Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Greeting and Salutations - The Official Introduction Thread
January 30, 2019 10:12AM
Welcome to the forum officially, Skip.

Discussion about other games would fit well into our General discussions. Obviously the forum's focus is on the classic MSH game, but we're pretty open to superhero stuff in general.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 03, 2019 05:04PM
Hello all!

I've been checking out the write ups for years, but never joined the forum (thanks for the site, BTW!). I played a fair bit of FASERIP (advanced) going right back to the 80's when it came out; albeit only infrequently these days (though I always liked the system, especially the resolution system of the tables). Mostly a D&D group I ran for (across the editions), but we would take breaks or dabble in other games, MSH being one. I was a huge Marvel zombie/fan from about age 5/1975, so it was always going to be.
February 04, 2019 05:03AM
Welcome aboard, Don. smileys with beer

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
February 05, 2019 06:44AM
Hi everybody!

It's been years since I last posted anything or have even been on this site and all I can say is WOW! I'm so glad to see things are still pretty much the way I remember and the community here is as active and engaged as ever. Not sure how long I've been a member. My oldest child is almost 17 years old and I think my profile is around that same age. Maybe even a bit older? I wouldn't have been surprised if it didn't work anymore.

As a visitor I've been hanging around a little longer. I can still remember the previous owner. I didn't post a lot, but I enjoyed lurking and posting every now and then.

Anyway, I just want to say that this is still hands down the best resource site for the classic marvel game, and I'm proud to brag about how I knew it "back in the day". I'm looking forward to seeing what's been going on, and hopefully I'll recognize a few of the names.
February 05, 2019 09:14AM
Welcome back! I'm sure Skycutter is glad to hear comments like this. smileys with beer

February 10, 2019 07:58AM
Welcome back, bricks smiling smiley

I do remember you smiling smiley
March 13, 2019 04:13PM
Just joined here. I'm giving serious thought to using MSH for a supers campaign soon; the last time I played it was in the early 80s. This is a very fun site!
March 26, 2019 09:40AM
Hi all! I've started my role playing career back in the eighties: 1982. Such a long time... From D&D to MSH. I'm wondering how many fans are still out there, alive and kickig!
Thanks a lot for the great work many of you are doing to keep this dream alive.
March 26, 2019 09:53AM
Welcome, guys. The more the merrier.
I used to be quite active around here years ago. And I returned not long ago. I was pleased to find this site still kicking.
June 26, 2019 12:42PM
The rpg group i play with decided to try out this game. Thought id make an account here cause, why not i guess. Hi all
August 12, 2019 02:22PM
Hey everyone! I'm so grateful for the amount of resources and dedication poured into this site. I played this growing up and now I have two boys, 7/8 that I want to introduce the game to. I'm mostly here trying to re-learn the game and get smart on it again.
August 19, 2019 07:47AM
August 28, 2019 05:12PM
hey all, checking in, played the basic set waaaaaay back in jr high/high school, still have it, now I have an 8 year old daughter that's enthralled with all things spidergwen, absolutely insisted on trying the game out since we're trying to introduce her to AD&D (2E, cause everything since is banned in my house), the group normally plays SR4/5 (and will look at 6 eventually), and started branching to AD&D 2E because they wanted a bit of flavor other than SR every game night...

Thanks for all the awesome resources (though, the vast majority of the downloads don't work, they just redirect back to the page that you're on), I'm looking forward to using MSH to kindle a love of TTRPG's in my kids.
August 29, 2019 12:53AM
August 29, 2019 03:47AM
Done!
September 16, 2019 11:17AM
Welcome to you all to this wonderful resource of a site!!
May 05, 2020 05:15AM
Hello everyone!

I've been gaming since 1998 with AD&D and 2nd ed, got into other gaming systems until I discovered MSH from a friend running an Avengers game at the local gaming store in 2003. I've been playing the game ever since. Right now I have three kids, and actually got an account because I was going to ask some questions about some things I've been trying to find, but I might just stick around longer because I haven't had anyone to talk to about this system except my husband and his friend.
May 05, 2020 09:27AM
Charbonne
Hello everyone!

I've been gaming since 1998 with AD&D and 2nd ed, got into other gaming systems until I discovered MSH from a friend running an Avengers game at the local gaming store in 2003. I've been playing the game ever since. Right now I have three kids, and actually got an account because I was going to ask some questions about some things I've been trying to find, but I might just stick around longer because I haven't had anyone to talk to about this system except my husband and his friend.

Welcome aboard!

One world of adventure is never enough.
May 11, 2020 04:14PM
Charbonne
Hello everyone!

Welcome to CMF! We're glad to have you here and hope you have a long, enjoyable stay!

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
August 25, 2020 02:58PM
Greetings all! I've been lurking about this site (and forums) for the last 3 years or so and decided to finally be sociable and join up.

I started my interest in RPGs through Metagaming's Wizard and Melee in 1978, then quickly moving on to the original D&D white box and AD&D 1st edition in 1979. I ran adventures for Traveller, Top Secret, Call of Cthulhu and Star Trek - The RPG (FASA version) before finally getting my hands on the original MSH RPG box set in the summer of 1984. That campaign ran for seven years before players moving away and military obligations made it necessary to end it. I did some off and on stuff with GURPS for a few years after that.

I finally got back into gaming in 2014 after a 16 year hiatus (mostly the result of working nights), when I ran A Song of Ice and Fire RPG campaign. That's still ongoing, though temporarily on pause as a result of the Plague. Despite all the game systems I've ran and/or played, MSH RPG has always held a special place in my heart over the years. The system is detailed enough to do what you want, yet simple enough not to get in the way of fun and smooth play. And, of course, I've been a fan of Marvel Comics since 1968. I enjoy characters from other universes as well, but Marvel has always been my first. I look forward to trading ideas with all of you!
October 09, 2020 09:50AM
Hi everyone,

I had this game a kid, but we never got around to playing it since we were playing D&D at the time. Got out of playing for a few years and then a few years back tried my hand on and off at playing and DMing D&D via Play By Post(pbp). It's slow, but with kids, it's the only way I can play. lol. I've always wanted to play the Marvel game and wanted to see if there was anyone running games in a pbp format that I could join? Eventually, I'd like to run a few games as well, but need to familiarize myself with the game a little better.

Anyway, happy to be here.

Thanks!
October 10, 2020 05:50AM
Shadowace
Hi everyone,

I had this game a kid, but we never got around to playing it since we were playing D&D at the time. Got out of playing for a few years and then a few years back tried my hand on and off at playing and DMing D&D via Play By Post(pbp). It's slow, but with kids, it's the only way I can play. lol. I've always wanted to play the Marvel game and wanted to see if there was anyone running games in a pbp format that I could join? Eventually, I'd like to run a few games as well, but need to familiarize myself with the game a little better.

Anyway, happy to be here.

Thanks!

Glad to have you here! Hope you have a long and enjoyable stay!

If you're on FB there's a group ( [www.facebook.com] ) titled MSHRPU you might be able to join, it's meant to be a shared universe in around the time period the RPG was set with multiple GM at least some of them running it as PbP that you might be able to join.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
October 11, 2020 04:42AM
Thanks, I just joined the group.
October 11, 2020 10:20AM
Shadowace
Thanks, I just joined the group.

You're quite welcome and I thought that new member might be you. Best of luck!

-- Peter David

May 15, 2021 10:42AM
Greetings to all,

Thought I would join the forum after reviewing the old MSH books recently to assist me with another project.

The simple elegance of the MSH system never gets old.
July 12, 2021 03:55AM
Hello to everyone!

Ok, there was a bit of trouble getting this account rolling, but now that that's out of the way we can get this show on the road

Like most here I got started in AD&D, but quickly moved on to other games. Don't know why, but the fantasy genre never appealed all that much to me. Ever since 89 my first love has always been battletech; I loved the game enough that I kept playing even after they introduced the clans. I've also enjoyed The World of Darkness series, although only the "first edition"; what I saw of the reboot was disappointing.

I played MSH in the early 90s and the best fun was when we made the silliest characters that actually had to survive in a serious campaign. The cast of characters:

Poorboy: resistance to the elements and high level emotion control: he radiated pity in a 10 area radius. The problem? His weakness was that he was affected by his own emotion control, and he was unable to turn it off. So, Poorboy wandered the streets, feeling sorry for himself, as did everyone else. People would feel sorry for him, and throw their money in his direction. He could clean out an entire neighborhood in a single afternoon (no, he wasn't much of a hero).

Ice Cream Man: Basically the same as Ice Man, but ice cream. A seconday power was that he could control the flavor he launched at his enemies. While he was immensely popular with children, Ice Cream Man was the enemy of nutritionists and dentists. He also earned the Ire of City Hall after leaving a park covered with neopolitan icecream. He spent most of his time trying unsuccessfully to sue Bobby Drake for copyright infringement.

Couch Potato: the sterotypical nerd: pale from never going outside, unkempt from poor personal habits, and quite overweight. His main power was density manipulation: Self, always activated. He weighed nearly a ton despite being only 5'9". His main thing was a helmet in the shape of a television whose screen showed his face. It gave him the power of emotion control: the helmet projected the emotion of sloth at (if I'm remembering correctly) montrous level. He had to be careful with this, as it had a 2 area radius of effect. One memorable accident occured when he tried to end a fight and hit an ally instead of the enemies. We all remembered for years the sight of Ghost Rider plopped down on a sofa, beer and doritos in hand, watching college football instead of going after a band of Marauders. (in that same encounter it turned out that Ice Cream Man "won" the battle by discovering that the fearsome Sabertooth likes cherry sherbert).

Technically, we were auditioning for membership in the Avengers. Capitain America himself (an NPC run by the GM, of course), shaking his head at the sight of us and muttering "well, they're not the 1925 Yankees, or any Yankees for that matter..." decided to send us as a decoy to raid a major HYDRA base. We actually took the base without a single casualty. Baron Von Struker escaped, unable to believe his eyes at the sight of his troops lounging around eating Ice Cream instead of going after the vagrant wandering around the base facilities. All they seemed to care about was that poor kid they just met. It was a hilarious campaign.
July 14, 2021 08:38AM
Welcome to the forum!

All of those characters make me think of Butterball.

He may not have been one of the greats, but he has heart and character.

July 15, 2021 02:05AM
Thrudjelmer
Welcome to the forum!

All of those characters make me think of Butterball.

He may not have been one of the greats, but he has heart and character.

Ah yes, the mighty Butterball! grinning smileygrinning smiley
July 10, 2022 06:11AM
Greeting to all the new peeps, though you most likely been here awhile.
January 03, 2023 05:39AM
Hey all,
While I recognize that this forum might not be as active as it once was, I figured I'd stick with your tradition. smiling smiley

I've been RPGing since 1983, played and GM'd most systems that have been around since then, and especially TSR's Marvel Super Heroes system almost since it came out, though, admittedly, my play time in it is spotty over the last couple decades.

ANYWAY, lol, I've recently become interested in reinvigorating my RPG time with this fantastic system and trying to figure out the best way to play it with a VTT setup.

I already think this is a great site/resource for MSH and I'm very grateful it exists and glad to be here. smiling smiley

Vowels

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 36
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.