Battle Royal - The Official Versus Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Battle Royal - Thing vs Colossus
April 18, 2008 02:14PM
Actually you may be mistaken. Remember that issue of Marvel Two-In-One Annual #7 where the Thing fight The Champion of the Universe? Colossus never even makes it a round! He hasn't done much better since and the Thing has tussled with some big time foes and cosmic beings at that! Taken alone with no history I believe the match should go the way you think it should, but given the history of both and the abilites beyond mere strength, Ben is the stand out to win. Besides, when did mere strength determine a fight over experience?

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
April 18, 2008 02:36PM
Particularly when the two parties are relatively close in Strength. Ben just has the edge, and Colossus just doesn't get the training or experience to use his strength to the skill levels Ben does. If the strength difference were more extreme it might make a difference as the experience just couldn't compensate at those levels (unless you're like Captain America and even he loses a fight on occasion) but that's not the case between the two. It's a bit ironic though considering how intent Professor X is/was on training the kids to battle that he didn't seem to include things like Martial Arts A , B, and E as a base requirement for the students. So focused on using their powers he seemed to neglect non-power combat training (something that might have given Cypher a better chance at living).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 18, 2008 03:42PM
Lol! Good point!

"Power Without Perception is Virtually Useless and Therefore of No True Value!" -Ryuken
Spawn -=VS=- Ghost Rider
April 18, 2008 05:46PM
What About

Spawn -=VS=- Ghost Rider

VS

THE FUGGEN LIEUTENANTS OF ALL HELL FYRE!!!!!!!!!

HELL YEAH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
[www.classicmarvelforever.com]
Expanded MSH Table

MOTÖRHEAD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 05:49PM by TankerAce.
Re: Battle Royal - The Official Versus Thread
April 19, 2008 06:30AM
Depends on whether Spawn still has finite power. If he does, he'll hold back for fear of using too much power. If not, Ghost Rider stands -zero- chance.
Re: Da Jugga-Not -=VS=- Dr. DOOMZ
April 19, 2008 01:47PM
I'm going to have to go with Dr. Doom on this one.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
April 19, 2008 01:49PM
I'm not sure if you were addressing me or not, but I'm in total agreement. It is Grimm for the win, based mostly on Fighting ability. Colossus is cool, and I actually prefer him as a character, but stats and history show that Ben would be triumphant.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

"We are not so alone in our uniqueness, I am coming to understand. Perhaps though every drop is individual, we all become the rain?"

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

"...whether or not a character is too powerful or not is entirely relative to the power level the capmpaign was designed to accommodate."

--Powersurge
Re: Spawn -=VS=- Ghost Rider
April 19, 2008 01:52PM
Dude, I'm with Spawn on this all the way, even at his original power levels. He's been able to do almost anything at all with his magic, plus he has massive amounts of combat experience from his former life. This is an easy choice for me, but I'm down to here the arguments for the contrary.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Magneto vs. Graviton
April 19, 2008 01:54PM
This is a pretty good match-up, and it is almost impossible to really decide the victor. Tie!

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Supergirl (Linda Danvers) vs. Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
April 21, 2008 12:47AM
This is a tough one for me to figure. If Carol is in her Binary form, I'm voting for her to win this one. Otherwise it may have to go to Supergirl.

Thoughts?

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
April 21, 2008 03:06AM
Spawn Vs. Ghost Rider

I hate to disagree with the everyone but I think ghost rider would take spawn. It would be a great fight but I think in the end that Ghost Rider would win. Ghost Rider has spent how many years wandering through hell. Not to mention that he took out satan by himself.

Just a thought
cypher
April 21, 2008 06:51AM
Except that last I checked, Spawn is operating at least on a Class 1000 level. He ascended and is essentially a god. GR stands zero chance against him as is. That may have changed, though... I dunno.
April 21, 2008 09:54AM
I think from what I remember reading of Skycutter's write-up on Spawn by the end of the series he divested himself of all that godly power and returned to something approximating his original form (minus the power limitations presumably).

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
April 21, 2008 08:12PM
No disrespect to any Ghost Rider fans[I am one too], but like Punstarr & TLD has been sayin...... GR really is no match for Spawnsad smiley. It really isn't a matter of debate. I know that opinions vary and I don't want to squash anyones, but the only thing GR has on Spawn is his Penance Stare. I will grant it is the only thing that can beat Spawn in "theory!"

In the FF cartoon series GR took out Galactus eye popping smileyand I completely support this possibility! smoking smileyAt the very least it was a cool idea! But his other abilities are not enough to handle any form of Spawn! Nothing he has can harm Spawn cause Spawn is first of all "undead,"[with a body of necro-plasm-capable of being dismembered and reasembled at will] and second his abilities go far beyond hell fire[like magic & flight or spontaneous teleportation], and let's not forget that he is more than just good or evil [anyone that follows the series will know what I mean], which means the Penance Stare may not work the same or at all.confused smiley Spawn's fighting ability and powers outclass nearly any foe and he also took out his version of Satan as well! Let's also not forget that his costume is alive and often fights with or defends him independantly of whatever Spawn may be doing. So at best, GR has a chance if you pick a weaker Spawn against a stronger GR. But pick Spawn at his strongest/most powerful and GR gets his arse handed to him.smiling bouncing smiley Not to overlook what Spawn is up to now, but if he has given up his ultimate powers it is only because it is foolish to write in conflict when the hero is practically a god?! So clearly it was an editorial move to keep the book interesting!

However......let's be glad we will never see this fight and at best it would be nice to see them team up!! Here's to hopin!grinning smiley

April 22, 2008 02:17AM
Dude, how the heck was he able to handle Galactus in the cartoon? That sounds craziness. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
April 22, 2008 05:42AM
The Last Duskblade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dude, how the heck was he able to handle Galactus
> in the cartoon? That sounds craziness. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It was kinda cheesy, but the writers of the cartoon decided that GR's Pennance Stare would affect the big G.
April 22, 2008 08:01AM
Understood. Thank you for clearing that up.

I'm now taking a bath with my toaster. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
April 22, 2008 09:58AM
"Dude"- That was funny! Thanks Pun for filling that in!

Richard B. Riddick vs. Deadpool
April 23, 2008 04:16PM
Since there is so much equipment involved in this one, let's assume that both parties have access to the same type of equipment. I've been trying to think of someone who would be cool for Riddick to fight in the Marvel Universe, and this one seems pretty good. If someone has another match up that sounds cool let me know.

The Last Duskblade
Q-Class of Earth-009

--Ariadne Oikonomedes

--Powersurge
Howard the Duck vs Rocket Raccoon
April 23, 2008 05:01PM
No weapons just beak and claw.
Can Rocket's military training overcome the deadly art of Quak Fu.
April 23, 2008 05:37PM
1. Deadpool by far... regen and teleportation aside, I think Deadpool's just plain a better fighter.

2. No one defeats one schooled in Quack Fu.
Re: Howard the Duck vs Rocket Raccoon
April 23, 2008 06:13PM
Rocket Raccoon for the win hands down. Howard couldn't even beat someone like Dr. Bong with a suit of home-brew power armor.

-- Peter David

April 23, 2008 06:26PM
I've just got to say that I've never even heard of Rocket raccoon.confused smiley Where did he come from?
April 23, 2008 09:22PM
He was originally introduced in the Incredible Hulk during his green innocent phase and part of the events that led to Banner's mind for a short being in control of the Hulk's body (before Nightmare destroyed it all). He existed as something of a law-enforcement officer in a place called the Keystone Quadrant on Half-world, where one half was dominated by robots that had been building a giant humanoid robot/spaceship for centuries. He and the other sentient anthro animals of his world existed to safeguard the insane humans of the world, although some of the animals sought to dominate as much of the world instead. He managed to get a limited series where he was instrumental in convincing the robots to device a 'toy' that would once used by the humans would cure them of their insanity and once that was done he and his people left the quarantine zone (the robots having learned how to negate the barrier) in search of a new world and left the old to the humans to live on. He disappeared for years until Quasar freed him and many other 'where did he end up going?' characters in the marvel universe (including Alpha the Ultimate Mutant and Futurian) from the laboratory world of the Stranger. Currently he's being kicked around Annihilation and its aftermath if Memory Serves.

-- Peter David

Hyperion vs Gladiator vs Sentry
April 25, 2008 06:23AM
Fatal 3 way. If he can find a way to break the confidence of Gladiator and Sentry then i say Hyperrion wins.
Iceman vs Electro
April 25, 2008 06:29AM
this match up could be fatal to either person, if given time to plan i see Bobby winning just because he has the edge when it comes to smarts
Re: Hyperion vs Gladiator vs Sentry
April 25, 2008 07:31AM
Nice one, but why a three-way? Hmm, I don't just disagree I boldly dispute Hyperion being a match for Gladiator or Sentry. Sentry is said to be like pre-crisis superman and Gladiator is more than that, but often hated for his similarities with the blue boyscout. They have defiled him time and again,moody smiley but the last we saw him get proper respects is when he fought Supreme to a draw.eye popping smiley Sentry is the doppleganger as he has no true reason to exist except for Marvel to have its own Superman. Ultimately Gladiator is as strong as he wants to be. He has high intelligence, extreme resistence to harm [in fact only one known type of radiation has been known to hurt him, and only Skrulls seem to know it]though he's often shown to be dumb and far weaker.sad smiley He has proven his powers and boasts in the books unlike Sentry! Sentry is powerful and a windbag! The only claim either guy shares and has yet to prove is the ability to move planets. And Gladiator said it first!smoking smiley He also survived being point blank at an explosion in space that was equal to a small supernova nearly unharmed! You should know it produced a star!eye popping smiley He can also fly in hyperspace and survive near indefinately in space unaided. He employs advanced Shi'ar technology that augments his own abilities as well! Retcons and haters may agrue otherwise, but his history was well established back when Marvel made few editorial errors and intended to create a continuity that has since been torn down and crapped on! As is, Hyperion is not in this class!confused smiley

Supreme or Shazam [Captain Marvel] is a better replacement! Yet, the fight between any one of them is great without need of a three way. Sadly the same hate for Shazam led to his being minimized in powers & abilities. In the beginning his power rivaled superman's, and may have surpassed it by way of magic. As one should know Shazam gets his strength from magic and not his muscles!eye rolling smiley Heck, he wasn't even a DC character. But that's off the subject. Obviously, it's clear I would pick Gladiator!grinning smiley He is the one true winner to me. He's superior in the fact that he is a warrior, skilled fighter, his powers are augmented psionically [mentally], and he has extensive experience in fighting many foes as captain of the Shi'ar Imperial Guard! Sentry.....to be announced?!

April 25, 2008 08:09AM
i agree powerwise Gladiator takes it, but a weakness he does have is self confidnece If he doubts himself his poweres seem to become weaker. Statwise i dont know what happens to Sentry but he has been shown to freese up when he gets filled with self doubt, where as Hyperrion dosnt seem to have this weakness. I think Hyperion is in the same power level, the whole concept of the Squadron Supreme was Marvels parody of the JL with Hyperion being the Superman. Evil versions of him such as the one that apeared in the Exiles have been shown to be very much on the same power level. Although i remember when the way they beat him was to bring in 2 other Hyperions i thought it was a cheesy way to to defeat him and wondered why they didnt bring in someone like Gladiator and maybe another power house such as Thor or the Surfer to take him down
April 25, 2008 08:36AM
Probably because someone like Gladiator would want to take over the Crystal Palace for the glory of the Shi'ar empire and someone like Thor would have destroyed the place during the battle, that and who better to know the strengths and weaknesses of the villain that you want to defeat than his transdimensional counterparts? I did find it cheesy though that they had him become some muscular bald guy after he regenerated back at the palace for no apparent reason when he looked identical to previous versions of Hyperion that had been presented. Power levels were inconsistent as well, and all the other versions of Hyperion have been shown having a weakness to (fictitious) argonite radiation, which is supposedly emitted by a radioactive version of lead. There was also the problem as to why Mimic didn't just mimic the powers of the evil Hyperion since even at half-power it would have given him a considerable step up in the fight (and he had no problems doing that in the fight against the more powerful Phoenix).

As far as the proposed 3-way goes, Sentry might have a slight edge IF he can defeat Gladiator's psionic-reflection power, although considering how inconsistent all three's powers have been presented it's problematic deciding who'd win in a battle that the variables allowed for all three to fight at his peak power and skill. Since each faux-Superman that Marvel's introduced has been more powerful than the last though (remember escalating power levels and creep is the thing for comics) since Sentry came last in the chain he's likely the most powerful of the three. Gladiator and Hyperion wouldn't have stood a chance against the overpowered Hulk during WWH yet Sentry met him on equal footing so I'd give the win in the end to Sentry.

-- Peter David

April 25, 2008 10:05AM
Possibly a decent “Fight”

Wolverine -=VS=- Silver Samurai

-=VS=-

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
TANKERACE

Tanker's MSH Characters
Expanded MSH Table

MOTÖRHEAD

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 25
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.