Team Building Concepts: The Official Create-A-Team Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Create your own Avengers
May 12, 2008 05:25PM
Okay, back when they were all heroes rather than the ones that are villains with good press. Nice line-up overall, although what was the consideration for Hawkeye on the team given the others are all considerably more powerful or well-trained relative to him?

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 12, 2008 06:27PM
Hmm, I wanted to be careful as to not make a team that was given to criticism, but I'm just gonna put my two-cents in anyway.

1)Captain America(Leadership)
2)Vision(Flexibility)
3)Thor(Raw Power/Magic)
4)Wasp(Wild Card)
5)Scarlet Witch(Unpredictability)
6)Iron Man(Technology)
7)Captain Marvel II [Monica Rambeau] (Flexibility)

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
May 12, 2008 07:21PM
Everything's subject to criticism, the word itself is quite neutral after all, even if the context most have for it is negative. Fairly well rounded and such, probably take down just about any crisis that they had to deal with.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
May 13, 2008 11:37AM
Ah, very true and thank you sir! I hoped to please....

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
May 13, 2008 02:56PM
My Avengers team would be...

Captain America (Steve Rogers thank you very much)
Iron Man (Just seems wrong without him and Cap)
Vision (I'd work his wanting to be human angle more)
Spider Woman (Jessica's grown on me)
Hulk ( I like the instability for story reasons)
Wolverine (just to hear him banter with Cap)

Now that'd be an interesting read for me anyway.

"To each their own."
May 13, 2008 03:37PM
the only way i would be fine with wolverine as an Avenger is if he was no longer with the X-men or X-Force, and cut back on his solo adventures, but i must admit spider woman has grown on me as well.
May 13, 2008 05:37PM
Yeah, too bad about her... (Spider-Woman)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2008 01:06PM by Punstarr.
May 14, 2008 04:41AM
dacat75
the only way i would be fine with wolverine as an Avenger is if he was no longer with the X-men or X-Force, and cut back on his solo adventures, but i must admit spider woman has grown on me as well.

Hate to say it, but there's a reason Wolvie is in like 5 or 6 titles at once. The character puts asses in seats. Love him or hate him, wolvie sells him some comic books.
May 14, 2008 11:44AM
I've been waiting patiently for someone to bring that up. Very good point.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
May 14, 2008 12:15PM
oh i know wolverine sells and i know spiderman sells, but i think the Avengers would sell just fine with out him, i also think that X force would sell just fine with out him. I think there are several characters out there that if writers put some time and creativity with that they could sell jsut as well. Remember Woverine was around for years before he became a big seller. I also think its going to get to the point with him that eventualy people will get fed up with him, to the point of negativly affecting sales. Or it will become like Spiderman where writers run out of stuff to do with him and you get stories like the clone saga, or brand new day.

Anyone here old enough to remember Disco, super popular one day the next day everyone was burning the albums in the middle of a stadium
May 14, 2008 12:32PM
Hard to forget disco, at least for its influence on Dazzler's origins until she got tanked because after giving everyone a new character outside the mold they complained because of her not being a stock character. Frankly I loved Dazzler before they deconstructed her after Dazzler: The Movie (which had glaring plot holes, like her mutant powers improving/changing after absorbing sound from a few jumbo jets when before that she'd sucked up a scream from Black Bolt without any problems, 'ate' Klaw and was given Cosmic level sound exposure by Galactus).

Unfortunately the best character can end up suffering if the desire to try and profit from it goes beyond common sense, like putting them in every title even when continuity makes it impossible (and so far as I know Wolverine hasn't picked up teleportation as a power or Self-Duplication to be in all those contrary locations without contradictions resulting) or wiping out its entire history to try and poorly justify writing the same stories over again to make up for hiring poor writers.

-- Peter David

May 15, 2008 04:21AM
Or he's a skrull

I hate secret invasion. So much.

But the Nick Fury Issues in mighty Avengers are awesome.
May 15, 2008 09:47AM
I really don't care for SI either, although looks like Marvel's interest in actually involving the various godly pantheons in Earth affairs again means we'll be seeing godly intervention like we've never seen before in order to eliminate the Skrull conquest of Earth. Before now such intervention has been sporatic and quickly goes from epic to 'Huh? What godly battle are you talking about?' which is aggravating. This road trip with Hercules and Cho seems to be giving those neglected parts of MU continuity some involvement into things and coverage like we've never seen before (like we've been getting with the new Thor title).

-- Peter David

May 16, 2008 01:30PM
New Captain America
Spiderman
The Vision
Ms Marvel
Pheonix *
Marvelman *
The Destroyer *
Thor Girl

I think this would be a very well rounded team, and some new and unconventional blood for the Avengers as well. Now for the note.

Pheonix: This is Jean Grey, yep her again, but with a different twist. She is back from the dead and completely without the pheonix force. Instead she is still one of the most powerful telepaths/telekinetics on Earth.

Marvelman: Some of you might know this character better as Miracleman. However there is a president for a version of him being in the Marvel universe (the UK line). He is from the world destroyed by the Fury. So sine he has some Marvel continuity I decided to add him to my team.

The Destroyer: Remo Williams: Master of Sinanju. Marvel has done comics based on the famous adventer novel series so he was fair game. My Avengers are once again a govenment funded organiztion (not the civil war one), and the director of Cure has put Remo on call to the Avengers. This also means they must often deal with the quircks of his mentor Chuin.

For more infor on Miracleman and The Destroyer (Remo Williams) here are some links.

The Destroyer
[www.internationalhero.co.uk]

Miracleman
[www.internationalhero.co.uk] (Marvelman history)

[www.internationalhero.co.uk] (Miracleman history)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2008 01:31PM by Mr Happy.
May 17, 2008 05:42PM
Nightmask Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, back when they were all heroes rather than
> the ones that are villains with good press. Nice
> line-up overall, although what was the
> consideration for Hawkeye on the team given the
> others are all considerably more powerful or
> well-trained relative to him?

I like the play between him & Cap (classic Lawful Good vs Chaotic Good) plus his tendency to not take crap off of Iron Man.
May 17, 2008 05:50PM
Ahhh, going for the story development angle, the wild card who helps the others define themselves against his prodding.

-- Peter David

Joe
May 17, 2008 06:12PM
I was trying to come up with a fun team and this is what I got.

1. Mimic
2. Scarlet Witch
3. Longshot
4. Domino
5. Shamrock
6. Roulette (reformed)
7. Black Cat (when she had her powers)

I know it is a loaded deck, but I think in game terms, they would be very hard to beat. smiling smiley
May 17, 2008 07:06PM
Interesting line-up, almost everyone's a probability manipulator (or in Mimic's case can become one).

-- Peter David

Joe
May 17, 2008 07:16PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> Interesting line-up, almost everyone's a
> probability manipulator (or in Mimic's case can
> become one).

I was trying to think of any other Probability Manipulators in the Marvel Universe, but I was coming up blank. There was someone named Chance back in the Fallen Angels comic, but I don't see her stats here.
May 17, 2008 07:18PM
Unfortunately it's so heavy on one type of power they aren't very set-up to handle a variety of problems as sometimes even the best luck in the world won't save you.

-- Peter David

Joe
May 17, 2008 07:28PM
I know sad smiley But I think it would be interesting to see how they would do. Like I said before, in game terms it would almost be unfair. smiling smiley
May 17, 2008 07:31PM
True in game terms it'd take a lot of planning to manage attacks that no matter what the dice were to come up with would be disabling for the group. Of course that's not impossible to pull off and some have powers that negate or invert luck powers.

-- Peter David

Joe
May 17, 2008 07:34PM
Nightmask Wrote:
> True in game terms it'd take a lot of planning to
> manage attacks that no matter what the dice were
> to come up with would be disabling for the group.
> Of course that's not impossible to pull off and
> some have powers that negate or invert luck
> powers.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a team of 6 - 8 characters that would be almost unbeatable from a gaming point of view? I mean with out going above hearld level?
May 17, 2008 07:37PM
Chance's powers are Power Negation and Magnification. She's one of the most underused characters in my book, and would be very cool to round out a team. In fact, I'm going to throw her into my next team line up. The things her and Mimic could do together are out right scary.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Joe
May 17, 2008 07:38PM
The Last Duskblade Wrote:
> Chance's powers are Power Negation and
> Magnification. She's one of the most underused
> characters in my book, and would be very cool to
> round out a team. In fact, I'm going to throw her
> into my next team line up. The things her and
> Mimic could do together are out right scary.

Throw in Sage and look out.
May 17, 2008 07:41PM
Chance is also terrified of being made to look and act like a girl.

-- Peter David

May 17, 2008 07:43PM
Well that's debatable since it's really a matter of who is more creative, you in designing the team and everyone else trying to find ways to beat it. Plus trying to even as an intellectual exercise risks being accused of trying to be a roll-player or munchkin.

-- Peter David

Joe
May 17, 2008 07:46PM
What is a "munchkin"?
May 17, 2008 07:55PM
It's a derogatory term applied to people for playing in an agressive manner or trying to get it all over everyone else.

[en.wikipedia.org]

It's a form of powergaming but like many such derogatory terms it often gets applied to people and situations totally inappropriate for the term just in order to tear someone down.

-- Peter David

May 17, 2008 08:25PM
You and I are on the same page my friend.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 28
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.