Team Building Concepts: The Official Create-A-Team Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Build-A-Team: X-Men First Class/X-Men Modern
May 23, 2008 02:26AM
His Super-Hero ID ought to answer that question, he's there to get that angelic vote by making them look like they've God's blessing. Of course for some it's seen as a blasphemy but overall Angel's there to appeal to the religious.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Joe
Thank You.
May 23, 2008 07:17AM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wouldn't that depend on when he recruited him
> though? Catch him young enough before his
> tendencies gelled into full-grown criminal
> behavior and he might end up quite the formidable
> hero instead. Xavier picking for a team and going
> with Taskmaster would as we saw for the original
> X-men likely end up with young people that were
> still impressionable enough to guide (or
> indoctrinated depending on the version of Xavier
> you're looking at from Marvel) into a formidable
> team for good including Taskmaster. His chances
> of betraying the team or dream at that point would
> be no more or less than that of anyone else.
> Considering he would easily cover all aspects of
> physical training and combat talents he'd also
> give them a very high-end tactical edge in combat
> along with helping everyone learn the full range
> of weapon and unarmed combat skills around
> (imagine everyone in the X-men with Martial Arts
> A-E as part of the talent list so that when
> villains had weapons to negate their powers they
> proved to be less than helpless as a result).

Thank you for making my point for me Nightmask. smiling smiley I think we have all seen enough comics/stories where little differences have made a major difference.
Re: Thank You.
May 23, 2008 07:59AM
It is possible that being brought in to the Xavier institute could cause a fundemental change in Taskmaster's point of view, but i just don't see it. Or if anything, the Xavier influence would perhaps curb his tendency towards mercenary exploits, but then i see Taskmaster developing as an arrogant hotshot who can be lured by his vanity. Also Gideon is on this roster who is pretty old and corrupt. In that case I see Gideon paying lip service to Xavier, developing taskmaster as his ace in the hole, and the pair of them betraying the team somwhere down the line.

On paper the combination is a beast and could be very hard to take out. In an interpersonal dynamic view, those two would disrupt the X-Men getting cohesive very early on.
Re: Build-A-Team: X-Men First Class/X-Men Modern
June 14, 2008 04:30PM
Hmmmm, 105 posts and apparently all of them a waste of time, so what was the point of spamming the forum with a string of 'just bumping this' posts Ragnarok? I mean so you're a bit peeved at someone why dignify that by throwing up all the bumping posts?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
Team Building Concept: Who is your Fantastic Four?
April 29, 2008 02:24PM
Classic Marvel Community,

The Fantastic Four is a particularly interesting team in the way of balance. Each member represents one, of the traditional four basics elements. The Thing, standing for the Earth, powerful and solid. Invisible Woman, an example of the invisible force that is the Air. Mr. Fantastic's body symbolizes the properties of water, flexible and fluid in motion. The Human Torch, as we know, typifies the Fire element. This concept is the inspiration of this post.

Using your knowledge and analytical skills, build yourself a Fantastic Four. This team should in your opinion, operate with equal or greater ability than the actual team of the same name. Your four members can be recruited from anywhere you choose, but obviously should work well together. Be as detailed as you desire, and if you decide to make more than one team, please explain why you have done so and the differences between them.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 02:26PM by The Last Duskblade.
Re: Team Building Concept: Who is your Fantastic Four?
April 29, 2008 02:48PM
Interesting idea, are you referring to only canon marvel characters, only characters within a set comic continuity (Marvel, DC, Image, etc.) or any, custom or canon? That would help with the selection criteria I think, at least for me to properly sort out something.

-- Peter David

Clarification of the Rules
April 29, 2008 03:14PM
Nightmask and friends,

Any character who the members here can find reference material on, would be acceptable. My original idea was to allow people the use of characters from, literally, anywhere they wanted. Including different comic book companies, movies, novels, role playing games, etc. I'll stick with that. So feel free to use some of your home brews, as long as the stats for them are listed on this site. I'd prefer that all four character were not original creations though, just because it makes the project a little too easy.

Since I'm sure one of our clever members will try it...one line up I don't want to see is: The Silver Surfer, Air Walker, Terrax, and Firelord or Nova.

For obvious reasons.

Also please remember to title your post with either your screen name or the name of your team. This will be nice for people searching through the topic.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
The PWR
April 29, 2008 11:30PM
Oh mang….. I wanted to post My 4 Home Brewed Characters……. Oh Well, I’ll do it anyway….

PWR

Stands for “Planetary Warfare Regiment”… These guys basically run a Global Militia which protect the Earth from Extra Terrestrial Alien Invasions……. (Their worst Foes are Called the Wraithion… Buncha Mean S.O.Bees, with Ships and All that Jazz)…

Anyway, the whole Gaming Campaign with these Guys is kind of ‘Barbaric’….. Futuristic “Star-Wars” crap meets “Conan Brutality” type stuff….. Blood, Guts, Drugs, Money, Mobs, and Oh Yeah; Really COOL ‘GUNS’…

The Wizard Dood…. Magic Spells, Raise the Dead, Prays to the 'Devil'...Upside Down Stars and All that Goth Crap…. I guess he is Closest to ‘FYRE’

The Warrior Dood… He has Skills that cover a fat spectrum of Stuff… Pretty Strong, Sort of Fast, Uses some Magic, Kinda Smart, Has Weapons, uses Technology and Equipment…… I guess he is Closest to ‘Water’ because he is versatile.

The Acrobat Dood…. Real Quick, mastered all sorts of ‘Energy’ crap and Invisible Forces... Yeah He Steals Shit too….. I guess he is Closest to ‘Wind’

The Strong Dood….. Hella Strong, Built like a TANK, Hits REAL Hard.... Luvs his 'MOM'….. I guess he is Closest to ‘Earth-Rock-Wood’

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Expanded MSH Table
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]

MOTÖRHEAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 11:34PM by TankerAce.
Re: The PWR
April 29, 2008 11:50PM
Sweet man!

Love the different representations. Now I'm wishing I had not altered the rules. Maybe others had something cool like this to bring.

Drop that "original character rule", and cut loose guys!

TankerAce, could you provide links to each of the guys in your team? Just so we can peruse them at our leisure. ;-)

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
May 01, 2008 11:10AM
A Mutant version of the Fantastic four, maybe not as powerful as the real deal but i think they would work well together
Firestar, eventhough its microwaves and not really fire, i always thought she was an underused character, and wished she would have stayed and developed more with the Avengers
Shadowcat she would represent the air with her phasing ability and probbaly act as team leader based on her experience and since she has been shown to have some leadership qualities
Onyxx,for the earth I know most will think i shoud have used Rockslide, but i always liked the character of Onyxx better, and he is a character that could develope into a solid strongman for any team
Darwin his reactive evolution power is descibed as his body being able to adapt to any situation or enviroment he is placed in, much the way water will take the shape of any form it is placed in...i now im reaching here, but i do think his powers would go well in a FF type team, plus none of these characers have the brain power of Reed and his evolution powers i think would help make up for that, were Reed might invent a machine for a situation, Darwin might develop a power to handle it.
May 01, 2008 12:35PM
I like the idea and thought I would go square and use characters already established in the mainstream!
1)Franklin Richards: near full potential as when he become known as the Avatar. You know, the grown up wildman looking guy! [not that stupid Psi-Lord]
2)Gladiator: before retcons made him some hump you could intimidate, like a bully you stand up that ends up backing down
3)Ascended Spawn or Spawn after being released from his power/magic cap
4)Beta Ray Thor

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
May 01, 2008 02:06PM
That is one sweet team, man. Definitely agree about using Shadowcat for the Air element. Based on their histories, do you think this team would work well together?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
May 01, 2008 02:09PM
Those are some serious heavy hitters man. A couple of my favorite characters in that group. Any of those guys by themselves would give the real Fantastic Four a run for their money, as a team, I pity the fool.....

Good team all around.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
May 01, 2008 02:26PM
the only possible conflict would be firestar and shadowcat not getting along, but i think darwin could mediate that pretty well, and Onyxx is young and would probably look up to the rest of the team.
May 02, 2008 03:14PM
Hmmm, well having thought things over for a while, and working out what I feel would go along with the classic elements format I'd suggest the following:

Paragon-She's as sturdy and powerful as the earth, strong-willed to the point of stubborn at times she provides the foundation that supports the rest of her group against whatever threat comes their way. Having survived the most crushing conditions she continues to fight on with the relentless movement of the Earth's tectonic plates.

Wavelength-Embodying the boundless energy of fire she can unleash the entire electromagnetic spectrum as she desires and shape it to her will, to create or destroy however she desires. When the group needs the energy to continue on she's there to provide it literally or figuratively with her boundless energy and joy for life.

Seraphim-More at home in the air than on the ground as one would expect from her original species start she rides the winds as if they were part of her, her mind free to soar as unrestricted as the very air she glides upon. Her heart and mind flit about as unrestrained as the wind as she oversees her teammates and safeguards them from harm.

Perceptor-A calm and placid as the ocean he exemplifies the essense of water, flowing with events as they go around him and touches upon everything as he senses the ripples of everyone's actions upon the the waters that are Reality itself. Being of water he's impossible to crush or keep down, simply flowing around any force that seeks to beat him down and wearing it down with the relentlessness for which water is known.

Together they act to safeguard everyone no matter how great or small the threat as the Omega Force.

-- Peter David

Omega Force
May 02, 2008 03:27PM
Perceptor in Reed's role is so perfect. Plus Seraphim is like having an X-Men squad thrown in for good measure. Nice team!

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Re: Omega Force
May 02, 2008 03:35PM
Thanks, I was hunting until I suddenly realized how perfect Perceptor was for that roll, since even with the Force Field his interpretation is just as good for water as Invisible Woman is for air. Seraphim's a great slot in there without bringing something like the more complex of heavily powered X-teams that have happened in the future. Of her power sets she's naturally focused on her flight and psionic powers (although doesn't neglect the others when necessary). I should work up an alternate continuity where they're all teamed together sometime.

-- Peter David

Joe
May 02, 2008 06:41PM
How about this team...

Thor... earth, air, & water. His mother is "Mother Earth" and I think his control of weather would count towards air & water. You also have the physical power covered with Thor.

Magma... earth & fire. I think she would be a great replacement for the Human Torch. You also get the earth factor thrown in for good measure.

Iceman... water. I think he would be very versatile and also would be interesting to see him work with Magma.

Crystal... earth, air, fire, & water. Do I really need to explain this one?

So what does everybody think?
May 02, 2008 06:51PM
I'm going for four elements of a differing sort:

1)The Darkness (Jakie Estacado) - Dark
2)Liandra (from Fallen Angel) - Light
3)Deadpool - Chaos (i mean he's a nut smiling smiley )
4)Captain America - Order

Nothing flash, just my team, named the Fulcrum (as in Fulcrum upon which Reality turns)
May 02, 2008 06:58PM
I've always thought it was a brilliant move on Marvel's part to have Crystal as a Fantastic Four member, being that she represents all of the elements by herself. Very much the same way that the Super Skrull is a good enemy for the team due to his power set being a representation of each hero in the original roster. Also, the way the the first several Heralds of Galactus were based of the same elemental theory: Silver Surfer (water), Air Walker (air) Terrax (earth), Firelord (fire).

Thor is a perfect choice, and I love that you didn't overlook his 'earth' heritage. He is an astounding character even as a solo hero. In a hand picked group such as this one he is an awesome asset.

Magma and Iceman are creative as well.

Nice team.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Joe
May 02, 2008 07:06PM
Thank you. smiling smiley
Joe
May 02, 2008 07:10PM
How about this for a evil Fantastic Four.

Super Skrull,

Mimic,

Hydroman, &

Sandman.
May 02, 2008 07:18PM
Now I know your twisted. They would be a handful for sure.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
May 02, 2008 07:25PM
Particularly with Evil Mimic copying Super-Skrulls entire line-up to get the entire FF in one hit plus that of his allies.

-- Peter David

The Rebels of shadow
May 02, 2008 07:30PM
Heres my team

Spawn = Darkness
Luke Skywalker = Order
Hulk = Destruction
Ryu = Fire
Re: The Rebels of shadow
May 03, 2008 03:55PM
Hmm....y'know the Hulk could represent the Fire element too, in an emotional sense. His rage is sort of an internal burning. Just a thought. It is pretty cool that you included characters like Ryu and Luke Skywalker on your team. Yeah brother, I can dig it.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
TLD's Fantastic Four - Team One
May 08, 2008 01:17PM
Here's one of many team combinations I think would be comprehensive in terms of abilities and powers:

Binary: She's a cosmic class energy wielder and and excellent fighter.

Nightcrawler: Awesome combatant with his very flexible physical abilities and his teleportation is an asset to the whole team

Dr. Strange: A great resource of information and powerful magic.

She-Hulk: The brawn of the Hulk, with long legs attached, and without all that pesky rage.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Re: TLD's Fantastic Four - Team One
May 08, 2008 01:40PM
But would they really compliment each other and work well as a group? Particularly when you consider Dr. Strange did support the exiling of She-Hulk's cousin into space (unless you're ignoring events like the Illuminati and Civil War and WWH and going back before all that when the heroes were more heroic). How would they act cohesively to deal with a goal set before them?

-- Peter David

May 08, 2008 02:16PM
It's a tricky thing y'know.....I was ignoring certain events of the Marvel Universe just because I feel like some character acted out of sorts. But I'm okay with swapping She-Hulk or Dr. Strange out for either Colossus or Clea respectively. Ms. Marvel has really grown on me in recent times, particularly her Binary period power set. I'm sure you understand why and how. Building a team around her is interesting because she had been involved in both the X-Men and the Avengers in her different phases. Most people respect her, or would at least respond to her. I'm also a fan of having Luke Cage for brawn. Early on, I could not stand his character, but he has grown on me through the last couple of years. I'd also be willing to trade one of the magic users for a Psionic type like Xavier or Frost.

This team building exercise is very much like picking what powers would work best in combination for Mimic. A conversation you and I had on the old boards. This is a similar thing, but includes that varying personalities in the mix as well. Pretty cool.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
May 08, 2008 03:13PM
I liked her during her Binary period, as well as when she got back from Limbo and railed on everyone for letting Marcus carry her off when she was clearly coerced (only Hawkeye of all people even showing any concern at all about it), although making her an alcoholic like Stark was a bit much. I can see her functioning as a back-up leader but not running the team, even though she does have all those espionage skills and miltary training.

I can see Colossus doing for the muscle work and representing in a sense the element of earth as well, being an anchor point to Binary's firey and energic nature. I could well see him being the Thing of the Group next to Binary's Human Torch.

Clea and Dr. Strange are quite restricted by their respective positions and I think couldn't devote themselves to just a team or would end up using it for just their own goals in the magical arena instead of for everything around. Now Jennifer Kale is a skilled and as someone else pointed out under-utilized mage who could devote herself to such a group and quite powerful in her own right. Plus she's got that ghost mentor to help out and has experience working with very diverse groups (plus great eye-candy for those who like that too). Just a suggestion though.

Professor X would probably be good if he didn't already have the X-men tying him up, plus he focuses almost exclusively on mutant-related issues or ways of earning them positive PR instead of just heroics for the sake of being heroic. Frost might do with her shifting to a more heroic bent, and her possessing some engineering and electronic skills would also be a plus and she's good at running a team (even if she does have to work more on her personality). Her financial rating is a good thing as well for funding such a team. Why not write-up a short story about these characters getting together and forming their own form of Fantastic Four and get them a group name?

Ahhh yes the Mimic question, so fun trying to pick a good complimentary selections of powers for him without it being so overpowering that a GM would think him too powerful to ever let into a game with that set of powers. Still so many possibilities left unconsidered for him as well. Must be a great variety of him floating around with different powers than we've seen so far.

-- Peter David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 38
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.