Cosmos Cubed
June 28, 2008 12:52AM
Hyperion

Binary

Quasar

Nova (Ryder)

Midnight Sun

A powerful and flexible team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2008 12:53AM by Mr Happy.
Re: Cosmos Cubed
June 28, 2008 01:02AM
Can't believe I never thought of Hyperion for that mission. smiling bouncing smiley

Throw him, The Sentry, and Gladiator on the same team and just watch them thrash everyone. Then at the end Kal-El kills them all! cool smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: Team Building Concepts: The Official Create-A-Team Thread
June 28, 2008 04:02AM
Well I liked it more just for her obvious contrast with the others he's had, someone who held to her principles and dedicated herself to finding worlds without sentient life for Galactus and even changed his heart. She was truly the greatest hero of all in her Universe.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
June 28, 2008 04:14AM
If I'd been going with an all-canon line-up Carol Danvers during her Binary era would have definitely been one of my choices (with the more reasonable revised stats rather than the CL1000 Strength and Endurance of her original hasty write-up). I seem to remember Midnight Sun being a fairly easy win for Silver Surfer though but would bring some valuable abilities that would likely be unexpected and helpful given the battles in the Cosmic Trilogy. Haven't they amped up Nova to the point he's more cosmic being exceeding a herald of Galactus in power though?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
June 28, 2008 08:28AM
he has been juiced up a bit but i dont think he is herald level yet, he seemed like he was out classed by the Silver Surfer in last months issue
June 28, 2008 10:17AM
I'll agree with that. I definitely did not get the feeling that he Mr. Rider was on Norrin's level in that issue.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
June 28, 2008 03:23PM
So he's showing vastly fluctuating power levels due to the nature of the writers not being certain, even though as we saw with Super-Nova he was running powerful enough to slap the Surfer around and he didn't even have the knowledge base of the Xandarian computers in his mind like Rider does now to go with the power Super-Nova had.

-- Peter David

June 28, 2008 07:49PM
I'm thinking I would like to have Ronan the Accuser on my team for this first third of the trilogy. It could be real handy to have a Kree on your squad considering the context and setting of the story. Plus he's a pretty tough dude. thumbs up

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
June 28, 2008 08:05PM
Wouldn't he be working at cross-purposes with the rest of the group though? He'd be trying to get the cube and prevent the rest of the group getting it and/or use them as cannon fodder without some very serious motivators for him to treat the rest of the group as respected allies.

-- Peter David

June 28, 2008 08:52PM
Yep. But I was sort of assuming that he had been convinced to work with the team for the greater good of the universe. (as opposed to the Kree empire) It was more just to entertain myself really, as I think certain characters would breeze through that mission regardless of power rating, while other would struggle even though they rock the power party.

A Kree character would be able to hold the cube without it teleporting. Kind of cool. Ronan was just an example of that.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
June 28, 2008 09:38PM
A good point although probably a reason a GM _woudn't_ let someone like Ronan on the group, would bypass a lot of portions of the module including the fact that the heroes touching the cube its safety feature wouldn't be a problem as Ronan ranks a Sentry and the cube would teleport to him even if he didn't touch it after Super-Kree lost it. It'd jump right across all the RP in Attilan and go directly to the conflict with the Elders to take it and then to Galactus, although I imagine there might be a few GM who'd be able to go along with that I think most favor seeing to it everyone plays through the entire module instead of bypassing things. He does provide a really unique motivation there and might just cooperate with the rest of the group after learning what's up because preserving Galactus is of greater import to the Kree Empire since his destruction also takes out the Kree Empire.

-- Peter David

June 30, 2008 03:40PM
I'm of the opinion that the first mission is easier than the second or third in terms of the challenges faced. Most of what you run into in this mission would be easily dealt with by Dr. Strange, Thor (or Bill) and the Silver Surfer (or any herald really). I say that mostly because the road blocks are things pretty easily overcome by persons with high powered perceptions, teleportation, and a cursory knowledge of the universes major players. Having a Kree on your squad would definitely help too, as we already discussed. The other powerhouses help a lot (especially when fighting all the elders), but I think this mission would be fun to play with X-Men level characters (not Omega class), and with out boosting them as much as the Watcher can.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
June 30, 2008 05:24PM
I doubt X-men level characters would stand a chance without a power-up of some sort, Grandmaster himself could casually kill them all with a wave of his hand (like we saw the one dimensional counterpart casually kill all the Exiles and Wrecking Crew in the annual). They're good but they just wouldn't be able to handle an array of Elders, especially when many are completely ruthless and amoral and have no compunctions against using full power attacks that would easily overwhelm virtually any X-man.

-- Peter David

June 30, 2008 07:35PM
I didn't say with no boost. I said without as much as the Watcher can provide. In other words: Less than suggested for the module.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
June 30, 2008 08:44PM
Sorry for misreading that part, although I think they'd need the full boost to have a chance. Cosmic campaigns require cosmic power to compete.

-- Peter David

July 01, 2008 05:24AM
If the X-Men have Phoenix, they win.
July 01, 2008 05:40AM
Well the Elders might manage to take down Phoenix, but with everyone temporarily cosmic they'd have the edge (even Galactus couldn't kill them after all, only the In-Betweener was able to do so).

-- Peter David

Timewarp Trilogy Team Roster
July 03, 2008 08:33AM
With the question for the Cosmos Cubed trilogy previously started by I believe TLD what would be your dream team for surviving the rigors of the time traveling set of modules that end up taking you from WWII to the Wild West and to the origins of many of the top heroes and teams of the time before the ultimate finale? What six characters would you feel (within the scale of the modules, which weren't intended for characters in the heavy-hitter range and used the West Coast Avengers as the default team if you didn't create your own unique characters) would best survive the rigors without being too overpowered to make it a cake-walk? If you've unique characters of your own you feel would be working alongside established canon characters liste them too (although do post them in Your Favorites and give a link to them so we can all evaluate them along with the other characters listed).

-- Peter David

July 03, 2008 10:53AM
1. Havok
2. Colossus
3. Emma Frost
4. Beast
5. Archangel [metal wings]
6. Doop
July 03, 2008 12:22PM
An interesting line-up (particularly given some of them would end up meeting their past selves once you get to the third module in the trilogy). I gather Beast's there to help with the piloting and repair/maintenance of the time-ship with Emma as back-up along with Colossus for standard tank needs (like Wonder Man in the default selection), although who's Doop and how about explaining your choices to better see how you feel they do the job the best?

-- Peter David

July 03, 2008 12:57PM
Well I only vaguely remember those modules as i only read through them once and never actually played any of them. But having some sort of recollection, and going off of the necessity to be able to go through various eras of adventure, through a wide range of power spectrums i kep those factors in mind when selecting my team. Also, I decided to go with all X-characters so the team would have good cohesion

1. Havok - I chose him really for the cosmos cubed aspect, since he's cosmicly powered, after a fashion. he also has some leadership skills, but won't have the problems blending in that his brother might encounter. And since he doesn't have a love interest on his team, he should be able to keep his sh*t together long enough to help everyone make it out alive.

2. Colossus - He does serve the tank purposes that Wonder Man does, but he's also stalwart and makes a good psychological anchor. Peter's will to fight and press on may be a necessary morale booster when the chips are down. Also i thought the World War II aspect might be fun, so Peter could see what it was like for his grandfather's generation to fight for the soviet union.

3. Emma Frost - She provides necessary leadship skills to back up Alex in case he falls apart regardless of not having a love interest near by. I think she'd also be invaluable to help assess the time jumps and keep everyone appraised of their eras. She'd also be able to erase the memories of those the heroes encounter to prevent timeline messups. Finally, it would be fun to see how she reacts when confronted with a teenage Cyclops and Jean Grey.

4. Beast - the brains and good in a scrap.

5. Archangel - honestly I threw him in because he's one of my favorite characters, and i'm glad to see him returning in the pages of X-Force. But all in all, i think that he'd be a necessary counter when the X-Men have to face the brutality of world war II, as well as the lawlessness of the wild west. he's the bad cop.

6. Doop - he's the mysterious member of the X-Statix who i use for my avatar. I honestly think he's the only one that will keep the team alive when they have to face the cosmic stuff.

Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An interesting line-up (particularly given some of
> them would end up meeting their past selves once
> you get to the third module in the trilogy). I
> gather Beast's there to help with the piloting and
> repair/maintenance of the time-ship with Emma as
> back-up along with Colossus for standard tank
> needs (like Wonder Man in the default selection),
> although who's Doop and how about explaining your
> choices to better see how you feel they do the job
> the best?
Re: Doop
July 03, 2008 01:23PM
Here's a few spots for trying to get some idea of Doop and his / its capabilities:

Marvel Wiki page on Doop:

[www.marvel.com]

Wiki page on Doop:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Ben Reilly's stat writeup for Doop:

[www.angelfire.com]

Hope that helps somewhat...
Re: Timewarp Trilogy Team Roster
July 03, 2008 01:32PM
Ahhhh, okay, nice break-down there although I assume you felt Wolverine didn't fit due to his general overuse in things? After all even without his memories restored he has some remembrance of his time spent in WWII fighting for Canada (or was that WWI?) and certainly suited for that era and the Wild West (although perhaps he'd also be too much a risk of 'accidentally' killing someone like Nick Fury and making things worse due to temporal paradoxes). Emma would be particularly interesting in the third module given that communication sphere sent out by Kang that requires a telepath to access (although the module series assumes no telepaths in the group as it seems intent on requiring you meet up with Professor X and the original X-men shortly before they go in their historic first mission against Magneto and team with them to win the day).

*chuckles* That spud icon of yours is an actual Marvel character on an X-team?

-- Peter David

Re: Doop
July 03, 2008 01:37PM
And here I thought Squirrel Girl was the most over-the-top character Marvel had out in recent years...

-- Peter David

July 07, 2008 01:46PM
Doop is one of the worse characters ever made in comics history
July 07, 2008 02:04PM
Why is that?

dacat75 Wrote:
> Doop is one of the worse characters ever made in
> comics history
July 07, 2008 02:22PM
The whole X-Static team was IMO bad but Doop was the worse. I just never liked anything about him they way he looks like Simer from Ghostbusters, The way he was put in the same power levels as Thor, the whole Doopspeak thing, every thing about him is just lame, i pretty much feel the same way about Squirrel Girl. I would love to be able to write an issue of Marvel Team Up and team Doop and Squirrel Girl along with Frogman and have them killed off. But that my opinion, i know i probably like characters that others dont Darkhawk and Sleepwalker being a prime examples.
July 07, 2008 02:32PM
I liked Darkhawk and Sleepwalker although found the splitting off a copy of the kid's mind into the android form of Darkhawk somewhat annoying and that it hurt the character overall.

-- Peter David

July 07, 2008 03:22PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> I liked Darkhawk and Sleepwalker although found
> the splitting off a copy of the kid's mind into
> the android form of Darkhawk somewhat annoying and
> that it hurt the character overall.

I'll agree with that
Re: Timewarp Trilogy Team Roster
July 15, 2008 04:48AM
I'm going to say:

Moonstar

Thunderstrike

Blink

Northstar

Longshot

Just for kicks.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 19
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.