Team Building Concepts: The Official Create-A-Team Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: TLD's Fantastic Four - Team One
May 09, 2008 03:07PM
Since there are a wide variety of reasons that a team could be formed, I'll stick with my magic wielding choices. Although I have to admit that there are many things I like about having Emma Frost as a team member, so I'd consider her fighting for first place with Dr. Strange. As far as writing a short story is concerned, I'll have to pass for now, but it's not a bad idea for sometime in the future when boredom strikes me.

Sometime I hope they bring Mimic back, even as a background character for another title. But I'd really enjoy seeing him in his own book sometime, and experimenting further with his power set. He's a fascinating character for reading because his strengths are constantly changing. Perhaps someday they will find a niche for him even greater than Exiles. If they do....I'll be all over it.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: Team Building Concept: Who is your Fantastic Four?
May 11, 2008 11:05AM
Well this is an interesting thread. for a few reasons actually. 1st, is because I hate the Fantastic Four. That said, with Millar and Hitch on that title, i really enjoy it. Also, the FF is a book where I like all of the themes, characters, and setting, just the main cast gets on my nerves.

So i'll answer this in a couple ways. The first is a team i always enjoyed even though they were around for only 3 issues. The new Fantastic Four:

Wolverine
Ghost Rider
Spider-Man
Hulk

I like them and always wanted to see them come back.

Anywho, there was a team I randomly generated through rolls that became a FF for a universe i was creating, and even though arrived to at random, i really liked them as an FF roster:

Invisible Woman
Iron Man
Dr. Strange
Spider-Man

But now that I actually think about it, the FF team I would put together now is:

Thing [I think he really is as much the heart and soul of that team as much as Sue is the backbone (Earth)]
Nova [Richard Ryder - I think he is very much tied in to the sci fi elements of the marvel universe, and at the same time has a background that is strongly onnected to the FF. he also fits as the 'Hothead' that johnny typically fills, and yet, the Anihilation Wave and Conquest storylienes have also given him some maturity (Fire)]
Vision [Iron Lad Aromor Variant - I believe the Vision provides both the propensity for pure reason and knowledge, and yet at the same time has the wonder and curiosity of a child. (Air)]
Sister Grimm [ Runaways - Although connected with Fire in Mystic Arcana, I find her abilities being based on Creativity and her connection to her emotions letting herself get swept up in whichever current her feelings are flowing in make her my water selection. (Water)]
May 11, 2008 09:40PM
This is fun, my turn.

Marvel

Iron Man (the brains)
Hercules (the brawn)
Quicksilver (the hothead)
Black Panther (the calm)

DC

Batman (the brains)
Powergirl (the brawn)
Guy Gardener (the hothead)
Martian Manhunter (the calm)

The Darkness (the brains)
Spawn/ Pitt (the brawn)
Shadowhawk (the hothead)
The Savage Dragon (the calm)

note: originally I wanted to do just Pitt for the brawn, but he left Image. Still I put him in as an alternate choice for old times sake.

Braceyverse
My own personal universe.

Mr Happy (shapeshifting prankster)
Boneyard (a smoking, hard drinking super strong skeleton)
Krash (can absorb kinetic energy and induce kentic velocity)
Kensai (superhuman martial artist, think matrix and street fighter/mortal kombat)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 11:43PM by Mr Happy.
May 11, 2008 09:52PM
Interesting Line-ups there, and I gather you're thinking of the classic, truly heroic version of Iron Man there? With Black Panther's been upgraded to a scientific genius your Marvel Team also ends up with two scientists/engineers and serious wealth for building their headquarters.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 11, 2008 10:07PM
Yeah pre civil war Iron Man. And yeah, that would be a team with some serious resources!
May 12, 2008 09:08AM
Dude, those teams are sick. But, now you have me wondering which of those characters you would choose if you could only have one team. Would you take a hero from each team and mix? Then stir of course. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
May 15, 2008 08:54PM
Well I guess Im partial to my own boys when it comes right down to it.
TLD's Fantastic Four - Team Two
May 23, 2008 06:26PM
Here is a team of four I like, some of it based on conversations from other threads. I think they would rock as a base for an Avengers team, or a bizarre Fantastic Four.

Echo (Maya Lopez)

Mimic (Calvin Rankin)

Chance (Real Name Unknown)

Thunderstrike (Eric Masterson)

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
The Covenant
May 24, 2008 12:14PM
The Covenant
Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze [Fire]
Ghost Rider is a fiery character, from his last name, "Blaze", to his flaming skull head, and hell fire attacks.

Dr. Strange [Water]
For Steven, I looked at his mental aspect. He adapts, like water, to his circomstances very well. As Reed employs his science, Steven makes use of magic. Where Reed is physically fluid in movement, Steven is mystically fluid using his array of spells to support his needs.

Hellboy [Earth]
Hellboy is perhaps the most well grounded of this group. For that alone I would be willing to give him the earth "aspect". But he also has physical solidity, durability, and strenge that are commonly see in "earth" characters.

Witchblade, Sara Pezzini [Wind]
Sara started off a blunt and direct person. But as the serries goes on she develops a fighting style with more finnesse. It is this that I attribute to the "wind" aspect, as well as the broad array of options the Witchblade provides.

I know this group works together well, at least from a combat stand point. They were part of a larger group (Black Knight, Raven, Doctor Fate, Rag Man, and Blue Devil were the other members) that I used in a Heroclix "campaign". Personality wise? I am uncertain. Dr. Strange and Hellboy are probably the best team players and I know Ghost Rider was in a few groups (Legion of Monsters, Defenders, Midnight Sons, and Champions).

This group is very physical. Probably because I am drawn to the dynamic nature inherent in these characters. But ever group needs at least one support character. Which is where Dr. Strange, the group leader (as I see it) fits in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2008 12:15PM by Lokken.
May 24, 2008 01:25PM
Nice Team choice Lokken.

Ghost Rider is one of my personal favs, though i'm unsure whether his 'Powers only work at night' clause still applies, so having Strange watch his back in a daylight fight might be a good idea. Maybe make him a 'Darkness Sheild' of some sort.

Strange is a great leader choice but he's not really much of a fighter but with Hellboy, Johny and the Power of the Witchblade he can easily be kept out of harms way.

Sara has a more unique issue, the Blade hates 'evil', in fact so much so that it sometimes does its own thing, possessing her, and with a Demon and a Chosen of Mephisto (who though good guys still bear the evil taint) alongside her it could get very messy fast.

Besides that the only friction that may arise is about 'how far to go' with enemies, Hellboy and Ghost Rider are killers (Penance Stare is as good as death) and Sara, though a self proclaimed non killer will -if angry enough- kill her opponents (that and the uncontrollable nature of the Blade). The only one who would moan about the whole affair is Strange, your resident saint.

Now those might sound like negatives, but they're not, in fact they are the exact reasons why it would just make for a brilliant comic, not to mention if Hellboy and Johny start vying for Sara's affections. hehe.

Yosef
May 25, 2008 10:46AM
Those are some good observations Yosef. Thanks for bringing up the chaotic nature of the Witchblade. I had overlooked the aspect concerning it's hate of 'evil'. But that would make for some interesting group conflict.
May 25, 2008 11:18AM
No problem mate. Like i said your group conflict would make for the team being so dynamic and fun, i'd actaully like to see how that would play out in the MSH Rpg or a Comic if the lads at Dark Horse, Top Cow and Marvel would pool together.

I still remember The Darkness vs. Batman, and The Darkness vs. Superman. Those were good times.

Course nothing beats Spawn and Batman vs. the Joker who had teamed up with the Demon Mammon. Now that was a day to remember.

If you saw my Team ealier on it has the Darkness and Witchblade combo, you put Jackie and Sara together and things always go to hell fast.

Yosef
May 25, 2008 11:45AM
Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to read much of the crossovers. But I certainly would have liked to see Batman vs. the Darkness.

I did like the dark-light, chaos-order approach you took with the team you proposed. Deadpool certainly is a good representative of chaos. I'm not familiar with Liandra, however, it would be a kick to see the Darkness and Cap on the same team. I wonder if Cap could stomach working with a gangster type.

On the same note, throwing a mafia guy (Jackie) and a police officer (Sara) is nothing but trouble. Isn't the Witchblade, as an artifact, a product of some twisted union with the Darkness and the Angelus? It is supposed to be a form of balance ... so I understandable if being around the Darkness stirs up some sparks, heh.
May 25, 2008 12:09PM
Damn straight, that and the fact Jackie doesn't so much have a libido as he *is* one.

The boys got the worst limitation ever, a true 'do and die' dilemna, and Sara is one foxy lady who just happens to end up butt naked every time she 'Powers on'...complications galore.

Liandra is a Fallen Angel from the series of the same name, she's a true blue Captain America style in the sense she puts others first (in the comics case a little girl named Holly). So she's my Captain America type for the team.

As for Cap himself and Jackie, if you remember when those villians tried to join the Registration and the Punisher shot them, then Captain booted him from the program? Well shooting guys is small fry to the things the Darkness does to guys...real small...so its more of a 'who quiets' first deal between those two. And thats if they're in a good mood.

Yosef
June 08, 2008 10:48PM
CapoCastillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well this is an interesting thread. for a few
> reasons actually. 1st, is because I hate the
> Fantastic Four. That said, with Millar and Hitch
> on that title, i really enjoy it. Also, the FF is
> a book where I like all of the themes, characters,
> and setting, just the main cast gets on my
> nerves.

Just realized that I never replied to this. I'm not a big Fantastic Four fan either, and in fact only put this topic together because I like the teams arrangement conceptually. Otherwise I don't get much out of them, but to be fair, haven't read any of their stuff really either. Perhaps I should give it a chance, but they just never really appealed to me.

> So i'll answer this in a couple ways. The first
> is a team i always enjoyed even though they were
> around for only 3 issues. The new Fantastic
> Four:
>
> Wolverine
> Ghost Rider
> Spider-Man
> Hulk
>
> I like them and always wanted to see them come
> back.

I heard that this team was awkward....but rocked.

> Anywho, there was a team I randomly generated
> through rolls that became a FF for a universe i
> was creating, and even though arrived to at
> random, i really liked them as an FF roster:
>
> Invisible Woman
> Iron Man
> Dr. Strange
> Spider-Man

Okay this is a really sweet team, and I'm not really even a fan of Iron Man. Invisible Woman is my favorite of the Fantastic Four, and Doctor Strange is obviously very valuble to a team. Let's not even get started on Spider-Man. (because he's like the wicked hero here)

> But now that I actually think about it, the FF
> team I would put together now is:
>
> Thing
> Nova
> Vision
> Sister Grimm [ Runaways - Although connected with
> Fire in Mystic Arcana, I find her abilities being
> based on Creativity and her connection to her
> emotions letting herself get swept up in whichever
> current her feelings are flowing in make her my
> water selection. (Water)]

This one is funny for me a little, because I'm not a fan of Thing or Vision, although I do see their purpose on the team. Nova is someone who is growing on me since his empowerment after Annihilation. It's fun to see a Western type thinker, and American voice, in a character with that kind of power and in that setting. IT's very much the same as what I dug about Eric Masterson, not that I need to tell everyone that again.

I'm not familiar enough with Sister Grimm to comment.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
June 09, 2008 07:20AM
I'm going to choose some actual elemental-type folks here, whose abilities would interact in a complimentary manner,
and would also make a reasonably cohesive team.

Storm--Air, wind, weather
Magma--Earth/magma, "fire"
Crystal--all four elements
Meggan--elemental and empathic, animal communication, shapeshifting

Where Crystal goes, it seems Lockjaw follows--so there's your transportation and your
obligatory 'team mascot'/pet!

All four of these ladies have worked in various capacities in well known teams, and did well.
I would suggest Storm as the leader, due to her years of successfully leading the X-men.
All four have useful non-power-related abilities and knowledge that would be of use. Magma
and Crystal both bring a different perspective from their origins: Nova Roma and the Inhumans,
though Magma's experience with the New Mutants, X-force and other Xavier-related teams would
dovetail well with Storm. Meggan's the most powerful member of the team, hands down--but what
she lacks in self-confidence is something that she could gain with a strong female rolemodel and
mentoring from Storm. She's also got some good experience in teamwork from Excalibur. Her recall
of events on television and in newspapers etc could be put to good use as well. (It's been shown in
Excalibur's later run that she was able to read and had progressed to high-school level education
with the help of Kitty, Kurt and Rahne, among others). She's a natural mimic and actress, and
would likely befriend Crystal's companion, Lockjaw as well--being able to truly communicate with
him, due to the nature of her powers.

Just a few thoughts to toss out there...I've got a migraine and can't string things together too much
better today...

Cheers,

Niniri the Migrained

June 13, 2008 12:55PM
NiniriAZ Wrote:

> Storm--Air, wind, weather
> Magma--Earth/magma, "fire"
> Crystal--all four elements
> Meggan--elemental and empathic, animal
> communication, shapeshifting

This is a great team. Sort of a Femme Fatale Fantastic Four! (Say that 4 times fast tongue sticking out smiley)

> Where Crystal goes, it seems Lockjaw follows--so
> there's your transportation and your
> obligatory 'team mascot'/pet!

Awesome transportation at that.

> All four of these ladies have worked in various
> capacities in well known teams, and did well.
> I would suggest Storm as the leader, due to her
> years of successfully leading the X-men.
> All four have useful non-power-related abilities
> and knowledge that would be of use. Magma
> and Crystal both bring a different perspective
> from their origins: Nova Roma and the Inhumans,
> though Magma's experience with the New Mutants,
> X-force and other Xavier-related teams would
> dovetail well with Storm. Meggan's the most
> powerful member of the team, hands down--but what
> she lacks in self-confidence is something that she
> could gain with a strong female rolemodel and
> mentoring from Storm. She's also got some good
> experience in teamwork from Excalibur. Her recall
> of events on television and in newspapers etc
> could be put to good use as well. (It's been shown
> in
> Excalibur's later run that she was able to read
> and had progressed to high-school level education
> with the help of Kitty, Kurt and Rahne, among
> others). She's a natural mimic and actress, and
> would likely befriend Crystal's companion, Lockjaw
> as well--being able to truly communicate with
> him, due to the nature of her powers.

Dig the explanation and inclusion of character histories, behavior, and relationships. Well thought out team! the finger smiley

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Re: Niniri's Fantastic Four
June 13, 2008 01:23PM
The Last Duskblade Wrote:
> NiniriAZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Storm--Air, wind, weather
> > Magma--Earth/magma, "fire"
> > Crystal--all four elements
> > Meggan--elemental and empathic, animal
> > communication, shapeshifting
>
> This is a great team. Sort of a Femme Fatale Fantastic Four! (Say that 4 times fast tongue sticking out smiley)
>

The Foxtastic Four is less tongue-tangling and just as appropriate grinning smiley
Re: Niniri's Fantastic Four
June 13, 2008 02:05PM
Thanks, TLD, Redman... I put some thought into it, and decided to go with
something that truly reflected what the FF were supposed to represent in
spirit, if not fact/form: The classic four elements of air, earth, fire and water.

Cheers,

Niniri

Create your own Avengers
May 08, 2008 10:03AM
A simular thread was done for the Fantastic Four, this one is for the Avengers. Myself i dont care for the current teams, Mighty Avengers has to many powerhouses on the team, and the New Avengers would be fine to me if they replaced Wolverine and Spiderman those two are in enough comics with out being on the Avengers

my team and why i picked them
New Captain America, if your going to fill the shoes of the ledgend then you have to become an Avenger st some point.
Rachel Summers help represent the mutant population and every team should have a good telepath
Forge, another mutant for the team and give the team tech support
Jennifer Kale, underused mystic of the marvel universe adds magic to the team
Beta Ray Bill, team powerhouse represents both the alien and god aspects of the marvel universe i think he would work well with Rachel
Luke Cage added muscle helps keeps the Avengers grounded would be a good adviser to Bucky in his role as Captain America
Tigra team tracker experenced as an Avenger from her days in the West Coast Avengers
Re: Create your own Avengers
May 11, 2008 10:47AM
I would use...

Captain America [Bucky]
Sub-Mariner
Spider-Man
Iron Man
Invisible Woman
Dr. Strange
Songbird
May 11, 2008 11:53AM
other than spiderman i like the team, i think Songbird would make a great Avenger. i thougth of another team based on the Original Avengers using newer characters

new team original team

War Machine (James Rhodes) Iron Man
Antman (Eric O'Grady) Henery Pym
Stature ( Cassie Lang) Wasp
A-Bomb (Rick JOnes) Hulk
Tarene (Thor-Girl) Thor
May 11, 2008 11:57AM
Thor
Iron Man
Doctor Strange
Invisible Woman
Storm
Spider man
May 11, 2008 12:09PM
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Jean Grey
Rogue
Mystique
Thor
Wonder Woman
Batman
Namor
Joe
The Smart Avengers
May 11, 2008 03:38PM
1) Iron Man (Brick, Brains, Resources, & Power)
2) Professor Hulk (Brick & Brains)
3) Beast (Brains, Stealth, Fighter, & Humor)
4) Pulsar (Stealth, & Power)
5) Yellowjacket (Brick, Stealth, & Brains)
6) Vision (Brick, Stealth, Brains, & Power)
7) Dr. Strange (Brains/Mystic & Power)
8) Black Panther (Brains, Stealth, Fighting, & Resources)
Re: The Smart Avengers
May 11, 2008 07:10PM
An 8 person team seems unwieldy. And also, putting the Hulk on any line up seems like you're asking for trouble sooner or later. On a personal note, Pym's wifebeating @$$ doesn't ever deserve to be an Avenger again.
Re: The Smart Avengers
May 11, 2008 09:12PM
I imagine a there are more than a few who never rate a shot at being an Avenger again, but I agree Pym definitely is one of those. His problems with his need for fame and popularity, issues over his marital relationships with Janet, his obsessing over Ultron, and general lack of heroic committment makes him just not Avenger material.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 12, 2008 02:40AM
My lineup up would be
1. Black Panther
2. War Machine (James Rhodes)
3. Captain Marvel (the current one), yes I know he is a skrull but I think it would be interesting
4. Psylocke (current version)
5. Doc Samson
6. Northstar
So what do you think? I thnik this group would have some very interesting interpersonal dynamics.
May 12, 2008 04:22AM
In general i think the line-up has potential. I think there's an issue of this group lacking real leadership, however. Black panther seems the most likely candidate, although, I feel that he's a bit difficult to relate to by many, so i see there being some squabbles, I have though, always liked the idea of a nega-band weilder being on an Avengers roster, as well as Northstar getting moved up to the a-list. I would skip Psylocke, just because asthetically, I don't like her anymore. A victim of Chris Claremont's favoritism, she's now just a bit rediculous.
May 12, 2008 04:57PM
Keep in mind that I quit reading Marvel when Quesada threw continuity out the window to satisfy creator egos so I'm picking characters as I remember them from the 80s & 90s
Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Goliath (Hank Pym) pre-Bendis, the Crossing exonerated him
Wasp
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch
Vision

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 28
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.