constant exciting action that made TSR's 90s Marvel game so great.

Until I found this website.
Seriously, I've been playing with just the basic rules for a little while now, and Classic Marvel is exactly the game I have been looking for - simple, fun, full of action, with a wealth of material out there, and I'm able to explain the basic rules in about 2 minutes to most of my players. I think it's a perfect gateway drug not just to superhero roleplaying, but to rpg's in general!

I'm currently playing in an ongoing X-men campaign (as Rogue). I also play D&D somewhat regularly, and my other hobbies include reading, video games (Overwatch!), and collecting comic books, video games, and cartoons that were released decades before I was born.

Hi there, Have a UN(100) welcome to the forums.

One world of adventure is never enough.
April 26, 2017 04:13PM
Necromancer
Hi there, Have a UN(100) welcome to the forums.

Yellow FEAT, and if I'm not mistaken you have Hospitality Arts A & D. Jacey, you'll make a Slam check. cool smiley

April 27, 2017 05:30AM
Oh man a UN(100) welcome and Hospitality Arts A? That means he can Stun or Slam irrespective of my Shift-X ability to be anti-social! Looks like I'm knocked back ten forums. Dx

Haha, thanks for the welcome. I'm not always able to stay online very long, but I'll try my best to contribute. It's nice to see an RPG forum that's actually active, though! ^_^
May 01, 2017 07:23AM
I started playing MSHRPG using Facebook a couple of weeks ago and I'm preparing a campaign using supervillains very soon.
June 19, 2017 11:02AM
I'm Jason Guevarra. My username is a typo, and I can't figure out how to change it. Maybe you could help me out. I started playing Marvel Super Heroes when I was in elementary school in Pittsburgh, PA. Let's Go Penguins !!!!!!

Please read my thread, "Slams and Stuns", and comment on it.

If Cinderella worked at Domino's Pizza, then her name would be Mozzarella. Ha Haahaaa.
June 19, 2017 11:56AM
LateBloomner87
I'm Jason Guevarra. My username is a typo, and I can't figure out how to change it. Maybe you could help me out. I started playing Marvel Super Heroes when I was in elementary school in Pittsburgh, PA. Let's Go Penguins !!!!!!

Please read my thread, "Slams and Stuns", and comment on it.

I presume your user name should read "LateBloomer87" without the "n"? If so, I'll talk at our forum admin and see if something can be done for you. Until then, welcome to the forum. smileys with beer

July 03, 2017 04:08AM
Hello!

Long-time follower of the site, and lover of the ol' MSH game. I remember, the Basic Set was the 2nd RPG I ever purchased. Why Basic instead of Advanced? I had a friend with the Advanced set that said he'd heard the map included in the Basic set matched up with his...

Still, MSH is in the top tier of Super Hero Roleplaying for me. Another RPG community I'm involved in is for "Street Fighter - The Storytelling Game". The "lost" White Wolf game they all want you to forget about! Make no mistake, though, beating people up with a Dragon Punch is just as fun as plowing into someone like Cannonball. I guess this puts "Marvel vs. Capcom" at the center of my tastes when it comes to RPG settings & backgrounds, etc. But, like many RPers, I do most often toil in the D&D mines with all of those D&D lovin' folks. I need to GM the games I want to see in the world.

Excelsior!
July 03, 2017 12:19PM
SavAce
Hello!

Long-time follower of the site, and lover of the ol' MSH game. I remember, the Basic Set was the 2nd RPG I ever purchased. Why Basic instead of Advanced? I had a friend with the Advanced set that said he'd heard the map included in the Basic set matched up with his...

Still, MSH is in the top tier of Super Hero Roleplaying for me. Another RPG community I'm involved in is for "Street Fighter - The Storytelling Game". The "lost" White Wolf game they all want you to forget about! Make no mistake, though, beating people up with a Dragon Punch is just as fun as plowing into someone like Cannonball. I guess this puts "Marvel vs. Capcom" at the center of my tastes when it comes to RPG settings & backgrounds, etc. But, like many RPers, I do most often toil in the D&D mines with all of those D&D lovin' folks. I need to GM the games I want to see in the world.

Excelsior!

Glad to see you finally joining in then! Enjoy your official welcome as you step from the shadows!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
July 03, 2017 05:17PM
SavAce
Hello!

Indeed it did. For all of the matched up maps combined, check out the mega map in the downloads section. It has all the official maps joined up plus one empty corner filled in with original content thanks to the efforts of ThatArtGuy. Link below will take you to it.

[classicmarvelforever.com]

SavAce

I remember Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game fondly. I still have all the old books somewhere.

July 04, 2017 09:05AM
Thrudjelmer
I remember Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game fondly. I still have all the old books somewhere.

Thanks for the welcome Thrudjelmer, Nightmask. If you ever get Street Fighter nostalgia and get a hankerin' for some goodies, feel free to check out a lil something I did here:

Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game 20th Anniversary Edition

Also, Matt Meade, the owner of the site has a nice supplement full of characters, maneuvers, styles and rules:

Street Fighter: The G-File

I love when fan stuff is able to get the graphic design bits down to have that "official" look. With Marvel, I love to do up my character sheet so it looks like the "Gamer's Handbook of the Marvel Universe" style, using HeroMachine or lucky Google image searches for portraits, but no fan material... yet. Maybe I'll get inspired eventually.

Happy 4th!
July 11, 2017 05:28AM
One of my very first RPGs. I look at it fondly. These days I wonder how well it holds up as a generic RPG system. Anyone use it for running fantasy genre? How well does that work?
July 11, 2017 11:10AM
Jeffrywith1e
One of my very first RPGs. I look at it fondly. These days I wonder how well it holds up as a generic RPG system. Anyone use it for running fantasy genre? How well does that work?

Welcome aboard, Jeff.

To answer your question, see this thread << click here >> for the G-Core product line. It's FASERIP with some changes (including changing the names of the FASERIP stats) but is FASERIP compatible and has a variety of "generic" content.

July 15, 2017 05:08PM
How did I miss this thread?

Let's see.. I'm rather boring really. I'm a long time fan off all things marvel. Enjoying comics and superheroes is something I'll never give up. Fun fact, my great grandmother collected comicbooks. When she died the family found a treasure trove full of the old Archie comics from the 50's....and then foolishly threw them away!!!!

Anyway, I chalk up my love for comics as something I inherited from mawmaw grinning smiley!

I'm always happy to chat about old school marvel and I love to write and live in my imagination. Because you know the real world can really suck sometimes :p.

Anyway I'm so happy this site exists, I'm having fun reading the articles and forum posts.
July 22, 2017 01:29PM
Just a brief introduction as it's half past midnight in the UK. I'm writing a big sourcebook on Black Panther and Wakanda. Still in the research stage. I've created major RPG projects before so there won't be a problem reaching the Finish Line. Nice to meet you all and looking forward to perusing more of this fine site.
July 23, 2017 11:52AM
Welcome aboard, John. I'm looking forward to the completion of your Wakanda project. thumbs up cool smiley

July 25, 2017 02:12AM
Thank you very much.
August 13, 2017 05:51AM
Hello everybody, greeting from Italy.
Despite being a 28 neckbearded guy grinning smiley I'm such a newcomer when we talk about RPGs, but a long time Marvel fan.
I'm here cause the goal is to have a 'kitchen table' level campaign, in which I'll take the Judge role.
I'm finding a lot of difficulties in setting the whole thing up, especially in getting the source that fits the most my needs, but I'm going to start a topic in this section of the forum to basically get some help and focus on the "right" material (which I greedly donwloaded couple of days ago).
Thanks for having me on board, see you around!
August 13, 2017 05:24PM
Tommo
Hello everybody, greeting from Italy.
Despite being a 28 neckbearded guy grinning smiley I'm such a newcomer when we talk about RPGs, but a long time Marvel fan.
I'm here cause the goal is to have a 'kitchen table' level campaign, in which I'll take the Judge role.
I'm finding a lot of difficulties in setting the whole thing up, especially in getting the source that fits the most my needs, but I'm going to start a topic in this section of the forum to basically get some help and focus on the "right" material (which I greedly donwloaded couple of days ago).
Thanks for having me on board, see you around!

Welcome to the boards!

August 21, 2017 06:40PM
Hello! My name is James. Could someone please show me around and get me introduced? smiling smiley
August 23, 2017 06:56AM
James Lachoneus
Hello! My name is James. Could someone please show me around and get me introduced? smiling smiley

Hello James. Welcome to our corner of the gaming universe!

September 12, 2017 03:40AM
hey everyone. I've been around in the past, lurked here and there, back again. I guess just reintroducing myself.
September 12, 2017 11:08AM
Lord Nikon
hey everyone. I've been around in the past, lurked here and there, back again. I guess just reintroducing myself.

Welcome back, Lord Nikon!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 19
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.