Battle Royal - The Official Versus Thread

Posted by The Last Duskblade 
Re: Battle Royal - The Official Versus Thread
November 24, 2013 10:10AM
I give the edge to Melville over Wilde.

Garfield ( the actor ) who trained as a boxer and came from a more physical background over a 25 year old Hitler.

how about in their prime.
[en.wikipedia.org] VS. [en.wikipedia.org]

in their prime.
December 17, 2013 05:28AM
Ok fanwank aside, heres one that i have been thinking about for a while...

Steve Rogers (comic version not movies or cartoon series)
Verses
Slade Wilson (comic version not tv or cartoon series)

Honestly my money is on Slade. He has single handedly beat the entire teen titans line up on various occasions and whupped bruce wayne at least once without seeming to work up much of a sweat if memory serves corectly.
Thoughts on the matter?

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

"Nothing's forgotten. Nothing's ever Forgotten" Robin of Locksley

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
December 18, 2013 11:35AM
Depends on which era of comics Cap we're talking. During the last decade or so, I'd have to give it to Cap as he's been much less "star-spangled sentinel of liberty" and more "super soldier". And even then, unless something important was on the line - like Deathstroke is gunning for the president - I'd say it would be more of him spoiling slade's plans/holding his own until Slade decides he's got better things to do with his time.

This is one of those rare occasions where the opponents are literally evenly matched in ability and experience, so it comes down to tactical thinking. Slade's better at tactical planning than Bruce, but his knowledge base is the same as Steve's. He'd definitely throw Cap a few surprises, but since they're both waging war and not playing chess, the parameters of victory is not to out-think your opponent, but to overwhelm him. Cap's defense can take anything Slade throws at him, but Slade's offense will suppress Cap's forward progression. Cap can only win by making himself vunlerable to attack; Slade can only win by achieving his objective (whatever that may be).

So, assuming beating Cap is his objective, he wouldn't go about it in a straight up, toe-to-toe fight unless he already had an edge (poison, gas, months long psychological attack, or the tried and true "Terra" gambit [poorly executed by the Red Skull w/the Falcon]), in which case you can't really answer the question of which one is better. If Slade's objective is taking out someone else, then he beats Cap only if he can distract him by a)focusing on the target or b) pretending to focus on the target. If Cap is the objective but not previously weakened, the match is either a tie or Slade is routed (to prepare an edge for next time, and if the target is someone else Cap will win by either a) protecting the target or b) letting someone else protect the target (probably the widow or someone as competent) and using Slade's objective as bait...and that still leaves Slade getting away to plan for another day.

But if you just toss them in a ring and just let them duke it out, I'd go with Steve by tko in round 12.

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! " - Homer J. Simpson

s320x240

"I want you to know that I believe in an idea¦that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose that one man can win a war.

Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction¦and he can change the world."
December 18, 2013 11:51AM
...although it should be said that Deathstroke, at the beginning of his career, vs Cap at the beginning of his would beat Cap like he was a crowbar and Cap was Jason Todd. "Stat-wise", Slade's slowed down over the years...

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman! " - Homer J. Simpson

s320x240

"I want you to know that I believe in an idea¦that a single individual who has the right heart and the right mind that is consumed with a single purpose that one man can win a war.

Give that one man a group of soldiers with the same conviction¦and he can change the world."
December 20, 2013 12:39AM
Slade also got his backside out-strategized and out-fought by Green Arrow... confused smiley

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 20, 2013 01:23PM
Thrudjelmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slade also got his backside out-strategized and out-fought by Green Arrow... confused smiley

I'm talking about Comcs Slade. not Arrow TV series Slade.

I find it hard to believe that Comics Slade got out strategized by Green Arrow, yet Batman couln't manage it.. If he did, could you cite which issues it happened in?

"See what we learned today Mr. Scruffy? Solve a man's problems with violence help him for a day. TEACH a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a life time!" - Belkar Bitterleaf to Mr. Scruffy the cat

"Just because you post a lot doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about" - Me

"I say a lot of things sometimes that don't come out right, And I act like I don't know why I guess a reaction is all I was looking for. You looked through me, you really knew me like no one has EVER looked before. Baby on your own you take a cautious step, Do you wanna give it up?" Shine - Mr. Big

Snake Eyes is Batman if Batman used an Uzi and Trench Knives when he wanted to be LESS dangerous. - Brotherless One
December 20, 2013 01:45PM
Chronomancer Wrote:
> Thrudjelmer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Slade also got his backside out-strategized and
> out-fought by Green Arrow... confused smiley
>
> I'm talking about Comcs Slade. not Arrow TV series
> Slade.
>
> I find it hard to believe that Comics Slade got
> out strategized by Green Arrow, yet Batman couln't
> manage it.. If he did, could you cite which issues
> it happened in?

Everybody has an off day, or as TVtropes calls it 'Worf had the flu'. Just look at Batman in the animated Justice League: Doom: failed to realize Mirror Master had infiltrated his car, failed to notice that his systems were hacked, failed to realize the guy calling him to the gravesite for his parents clearly wasn't a normal person and was in fact one of his enemies, didn't even have enough sense to wait for the rest of the Justice League to show up before confronting the Royal Flush gang which was strategically unsound.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Nightmask Character Sheet

[www.classicmarvelforever.com] - Paragon Character Sheet

[www.schlockmercenary.com] - The Gospel of Uncle Ben

[www.furaffinity.net] - Website of Marvel Comics Artist Rusty Haller. R.I.P

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
December 20, 2013 08:12PM
Chronomancer Wrote:
> I'm talking about Comcs Slade. not Arrow TV series
> Slade.
>
> I find it hard to believe that Comics Slade got
> out strategized by Green Arrow, yet Batman couln't
> manage it.. If he did, could you cite which issues
> it happened in?

It was during the first arc of Green Arrow just post "1 year later"...but it was less Ollie out-thinking Slade and more Slade completely under-estimating Ollie. And I THINK it was retconned within the space of a couple months to have been part of Slade's larger plan to get captured (to get closer to another target).

from wikpedia:
"Slade appears in the Green Arrow series after the one year jump in DC Comics' storylines. Apparently in hiding, he nearly murders a crony of several Star City businessmen who want to hire him for a murder. Before finishing his violent refusal, he asks the name of the target. When informed that it was to be the mayor of Star City, Oliver Queen (whom Deathstroke knows is secretly Green Arrow), he spares the lackey and decides to take the job.

However, things do not quite go according to plan, with Green Arrow using the resources of both his identities, trapping him within a ring of armed National Guardsmen. The fight ends with Deathstroke's arrest and subsequent conviction and incarceration; however, this is revealed as a ploy to gain access to Constantine Drakon, another jailed foe of Green Arrow who has information on the hero's activities in the lost year, which include Green Arrow studying under Natas, an assassin who once trained Deathstroke himself."

s320x240

December 20, 2013 08:22PM
Brotherless_one Wrote:
> Chronomancer Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm talking about Comcs Slade. not Arrow TV
> series
> > Slade.
> >
> > I find it hard to believe that Comics Slade got
> > out strategized by Green Arrow, yet Batman
> couln't
> > manage it.. If he did, could you cite which
> issues
> > it happened in?
>
> It was during the first arc of Green Arrow just
> post "1 year later"...but it was less Ollie
> out-thinking Slade and more Slade completely
> under-estimating Ollie. And I THINK it was
> retconned within the space of a couple months to
> have been part of Slade's larger plan to get
> captured (to get closer to another target).
>
> from wikpedia:
> "Slade appears in the Green Arrow series after the
> one year jump in DC Comics' storylines. Apparently
> in hiding, he nearly murders a crony of several
> Star City businessmen who want to hire him for a
> murder. Before finishing his violent refusal, he
> asks the name of the target. When informed that it
> was to be the mayor of Star City, Oliver Queen
> (whom Deathstroke knows is secretly Green Arrow),
> he spares the lackey and decides to take the job.
>
> However, things do not quite go according to plan,
> with Green Arrow using the resources of both his
> identities, trapping him within a ring of armed
> National Guardsmen. The fight ends with
> Deathstroke's arrest and subsequent conviction and
> incarceration; however, this is revealed as a ploy
> to gain access to Constantine Drakon, another
> jailed foe of Green Arrow who has information on
> the hero's activities in the lost year, which
> include Green Arrow studying under Natas, an
> assassin who once trained Deathstroke himself."

Ugh, I really hate all the retcons to go 'no really he wasn't defeated it was all part of a plan' because someone's favorite character occasionally actually fails so they have to rush in when they can to go 'no really that never happened'.

"A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it."

-- Peter David

Be Courteous: Remember to quote who you're replying to so everyone knows who and what you were responding to.
December 21, 2013 06:39AM
Nightmask wrote:

> Ugh, I really hate all the retcons to go 'no
> really he wasn't defeated it was all part of a
> plan' because someone's favorite character
> occasionally actually fails so they have to rush
> in when they can to go 'no really that never
> happened'.

nah, the mix up is mine. I thought it was mentioned in another title but it was part of the same arc, two issues later.
December 26, 2013 10:44AM
Thor vs. Black Adam.

That is one scrap that I would like to see.
December 29, 2013 12:50PM
I think Thor takes this fight. THor vs Captain Marvel was a good fight in the DC vs Marvel series. I think Black Adam and Thor would go about the same. Adam would give Thor a great fight and have a decent chance of winning. In the end though I think the hammer makes the big difference and leads to Thor winning.
December 29, 2013 12:53PM
Thor all day. Black Adam is no push over but he's powered by magic lightning and Thor is the god of thunder.

s320x240

December 29, 2013 12:55PM
I think I may have asked this before in an unrelated thread (or maybe I just thought about it a lot and forgot...)

The Kree empire vs The Klingon empire vs The Sontaran empire vs The Zentradi (I'm not sure if they're an empire or not...)

s320x240

Gladiator vs. Silver Surfer
December 28, 2013 04:44PM
Has there ever been a no holds barred fight between these two?

It seems that the Surfer usually stays out of Shi'ar territory and is found mostly in Kree or Skrull territory if memory serves.

As I have never sen them go toe to toe (or toe to board as the case may be) who would win in an all out battle? The power cosmic makes Surfer more versatile, but it's not wise to underestimate Gladiator's powerset.
Re: Gladiator vs. Silver Surfer
December 29, 2013 08:58AM
Well, my knowledge of the most updated versions of each character is limited. The Surfer is way more powerful now than he was back when I was collecting.

If I recall correctly Gladiator has top end invulnerability, strength, endurance, flight and environmental survival. He also has (I think) heat vision and super breath. His power level is relative to his level of confidence. I don't recall him being a great thinker or using any sort of tech or having any sort of healing ability.

The Surfer has the Power Cosmic. It allows him to do a wide variety of power stunts but (to me anyway) it has always been an ill defined power. I assume that it allows the Surfer to get near Gladiators physical abilities and gives him additional options as well. Most importantly it gives him the ability to heal damage that Gladiator does inflict on him.

Overall, I think the Surfer takes this simply because he can heal himself and Gladiator cannot. The Surfer, Hulk and Superman all have accelerated recovery AND high levels of invulnerability. That should tip the scales in a fight with someone who is at their power level but cannot almost instantly regenerate damage that is done to them.

I think the Surfer should win this one.
December 29, 2013 12:33PM
The Surfer was mostly placed in Skrull or Kree territory because of the time period- 1960's and 70's respectively- is when he was most active (King Kirby creating all three). The Shi'ar were not representedd until the late 70's to 80's.
Surfer has always been "deus ex machina"- so powerful he's hard to represent and only faces god-like threats: Galactus, Mephisto, and so on. So he's really powerful- just under a god (think Zeus and Odin territory here).
The Gladiator is really powerful, but limited in powers (strength, flight, and invunerability) but not the scope the Surfer displays. He goes toe to toe with the Fantastic Four (and even lost) and Colossus (okay, he got that win after a while).
It would be a great fight, but I think Silver Surfer gets the win.
December 29, 2013 03:58PM
Silver Surfer for sure, hands down. I have the issue #341 of Uncanny X-Men where Cannonball is able to take down Gladiator.

Silver Surfer always seems to survive any encounter.

If you check out Uncanny X-Men #341 look for the guest appearence of The Punisher. :p
December 29, 2013 04:23PM
Anyone can take down Gladiator once his confidence is shaken.

A high post count is indicative of little more than one having the time to post frequently.
It does not mean a person is more knowledgeable on any given topic than anyone else.
December 29, 2013 06:12PM
I think Thor would beat Gladiator or the Surfer.
December 30, 2013 11:54AM
airedale Wrote:
> I think Thor would beat Gladiator or the Surfer.

And your reasoning for this would be....?

Thor is great and all, but without that hammer he's not much more than really strong mortal. Surfer, on the other hand, has Power Cosmic all the time. And from what I know of Power Cosmic, that pretty much grants him the ability to create Black Holes on command.

"Excuse me, Silver Surfer, but my Hammer is coming down upon thee!"

"I think not. Enjoy the excessive gravitational pull from the black hole that just opened up DIRECTLY ON YOU."

No contest here. Anyone with Power Cosmic should always and without question defeat someone without it.
December 30, 2013 01:18PM
Scarecrow71 Wrote:
> airedale Wrote:
> -----
> > I think Thor would beat Gladiator or the
> Surfer.
>
>
> And your reasoning for this would be....?
>
> Thor is great and all, but without that hammer
> he's not much more than really strong mortal.
> Surfer, on the other hand, has Power Cosmic all
> the time. And from what I know of Power Cosmic,
> that pretty much grants him the ability to create
> Black Holes on command.

Thor has more than that going for him, he's way more than 'just a strong mortal'. He's the son of an elder god after all, he's just somewhat lacking in opportunities to exploit that potential. His hammer is actually a crutch, while it aids him it also means he doesn't work on exploiting his full potential (and the writers don't want to generally power him up directly since he's already so powerful).

> "Excuse me, Silver Surfer, but my Hammer is coming
> down upon thee!"
>
> "I think not. Enjoy the excessive gravitational
> pull from the black hole that just opened up
> DIRECTLY ON YOU."
>
> No contest here. Anyone with Power Cosmic should
> always and without question defeat someone without
> it.

Not really, all wielders of it are not created equal, some are far more inferior than others and/or lack the skill to exploit it fully. Airwalker for example was created during one of Galactus' weaker times and so proved to be the weakest of heralds resulting in his death at the hands of a concerted assault by non-cosmic foes (one of the alien races that had survived Galactus eating their planet). Quasar was well on the way to beating the Silver Surfer (since his Quantum bands let him drain away the Surfer's cosmic energies) until he threw the fight since he was championing the bad guy. Terrax being mainly a brute relied overmuch on physical might and on that end the likes of Thor and the Hulk are more than a match for him, and so on.

-- Peter David

December 31, 2013 12:22PM
Here's a question from my 7 year old daughter

Who would win a fight between She-Ra and Wonder Woman? I told her id ask around and get a general consensus for her
December 31, 2013 04:13PM
Chronomancer Wrote:
> Here's a question from my 7 year old daughter
>
> Who would win a fight between She-Ra and Wonder Woman? I told her id ask around and get a general consensus for her

I win by making it a Pay-Per-View Jello Fight tongue sticking out smiley

Honestly, though, this is a pretty close matchup IMO. She-Ra's transformable sword gives her a certain edge in versatility, but it's certainly not a definitive edge against Diana by any means. And while Diana's displayed more of the classic warrior's hard mental and emotional edge when needed, she wouldn't bring it out quick enough that She-Ra wouldn't recognize the power and skill of her foe and step up her game in response. While the cartoon did dial things down for kid-friendly viewing, She-Ra has a lot of experience battling vicious slavers and conquerors, so I think she can match Diana's warrior mentality if it's called for.

If Diana can keep She-Ra grounded and away from her mount, then Diana gets a tactical edge in higher ground and can truly start dictating the terms of the fight. And Diana's speed and maneuverability may just enable her to do that. So while I think it would be extremely close and very drawn out, I think Diana eventually claims the victory, even if you figure She-Ra to be physically stronger.
January 01, 2014 01:23PM
Wonder Woman. No contest.

I vaguely remember He-Man vs Superman ba--

...ok, I guess there was a rematch recently, but what I was going to say is he-man's main advantage was superman's vulnerability to magic. Wonder Woman doesn't share that vulnerability. Her lasso and bracelets trump She-Ra's sword (defense) and -even if she doesn't start with one- her sword skill is at least equal to She-ra's. There's also the chakram-esque tiarra, giving diana a nice mid-range attack. and THEN you take into account her speed & flight gifts from hermes and her animal empathy/control gift from diana/artemis/whichever name DC's using that day (completely resolving that whole she-ra's mount issue), coupled with the "she prefers not to fight...but when she doesn't have a choice, she refuses to lose" mentality...

...Diana could take He-Man & She-ra is no He-Man.

edit he-man vs superman (new 52):

s320x240

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 01:24PM by Brotherless_one.
January 01, 2014 04:52PM
For arguements sake though, he man can take superman. Superman can take diana he man can therefore take diana...
She-ra is the female counterpart of He man, they draw thier power from the same place.

Wouldnt that mean She-ra beats Diana?l

January 01, 2014 07:20PM
I'd say its one of those 50/50 deals. It could go either way depending on the circumstances of the fight and story behind it.

January 02, 2014 12:30AM
only if you agree that superman WOULD take diana ( because of course he COULD quite easily, just based on sheer power level ). She's the pivot point between Batman and Superman, so it's kind of like asking "if bruce wayne travelled the world to learn how to become batman then returned to gotham and discovered he was 3/4 kryptonian (except for the vulnerable to magic 1/4, I guess...), could he beat he-man?"

Except that its nothing it all like that...it's more of "if xena was a demi-goddess...."

s320x240

January 02, 2014 04:08AM
What i also found interesting (ane hypocritical) is that in the dc realm superman is hurt by the power sword and it takes him down yet in almost every superman/thor mash up Mjolnir's magical nature is almost always dismissed?

I call shenanigans.. if the power sword can hurt superman than so can Mjolnir which can be argued is just as powerful as the power sword in its own way...

January 02, 2014 04:22AM
Chronomancer Wrote:
> What i also found interesting (ane hypocritical)
> is that in the dc realm superman is hurt by the
> power sword and it takes him down yet in almost
> every superman/thor mash up Mjolnir's magical
> nature is almost always dismissed?
>
> I call shenanigans.. if the power sword can hurt
> superman than so can Mjolnir which can be argued
> is just as powerful as the power sword in its own
> way...

Yes, they clearly ignore the magical nature of Mjolnir to give the win to Superman (and for the Avengers/JLA crossover basically added a special exception just so Superman could use the hammer briefly during the fight that has never been seen prior to that or since). Doesn't surprise me though, DC includes as part of their restrictions regarding crossing over Marvel and DC that Superman can't be shown losing to someone like Thor (it takes nearly a half-dozen heavy hitters to take Superman down and they have to gang up on him during the crossover to show that he can't be beaten by any single Marvel hero), same with never showing Captain America defeat Batman, the most they do is have it that Batman concedes (with of course a qualifier) that MAYBE Cap would beat him after a long, drawn-out fight.

I imagine since things with He-Man aren't so contentious they're more willing to allow the win to another company's hero like they won't allow to Marvel.

-- Peter David

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Heroes Currently Online

Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 35
Record Number of Persons Hiding Behind Secret Identities: 1815 on March 02, 2024

TSR is a registered trademark owned by TSR Inc. TSR inc. is a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a division of Hasbro, Inc.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used without permission.
Names(s) of character(s) and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof are Trademarks and © of DC Comics and are used without permission.
This site is not intended to make money. It provides resources to players of a game no longer being produced.